WC: 2019 - Team Russia

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
The head of the Russian national team headquarters, Roman Rotenberg, told about the preparation of the team and the arrival of the called NHL players.
"We keep in touch with all the candidates for the national team throughout the season, including the NHL players. Now we can officially announce that Ilya Kovalchuk will arrive in the location of the national team on April 22, Nikita Kucherov, Evgeny Malkin, Mikhail Sergachev and Artyom Anisimov - until April 27, goalkeeper Andrei Vasilevsky - until April 28. We received all the necessary permissions from the clubs and confirmations of the players themselves.

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
So last year at this time Russia was having issues getting the best team together, and the Russia thread at HF was hopping. It was 99% gloom-and-doom complaining but it was busy.

In 2019 it appears that Russia may have not just the best lineup at the Worlds, but a team that could win gold in an NHL-attended Olympics. I know there are cracks to fill in but the bookends are there, and the potential top 3 forward lines are stunning to contemplate.

And the thread is so quiet. Austria has more fan interest on the board right now.

Serious question - is this a deal with Russian hockey culture where everyone can complain if the team isn't so great, but when you know you're probably gonna win, people quiet down so as not to be bragging?

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Serious question - is this a deal with Russian hockey culture where everyone can complain if the team isn't so great, but when you know you're probably gonna win, people quiet down so as not to be bragging?

An unexpected question.
I do not think that here it is possible to speak of any culture. I think in every country there are people who are ready to poke a finger at the national team when it fails. And when she achieves success, these same people either keep silence or say - see who they beat, third rosters of other teams or something like that.
And it’s just that in our country not so many people know English well enough to discuss hockey for example here. Maybe that's why it seems to you that no one bragging or shouts that we will definitely win.
On the Russian-language sites, in recent days I have already seen a lot of opinions that we will tear everyone at the World Championships, that we have the best roster and the like.
But always, every year there is another opinion that no matter what roster we have, we will still lose to either Canada or Finland. In our country, there is a bad attitude towards the leadership of our hockey federation, our league, towards the head coach of the national team. No trust in them. People often do not understand for what reasons some players constantly get into the team, especially from the SKA.

Sorry for the long text))

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Sorokin, Nesterov, Blazhievskiy, Kaprizov, Grigorenko, Andronov, Telegin (all CSKA) and Mikheyev (Avangard) are invited to the national team and will arrive on April 27.

IceHockey19

Jan 27, 2010
Moscow, Russia
my lines :)

Kovalchuk - Malkin - Kucherov
Grigorenko - Tkachev - Kaprizov
Namestnikov(or Gusev) - Anisimov - Dadonov
Telegin - Andronov - Mikheyev
(Barabanov, Plotnikov)

Sergachev - Provorov
Nesterov - Blazhievsky
Luybushkin - Yakovlev
Khafizulin - Zub

Vasilevsky, Georgiev, Sorokin

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

(Barabanov, Plotnikov)

Sergachev - Provorov
Nesterov - Blazhievsky
Luybushkin - Yakovlev
Khafizulin - Zub

yeah its a good team already, do you think more players will come from stanley cup?

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
An unexpected question.
I do not think that here it is possible to speak of any culture. I think in every country there are people who are ready to poke a finger at the national team when it fails. And when she achieves success, these same people either keep silence or say - see who they beat, third rosters of other teams or something like that.
And it’s just that in our country not so many people know English well enough to discuss hockey for example here. Maybe that's why it seems to you that no one bragging or shouts that we will definitely win.
On the Russian-language sites, in recent days I have already seen a lot of opinions that we will tear everyone at the World Championships, that we have the best roster and the like.
But always, every year there is another opinion that no matter what roster we have, we will still lose to either Canada or Finland. In our country, there is a bad attitude towards the leadership of our hockey federation, our league, towards the head coach of the national team. No trust in them. People often do not understand for what reasons some players constantly get into the team, especially from the SKA.

Sorry for the long text))

Hey no problem man. Mostly I'm just frustrated b/c HF is a good source of lineup info and last year it seemed like the Russian thread was very busy (with updates/whispers + the 2nd type of opinion you listed) while this year I feel like maybe some people are holding back out of excitement, like it would jinx everything to boast about the roster. I know there are Russian hockey fans here, they insult me all the time. ;)

I'm glad some fans are excited despite being skeptical of the Federation.

Some of the player selections are a mystery to me too. If I've got Ilya, Malkin, Kucherov, Dadonov, Grigorenko etc. already lined up, I'm going to Datsyuk and Mozyakin hat-in-hand and bent knees, to see if they'll go just one final time with a legendary roster. Instead they seem to focus on role players like Telegin, and if the superstars show up on their own time, fine, but whatever.

Finland has no chance to beat Russia in '19 unless a whole lot changes before 5/10.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

(Barabanov, Plotnikov)

Sergachev - Provorov
Nesterov - Blazhievsky
Luybushkin - Yakovlev
Khafizulin - Zub

Namestnikov is already ruled out.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So last year at this time Russia was having issues getting the best team together, and the Russia thread at HF was hopping. It was 99% gloom-and-doom complaining but it was busy.

In 2019 it appears that Russia may have not just the best lineup at the Worlds, but a team that could win gold in an NHL-attended Olympics. I know there are cracks to fill in but the bookends are there, and the potential top 3 forward lines are stunning to contemplate.

And the thread is so quiet. Austria has more fan interest on the board right now.

You are overrating this roster. Aside from Kucherov and Malkin there is not much depth and this coaching staff has already left some guys who should be there off the roster. Same old.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

(Barabanov, Plotnikov)

Sergachev - Provorov
Nesterov - Blazhievsky
Luybushkin - Yakovlev
Khafizulin - Zub

And that's what it should be:

Gusev - Malkin - Kucherov
Kagarlitskiy - Shipachyov - Kaprizov
Dadonov - Grigorenko - Buchnevich
(Barabanov, Plotnikov)

Sergachev - Provorov
Nesterov - Kiselevich
Luybushkin - Yakovlev
Khafizulin - Zub

Vasilevsky, Sorokin, Georgiev

Possibly after 2nd round of the NHL playoffs this might look completely different.

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
You are overrating this roster. Aside from Kucherov and Malkin there is not much depth and this coaching staff has already left some guys who should be there off the roster. Same old.

I didn't say they would be the *favorite* in an NHL-ympics but it could turn out closer to that kind of a roster than a typical WC lineup. Certainly more powerful than the Czech team that won in Nagano.

I'm seeing an elite NHL goalie, a fantastic KHL backup, and a point-per-game NHL forward on the *3rd line* of a preliminary roster. Can't think of a WC team in recent memory that had that kind of firepower. No idea why you left Ilya Kovalchuk off your lines but with just a couple more helpful NHL results it will be a very stacked team.

Heck, I think it might turn out so good that even you will have something cheerful to say by May 15th or so. A true Miracle on Ice!

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Certainly more powerful than the Czech team that won in Nagano.

You gotta be kidding me, you should have taken closer look to that olympics squad. That defence depth is incomparable, it also had the best goalie in the world, also more than half of them were guys who were stable players in NHL, some of them even becoming legends later, it’s true it got even better depth wise in upcoming years, doesn’t change the fact this squad is not better in any case.

True miracle on ice is USA squad this year, best team they ever had here.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
I didn't say they would be the *favorite* in an NHL-ympics but it could turn out closer to that kind of a roster than a typical WC lineup. Certainly more powerful than the Czech team that won in Nagano.

I'm seeing an elite NHL goalie, a fantastic KHL backup, and a point-per-game NHL forward on the *3rd line* of a preliminary roster. Can't think of a WC team in recent memory that had that kind of firepower. No idea why you left Ilya Kovalchuk off your lines but with just a couple more helpful NHL results it will be a very stacked team.

Heck, I think it might turn out so good that even you will have something cheerful to say by May 15th or so. A true Miracle on Ice!

If the Canadian team makes the QFs, they could be steamrolled by the Sbornaja in revenge for the loss in 2018.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
Russia has a good squad so far, but with the record late Championship this year it wont be unique in the end because so many more NHL-ers are to be expected. The difference wont be like in the cases 2008-2010, 2012 and 2014-2015.

We have underavhieved with greater squads before. Beside the constant fear of losing to an inferior finnish or canadian roster as usually, the Swedes have gotten much better in recent years and more NHL-ers showing up. At the same time USA seem to be able to fight for medals this year.

Also I still havent figured out who this coach really is or what the federations goals with him really are.

Im saying a solid bronze.

Planet Hockey

Apr 22, 2016
You gotta be kidding me, you should have taken closer look to that olympics squad. That defence depth is incomparable, it also had the best goalie in the world, also more than half of them were guys who were stable players in NHL, some of them even becoming legends later, it’s true it got even better depth wise in upcoming years, doesn’t change the fact this squad is not better in any case.

True miracle on ice is USA squad this year, best team they ever had here.

You're conflating the use of the word "powerful" with "great" or "effective." Nobody knows how well a team will play together until they're on the ice in the round robin.

I'm a huge mark for the '98 CZE squad, and have written on many occasions that Hasek played the greatest tournament of any GK ever in any competition. They had epic leaders on the top lines and a rock-solid blue line indeed. It was one of the bravest Olympic golds ever & they'll never get enough credit for it.

But from a pure firepower and numbers standpoint I do not see how you can make this argument.

(Your argument isn't "I disagree slightly" but "HOO BOY is that ignorant of the facts!" so that's what I'm rebutting. Not saying "Team Russia could beat the Nagano champs by 5 goals" or something, obviously nobody in the world was able beat them by 1 goal.)

Suppose the only 4 added players from here-out are Ovie, Gusev, Datsyuk and Mozyakin. You'll probably say "Datsyuk and Mozyakin both broke their arms on Thursday" and that's fine because I have a hard time getting timely news out of Russia. And sure, Vegas and Washington could run to the Stanley Cup Finals again. But I'm sure there are people I'm overlooking too (Svechnikov out of Carolina is a fantastic alternative if the Capitals beat the Hurricanes) so let's just add these 4 additional players and call it a final roster for the sake of argument.

Now you've got 3 lines of forwards who will likely retire with Hall of Fame accolades based on their NHL accomplishments alone, plus 2 of the best large-ice passers in history. Point-per-game NHL and KHL stars will be competing for 3rd and 4th line spots. The '98 Czechs only had 6 NHL forwards period and there was no comparable league to draw from back then.

It's like saying Phi Slama Jama was more "powerful" than NC State. It's a true statement even if they lost. Jimmy V's Wolfpack still WON, teams win not individual talents, but this isn't a prediction thread, it's a roster thread.

The upcoming Russia team could have more offense than some of the medal teams from so-called "best on best" Olympics. That's all I'm trying to say because they could still absolutely suck as a unit in Slovakia, who knows.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad