WJC: 2019 Team USA Roster Talk

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I know, they are probably just about the only team that he will be able to stay in the NHL for. Very unlucky for this team.

And you're right, a huge amount of USA's new wave of talent gets gobbled up by the few Canadian teams.

In Canada: Matthews, Gaudreau, Boeser, M. Tkachuk, Connor, B. Tkachuk, Trouba, Hanifin, Hellebuyck, Hughes

In America: Eichel, Keller, McAvoy, Werenski, Jones, Larkin, Mittelstadt, Debrincat, etc

Its kind of crazy how its worked out, considering theres only 7 Canadian teams to 24 American teams.
Meh, it's one guy..................and he's not Auston Matthews.

U.S is in great shape concerning eligible guys being able to play, almost 100% will be there. U.S fans simply won't be able to complain about who is not there.

Am I missing any guys already in the n.h.l who could be there? if so then I may be off here.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Meh, it's one guy..................and he's not Auston Matthews.

U.S is in great shape concerning eligible guys being able to play, almost 100% will be there. U.S fans simply won't be able to complain about who is not there.

Am I missing any guys already in the n.h.l who could be there? if so then I may be off here.
Tkachuk would have torched the WJC this year, so it still is a big loss as we (the US) typically do not have problems of losing top forwards yearly for this tournament. We have the depth to certainly overcome it, but it is still a big loss to lose your first line winger...or if you planned on keeping Farabee - Hughes - Wahlstrom together and however you roll those two lines.

Depending how he does for his 9 games, there still is a shot he can play depending where he would get sent. AHL or OHL likely would still send him here IMO, but if he sticks with the Sens he is 100% gone. I think the Sens have a tough choice here which I really didn't think a month ago. I felt Tkachuk a 100% lock to make and stick with the team...now the Sens don't look like the complete pile of steaming horse shit I was lead to believe, they could wait a bit here and make sure he is ready before keeping him up here.

Reactions: jj cale

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Tkachuk would have torched the WJC this year, so it still is a big loss as we (the US) typically do not have problems of losing top forwards yearly for this tournament. We have the depth to certainly overcome it, but it is still a big loss to lose your first line winger...or if you planned on keeping Farabee - Hughes - Wahlstrom together and however you roll those two lines.

Depending how he does for his 9 games, there still is a shot he can play depending where he would get sent. AHL or OHL likely would still send him here IMO, but if he sticks with the Sens he is 100% gone. I think the Sens have a tough choice here which I really didn't think a month ago. I felt Tkachuk a 100% lock to make and stick with the team...now the Sens don't look like the complete pile of steaming horse **** I was lead to believe, they could wait a bit here and make sure he is ready before keeping him up here.
I think it's a tad early to be saying the Sens aren't a steaming pile of garbage lol lots of team pop off a couple wins early then tank when the actually good teams figure it out a month into the season. Hard to leg out a season on pure effort.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Depending how he does for his 9 games, there still is a shot he can play depending where he would get sent. AHL or OHL likely would still send him here IMO, but if he sticks with the Sens he is 100% gone. I think the Sens have a tough choice here which I really didn't think a month ago. I felt Tkachuk a 100% lock to make and stick with the team...now the Sens don't look like the complete pile of steaming horse **** I was lead to believe, they could wait a bit here and make sure he is ready before keeping him up here.
You're right, losing a top line winger is a significant loss I guess, but nothing crippling, as you mentioned, you have far and away enough depth to cover Brady.

And you give the reasons perfectly about why he still might be available, I wouldn't 100% count him out for the team either, he's still not a given to stick.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I know it hurts for the tourney but I always root for our guys to go directly to the NHL. Seems like a good sign for USA Hockey.

Canada’s going to lose anywhere from 3-8 guys so I’m ok losing a couple.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
yep, he gone!

I had never seen him play before the WJC,( I don't get to see USNTDP or BU games up here) so it was his unveiling to me.

And what I saw was a decent skating kid with good hands, made quick,smart plays with the puck,engaged physically and just generally knew how to play the game and with a good frame to grow into.

I know it was just one tournament but you can see the assets a player does possess from one viewing.

So it kind of boggled me when I would read the boards here leading up to the draft and there seemed to be a lot of polarization about the guy. It seemed like 60-70% of the posters didn't really like his game all that much, they wanted their team to draft someone else in one of those top 5 spots.As a Habs fan I browse the habs board a lot and almost to a man the consensus was "anything but brady"

Now, I am not saying I am displeased with who we picked but I am saying that taking this kid would have hardly been some travesty like some were making it out predraft .

A lot of posters when giving their reasons for not wanting him at one of those picks as opposed to another of the main guys kept saying.......Upside,upside!!

Upside, Schmupside I say.

I don't claim to be an expert or anything of the kind but I have been watching this game since 1976 and I do know that if you have good physical skills, acumen for the game,can skate and have the right attitude then good things usually happen.

He has all of that, and thats upside.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I had never seen him play before the WJC,( I don't get to see USNTDP or BU games up here) so it was his unveiling to me.

And what I saw was a decent skating kid with good hands, made quick,smart plays with the puck,engaged physically and just generally knew how to play the game and with a good frame to grow into.

I know it was just one tournament but you can see the assets a player does possess from one viewing.

So it kind of boggled me when I would read the boards here leading up to the draft and there seemed to be a lot of polarization about the guy. It seemed like 60-70% of the posters didn't really like his game all that much, they wanted their team to draft someone else in one of those top 5 spots.As a Habs fan I browse the habs board a lot and almost to a man the consensus was "anything but brady"

Now, I am not saying I am displeased with who we picked but I am saying that taking this kid would have hardly been some travesty like some were making it out predraft .

A lot of posters when giving their reasons for not wanting him at one of those picks as opposed to another of the main guys kept saying.......Upside,upside!!

Upside, Schmupside I say.

I don't claim to be an expert or anything of the kind but I have been watching this game since 1976 and I do know that if you have good physical skills, acumen for the game,can skate and have the right attitude then good things usually happen.

He has all of that, and thats upside.

most people never saw the kid outside of the WJC, and just stat watched. Mittelstadt had the same thing as did Matthew Tkachuk. With both Brady and Matthew, they are pains in the asses to play against and their last name seems to have many root against them. they are some of the hardest working awesome teammates anyone could ask for which is odd why they both get so much shit on here.

Brady will not be here and that is great for USA Hockey overall, he can showcase his talent on a much bigger stage now. The rest will just have to step up.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
we are over a week into the CHL season as well as the USHL....NCAA is back up this weekend as well.

so what do we have as early risers from the CHL or USHL to keep tabs on??

Jason Robertson is off to a Cy Young start.

Kaliyev is doing great as well. Regula has been okay so far...Lodnia has been real good to start.
Bode Wilde has really stepped up, and Blade Jenkins looks good too..

Jake McGrew has been a pleasant surprise as well with Chmelevski starting off slowly..

overall a solid group of CHL names, surely missing a few....

EDIT- Cole Coskey starting off strong as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
What do u guys think regarding jordan harris. In the NCAA, hes already playing top pairing minutes, excelling offensively and defensively. 3 points in 2 games. His teammate is Primeau.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What do u guys think regarding jordan harris. In the NCAA, hes already playing top pairing minutes, excelling offensively and defensively. 3 points in 2 games. His teammate is Primeau.

he should have no shot, but his points came against a very weak Scared Heart team in the weakest conference in the NCAA in the Atlantic imo. I was really impressed with what I saw from him for a kid that just turned over the summer but we'll see how it goes as he faces much tougher competition.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
he should have no shot, but his points came against a very weak Scared Heart team in the weakest conference in the NCAA in the Atlantic imo. I was really impressed with what I saw from him for a kid that just turned over the summer but we'll see how it goes as he faces much tougher competition.
Yeah but he is playing top pairing minutes on a very good team.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
If we're throwing around names I'll stump for Max Gildon of UNH again. I certainly hope USA Hockey is willing to give him a look with a fresh set of eyes...

Through three games UNH has managed just five goals - and Gildon is 1-4--5 to lead the team. No one else has more than two points. No cheapies either as he has scored or been the primary creator for every UNH goal. He is also a +5 on the season as he hasn't been on the ice for a single goal against (UNH has allowed seven)...

He's playing top pairing minutes, as well as QBing the first PP and playing significant minutes on the PK.

I saw him tonight at CC and will see him again tomorrow. His game has matured - he is still a swashbuckler offensively, but he's much more sure-handed and dependable. Back on D all night and zero turnovers. And so, so smooth...

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
If we're throwing around names I'll stump for Max Gildon of UNH again. I certainly hope USA Hockey is willing to give him a look with a fresh set of eyes...

Through three games UNH has managed just five goals - and Gildon is 1-4--5 to lead the team. No one else has more than two points. No cheapies either as he has scored or been the primary creator for every UNH goal. He is also a +5 on the season as he hasn't been on the ice for a single goal against (UNH has allowed seven)...

He's playing top pairing minutes, as well as QBing the first PP and playing significant minutes on the PK.

I saw him tonight at CC and will see him again tomorrow. His game has matured - he is still a swashbuckler offensively, but he's much more sure-handed and dependable. Back on D all night and zero turnovers. And so, so smooth...

Gildon absolutely has to be on the radar.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
what are some of the "big" non invitees over the years that you guys can remember??? I recall Jack Johnson not getting an invite despite being a top 5 pick..I know Kyle Connor got absolutely shafted in his freshman season at Michigan..that was lolz! Trocheck was a bad non invite as well IIRC...seems he hasn't let that grudge up since...

who else was a big omission over the years from the December camp that DIDN'T even get invited???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->