Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Again - that was not your argument.

I replied specifically to you singling out Lampard.
Exactly. I'm not expecting Chelsea to finish top 4, and it's solely because of the transfer ban. The ban also affected who would take over for Sarri, and Lampard is probably one of the few managers available that Roman would've given a pass for whatever happens this year.

Lampard's influence has been enough to convince Hudson-Odoi to stay, so he's already a success in the long-term.

Reactions: gary69

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Nothing much has changed since Luiz signed that new contract though.

Anyway. It doesn´t seem like anyone on here has any further information.

Luiz finding out the last day before the close of the window that Chelsea might not manage top 4 (or be competitive) seems a bit far fetched as an explanation for this transfer.

They didn't really specify Luiz's reason. Just that there have been disagreements this week and also his agent is connected to Arsenal's directors. I'm going to assume he wasn't guaranteed a starting spot. Which would indicate Lampard intends to have this season as a rebuild of sorts (playing the younger players) and hence top 4 shouldn't be an expectation.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If i am not misstaken, Luiz can play as a defensive midfelder, and he is better there than he is at cb.

Auba - Laca - Pepe
Ceballos - Luiz - Torreria
Bellerin - Rugani/Upamecano - Holding - Tierney
Leno

They should have play Saliba already, he is better than Holding.
He can technically play the position, but I wouldn't say he's better there. He played there in his previous stint at Chelsea because we didn't really have another option at the time. He's best in a back 3, and better in a back 4 than as CDM.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Exactly. I'm not expecting Chelsea to finish top 4, and it's solely because of the transfer ban. The ban also affected who would take over for Sarri, and Lampard is probably one of the few managers available that Roman would've given a pass for whatever happens this year.

Lampard's influence has been enough to convince Hudson-Odoi to stay, so he's already a success in the long-term.

Wouldn't Hazard leaving have a bigger influence on Hudson-Odoi staying?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They didn't really specify Luiz's reason. Just that there have been disagreements this week and also his agent is connected to Arsenal's directors. I'm going to assume he wasn't guaranteed a starting spot. Which would indicate Lampard intends to have this season as a rebuild of sorts (playing the younger players) and hence top 4 shouldn't be an expectation.
All the Chelsea writers are saying that he wasn't going to have a consistent starting spot. We know Rudiger is the top CB, so either Zouma or Christensen were preferred or both.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Yes. Sounds reasonable.

I still think it is odd, but apparently I am bit of an idiot for finding it odd :)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wouldn't Hazard leaving have a bigger influence on Hudson-Odoi staying?
Nope, he still needed to be convinced that he was going to have a significant spot, and Lampard has really emphasized the youth so far. If Sarri or another manager played Willian, Pedro, and Pulisic a bunch, then Hudson-Odoi would be in Germany right now.

The youth at Chelsea have always been passed over, I think they all needed to see a manager they can trust and put faith in them.

Reactions: gary69

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Makes even less sense. Arsenal are clearly quite desperate. Credit to Arsenal for taking advantage of the situation though. For 8m I would have loved him at Spurs - even if he is not needed (hopefully).

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Who would have thought that Arsenal would bring in Pepe, Martinelli, Saliba, Ceballos, Luiz and Tierney when it was announced Arsenal only had 45 mil and one of the first names linked was Alexis Claude-Maurice?

Raul has done fantastic this window.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Who would have thought that Arsenal would bring in Pepe, Martinelli, Saliba, Ceballos, Luiz and Tierney when it was announced Arsenal only had 45 mil and one of the first names linked was Alexis Claude-Maurice?

2 of those aren’t finished yet so I would wait and not get my hopes up yet.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Yes but they better finish top 4.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Sane is badly hurt and will be out until January. So, City are not getting money for him and as a result can’t replace him.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
You're right, it's entertainment. That's why everyone is laughing at such a stupid signing.

You’re easily amused!

Congratulations on a well deserved champions league win!! Let me know when you win a premiership title ;-)

Good luck in the new season.

Back on topic, Maguire will prove to be a great signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad