2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Ronning On Empty, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Manager + Lecturer
    We’ll want 2, Edler will push for 4, they’ll likely settle on 3.

2. 420Canuck

420Canuck Registered User

I would say most people didn't think they had 4 top 4 defensman this year. Hutton and Stecher have been a revelation for most (I thought Hutton was good the whole time personally).

Anyways, I think I just don't like the term overhaul.

I think we see things fairly similarly going forward.

3. Ronning On Empty

Ronning On Empty Formerly BleachClean

I too thought Hutton was good enough last year. Stecher has bounced from #4 and #5, but I think that has more to do with usage than it does his ability. His metrics have been good.

Replacing 4 Dmen in the rotation, whether it's top and bottom, is major surgery. To change the complexion of the defense, when some of the members have been here for over 5 years, is a big thing. You don't like "overhaul", I think that falls under semantics. It needs major work long-term. That's the point I was trying to get across.

It would really help things if there were another top4 capable RHD prospect in the system. Woo is there, but they need at least 1 more of that quality. Then, I think you can start to more safely project the next era of defenders.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm very high on Hughes. Always have been.

4. 420Canuck

420Canuck Registered User

Well I expect Edler to be re-signed, so I don't think they need to replace 4 of 8 in the short term. They need a new#7 (can promote from within), hopefully Hughes replaces Pouliot, so they're left to upgrade the #6 on the Right side....I already think Biega is an upgrade on what they're currently running with.

I get you though, you're wondering where the real Edler replacement comes from. I do too. These players are extremely hard to find.

5. Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke's Evil Spirit Registered User

CS
    Gudbranson and Eriksson are UFA contracts and won't be comparables for Boeser or Hutton.

Edler's agent: "You gave an older Jay Beagle a 4-year contract last year, and now you're saying you can only give Alex 2? No thanks"

MS, rypper and 420Canuck like this.
  6. Ronning On Empty

Ronning On Empty Formerly BleachClean

Edler and Tanev, not just Edler.

Short-term, I would replace the #6, #7 and #8 dmen. Long-term, they are going to need a #1, #2, #5, #6, #7 and #8. (I wasn't even considering the spare Dmen)

Edit: Ideally, I'd like another top4 Dman long-term to push one of Hutton and/or Stecher down.

Merely signing a good RHD to decent money changes that outlook. If Hughes bursts onto the scene, even more so.

I'm really curious what Juolevi looks like heading into next year? That will play a major part in the overall story.

7. travis scott

travis scott Registered User

Disagree. If we had been missing the playoffs because we were actually rebuilding, that would give validity to us having good management. But we had all those high picks while trying to make the playoffs and spending to the cap.

8. mriswith

mriswith Registered User

TSN is floating Huberdeau out there as a name that's available, and the Florida board has been pining for some more toughness and grit, especially on defense.

I know what we all think about Gudbranson, but Dale Tallon might still value him as he can be pretty old school and he drafted Guddy. You'd have think he'd also value a guy like Virtanen who can slide in the bottom six and add some more toughness as well.

If I were Benning I'd be on the phone trying to work our Florida connection here. Knowing the way Benning does trades he'll want a right sided dman back so throw Brown into the deal.

Gudbranson+Virtanen for Huberdeau and Brown

HF obviously wouldn't do it. Any chance a dinosaur bites?

9. Horvat1C

Horvat1C Registered User

What would it take to get Kapanen out of Toronto this summer? I think he'd be a great winger for Horvat - Baertschi and give us a really effective line for the foreseeable future. Even if they bridge Kapanen at around 3 million per, they still have to make some moves to get under the cap (Marleau would be a big move if they can do it).

His offersheet value is around a 2nd rounder pick, so maybe start there in terms of value. If we offered them that and a cheap replacement (ie. one of Goldobin, Granlund or Leivo), would that be enough?

10. Just Ginner

Just Ginner Registered User

I'd be absolutely shocked if any GM would take Gudbranson off waivers at this point.

11. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Registered User

We will want 2, Edler will want 4, Benning will settle on 5.

MS and Tritsche like this.
  12. Buck Dancer

I think he gets picked up on waivers. FLA would likely be interested, given comments from Botchford.

13. Buck Dancer

Tallon probably called up Dim and asked for him, only to be told that he was not available.

14. Just Ginner

Just Ginner Registered User

I think if we retained half his salary it would hard to find a home for him. He is complete trash and anyone whose scouts are not drunk would see that.

15. Buck Dancer

I agree. there was a media guy in FLA saying though that when they traded him the team fell apart and that they need to get him back. There's a glimmer of hope.

16. Dropbears88

Dropbears88 Registered User

Theyre dangling Huberdeau to try and get Panarin and Bobrovsky.....but yeaj lets see if theyll settle for Gudrbanson Virtanen instead. Lol

Hindustan Smyl likes this.
  17. PG Canuck

PG Canuck Moderator

Would we even get a 2nd round pick for Gudbranson and Virtanen? You're hoping for Huberdeau?

18. Hindustan Smyl

Manager + Lecturer
    2020 1st + Sutter + Gudbranson.

Purpose of deal: Have enough future cap space to reup Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes (to slight hometown discounts), while also having enough money to target 1, possibly 2, high ticket UFA's. We keep our 2019 1st and draft whoever.

No retention on Sutter or Gudbranson.

1) Would you be willing to offer this as a package?
    2) Would any team out there be willing to accept said package?
    3) What return would above said package get us? (if the goal of the above said package is to clear cap space).

19. RonningMorrisonBooth

RonningMorrisonBooth Support the boys!

We could probably fetch Mark Stone with that offer if we added another prospect or Goldobin. I’d do it.

20. Hindustan Smyl

Manager + Lecturer
    Granted, Sens would get 'something for nothing' with that offer (since Stone is pretty much guaranteed to be gone at the end of the season), but

1) Do you think the Sens can take on that much cap?
    2) What would the risk/reward be for Vancouver in accepting Stone?

I think Ottawa could recieve much better offers, but I'd definitely bite on that if I was Vancouver.

Best case scenario: We convince Stone to sign with us at a semi-reasonable term, and promise him boatloads of ice-time alongside Pettersson.

Worst case scenario: We lose Stone at seasons' end, but we still clear a boat load of cap space.

I love this scenario a lot, but I'm not sure if Ottawa bites on this.

21. Ryp37

Ryp37 Registered User

Lmao of course Ottawa doesn’t bite on that

22. RonningMorrisonBooth

Sens owner gave a mandate saying he would compete for the playoffs and spend close to the cap for the next 5 years. That gives me some hope that the deal is possible. I do also believe Sutter and Gudbranson would be very positive contributors to their team after witnessing Burrows’ performance there. The first round pick is also a valuable asset and very risky to trade away. So we aren’t fleecing the Senators in any way. 2 good roster players, a first and a prospect is a lot to give up.

23. RonningMorrisonBooth

Given the history of what Ottawa has accepted in return for their star players, I think it’s reasonable to induce that there’s a chance Benning could beat the other offers with that package.

24. Ryp37

Ryp37 Registered User

In fairyland yes

25. RonningMorrisonBooth

I’m talking about trades that actually happened. Heatley for Michalek + Cheechoo and a pick happened and Karlsson for Tierny + Demelo + prospects and picks also happened so although you mind call it fairyland my opinion seems to better reflect reality than yours.