2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
The icing being waived off looked legit but yeah, goaltender interference calls continue to make no sense year after year. Put up Couture's waived off goal against the one allowed for Toronto, then scratch your head.

It looked like the Boston goal was offside too but I hate that stupid review rule so I'm fine with it.

They didn't use the same standard when Marchand looked to be even with the defender after that. For me, I blow the whistle early and often on plays like that. Both players risk serious injury when they are about even at full speed trying to retrieve/touch. Being playoffs, both players will likely risk more there, so better to be safe. Playoff hockey is already fast and exciting enough.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
This is not why we cling to that hit being bad, it was the hit itself, which is still the worst play I have ever seen, including the Bertuzzi thing. The lack of apology made me hate Claude Lemieux all the more, however, even if he did, that hit was atrocious and an apology wouldn't have changed that.

So that's the worst play you've ever seen? Maybe your only watch Wings games and highlights, but if not, we have YouTube to provide evidence on how truly hyperbolic the quoted/bolded content is:

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
This is not why we cling to that hit being bad, it was the hit itself, which is still the worst play I have ever seen, including the Bertuzzi thing. The lack of apology made me hate Claude Lemieux all the more, however, even if he did, that hit was atrocious and an apology wouldn't have changed that.

Continued...

I'm sure the list is longer, but those were the 1st to come to mind.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't know, maybe because I'm not a Caps fan, but it didn't seem that dirty. Plus, the whole aftermath is what made the Draper hit worse. Detroit and its fans were already crazy about being bounced again, so the lack of an apology gave all involved something to cling to instead of another loss.

I was thinking about this today after reading about Foegele getting death threats on Twitter.

There was a multitude of factors contributing to our anger and that of the Wings but I think it all boils over with Lemieux's lack of remorse or his acknowledgment that the hit was at best reckless. Had he been a man about it and apologized it likely would have made things so much different.

Reactions: avssuc

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Hamilton not willing to take a hit in a game 5 series tied at 2....

gtfo

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So that's the worst play you've ever seen? Maybe your only watch Wings games and highlights, but if not, we have YouTube to provide evidence on how truly hyperbolic the quoted/bolded content is:

I have seen all of these, but having your head smashed into the boards from behind, is worse than all of them. It combines two nasty plays into one. This isn't one of those biased things, as I would think that was the worst even if it happened to an Avs player.

Checked from behind can cause potential paralysis and other spinal injuries
Face smashed into boards can and did cause massive dental issues, and 3+ months of eating through a straw, because his jaw was wired shut.
Also can cause concussions of any severity.

The other hits minus maybe the Simon one, only cause concussions.

How the heck do you figure the Hunter one is worse, he hit a guy from behind, but not face first into the boards? Domi's one is not even in the same realm.

I also get annoyed when people post comments like, "maybe you only watch such and such", just cause someone has an alternate view to theirs.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Doubtful...

Boston looked like dog**** in that pivotal game 5. Pretty pathetic...

Doubly bitter bc I bet on them...

It was interesting Toronto slowly wore them down. It was a low event affair but it made me think yeah, keep pressuring their D, throwing pucks at the net- it might take 50 minutes but the stronger players will prevail.

Wow the Jets eliminated without a whimper. Nashville on the ropes too, this is a crazy year and I'm all for it. I guess Holland was always right- get in and anything can happen! ;)

Reactions: ZDH and avssuc

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
1) This isn't one of those biased things

2) Checked from behind can cause potential paralysis and other spinal injuries

3) Face smashed into boards can and did cause massive dental issues, and 3+ months of eating through a straw, because his jaw was wired shut.

4) The other hits minus maybe the Simon one, only cause concussions.

5) Domi's one is not even in the same realm.

6) I also get annoyed when people post comments like, "maybe you only watch such and such", just cause someone has an alternate view to theirs.

1) For you, it clearly is. Nobody in the national or local media agrees with your opinion, and I'd be shocked if anyone here did either.

2) A punch to the back of the head can kill you. Regardless, you don't have a point because the wild situation you mention didn't happen.

3) A punch to the back of the head 'did' break Moore's neck and end his career. I bet Steve Moore would be happy to trade places with Draper. So what is your point here? Are we just measuring dirtiness by injuries sustained without any other factors? By that insane logic, the guys that cut the necks of Malarchuk and Zednik should still be in prison.

4) "Only concussions"? That's offensive on not only the grounds of common sense, but also personal experience. I suffered both TBI and a broken leg in Iraq, I can tell you that the effects of broken bones are far more desirable to me. Don't take my word tho, let's check in with 2008 playoff hero, still under contract, Johan Franzen:

“It’s embarrassing. Everything is embarrassing. Now I’m very open about being forgetful. Sometimes my whole world falls apart, and I can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can’t understand that my wife is still with me... She’s been amazingly strong. I don’t know how she can sit here. She hates me pretty often, but … she’s pulling a lot of weight. I don’t know how she does it. She’s had to put up a lot.”

Red Wings' Johan Franzen fights depression: 'It quickly gets dark. Very dark.'

Drapes is currently running his own business on the side while wearing a suit to his day job where he works high up in the Wings org, Drapes was still playing and winning cups at the same age (38) as Franzen is now... while Franzen can hardly leave the house and lives in frequent states of terror and confusion. I won't even bring up the NHL players that have offed themselves because of how concussions changed their lives.

5) You do understand that intent is a key factor in determining whether a play is dirty of not, correct? You can WebMD this thing up as much as you like, but it makes no difference.

Do you think Corey Fulton intended to kill Don Sanderson in that fight on the ice? If so, what evidence do you have? I'd pose the same question on the Claude Lemieux situation. It's pretty clear to any rational person that intent in both (in terms of the end result) are impossible to prove.

Tragic death of club player Don Sanderson forces hockey world to question violence

6) I did that because you share an opinion that is shared by nobody, one that (now that you've expanded) evolved into something potentially dangerous. Go ahead, do a through Google search, you won't find anyone that comes close to agreeing, not even the man that got his face smashed. I mention that your opinion might be dangerous because of your take on CTE/TBI/concussions; it's like something straight out of the NFL commissioner's office.

Also, using your stick as a weapon and striking someone in the head is the sign of someone afflicted with psychopathy, someone with clear malice and intent in their actions. Marginalizing these plays and injuries in the name of defending your homer opinion, or because you felt slighted that I used hyperbole on your hyperbole... won't make the reality here any different.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricky0034

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
It was interesting Toronto slowly wore them down. It was a low event affair but it made me think yeah, keep pressuring their D, throwing pucks at the net- it might take 50 minutes but the stronger players will prevail.

Wow the Jets eliminated without a whimper. Nashville on the ropes too, this is a crazy year and I'm all for it. I guess Holland was always right- get in and anything can happen! ;)

I think that's more true now than ever. This is painful to admit, but it seems like parity was the result of the 2013 CBA. I still hate the draft and think it's a way to hurt better parity over the long run, but killing the cap circumvention was a good move for the league.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I have seen all of these, but having your head smashed into the boards from behind, is worse than all of them. It combines two nasty plays into one. This isn't one of those biased things, as I would think that was the worst even if it happened to an Avs player.

Checked from behind can cause potential paralysis and other spinal injuries
Face smashed into boards can and did cause massive dental issues, and 3+ months of eating through a straw, because his jaw was wired shut.
Also can cause concussions of any severity.

The other hits minus maybe the Simon one, only cause concussions.

How the heck do you figure the Hunter one is worse, he hit a guy from behind, but not face first into the boards? Domi's one is not even in the same realm.

I also get annoyed when people post comments like, "maybe you only watch such and such", just cause someone has an alternate view to theirs.

Start at 3:03 for further understanding on intent coupled with the lack of a formal apology:

The entire interview is good, but if you start at 2:58, you might be shocked to find that Scotty can be as gutless as Claude. The 1st time I heard that I was floored:

Again, I think Claude Lemieux was a dirt bag POS. He had several scum bag plays against the Wings, some might even make the arguement that the sucker punch on Kozlov was worse 'because of' intent. All that said, the Draps hit isn't top 10 in terms of dirtiest plays in NHL history.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
1) For you, it clearly is. Nobody in the national or local media agrees with your opinion, and I'd be shocked if anyone here did either.

2) A punch to the back of the head can kill you. Regardless, you don't have a point because the wild situation you mention didn't happen.

