Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If Pepe ends up at Arsenal it will be interesting to see if he is nearly as good as he is made out to be on here. That is not me taking a stab at anyone as I don’t know him at all, but it seems that fans of teams being linked to players always “hype” those players.

I’m not immune to it myself. I would be quite disappointed if Spurs do not end up with buying Lo Celso. Probably partly driven by reading rumors for months about the transfer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If Pepe ends up at Arsenal it will be interesting to see if he is nearly as good as he is made out to be on here. That is not me taking a stab at anyone as I don’t know him at all, but it seems that fans of teams being linked to players always “hype” those players.

I’m not immune to it myself. I would be quite disappointed if Spurs do not end up with buying Lo Celso. Probably partly driven by reading rumors for months about the transfer.
Well there's always a chance a player doesn't fit (mugh higher with Lo Celso IMO).
But there's a reason Tuchel, Gaultier, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Bielsa, Aulas, Campos and many others think so highly of him.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Arsenal where dominant in the 30s and very good in the 20s. They have been great since the start.

The start, you say?

But they entered the Football League in 1893.

They didn't achieve promotion to the top flight until 1904.

The 30s I'll give you. But very good in the 20s?

The only trophies they won were two London Challenge Cups. Their league results beginning from 1919-20 (their first season following their irregular promotion back to the old Division One) to 1929-30 read as follows:
10th
9th
17th
11th
19th
20th
2nd
11th
10th
9th
14th

If you think that qualifies as very good, much is explained.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Arsenal where dominant in the 30s and very good in the 20s. They have been great since the start. They have the third most league titles ever, the most FA Cup titles ever, are the only team to go invincible for an entire season since the 20th century as part of a 49 game unbeaten run, have never been relegated from the top flight ever, have had some of the best players and managers to ever grace the game, and have an absolutely massive global fanbase.

As for the bolded claim, this presumes the 1912-13 season was a figment of the imagination.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't. Guy claimed Lloris almost cost France in the WC
Also said Guendouzi spent most of his time on the bench during the U21 Euro last month yet he played in 3 games out of 4 and started 2.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The start, you say?

But they entered the Football League in 1893.

They didn't achieve promotion to the top flight until 1904.

The 30s I'll give you. But very good in the 20s?

The only trophies they won were two London Challenge Cups. Their league results beginning from 1919-20 (their first season following their irregular promotion back to the old Division One) to 1929-30 read as follows:
10th
9th
17th
11th
19th
20th
2nd
11th
10th
9th
14th

If you think that qualifies as very good, much is explained.

That qualifies as decent, but does not really play great important in history or not make them a huge club

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Is this real? I didn't expect this at all.

Ornstein is the best Arsenal reporter. Came out of nowhere, certainly, and there’s still work to be done but I really would like this signing. Get Tierney and Everton and I’m ecstatic with this window even without sales.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Agent hasn't rejected Napoli. He wants 5M for him and Napoli are proposing 3.5M.
That's called negociations.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If Pepe gets over the line and then Tierney follows later this would be the most successful Arsenal window in for ever! At this point I just want the footie to start back up again.

Reactions: Satan

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
That qualifies as decent, but does not really play great important in history or not make them a huge club

It plays an important part in putting your claims in their proper context.

The idea that the 1920s don't play an important part in football history strikes me as strange, particularly coming from an Arsenal fan. That was the decade in which Herbert Chapman rose to prominence as a top manager, catching the Gunners' attention and being appointed as their boss. That was the decade during which, in response to the change in the offside law, Chapman began using the 'W-M' formation, the foundation of Arsenal's successes and a system that would be exported far beyond North London.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It plays an important part in putting your claims in their proper context.

The idea that the 1920s don't play an important part in football history strikes me as strange, particularly coming from an Arsenal fan. That was the decade in which Herbert Chapman rose to prominence as a top manager, catching the Gunners' attention and being appointed as their boss. That was the decade during which, in response to the change in the offside law, Chapman began using the 'W-M' formation, the foundation of Arsenal's successes and a system that would be exported far beyond North London.

I did not say that it was not important but it is not vital in determining how big of a club we are. And our 20s where decent

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I did not say that it was not important but it is not vital in determining how big of a club we are. And our 20s where decent

I just don't think this is relevant. The club has a great history, yay! I doubt an 18 year old prospect from SA is going to say I'm picking Arsenal because of their 20s and 30s...

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I just don't think this is relevant. The club has a great history, yay! I doubt an 18 year old prospect from SA is going to say I'm picking Arsenal because of their 20s and 30s...

Looking at their 1990s- 2000s they where a million miles ahead of PSG and almost everyone. That is very relevant

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Lille has accepted 4 offers for Pepe. United, Napoli, Inter and Arsenal.
Player is coming back from holidays on monday.
He would prefer to go to PSG and they're also interested but might not be able to pay 80 M.
He'll decide next week.
Remember he turned down double his salary and a CL spot in Lyon to stay with his coach and teammates.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He would probably prefer playing for a massive club in Arsenal, to a small club in PSG. Fans and history actually matter a lot. The UCL is an advantage with PSG but they have almost no chance of winning it regardless.

By that logic he would easily pick United over Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->