WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Solid list, tons of depth again here, many names could be swapped in and out. You always put a ton of effort in your lists making the rest of ours look like dog vomit!

You think Kaliyev doesn't get an invite here? Or do you think he still has some issues that held him out of the USNDP camp year and a half ago??

I just can't imagine an underage non-NTDPer at the summer camp, especially with the depth of the NTDP 2001 class. Also, I'd rather Kaliyev play in the Ivan Hlinka, which usually overlaps with camp.

He doesn't have any issues with USAH. They offered him a spot on the NTDP team, but he chose the OHL instead. He should be on the Hlinka team after having represented Team USA at last year's Five Nations.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I just can't imagine an underage non-NTDPer at the summer camp, especially with the depth of the NTDP 2001 class. Also, I'd rather Kaliyev play in the Ivan Hlinka, which usually overlaps with camp.

He doesn't have any issues with USAH. They offered him a spot on the NTDP team, but he chose the OHL instead. He should be on the Hlinka team after having represented Team USA at last year's Five Nations.
True, but he seems ready for that challenge. I would love to see him at the Hlinka as well, so we will see how it unfolds.. but the issues I was referring to was the rumors he couldn't prove citizenship at the time of the USNDP camp...again that was the rumor, never followed up on it to its validity.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
True, but he seems ready for that challenge. I would love to see him at the Hlinka as well, so we will see how it unfolds.. but the issues I was referring to was the rumors he couldn't prove citizenship at the time of the USNDP camp...again that was the rumor, never followed up on it to its validity.

I've heard the one rumor from that OHL blogger that he was older than claimed, but not rumors regarding his citizenship. You have to have American citizenship to participate in USAH Player Development Camps, which he did last year (after his NTDP/OHL decision) to play in the Five Nations, so I'd say that rumor is unfounded; otherwise, USAH wouldn't have let him participate in those events if he turned down the NTDP before them due to citizenship issues.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I've heard the one rumor from that OHL blogger that he was older than claimed, but not rumors regarding his citizenship. You have to have American citizenship to participate in USAH Player Development Camps, which he did last year (after his NTDP/OHL decision) to play in the Five Nations, so I'd say that rumor is unfounded; otherwise, USAH wouldn't have let him participate in those events if he turned down the NTDP before them due to citizenship issues.

I heard the one about his age as well, figured that was bs too. I will have to see where I heard all that citizenship stuff from and try and post it here...I never really bought into it either, but when I didn't see his name on your list and then nothing on your notes below about him, was just curious if you were being cautious as well. If he dominates next year out the gate, he has to be there in December to at least show what he can do.

The one thing that I will say is that the 01' class is going to really push some of the players from the 00' group here. I have come away beyond impressed with Caufield and Turcotte. Both kids should be very high draft picks but potential players for this team as well. Then you can look at kids currently on the u-17 team carrying the load like Boldy, Rolston, Beecher, etc...very talented group of kids overall and what should be another loaded group for the u-18 team next year.

We have been doing this for a long time, I am not sure I can recall as many back to back to back groups with this much talent overall..hopefully these start translating into Gold medals again!

By the way, you enjoying the Knights run??? Amazing story there and can't wait to see what happens to youth hockey in the area over the next decade.

Reactions: clevelandcane

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

He was not offered a spot on the team. It was a school related issue that kept him from playing on the team. Something to do with his grades.

Hard to fathom how good this team would have been if they had rostered players like Kaliyev or Mastrosimone.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He was not offered a spot on the team. It was a school related issue that kept him from playing on the team. Something to do with his grades.

Hard to fathom how good this team would have been if they had rostered players like Kaliyev or Mastrosimone.

From Jeff Cox, one of the writers with the most sources at USAH:

"[Cade Webber], and Arthur Kaliyev who is OHL bound, are the only two players who declined the NTDP invite"

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd rather Janicke or Weiss get an invite to the camp than Gruden. Kaliyev should be on that camp list, although I understand the reasoning. Definitely think Turcotte should be on that team, he's better than Caufield, although both could make the team.

Reactions: AmericanDream

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
From Jeff Cox, one of the writers with the most sources at USAH:

"[Cade Webber], and Arthur Kaliyev who is OHL bound, are the only two players who declined the NTDP invite"

Webber made the team as 8th man and felt it was better for his development not to sign. Kaliyev made the team but there were schooling issues. NTDP is pretty strict when it comes to school.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
With the hockey season mostly over, figured I'd refresh my camp and roster picks a bit. The summer camp isn't the be-all-end-all when it comes to the final roster, and teenage hockey players can improve a lot in the next 8 months, but nevertheless, here goes.

World Junior Summer Showcase

Forwards (x25):

Evan Barratt
Cole Caufield
Sasha Chmelevski
Logan Cockerill
Cole Coskey
Sean Dhooghe
Jack Drury
Joel Farabee
Jonathan Gruden
Jack Hughes
Logan Hutsko
Brandon Kruse
Ivan Lodnia
Tyler Madden
Blake McLaughlin
Grant Mismash
Josh Norris
Jay O'Brien
Ryan Poehling
Jason Robertson
Alex Steeves
Brady Tkachuk
Alex Turcotte
Oliver Wahlstrom
Jake Wise

Defense (x16):

Mikey Anderson
Ty Emberson
David Farrance
Max Gildon
Quinn Hughes
Joey Keane
Graham Lillibridge
K'Andre Miller
Ben Mirageas
Alec Regula
Dylan Samberg
Mattias Samuelsson
Spencer Stastney
Reilly Walsh
Bode Wilde
Wyatte Wylie

Goalies (x4):

Spencer Knight
Keith Petruzzelli
Cayden Primeau
Dylan St. Cyr
Notes:
  • Players I had in January on my camp roster that I no longer included:
    • Forwards: Jack DeBoer, Patrick Giles, Gavin Hain, Curtis Hall, Erik Middendorf, Jake Pivonka
    • Defense: Phil Kemp, Adam Samuelsson
    • Goalies: Drew DeRidder
  • In general, I think the 2000 NTDP group will have good representation at camp, but the pack of players worthy of a tryout has clearly been identified in my opinion. I wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Hain, Pivonka, or Samuelsson ended up in camp, but I don't see what they have to offer at the U20 level right now.
  • I'd be fairly surprised if the team loses anyone to the NHL this go around.
  • Since January, the depth to choose from amongst the defensemen has noticeably improved. Guys like Wylie and Keane have really raised their profiles, and more unheralded guys like Lillibridge have had really strong seasons. You could make some strong arguments for other players not on my list, whether because they're types USAH will gravitate towards (Phil Kemp) or because of the seasons they've had (Cam York, Marc Del Gaizo, Jack St. Ivany).
  • Of the five 2001 born players that have been with the U18s, I only left Cam York off the list. He's earned an invite, so I won't groan at all if he's there, but the depth is really strong on the backend for this camp. Would be an unprecedented amount of underagers at the summer camp, but they're all deserving, York included.

Roster Prediction

Forwards (x13):

Joel Farabee - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Sasha Chmelevski
Jason Robertson - Josh Norris - Ivan Lodnia
Blake McLaughlin - Jake Wise - Logan Hutsko
Cole Caufield

Defense (x7):

Dylan Samberg - Reilly Walsh
Quinn Hughes - Mikey Anderson
Mattias Samuelsson - Alec Regula
Ben Mirageas

Goalies (x3):

Cayden Primeau
Spencer Knight
Keith Petruzzelli
Notes:
  • Most of the top 9 forwards or so are pretty easy choices, but then there's a lot of viable competition for the last 4-5 spots. Should be able to assemble a pretty balanced group overall with some star talent, but the star players will mostly be younger.
  • On defense, there should be 3 locks (Samberg, Hughes, Anderson) and then it's wide open. While the choices aren't clear cut, the depth is impressive. Big question is which right-hand shots are going to emerge?
  • It's Primeau's goal to lose right now as he had a great year and rebounded really well from his fairly disappointing preceding year. If Primeau falters, I would imagine Knight would take the reins.
  • All things considered, there's enough talent to compete for gold, and anything less than a medal would be a massive disappointment.
Great list! Thanks for the effort.

Are we sure the WJSS is in Plymouth again this year? Hope so. If it is, I'm there .

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
great news. I summer vacay in Kamloops.

I guess after that I'll make the drive to Edmonton to take in the Gretzky-Hlinka tournament.

my wife is going to be pissed.

Reactions: cg98

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Elliot Friedman reporting on NHL Network that the Rangers are actually very interested in David Quinn as the new head coach for them....that is pretty big news, not only for BU but for the US team at the WJC. If he becomes coach of the Rangers a whole lot of craziness ahead for two teams on scrambling to fill that void...interesting development.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
okay, looks like we have no coach now...wow, David Quinn to the Rangers!!

Massive loss for BU as well, have to imagine some recruits thinking twice at least until the head coach is announced there..can't recall this ever happening before, not sure who USA Hockey turns to next...Bylsma???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->