2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
It is so stupid when this organization gets obsessed with player or a play style, then we massively overpay or massively reorient our system. Then it sucks and it's a gigantic waste of time.

Listening to the Canucks Corner podcast, they're saying Ferland could get six million per in free agency. Yes, let's massively overpay for a bottom six modern day Raffi Torres. f***ing genius.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
why exactly? he is young, he is gritty, he can score, He can protect teammates, he is literally everything we badly need on this team.
As long as we don't give up a 1st or top prospect like Demko, I say go for it.
Because the price is a 1st and prospect according to Pierre Lebrun. If it’s lower then that .. sure . But the 1st round pick has to be off limits. Especially for a pending UFA

I like ferland, but a first and prospect is a huge no. A team will probably pay that to0.

member 290103

Because the price is a 1st and prospect according to Pierre Lebrun. If it’s lower then that .. sure . But the 1st round pick has to be off limits. Especially for a pending UFA

I like ferland, but a first and prospect is a huge no. A team will probably pay that to0.

I can see the 1st and prospect if it's a very late 1st (team that will be drafting in the upper 20's) and maybe a B prospect. Curious if Dim could swing a deal for this player with a 2nd and a Goldobin type. Likely not.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/155398579/
I have no idea why you quoted me for this essay Bad Goalie. All I said was that maybe we should wait before calling Madden a first rounder in a re-draft.

Did you take offense to the post which simply used your post as the catalyst to get into Vancouver's college players? It didn't attack or criticize anything you said. I just pointed out how they have usually ended up in Vancouver immediately if they came on board under Benning.

Hughes will be next.

Verdict is out on Lockwood. 1st round or second round aside for Madden, he and Lockwood will be the next to watch for.Unless Benning unloads some of the contracts he already has, Lockwood and Madden might actually start out in Utica and last their longer than 4 games a la Stecher and Gaudette until Adam's recent reassignment only because he's the only one who doesn't have to worry about waivers.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
It is so stupid when this organization gets obsessed with player or a play style, then we massively overpay or massively reorient our system. Then it sucks and it's a gigantic waste of time.

Listening to the Canucks Corner podcast, they're saying Ferland could get six million per in free agency. Yes, let's massively overpay for a bottom six modern day Raffi Torres. ****ing genius.
I like the idea of signing ferland, but if Benning pays him more than Horvat it's got to be the last straw.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Did you take offense to the post which simply used your post as the catalyst to get into Vancouver's college players? It didn't attack or criticize anything you said. I just pointed out how they have usually ended up in Vancouver immediately if they came on board under Benning.

Hughes will be next.

Verdict is out on Lockwood. 1st round or second round aside for Madden, he and Lockwood will be the next to watch for.Unless Benning unloads some of the contracts he already has, Lockwood and Madden might actually start out in Utica and last their longer than 4 games a la Stecher and Gaudette until Adam's recent reassignment only because he's the only one who doesn't have to worry about waivers.
No I just didn't get the connection about overrating our draft picks and how college players didn't play in Utica.
It´s not the same discussion to me at least.

My guess is that Madden and Lockwood will end up in Utica BTW, since the Canucks bottom six is filled with players like Roussel, Eriksson, Motte, Virtanen, Sutter and Beagle for the next few years.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No I just didn't get the connection about overrating our draft picks and how college players didn't play in Utica.
It´s not the same discussion to me at least.

My guess is that Madden and Lockwood will end up in Utica BTW, since the Canucks bottom six is filled with players like Roussel, Eriksson, Motte, Virtanen, Sutter and Beagle for the next few years.

Got ya.

Reactions: Askel

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Would love to see Ferland with Petey. People balk about protecting their stars these days yet our franchise player has already got hurt twice his rookie season getting tossed around by scrubs and not one teammate did or said anything.

That said, Ferland's injury history is too scary to consider giving a big UFA deal too (which he is going to get from someone).

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I’d be down for signing ferland with a 4 in front of it! Anything above and beyond is an overpayment IMO. But we all know he will be looking for Lucic $. So no thanks. Find a cheaper option that does some of that. Or just hope jake can.

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
Has there been any talk of a possible trade for Nylander? His value has been dropping, he is a redundant piece on the leafs right now and we have pieces that would help the leafs i.e Tanev?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Has there been any talk of a possible trade for Nylander? His value has been dropping, he is a redundant piece on the leafs right now and we have pieces that would help the leafs i.e Tanev?
Lets just not go there,,Nylander is another prima donna like i thought,,i new after he signed back with Toronto he would suck.I have no interest at all..

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't think Dubas is that impatient that he'd be shopping him already. I think most reasonable people expected that it would take him a while to catch up to the guys who've been playing all year. His value is only dropping with fans.

But good GM's should be keeping their finger on the pulse of that.

Babs

Feb 20, 2008
Kelowna
I don't think Dubas is that impatient that he'd be shopping him already. I think most reasonable people expected that it would take him a while to catch up to the guys who've been playing all year. His value is only dropping with fans.

But good GM's should be keeping their finger on the pulse of that.

I agree that the right move will be to be patient with him but even so he is not a necessary piece on that team on that team and they need to sign Marner so they are going to have to make room under the cap. If we offered Tanev and Virtanen would you be ok with that deal?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I agree that the right move will be to be patient with him but even so he is not a necessary piece on that team on that team and they need to sign Marner so they are going to have to make room under the cap. If we offered Tanev and Virtanen would you be ok with that deal?
Oh, I would 100%. That's a bloody steal for the Canucks.

I don't think they feel any need to make that move though. Toronto has tons of cap space, a lot of tradeable assets, and a lot of young cheap prospects who look close.

I actually think a team like Winnipeg is the team that is going to struggle to sign their RFA's more than Toronto. Laine, Trouba and Connor is a lot of cake.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Toronto is not dumping Nylander 50 days after a 6 year contract.

Benning is not smart enough to sell Tanev.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Would Ferland even be able to protect the teams star players? Or will he be more like Roussel where he causes more **** which results in the teams star players being targeted?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So here is what I would do:

At this year's trade deadline I would look to move Edler + Sutter to Nashville for Fabbro and a 1st round pick. I would also move Gudbranson to Florida for a 2nd round pick. Both picks being in the 2019 draft.

On July 1, after paying his final big bonus, I would talk Eriksson into retiring. Threaten him with waivers, do whatever I gotta do to get him off the team.

Those moves clear up a lot of cap space. I would then feel comfortable with offering Mark Stone $48M over 6 years. I would also attempt to bring in Artemi Panarin for 6 years, $54M (I doubt we can get both, but wouldn't be bad to attempt to, assuming we could dump Benning's bad contracts). Would need to find a way to dump Beagle. Schaller and Gagner could be buried for another year as this plan would have enough cap space to allow for that.

I would also look for a couple veterans on cheap contracts to fill out the roster. Tyler Ennis, perhaps, would be a solid filler as he is versatile and can provide decent offense. On D I would look at some veterans to round out the roster. See if Jay Bouwmeester can get back into form on a cheap contract, as a placeholder for Juolevi (hoping he can make the jump, otherwise it's bust status for him). Nick Jensen is also someone who could be a solid option on the bottom pair on the right side.

The key will be to not overspend because we'll need to hold back some cap space for the raise Pettersson will get, and the anticipated raise Hughes will get in a couple years. I would love to also take a run at another high ticket defenseman, but that could get us into cap trouble.

Panarin (9) - Pettersson (3.775) - Boeser (7.5)*
Baertschi (3.367) - Horvat (5.5) - Stone (8)
Roussel (3) - Gaudette (0.925) - Virtanen (1.25)
Gaunce (0.75)* - MacEwen (0.925) - Leivo (0.925)
Ennis (0.8)

Forwards: $45.717M

Hughes (3.775) - Tanev (4.45)
Hutton (3.75)* - Stecher (2.325)
Bouwmeester (1.5) - Jensen (1.5)
Juolevi (0.925) - Fabbro (0.925)

Defense: $19.6M

Markstrom (3.667)
Demko (0.925)

Team: $69.909M
Estimated cap: $83M
Estimated cap space: $13.091M

I like the top 6. The third line, if Gaudette develops, can be a solid one. Fourth line should do a decent job defensively, with a bit of pop.

Defense is still very much a work in progress. That's an indictment of Benning's past inability of bringing in any kind of NHL talent there.

I get this isn't exactly realistic, and these bad contracts aren't going to just disappear. But if they could....and if we could coax two high ticket free agents to come here, it could be decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad