2019 Summer/Fall Prospect Poll: #6

Who is the Sabres' #6 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
All prospects who fit the HF prospect criteria are included.

ELIGIBILITY
-In his Age-24 season with fewer than 65 NHL games for a skater (or 45 games for a goalie).

-If signed out of Europe or the NCAA at age 22 or older, fewer than 65 (skaters) or 45 (goalies) games within three years of signing.

-The following players' eligibility is based on the 22 and over rule: C.J. Smith (03/30/20), Lawrence Pilut (03/15/21), Andrew Oglevie (04/11/21), Victor Olofsson (04/24/21), Brandon Hickey (07/01/21), Casey Fitzgerald (03/26/22).

-Jonas Johansson will age out after this season.

-If I have made any mistakes with the list, let me know.

RULES
Each poll runs 24 hours and is public. Vote for your choice and nominate a prospect from the list below to replace that player on the subsequent poll.

If there is a tie in the Top 10, there will be a run-off and the losing prospect will be returned to the pool for the next vote. Outside the Top 10, the tie will hold, the two highest Adds will be added and we'll move on.

PROSPECT RANKINGS
In the past, we've also done skater-only and goalie-only threads, as well as aggregate-type of rankings. If someone is interested, they are welcome to inherit that responsibility.

2019 Summer/Fall Prospect Rankings
1. Dylan Cozens, C (nr): 48 of 73 votes (65.8%). Runner up, Victor Olofsson (8 votes)
2. Victor Olofsson, LW (+1): 39 of 105 votes (37.1%). Runner up, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (31 votes)
3. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G (-1): 42 of 90 votes (46.7%). Runner up, Henri Jokiharju (42 votes; Luukkonen wins runoff 41-37)
4. Henri Jokiharju, D (nr): 65 of 77 votes (84.4%). Runner up, Lawrence Pilut (7 votes)
5. Lawrence Pilut, D (-4): 71 of 108 votes (65.7%). Runner up, Rasmus Asplund (16 votes)

Eligible to be added
G: Jonas Johansson, Erik Portillo

D: Casey Fitzgerald, Brandon Hickey, Miska Kukkonen, Linus Lindstrand Cronholm, Philip Nyberg, Devante Stephens, William Worge Kreu

F: Filip Cederqvist, Vasili Glotov, Aaron Huglen, Brett Murray, Andrew Oglevie, Lukas Rousek, Linus Weissbach

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Laaksonen is an Enigma. He could go as high as #1 because of his sailing, but there is still so much risk involved.
I voted Asplund, mostly because of his 2nd half last season.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Well, if I go by Manny's model it should be Davidsson and it really isn't close.

upload_2019-8-20_10-34-50.png

But I have a hard time differentiating the potential between him and Asplund, so I'll kick that decision down the road a bit. Going with CJ, who I think has been pretty underrated in our rankings so far.

Edit: add Weissbach

Last edited:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I voted Borgen for a combination of his NHL readiness relative to the other options, and his proficiency in his role. He isn't an offensive D like most of the guys mentioned, but he's just so smooth defensively. Skating + smarts + snarl add up to a really nice package and a valuable player. With the glut on RD, I do worry about the organization overlooking him a bit.

Add Fitz

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Laaksonen is an Enigma. He could go as high as #1 because of his sailing, but there is still so much risk involved.
I voted Asplund, mostly because of his 2nd half last season.

I'm curious what you mean about "sailing". His primary hurdle to overcome at this point is physical strength. He needs to grown more into his frame and add muscle. He's playing first pairing minutes now in the Liiga and has put up some very good teenage scoring totals each of the last two seasons. There is very much cause to be excited by what he could be for them in the near future.

Well, if I go by Manny's model it should be Davidsson and it really isn't close.

View attachment 250483

But I have a hard time differentiating the potential between him and Asplund, so I'll kick that decision down the road a bit. Going with CJ, who I think has been pretty underrated in our rankings so far.

I'm curious what the PDO factor does there since Marcus was the beneficiary of a high one this past season even if the scoresheet results were a little bland. Asplund had similar production at a similar age, but there was the tease of his initial burst disrupted by the cheapshot that seems to have made him still more the preferred taste of the fanbase even if Davidsson is bigger and similar in performance. This year in Vaxjo will be fascinating since it has no comp with Asplund in the SHL.

Reactions: Fezzy126

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Ryjo. Add the goalie Portillo from this years draft. He's a slow cooker, but could be good upside there.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I'm curious what you mean about "sailing". His primary hurdle to overcome at this point is physical strength. He needs to grown more into his frame and add muscle. He's playing first pairing minutes now in the Liiga and has put up some very good teenage scoring totals each of the last two seasons. There is very much cause to be excited by what he could be for them in the near future.

Meant to be ceiling?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

View attachment 250483

Edit: add Weissbach
His model is really hit or miss, but he has been high on davidsson

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Seiling. Come on, this is a Sabres forum! Obvious joke is obvious!

This next group is so hard to tease out. Asplund, Laaksonen, Samuelsson, Borgen, Johnson, and Smith could really go in any order. Going with Rasmus here as I think he's going to have a big year now that the adjustment period is over, but damn it's close.

Add Weissbach.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seiling. Come on, this is a Sabres forum! Obvious joke is obvious!

This next group is so hard to tease out. Asplund, Laaksonen, Samuelsson, Borgen, Johnson, and Smith could really go in any order. Going with Rasmus here as I think he's going to have a big year now that the adjustment period is over, but damn it's close.

Add Weissbach.

It’s called the setup. Thank you for both completing the joke and ruining it with the commentary. Say goodnight Gracie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad