Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 9

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They will sell Lovren because apparently Hoever is the main guy for Klopp. He is still blown away on how good he is (training) and they don't want to block his path.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm not saying what SEPH is, in that it won't work because of the egos. I'm just saying that it's not outrageous to say that Griez has an ego if you see how he acts off the field. Clearly he's a world class player and can put his ego aside when it matters.
I'm not saying it won't work either, but that they all have egos and their talent is able to cover up those cracks.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I get that part, but depth is Matip, 2x 17 year olds and a couple of midfield players.

From the team that could very well end up playing the most games of all teams in Europe’s top flights.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not saying it won't work either, but that they all have egos and their talent is able to cover up those cracks.
You also said they were 'not that impressive'.
Lovren probably wishes to play more and Klopp can't fulfill that, so they let him get what he wants.
Yeah...Klopp has shown time and again he won't force a player to stay if he can't give them what they want. It's admirable, if a little risky.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also, it’s not simply a couple midfielders. They finished top four with one as a great attacking LB that played okay defense. The other played RB for years, but I think Hoever would be preferred.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If Fazio can survive in Italy Lovren will do brilliantly.

To me he is like Maguire underrated because of the occasional clumsiness. When he is fit I don´t think he is that bad. He has struggled with inconsistency in his career of course, but wouldn´t be the first time a CD properly settled at a fairly senior age.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would say he belongs in the top 3 of all-time, which is something you might not agree with.

Not that impressive simply because age is starting to creep on some of those players like Suarez and Busquets. Additionally, I see too many egos in that line up who can potentially butt-heads multiple times for our enjoyment.

:facepalm: C'mon mate, stick to what you know.

Reactions: Cassano

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Great. I hope they sell Lovren. Time will show.

I hope they do too. Which should tell you that you may not be right on this one.

I like Lovren, but there's no reason to pay the 4th CB 100k a week. We played Fabinho at CB against Bayern without VVD and did very well, there's plenty of cover overall in the squad.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I hope they do too. Which should tell you that you may not be right on this one.

I like Lovren, but there's no reason to pay the 4th CB 100k a week. We played Fabinho at CB against Bayern without VVD and did very well, there's plenty of cover overall in the squad.

Because you disagree with me that should tell me I´m wrong? Sure, I don´t watch every single Liverpool game, but I do watch them enough.

I can only envy the confidence. Seems to be a bit of trend among Pool-fans on this board for some reason.

I guess the good thing for Klopp is that he can do little wrong. Not that I think you should all behave like Spursfans that seem to believe you need at least 14 proper CMs to have any sort of depth. Spursfans also don´t realise that injuries come with a certain amount of randomness. Some years you get many other years you get fewer. To me this is risky from Liverpool. Even more so considering the amount of games you are going to play. If Lovren is too costly then you could have tried to pick up another Matip. Now you and others will tell me the 2x 17-year olds are ready. Maybe they are. Never really happens though. Even the supposedly amazingly talented player Ryan Sessegnon completely failed in the PL as a defender at more or less that age (I guess slightly older).

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
They will sell Lovren because apparently Hoever is the main guy for Klopp. He is still blown away on how good he is (training) and they don't want to block his path.
“Blocking his path” is such a silly concept. If Hoever is better than Lovren, his path won’t be blocked. If he’s worse than Lovren, then who cares? Unless the theory is that Klopp would play the senior player because of his wages/seniority.

For what it’s worth, I’m not singling you out or even saying you believe this (not trying to shoot the messenger). Just responding to a take in sports I see often and think is silly.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

You are one-two injuries away from giving regularly minutes to a 17 yo, and that is going to cost your team points, because there are growing pains with such young players, if the aspiration of the team is to win it all, and I think that is what your team should be gunning for, this is too risky.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Well I was definitely in the minority, but I felt that another top level CB should’ve been Liverpool’s top priority.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You are one-two injuries away from giving regularly minutes to a 17 yo, and that is going to cost your team points, because there are growing pains with such young players, if the aspiration of the team is to win it all, and I think that is what your team should be gunning for, this is too risky.

I agree that it is risky. I do also think that Klopp has good reason to be convinced of Hoever’s quality. He’s very good and would be a starter on a smaller, low table team. Can’t say about the other one.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Because you disagree with me that should tell me I´m wrong? Sure, I don´t watch every single Liverpool game, but I do watch them enough.

I can only envy the confidence. Seems to be a bit of trend among Pool-fans on this board for some reason

No, to be clear. I said that you may be wrong. If Klopp watches both players train every day and thinks that Hoever is as good an option as Lovren, I can’t disprove this because I’m not at training every day.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
“Blocking his path” is such a silly concept. If Hoever is better than Lovren, his path won’t be blocked. If he’s worse than Lovren, then who cares? Unless the theory is that Klopp would play the senior player because of his wages/seniority.

For what it’s worth, I’m not singling you out or even saying you believe this (not trying to shoot the messenger). Just responding to a take in sports I see often and think is silly.
Well blocking is a strong word but let's simplify it better.

1) Lovren wants to be a starter. Liverpool
/Klopp favour VVD, Matip and Gomez over him.

2) Lovren has high wages for a 4th option CB

3) Hoever is "apparently" ready for prime time as per Klopp and can definately cover for the 4th option at significant lower wages.

4) Liverpool is receiving a decent amount for his transfer.

To me it is not a bad situation although I am very unhappy and worried that Liverpool are collecting decent fees from transfer without re-investing into better player.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If you can sell your 4th string CB for 15m pounds, especially when he’s the quality of Lovren, you do it.

How many teams *aren’t* in a bit of a desperate spot if two of their top 3 CBs get injured?
Manchester United is in a difficult situation if either of their top CBs get hurt so there’s that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No it really isn’t. One injury and they play Matip. Two, it’s Hoever, three Fabinho. From there, yeah it’s a bit of a gamble but they like the other Dutch kid.

If they’re going four injuries deep on center back, they’re not winning the league anyhow.

I’m not saying the two Dutch kids are in the same caliber, but there was a good teenager playing for Ajax in defense for their run down the CL. At some point, if Liverpool think the kids can do the business they can do the business. It’s not like Gomez is really old. Playing next to VVD solves some problems

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How many of you have watched Hoever play a full game?

It's like taking a 17 year old Varane and making him the #4 CB. The guy is dominant at his age level, it is ridiculous. Now, if that translates to senior football, I don't know because I'm not watching him in training.

I think I'm fair when it comes to evaluating our prospects as well as I didn't like Woodburn and Ibe very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad