2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

We did that, with gagner, and still did whats better for the player and send him to Toronto. Nhl clubs keep their image in mind..

I don't follow...are you saying they would not have done this if Gagner could not have played in Toronto then?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Beagle and Roussel can be traded that year..Also, Gudbranson and Sutter will be clear off the books.

Not only that, but I also suspect that Eriksson will be off the books by that point as well.

I think Eriksson will be out of here shortly after July 1st 2020. I think the Canucks will bury him in the minors after this date, and Eriksson will likely choose to retire a la Mogilny/NJD style. 31 of the 36 million will have been paid out to LE. If Eriksson has any kind of value after July 1 2020, he’d also be desirable for a team with tons of cap space.

Either way - I think Eriksson will be off our books shortly after July 1st 2020.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Look at those Chicago and LA teams and how they won their cups. All of their top players were on cost controlled cap friendly contracts. This allowed them to invest heavier on depth (shorter term contracts).

I think if it’s the goal of a hockey team to build a multi-cup winner, then the primary objective should be to get their core players to “buy in” by taking hometown discounts. Once that has happened, and you’ve built a pretty decent and promising team, THEN you will attract UFA’s that will be willing to take discounts to play on a winner (ie Hossa in Chicago).

OVerpaying UFA’s before you’ve reupped your core leads to a shortening of “the window” and long term cap complications. But again - if “the goal” is to focus on winning that ONE cup, then by all means..

I agree with the bolded paragraph. But this team just isn't going to get there with the current pieces and management in place. We have three forwards worth a damn, and a pile of garbage behind them (maybe excluding Roussel, who is a useful depth player).

This team is one 1st line calibre winger, two 2nd line calibre wingers, and two 1st pair calibre defensemen away from being real contenders. We just don't have the players in the pipeline to fill those roles, and Benning's pro-scouting talent evaluation is so lacklustre that it's a virtual guarantee he cannot fill those roles through that route.

I mean, maybe Hughes can fill one of those roles. Maybe the player we take with a top-10 draft pick can too. Beyond that, there isn't anyone in the prospect pool who can. Maybe you hope for some exponential growth from OJ. But that's a lot of maybes.

Benning's modus operandi at this point is to act like the rebuild is over. But it's far from over, and never really started. He basically pulled Petterson out of hat and expects the team to magically get better. That's the real Edmonton Oilers model. Benning does not have the skills to put competent pieces around him. We've seen that time and again.

I can sympathize with the people who want us to go for the moonshots on Karlsson/Stone. We need more elite players, point blank.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Elite players are elite players for a reason.

So ask yourself this.

What would Jimbo say to persuade any elite player to sign with Vancouver over 30 other NHL teams?

While you're thinking about that, ask yourself this second question.

What could Jimbo say to YOU to persuade YOU to support him for an additional 3-5 years as general manager?

Reactions: The Drop

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Elite players are elite players for a reason.

So ask yourself this.

What would Jimbo say to persuade any elite player to sign with Vancouver over 30 other NHL teams?

While you're thinking about that, ask yourself this second question.

What could Jimbo say to YOU to persuade YOU to support him for an additional 3-5 years as general manager?

They're not going to come here. We know this. Jim Benning is going to have us paddling in the bottom-10 again next season.

I just understand the desire to throw money at Breadman/Stone/EK, because we desperately need elite players and besides maaaybe Quinn Hughes, there is no one else in the pipeline who can even be optimistically projected as an elite player.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
They're not going to come here. We know this. Jim Benning is going to have us paddling in the bottom-10 again next season.

I just understand the desire to throw money at Breadman/Stone/EK, because we desperately need elite players and besides maaaybe Quinn Hughes, there is no one else in the pipeline who can even be optimistically projected as an elite player.
I know.

I'm just being an bitter as eff old fart.

Carry on.

edit.

If you want elite, look at the draft because the elite UFA market is closed to the Canucks for the time being.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I know.

I'm just being an bitter as eff old fart.

Carry on.

edit.

If you want elite, look at the draft because the elite UFA market is closed to the Canucks for the time being.

It's gonna take a few more tank season drafts to actually turn this team around...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It's gonna take a few more tank season drafts to actually turn this team around...
The way we're going... could be more than a few.

This management team is killing our team's long term salary cap with these anchor contracts and I think they're going to come back to bite us in the ass in our ability to sign all of our core drafted players.

We all know what excellent cap management looks like and what it can result in and this current monstrosity of a team isn't even CLOSE to looking anything like that.

As long as the Aquilinis are in charge, I'm not holding my breath on anything.

Last edited:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
If Anaheim would be dumb enough to deal one of Lindholm or Manson I would be ringing them off the hook. This is where having a surplus of draft capital or young players would come in handy, unfortunately they've done a terrible job at stocking up over the last 5 years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Anaheim would be dumb enough to deal one of Lindholm or Manson I would be ringing them off the hook. This is where having a surplus of draft capital or young players would come in handy, unfortunately they've done a terrible job at stocking up over the last 5 years.

It’s absolutely incredible how little we have in terms of an asset base after 5 years of where the organization has been at.

There are like 4 young players we obviously wouldn’t move, 3 good veterans we can’t move because they’re so important and we’re so thin, 1 really good prospect and a couple other decent prospects, and a giant pile of overpriced, terrible untradeable crap.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It’s absolutely incredible how little we have in terms of an asset base after 5 years of where the organization has been at.

There are like 4 young players we obviously wouldn’t move, 3 good veterans we can’t move because they’re so important and we’re so thin, 1 really good prospect and a couple other decent prospects, and a giant pile of overpriced, terrible untradeable crap.

A smart GM would make hard calls right now on players like Gaudette, Demko, Lind, Dahlen, Juolevi, etc. If today is the highest the value will be on any of those players (and based on prospect bust probabilities, I'd say that will hold true for half of those guys), you should move them.

Juolevi for example has at least 2015 Griffin Reinhart value today. You may not find a Chiarelli to give you a 16th overall + 33rd overall, but hell, if they can even land a top-15 pick for him and identify a kid in this years draft that they like, that's one way to pursue that top level asset. Also, with how Markstrom is playing, and with the finicky nature of goalies, I'd look to move him to Carolina for one of their defenseman (Pesce??) if possible. Platoon Demko next year with Cam Talbot or some other hit or miss UFA option.

I agree with your general premise that this team has absolutely bled value for years and are in one of the worst positions in the league in terms of organizational strength. At the same time, there are still options, and a competent GM coming in should be able to take advantage of that.

member 290103

"I plan to spend the next 3-5 years doing the opposite of every single thing I believe to be prudent in terms of my work as the GM."

member 290103

Please don’t trade draft picks you buffoons

What would be the point of this? To open up cap space? Why do they need cap space right now?

I am telling you. I bet Dimbo goes to bed every night curing the fact that the draft is in Vancouver this year. It probably eats his insides not being able to make stupid trades for bad veteran players with his 2nd, 3rd, etc.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Does anyone have any clue what the Canucks are going to do with their abundance of players after this season is over?

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Baertschi
Roussel Sutter Virtanen
Motte Beagle Eriksson
Leivo Granlund Spooner Schaller Gaudette

Edler Stecher
Tanev Hutton
Pouliot Biega
Schenn (Hughes)

Markstrom
Demko

-It's looking like Pouliot and Granlund will not be resigned.

-I'm thinking Schaller and Spooner will be sent to Utica.

-Leivo, Edler, Schenn, Hutton, and Boeser, will be resigned.

Still no room for Gaudette. Does Sutter get traded this offseason?

Is this the year Eriksson gets bought out?

The Canucks are looking for a big name FA, names like Panarin, Ferland, and Karlsson have been brought up. Who goes to make space for them?

It's definitely going to be a interesting offseason. Is Benning going to be making a few trades?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Does anyone have any clue what the Canucks are going to do with their abundance of players after this season is over?

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Baertschi
Roussel Sutter Virtanen
Motte Beagle Eriksson
Leivo Granlund Spooner Schaller Gaudette

Edler Stecher
Tanev Hutton
Pouliot Biega
Schenn (Hughes)

Markstrom
Demko

-It's looking like Pouliot and Granlund will not be resigned.

-I'm thinking Schaller and Spooner will be sent to Utica.

-Leivo, Edler, Schenn, Hutton, and Boeser, will be resigned.

Still no room for Gaudette. Does Sutter get traded this offseason?

Is this the year Eriksson gets bought out?

The Canucks are looking for a big name FA, names like Panarin, Ferland, and Karlsson have been brought up. Who goes to make space for them?

It's definitely going to be a interesting offseason. Is Benning going to be making a few trades?
We have a boat load of RFA’s so I’d say some of them won’t be resigned/back.. pouliot and maybe granlund (if not he’s traded).

Schenn won’t be back (UFA).

As well, a few of Schaller, spooner, maybe Baertschi will be waived, bought out or traded. Barring some amazing play to finish up this season.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If we can roll with a D core similar to this next year:

Edler- _____
Hughes- Tanev
Hutton- Stetcher
Extras: Biega/ Sautner

Ie we need a top 4 RHD. Not some make shift guddy clone either. Like a legit top 4! Would give us more pairing options and flexibility too.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I think Stecher is better than Tanev now. Stecher is a legit top-4 guy in my books. Tanev is a declining, injury-prone player that I don't think should be here beyond next season.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Canucks gonna go after Myers imo.

Edler Hughes
Myers tanev
Hutton stecher

No particular pairings

I also invision the Canucks trying to move up to get Byram I’f he’s out of reach.

Something like 1st and tanev to move up

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I have to think with the rumors of Jimbo wanting to chase a big fish or two in free agency, they're going to go very hard after Karlsson. IF (big if) they can manage to lure Karlsson out of SJ,

Edler-Karlsson
Hughes Stetcher
Hutton-Tanev

Marky
Demko

You know... If Marky plays like he did this year, I'd be pleased with that on the back end. And if Edler's so keen on using his NTC time and again to stay in Vancouver, I'd like to see what that motive gets the team when it comes to talking contract extension.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
you know what's gonna happen? the Sharks will re-sign EK65 and to aid them in doing so, Jim will give up a pick or a prospect for Vlasic :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad