2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
They had 4 top 4 dmen this year... Nobody can stop talking about how to improve the defense.

I'm hoping Hughes turns into a top2 defender. I don't know if and when that will happen.

They need an overhaul because I can point to the pieces on the existing defense and project future failures. Top pair and bottom pair. That's not a framework?
I would say most people didn't think they had 4 top 4 defensman this year. Hutton and Stecher have been a revelation for most (I thought Hutton was good the whole time personally).

Anyways, I think I just don't like the term overhaul.

I think we see things fairly similarly going forward.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would say most people didn't think they had 4 top 4 defensman this year. Hutton and Stecher have been a revelation for most (I thought Hutton was good the whole time personally).

Anyways, I think I just don't like the term overhaul.

I think we see things fairly similarly going forward.

I too thought Hutton was good enough last year. Stecher has bounced from #4 and #5, but I think that has more to do with usage than it does his ability. His metrics have been good.

Replacing 4 Dmen in the rotation, whether it's top and bottom, is major surgery. To change the complexion of the defense, when some of the members have been here for over 5 years, is a big thing. You don't like "overhaul", I think that falls under semantics. It needs major work long-term. That's the point I was trying to get across.

It would really help things if there were another top4 capable RHD prospect in the system. Woo is there, but they need at least 1 more of that quality. Then, I think you can start to more safely project the next era of defenders.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm very high on Hughes. Always have been.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I too thought Hutton was good enough last year. Stecher has bounced from #4 and #5, but I think that has more to do with usage than it does his ability. His metrics have been good.

Replacing 4 Dmen in the rotation, whether it's top and bottom, is major surgery. To change the complexion of the defense, when some of the members have been here for over 5 years, is a big thing. You don't like "overhaul", I think that falls under semantics. It needs major work long-term. That's the point I was trying to get across.

It would really help things if there were another top4 capable RHD prospect in the system. Woo is there, but they need at least 1 more of that quality. Then, I think you can start to more safely project the next era of defenders.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm very high on Hughes. Always have been.
Well I expect Edler to be re-signed, so I don't think they need to replace 4 of 8 in the short term. They need a new#7 (can promote from within), hopefully Hughes replaces Pouliot, so they're left to upgrade the #6 on the Right side....I already think Biega is an upgrade on what they're currently running with.

I get you though, you're wondering where the real Edler replacement comes from. I do too. These players are extremely hard to find.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I think we're already going to run into a little trouble contract wise when it comes to re-signing some of our RFA's. In negotiations with Hutton, all his agent has to do is point at the 4 million that Gudbranson makes and call that a starting point because clearly Hutton is a superior player in all aspects to Gudbranson.

Eriksson is getting 6 million per for about 30 points of production every season. Some of our forwards (outside of Boeser and Pettersson, because they'll definitely make more) will point to that and argue for a bump in their salaries.

Overpaying garbage players over the past few years might just throw our entire salary structure out
of whack.

Gudbranson and Eriksson are UFA contracts and won't be comparables for Boeser or Hutton.

They have to push for a two year deal with Edler. Give him more money if that's what it takes.

Edler's agent: "You gave an older Jay Beagle a 4-year contract last year, and now you're saying you can only give Alex 2? No thanks"

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Well I expect Edler to be re-signed, so I don't think they need to replace 4 of 8 in the short term. They need a new#7 (can promote from within), hopefully Hughes replaces Pouliot, so they're left to upgrade the #6 on the Right side....I already think Biega is an upgrade on what they're currently running with.

I get you though, you're wondering where the real Edler replacement comes from. I do too. These players are extremely hard to find.

Edler and Tanev, not just Edler.

Short-term, I would replace the #6, #7 and #8 dmen. Long-term, they are going to need a #1, #2, #5, #6, #7 and #8. (I wasn't even considering the spare Dmen)

Edit: Ideally, I'd like another top4 Dman long-term to push one of Hutton and/or Stecher down.

Merely signing a good RHD to decent money changes that outlook. If Hughes bursts onto the scene, even more so.

I'm really curious what Juolevi looks like heading into next year? That will play a major part in the overall story.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
It’s not just Vancouver. ANY bottom 10 team outside of NYC, original 6 teams, and California, will always have difficulty signing players unless it’s an overpayment.

On the flip side, players will be willing to take discounts for top 10 teams.

That’s why I suggest that the Canucks’ first priority should be to try to reup their RFA’s at hometown discounts. Go after UFA’s that might be in the 6-8 million range, but don’t go after anyone that will cost more than 9 million. Why? Because - if you do that, then all of our upcoming RFA’s will want to be paid at a premium. That’s what we are seeing with Toronto right now.

Now compare Toronto to what we are seeing in Calgary, Tampa, and Nashville (minus Subbann.....whom Nashville are apparently trying to shop).

If you want to try and win just one cup, then yeah.........pay UFA’s 10 million+. If you’re looking to build a dynasty like Chicago however, then the goal of the game should be to reup your Core RFA’s at hometown discounts (long term contracts) while overpaying for depth (short term contracts). All elite teams will suffer cap challenges of some kind, but the elite teams know how to keep their core players......ie Chicago 2010-2015. @Josepho
Disagree. If we had been missing the playoffs because we were actually rebuilding, that would give validity to us having good management. But we had all those high picks while trying to make the playoffs and spending to the cap.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
TSN is floating Huberdeau out there as a name that's available, and the Florida board has been pining for some more toughness and grit, especially on defense.

I know what we all think about Gudbranson, but Dale Tallon might still value him as he can be pretty old school and he drafted Guddy. You'd have think he'd also value a guy like Virtanen who can slide in the bottom six and add some more toughness as well.

If I were Benning I'd be on the phone trying to work our Florida connection here. Knowing the way Benning does trades he'll want a right sided dman back so throw Brown into the deal.

Gudbranson+Virtanen for Huberdeau and Brown

HF obviously wouldn't do it. Any chance a dinosaur bites?

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
What would it take to get Kapanen out of Toronto this summer? I think he'd be a great winger for Horvat - Baertschi and give us a really effective line for the foreseeable future. Even if they bridge Kapanen at around 3 million per, they still have to make some moves to get under the cap (Marleau would be a big move if they can do it).

His offersheet value is around a 2nd rounder pick, so maybe start there in terms of value. If we offered them that and a cheap replacement (ie. one of Goldobin, Granlund or Leivo), would that be enough?

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
TSN is floating Huberdeau out there as a name that's available, and the Florida board has been pining for some more toughness and grit, especially on defense.

I know what we all think about Gudbranson, but Dale Tallon might still value him as he can be pretty old school and he drafted Guddy. You'd have think he'd also value a guy like Virtanen who can slide in the bottom six and add some more toughness as well.

If I were Benning I'd be on the phone trying to work our Florida connection here. Knowing the way Benning does trades he'll want a right sided dman back so throw Brown into the deal.

I'd be absolutely shocked if any GM would take Gudbranson off waivers at this point.

member 290103

Tallon probably called up Dim and asked for him, only to be told that he was not available.

member 290103

I think if we retained half his salary it would hard to find a home for him. He is complete trash and anyone whose scouts are not drunk would see that.

I agree. there was a media guy in FLA saying though that when they traded him the team fell apart and that they need to get him back. There's a glimmer of hope.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Theyre dangling Huberdeau to try and get Panarin and Bobrovsky.....but yeaj lets see if theyll settle for Gudrbanson Virtanen instead. Lol

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Would we even get a 2nd round pick for Gudbranson and Virtanen? You're hoping for Huberdeau?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
2020 1st + Sutter + Gudbranson.

Purpose of deal: Have enough future cap space to reup Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes (to slight hometown discounts), while also having enough money to target 1, possibly 2, high ticket UFA's. We keep our 2019 1st and draft whoever.

No retention on Sutter or Gudbranson.

1) Would you be willing to offer this as a package?
2) Would any team out there be willing to accept said package?
3) What return would above said package get us? (if the goal of the above said package is to clear cap space).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
We could probably fetch Mark Stone with that offer if we added another prospect or Goldobin. I’d do it.

Granted, Sens would get 'something for nothing' with that offer (since Stone is pretty much guaranteed to be gone at the end of the season), but

1) Do you think the Sens can take on that much cap?
2) What would the risk/reward be for Vancouver in accepting Stone?

I think Ottawa could recieve much better offers, but I'd definitely bite on that if I was Vancouver.

Best case scenario: We convince Stone to sign with us at a semi-reasonable term, and promise him boatloads of ice-time alongside Pettersson.

Worst case scenario: We lose Stone at seasons' end, but we still clear a boat load of cap space.

I love this scenario a lot, but I'm not sure if Ottawa bites on this.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Granted, Sens would get 'something for nothing' with that offer (since Stone is pretty much guaranteed to be gone at the end of the season), but

1) Do you think the Sens can take on that much cap?
2) What would the risk/reward be for Vancouver in accepting Stone?

I think Ottawa could recieve much better offers, but I'd definitely bite on that if I was Vancouver.

Best case scenario: We convince Stone to sign with us at a semi-reasonable term, and promise him boatloads of ice-time alongside Pettersson.

Worst case scenario: We lose Stone at seasons' end, but we still clear a boat load of cap space.

I love this scenario a lot, but I'm not sure if Ottawa bites on this.

Sens owner gave a mandate saying he would compete for the playoffs and spend close to the cap for the next 5 years. That gives me some hope that the deal is possible. I do also believe Sutter and Gudbranson would be very positive contributors to their team after witnessing Burrows’ performance there. The first round pick is also a valuable asset and very risky to trade away. So we aren’t fleecing the Senators in any way. 2 good roster players, a first and a prospect is a lot to give up.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Lmao of course Ottawa doesn’t bite on that

Given the history of what Ottawa has accepted in return for their star players, I think it’s reasonable to induce that there’s a chance Benning could beat the other offers with that package.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
In fairyland yes

I’m talking about trades that actually happened. Heatley for Michalek + Cheechoo and a pick happened and Karlsson for Tierny + Demelo + prospects and picks also happened so although you mind call it fairyland my opinion seems to better reflect reality than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->