WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
He doesn't have much competition for the starting job at this point.

Not yet but I would keep an eye on Spencer Knight from the U17 team. Obviously it's early and he's only 16yo. However he plays well above his own age group and we'll see how well he does next season. It's hard to watch Spencer Knight and not come off completely impressed with his overall package.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Not yet but I would keep an eye on Spencer Knight from the U17 team. Obviously it's early and he's only 16yo. However he plays well above his own age group and we'll see how well he does next season. It's hard to watch Spencer Knight and not come off completely impressed with his overall package.

He should make the team, which is pretty impressive for a 17 year old. Too early for him to be in the starting conversation though I think.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I agree. He should definitely be in contention to make this team. I don't know about him starting, but making the team seems like a possibility.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
well, now that the year is almost over, I will update this squad as I have a few risers here. my defense stays the same, but adding two forwards to this mix- well deserving.

Defense

Dylan Samberg - A
Quinn Hughes
Max Gildon
Bode Wilde
Mikey Anderson
K'Andre Miller
Ben Mirageas

Forwards

Evan Barratt
Sasha Chmelevski
Joel Farabee
Jack Hughes
Ivan Lodnia
Josh Norris
Ryan Poehling - A
Brady Tkachuk - C
Jason Robertson
Oliver Wahlstrom
Grant Mismash
Jake Wise
Arthur Kaliyev -

Lines

Joel Farabee - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Ivan Lodnia
Arthur Kaliyev - Jake Wise - Jason Robertson
Grant Mismash- Josh Norris - Sasha Chmelevski
Evan Barratt

Dylan Samberg - Bode Wilde
Quinn Hughes - Mikey Anderson
Ben Mirageas - Max Gildon
K'Andre Miller

IF YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH ARTHUR KALIYEV, PLEASE LOOK INTO HIM. LIKELY OHL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR, STRONG ON HIS SKATES, WICKED SHOT - AND LIKELY TOP 10 PICK NEXT YEAR....I AM AFRAID WE LOSE BRADY TKACHUK TO THE PROS, THIS KID CAN FILL THAT VOID IF IT HAPPENS.

SO HAPPY TO SEE THE WAY JAKE WISE HAS BEEN PLAYING...WASN'T REALLY HAPPY WITH POEHLING AND NORRIS DOWN THE MIDDLE - BOTH SOLID GRITTY GUYS, BUT WE NEED ANOTHER PLAYER not named hughes TO REALLY GENERATE OFFENSE, AND THIS IS IT.

THIS TEAM LOOKS VERY STRONG AND VERY DEEP RIGHT NOW...THAT TOP LINE WILL BE A TREAT TO WATCH AS WELL....

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
well, now that the year is almost over, I will update this squad as I have a few risers here. my defense stays the same, but adding two forwards to this mix- well deserving.

Defense

Dylan Samberg - A
Quinn Hughes
Max Gildon
Bode Wilde
Mikey Anderson
K'Andre Miller
Ben Mirageas

Forwards

Evan Barratt
Sasha Chmelevski
Joel Farabee
Jack Hughes
Ivan Lodnia
Josh Norris
Ryan Poehling - A
Brady Tkachuk - C
Jason Robertson
Oliver Wahlstrom
Grant Mismash
Jake Wise
Arthur Kaliyev -

Lines

Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Ivan Lodnia
Arthur Kaliyev - Jake Wise - Jason Robertson
Grant Mismash- Josh Norris - Sasha Chmelevski
Evan Barratt

Dylan Samberg - Bode Wilde
Ben Mirageas - Max Gildon
K'Andre Miller

IF YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH ARTHUR KALIYEV, PLEASE LOOK INTO HIM. LIKELY OHL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR, STRONG ON HIS SKATES, WICKED SHOT - AND LIKELY TOP 10 PICK NEXT YEAR....I AM AFRAID WE LOSE BRADY TKACHUK TO THE PROS, THIS KID CAN FILL THAT VOID IF IT HAPPENS.

SO HAPPY TO SEE THE WAY JAKE WISE HAS BEEN PLAYING...WASN'T REALLY HAPPY WITH POEHLING AND NORRIS DOWN THE MIDDLE - BOTH SOLID GRITTY GUYS, BUT WE NEED ANOTHER PLAY TO REALLY GENERATE OFFENSE, AND THIS IS IT.

THIS TEAM LOOKS VERY STRONG AND VERY DEEP RIGHT NOW...THAT TOP LINE WILL BE A TREAT TO WATCH AS WELL....
My excitement for this team has grown so much in only a few months since January. The emergence of Kaliyev and the re-emergence of Wise will be huge for this team which was looking in danger of having a weak forward group. Hughes, Wahlstrom, Farabee, Wise, Tkachuk, Kaliyev, and some of the older guys is already looking so much better, and maybe one of the best nations. The return of Wise to the U18 team, along with callups, turned that team from a one line team into a mini all star team

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
My excitement for this team has grown so much in only a few months since January. The emergence of Kaliyev and the re-emergence of Wise will be huge for this team which was looking in danger of having a weak forward group. Hughes, Wahlstrom, Farabee, Wise, Tkachuk, Kaliyev, and some of the older guys is already looking so much better, and maybe one of the best nations. The return of Wise to the U18 team, along with callups, turned that team from a one line team into a mini all star team

definitely is looking brighter. there is talent here, and it would have been a balanced team, but we need some names to step up and happy Wise has stepped up, and hopefully USA Hockey doesn't forget to look towards Hamilton in the OHL for Kaliyev...USA Hockey is notorious for not looking at kids who have not gone through the USNDP in the OHL...

also, cannot rule out a Caulfield or Turcotte if they are tearing it up as well...not a typical thing as we have enough more advanced talent to pick from, but names to keep in mind as well...same for York...

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
definitely is looking brighter. there is talent here, and it would have been a balanced team, but we need some names to step up and happy Wise has stepped up, and hopefully USA Hockey doesn't forget to look towards Hamilton in the OHL for Kaliyev...USA Hockey is notorious for not looking at kids who have not gone through the USNDP in the OHL...

also, cannot rule out a Caulfield or Turcotte if they are tearing it up as well...not a typical thing as we have enough more advanced talent to pick from, but names to keep in mind as well...same for York...
Definitely. I hope USA Hockey takes the best players regardless of league. And if the skill is there I hope they wont be afraid to dip into the 01s outside of Hughes. I feel like this past year they left some of the more skilled 00 kids home and took older guys for depth that didnt really work out. If the 01s are there and playing well absolutely i'd rather them get the call. And then you have the benefit of bringing those kids back the next year or 2.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016

I hope we see Kaliyev in U18 Worlds this spring. Usually we see couple players outside NTDP so its possible. Of course Hamilton have to be eliminated before tournament.

Where do you think Hughes will play next season? I am huge NCAA hockey fan so it would be great to see him with Michigan next season alongside his brother.

Reactions: AmericanDream

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Where do you think Hughes will play next season? I am huge NCAA hockey fan so it would be great to see him with Michigan next season alongside his brother.

His mother's alma mater needs him desperately - he should go there and be the savior...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am really really liking Harvard recruit Jack Drury - talked about him in some other threads...this kid has been a beast in the USHL this season - pure consistency. He will be teaming up with Wahlstrom next year so I would keep a very close eye on him as he seems like one of those 2nd round picks that always find ways to sneak in here over a few others 1st rounders...

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Chmelevski signed with the Sharks and is closing out the year with their AHL team. Should be back to Ottawa next year though, right?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Chmelevski signed with the Sharks and is closing out the year with their AHL team. Should be back to Ottawa next year though, right?
yep, I posted in his thread in prospect section, that he can't stay, he is 18 and drafted out of the CHL - this is only a temporary thing...at least that is how I understand the rules and always have.

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York

What are people thoughts on Quinn? I have heard he wasn't afraid to play his freshmen if they were more talented than vets. Might it means we get more 2001s?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
for those that want to know more about Quinn, check out his story as a player. I was always sad as a kid when I read about him, there was an article that THN did on him right after he had to stop playing, I put it on my wall as a remembrance that nothing is guaranteed in this world...he was a good player, he had a bright future. I love the pick, I think it is the perfect choice for what could be a pretty young squad.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
With the hockey season mostly over, figured I'd refresh my camp and roster picks a bit. The summer camp isn't the be-all-end-all when it comes to the final roster, and teenage hockey players can improve a lot in the next 8 months, but nevertheless, here goes.

World Junior Summer Showcase

Forwards (x25):

Evan Barratt
Cole Caufield
Sasha Chmelevski
Logan Cockerill
Cole Coskey
Sean Dhooghe
Jack Drury
Joel Farabee
Jonathan Gruden
Jack Hughes
Logan Hutsko
Brandon Kruse
Ivan Lodnia
Tyler Madden
Blake McLaughlin
Grant Mismash
Josh Norris
Jay O'Brien
Ryan Poehling
Jason Robertson
Alex Steeves
Brady Tkachuk
Alex Turcotte
Oliver Wahlstrom
Jake Wise

Defense (x16):

Mikey Anderson
Ty Emberson
David Farrance
Max Gildon
Quinn Hughes
Joey Keane
Graham Lillibridge
K'Andre Miller
Ben Mirageas
Alec Regula
Dylan Samberg
Mattias Samuelsson
Spencer Stastney
Reilly Walsh
Bode Wilde
Wyatte Wylie

Goalies (x4):

Spencer Knight
Keith Petruzzelli
Cayden Primeau
Dylan St. Cyr
Notes:
  • Players I had in January on my camp roster that I no longer included:
    • Forwards: Jack DeBoer, Patrick Giles, Gavin Hain, Curtis Hall, Erik Middendorf, Jake Pivonka
    • Defense: Phil Kemp, Adam Samuelsson
    • Goalies: Drew DeRidder
  • In general, I think the 2000 NTDP group will have good representation at camp, but the pack of players worthy of a tryout has clearly been identified in my opinion. I wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Hain, Pivonka, or Samuelsson ended up in camp, but I don't see what they have to offer at the U20 level right now.
  • I'd be fairly surprised if the team loses anyone to the NHL this go around.
  • Since January, the depth to choose from amongst the defensemen has noticeably improved. Guys like Wylie and Keane have really raised their profiles, and more unheralded guys like Lillibridge have had really strong seasons. You could make some strong arguments for other players not on my list, whether because they're types USAH will gravitate towards (Phil Kemp) or because of the seasons they've had (Cam York, Marc Del Gaizo, Jack St. Ivany).
  • Of the five 2001 born players that have been with the U18s, I only left Cam York off the list. He's earned an invite, so I won't groan at all if he's there, but the depth is really strong on the backend for this camp. Would be an unprecedented amount of underagers at the summer camp, but they're all deserving, York included.

Roster Prediction

Forwards (x13):

Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Sasha Chmelevski
Jason Robertson - Josh Norris - Ivan Lodnia
Blake McLaughlin - Jake Wise - Logan Hutsko
Cole Caufield

Defense (x7):

Dylan Samberg - Reilly Walsh
Mattias Samuelsson - Alec Regula
Ben Mirageas

Goalies (x3):

Cayden Primeau
Spencer Knight
Keith Petruzzelli
Notes:
  • Most of the top 9 forwards or so are pretty easy choices, but then there's a lot of viable competition for the last 4-5 spots. Should be able to assemble a pretty balanced group overall with some star talent, but the star players will mostly be younger.
  • On defense, there should be 3 locks (Samberg, Hughes, Anderson) and then it's wide open. While the choices aren't clear cut, the depth is impressive. Big question is which right-hand shots are going to emerge?
  • It's Primeau's goal to lose right now as he had a great year and rebounded really well from his fairly disappointing preceding year. If Primeau falters, I would imagine Knight would take the reins.
  • All things considered, there's enough talent to compete for gold, and anything less than a medal would be a massive disappointment.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
With the hockey season mostly over, figured I'd refresh my camp and roster picks a bit. The summer camp isn't the be-all-end-all when it comes to the final roster, and teenage hockey players can improve a lot in the next 8 months, but nevertheless, here goes.

World Junior Summer Showcase

Forwards (x25):

Evan Barratt
Cole Caufield
Sasha Chmelevski
Logan Cockerill
Cole Coskey
Sean Dhooghe
Jack Drury
Joel Farabee
Jonathan Gruden
Jack Hughes
Logan Hutsko
Brandon Kruse
Ivan Lodnia
Tyler Madden
Blake McLaughlin
Grant Mismash
Josh Norris
Jay O'Brien
Ryan Poehling
Jason Robertson
Alex Steeves
Brady Tkachuk
Alex Turcotte
Oliver Wahlstrom
Jake Wise

Defense (x16):

Mikey Anderson
Ty Emberson
David Farrance
Max Gildon
Quinn Hughes
Joey Keane
Graham Lillibridge
K'Andre Miller
Ben Mirageas
Alec Regula
Dylan Samberg
Mattias Samuelsson
Spencer Stastney
Reilly Walsh
Bode Wilde
Wyatte Wylie

Goalies (x4):

Spencer Knight
Keith Petruzzelli
Cayden Primeau
Dylan St. Cyr
Notes:
  • Players I had in January on my camp roster that I no longer included:
    • Forwards: Jack DeBoer, Patrick Giles, Gavin Hain, Curtis Hall, Erik Middendorf, Jake Pivonka
    • Defense: Phil Kemp, Adam Samuelsson
    • Goalies: Drew DeRidder
  • In general, I think the 2000 NTDP group will have good representation at camp, but the pack of players worthy of a tryout has clearly been identified in my opinion. I wouldn't be shocked if a guy like Hain, Pivonka, or Samuelsson ended up in camp, but I don't see what they have to offer at the U20 level right now.
  • I'd be fairly surprised if the team loses anyone to the NHL this go around.
  • Since January, the depth to choose from amongst the defensemen has noticeably improved. Guys like Wylie and Keane have really raised their profiles, and more unheralded guys like Lillibridge have had really strong seasons. You could make some strong arguments for other players not on my list, whether because they're types USAH will gravitate towards (Phil Kemp) or because of the seasons they've had (Cam York, Marc Del Gaizo, Jack St. Ivany).
  • Of the five 2001 born players that have been with the U18s, I only left Cam York off the list. He's earned an invite, so I won't groan at all if he's there, but the depth is really strong on the backend for this camp. Would be an unprecedented amount of underagers at the summer camp, but they're all deserving, York included.

Roster Prediction

Forwards (x13):

Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Sasha Chmelevski
Jason Robertson - Josh Norris - Ivan Lodnia
Blake McLaughlin - Jake Wise - Logan Hutsko
Cole Caufield

Defense (x7):

Dylan Samberg - Reilly Walsh
Mattias Samuelsson - Alec Regula
Ben Mirageas

Goalies (x3):

Cayden Primeau
Spencer Knight
Keith Petruzzelli
Notes:
  • Most of the top 9 forwards or so are pretty easy choices, but then there's a lot of viable competition for the last 4-5 spots. Should be able to assemble a pretty balanced group overall with some star talent, but the star players will mostly be younger.
  • On defense, there should be 3 locks (Samberg, Hughes, Anderson) and then it's wide open. While the choices aren't clear cut, the depth is impressive. Big question is which right-hand shots are going to emerge?
  • It's Primeau's goal to lose right now as he had a great year and rebounded really well from his fairly disappointing preceding year. If Primeau falters, I would imagine Knight would take the reins.
  • All things considered, there's enough talent to compete for gold, and anything less than a medal would be a massive disappointment.
Solid list, tons of depth again here, many names could be swapped in and out. You always put a ton of effort in your lists making the rest of ours look like dog vomit!

You think Kaliyev doesn't get an invite here? Or do you think he still has some issues that held him out of the USNDP camp year and a half ago??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad