WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I am fine with that choice, interesting to see if they add a coach or two later like Byslma to assist or whoever if not employed by the NHL...

I don’t see Bylsma employed by the NHL for quite some time. He has been passed over a few times now. So his best move is to keep taking offers USA hockey offers. I could see Bylsma going the NCAA route.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Elliot Friedman reporting on NHL Network that the Rangers are actually very interested in David Quinn as the new head coach for them....that is pretty big news, not only for BU but for the US team at the WJC. If he becomes coach of the Rangers a whole lot of craziness ahead for two teams on scrambling to fill that void...interesting development.

I mean we have 6 months to prep not sure it’s too insane.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I don’t see Bylsma employed by the NHL for quite some time. He has been passed over a few times now. So his best move is to keep taking offers USA hockey offers. I could see Bylsma going the NCAA route.
I could see Hastings getting HC position and another NCAA coach that knows these birth year players well.
Maybe D. Cole , Mich st or S Sandelin , Minn- Duluth

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Vanbiesbrouck was named Johansson's replacement. Any thoughts about it?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Just throwing out what I’d send to the WJC at this moment, based on who they invited.

Tkachuk- J. Hughes- Wahlstrom
Farabee- Poehling- Chmelevski
Robertson- Norris- Hutsko
Mismash- Drury- O’Brien
Gruden

Q. Hughes- Walsh
Samberg- Keane
Anderson- Regula
Samuelsson

Primeau
Knight
Keyser

Reactions: clevelandcane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
There were no glaring omissions or inclusions in my mind of the 42 players named to the World Junior Summer Showcase roster. You could make cases for or against certain players, but no grossly incompetent decisions as we've seen previously. There's enough talent to compete for gold, and anything less than a medal would be a massive disappointment.

Notes:

Forwards
  • Players on my list that weren't invited:
    • Cole Caufield, Tyler Madden, Blake McLaughlin, Alex Steeves, Alex Turcotte
  • Players not on my list that were invited:
    • Noah Cates, Paul Cotter, Curtis Hall, Jacob McGrew
  • I imagine some folks will take issue with Caufield/Turcotte, but they'll get their chance in December if they're dominating next year.
  • There were going to be non-NTDP USHL forwards, the question was which ones? USA went with Cates, Cotter, Drury, and Hall. Cotter and Hall were a bit surprising to me over the other options, but interested to see how they do.
Defense
    • Ty Emberson, Max Gildon, Bode Wilde, Graham Lillibridge, Spencer Stastney, Wyatt Wylie
    • Matt Anderson, Josh Ess, Phil Kemp, Tommy Miller
  • I was surprised by a couple omissions, most notably Emberson and Gildon. I don't think either would have been strong contenders for the team, but both deserved looks at camp.
  • Everyone will key in on Wilde, but he didn't deserve to be here. He had a rough second half of the season with the NTDP and a dreadful U18s. He has a lot of talent, but he's far too inconsistent and right now, his lows are dreadfully low.
  • I'm a bit surprised at the Anderson, Ess, Kemp, and Miller inclusions. Not any one of them individually (I fully expected Kemp here), but that all 4 are here. I think it's more a sign that the staff is pretty comfortable with their offensive, puck moving options, but the shutdown role(s) are up in the air, hence Anderson, Kemp, and Miller, whereas the staff likes Ess for his skating ability and possible untapped offensive potential.
Goalies
    • Dylan St. Cyr
    • Kyle Keyser
  • Right now, Primeau and Knight should be locks with Primeau on track to start. Give the other spot to the next best goalie. Not surprised that St. Cyr isn't here. Yes, he's tiny, but I think they left him home because he basically didn't play last year as Cale Morris dominated in net for Notre Dame.

With the hockey season mostly over, figured I'd refresh my camp and roster picks a bit. The summer camp isn't the be-all-end-all when it comes to the final roster, and teenage hockey players can improve a lot in the next 8 months, but nevertheless, here goes.

World Junior Summer Showcase

Forwards (x25):

Evan Barratt
Cole Caufield
Sasha Chmelevski
Logan Cockerill
Cole Coskey
Sean Dhooghe
Jack Drury
Joel Farabee
Jonathan Gruden
Jack Hughes
Logan Hutsko
Brandon Kruse
Ivan Lodnia
Tyler Madden
Blake McLaughlin
Grant Mismash
Josh Norris
Jay O'Brien
Ryan Poehling
Jason Robertson
Alex Steeves
Brady Tkachuk
Alex Turcotte
Oliver Wahlstrom
Jake Wise

Defense (x16):

Mikey Anderson
Ty Emberson
David Farrance
Max Gildon
Quinn Hughes
Joey Keane
Graham Lillibridge
K'Andre Miller
Ben Mirageas
Alec Regula
Dylan Samberg
Mattias Samuelsson
Spencer Stastney
Reilly Walsh
Bode Wilde
Wyatte Wylie

Goalies (x4):

Spencer Knight
Keith Petruzzelli
Cayden Primeau
Dylan St. Cyr
Notes:
  • Players I had in January on my camp roster that I no longer included:
    • Forwards: Jack DeBoer, Patrick Giles, Gavin Hain, Curtis Hall, Erik Middendorf, Jake Pivonka
    • Defense: Phil Kemp, Adam Samuelsson
    • Goalies: Drew DeRidder
  • In general, I think the 2000 NTDP group will have good representation at camp, but the pack of players worthy of a tryout has clearly been identified in my opinion. I wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Hain, Pivonka, or Samuelsson ended up in camp, but I don't see what they have to offer at the U20 level right now.
  • I'd be fairly surprised if the team loses anyone to the NHL this go around.
  • Since January, the depth to choose from amongst the defensemen has noticeably improved. Guys like Wylie and Keane have really raised their profiles, and more unheralded guys like Lillibridge have had really strong seasons. You could make some strong arguments for other players not on my list, whether because they're types USAH will gravitate towards (Phil Kemp) or because of the seasons they've had (Cam York, Marc Del Gaizo, Jack St. Ivany).
  • Of the five 2001 born players that have been with the U18s, I only left Cam York off the list. He's earned an invite, so I won't groan at all if he's there, but the depth is really strong on the backend for this camp. Would be an unprecedented amount of underagers at the summer camp, but they're all deserving, York included.

Roster Prediction

Forwards (x13):

Joel Farabee - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Sasha Chmelevski
Jason Robertson - Josh Norris - Ivan Lodnia
Blake McLaughlin - Jake Wise - Logan Hutsko
Cole Caufield

Defense (x7):

Dylan Samberg - Reilly Walsh
Quinn Hughes - Mikey Anderson
Mattias Samuelsson - Alec Regula
Ben Mirageas

Goalies (x3):

Cayden Primeau
Spencer Knight
Keith Petruzzelli
Notes:
  • Most of the top 9 forwards or so are pretty easy choices, but then there's a lot of viable competition for the last 4-5 spots. Should be able to assemble a pretty balanced group overall with some star talent, but the star players will mostly be younger.
  • On defense, there should be 3 locks (Samberg, Hughes, Anderson) and then it's wide open. While the choices aren't clear cut, the depth is impressive. Big question is which right-hand shots are going to emerge?
  • It's Primeau's goal to lose right now as he had a great year and rebounded really well from his fairly disappointing preceding year. If Primeau falters, I would imagine Knight would take the reins.
  • All things considered, there's enough talent to compete for gold, and anything less than a medal would be a massive disappointment.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Goalies are not an issue.

Anderson, Ess and Regula should not be there over Emberson and Wilde. Not that I think any of those would make the team next year, but I still think the latter two should definitely be at the camp.

Gruden over Turcotte is an absolute joke. Its comical land. Turcotte should actually make the team, so not having him at the camp just doesn't make any sense.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Kids I enjoyed watching and hoped would be given a shot were Spencer Stastney and Cole Caulfield. Both impressed me at the U18s. I know Caulfield had a great year last year too. There's always next year... right?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Surprised by the Bode omission.

What happened to Adam Samuelsson? Was he never that good or has he just completely fallen off since joining the NTDP?

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Surprised by the Bode omission.

What happened to Adam Samuelsson? Was he never that good or has he just completely fallen off since joining the NTDP?
I saw him at the U18 Five Nations. He seems slow - like noticeably so. Can't imagine him sniffing the World Juniors unless they want an enforcer or just some big dude.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
If I'm correct they were keeping Poehling first like and Norris second and Hughes third.. Confirm me if I'm correct or not

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Didn't see it posted. Here are the rosters for both teams.

Also anyone reading it, it is not lineups, seems to be by their last names.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Seem to be two very balanced and equal teams. Is it fair to say that overall the forward group is a little stronger than the D core?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017

I'm planning on making it to Kamloops for the showcase. If i have to pick between those two teams which one do you think will be the better option?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->