What happened to Draper can kill a person too. If his spine got snapped he could have died, or any other injuries that could have happened to his brain. Just cause that didn't happen doesn't lessen the hit. An injury caused doesn't change whether a hit was nasty. Also like to point out, Pierre Turgeon, Scott Niedermayer, Ulf Samuellsson, Donald Brashear and all the rest of the victims in your videos are all fine as well. Draper suffered far more damage (wired shut jaw for 3 months) than anyone you pointed out, with the exception of Steve Moore. The rest of them were fine to my knowledge and all lead normal lives just as you pointed out that Draper is. Although what does that have to do with anything anyway, cause 30 years later doesn't change whether a play was horrendous.

Also, nobody agreeing with me, doesn't make it biased, and also doesn't make it wrong either. If Draper had hit Lemieux like that, I would not like Draper, especially without remorse, and would want him gone from the Wings.

Oh dear to your Claude Lemieux video. He blatantly hit Draper from behind with full intent, and whatever he said in his OTR interview doesn't change anything, cause every dirty player ever always makes excuses for why it wasn't a bad play. Lemieux was an unremoreseful dirty player and nothing he says changes that.

You also mention in your posts about rather having broken bones than brain injury, when far as I can tell, most people would prefer living through concussion symptoms than paralysis. Like I already said, Draper is simply fortunate that he didn't get a massive spinal injury.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
What happened to Draper can kill a person too. If his spine got snapped he could have died, or any other injuries that could have happened to his brain. Just cause that didn't happen doesn't lessen the hit. An injury caused doesn't change whether a hit was nasty. Also like to point out, Pierre Turgeon, Scott Niedermayer, Ulf Samuellsson, Donald Brashear and all the rest of the victims in your videos are all fine as well. Draper suffered far more damage (wired shut jaw for 3 months) than anyone you pointed out, with the exception of Steve Moore. The rest of them were fine to my knowledge and all lead normal lives just as you pointed out that Draper is. Although what does that have to do with anything anyway, cause 30 years later doesn't change whether a play was horrendous.

Also, nobody agreeing with me, doesn't make it biased, and also doesn't make it wrong either. If Draper had hit Lemieux like that, I would not like Draper, especially without remorse, and would want him gone from the Wings.

Oh dear to your Claude Lemieux video. He blatantly hit Draper from behind with full intent, and whatever he said in his OTR interview doesn't change anything, cause every dirty player ever always makes excuses for why it wasn't a bad play. Lemieux was an unremoreseful dirty player and nothing he says changes that.

You also mention in your posts about rather having broken bones than brain injury, when far as I can tell, most people would prefer living through concussion symptoms than paralysis. Like I already said, Draper is simply fortunate that he didn't get a massive spinal injury.

Cool story, Bob. I bet it reads even better from Homer Island... where the Red Wings are on a never ending power play and 'what-if' clinics govern front office adjudication.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Start at 3:03 for further understanding on intent coupled with the lack of a formal apology:

The entire interview is good, but if you start at 2:58, you might be shocked to find that Scotty can be as gutless as Claude. The 1st time I heard that I was floored:

Again, I think Claude Lemieux was a dirt bag POS. He had several scum bag plays against the Wings, some might even make the arguement that the sucker punch on Kozlov was worse 'because of' intent. All that said, the Draps hit isn't top 10 in terms of dirtiest plays in NHL history.

Sorry. I can't chuckle at any of the memories for that gutless POS Lemieux was. Or feel sorry for him that Bowman confronts him outside the team bus with his wife and kids. It'd be one thing to show up at his house but you do something that gutless in a game emotions will still be running high leaving the arena.

Smiling as he talks about how calculated his suckerpunch to the back of Kozlov's head was. That suckerpunch was Bertuzzi incident worthy. Luckily for Slava it didn't end the same.

Lemieux is and always will be a total piece of shit.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
does anyone remember the pronger hit on holmstrom in the 2007 playoffs? That one ranks right up there as one of the dirtiest hits against a wings player that i've seen. if that wasn't an obvious attempt to injure and end somone's career i don't what is

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Out of curiosity, why are you rooting for a Canada-free second round?

100% because of how obnoxious Canadian teams fans are on here. My actual heart wants me to root for the Flames and Leafs. But, if either of those teams won it, this site would not work for at least a week after, and they every post would be asking 'is x player better than OV' or is 'the 2019 x team better than the 1980s Oilers'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->