Prospect Info: 2019 Rookie Tournament in Antioch, Tennessee: September 7th - 10th

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

The Tampa Bay Lightning today announced the roster that will represent the team at the 2019 NHL Prospect Showcase being held September 7-10 at Ford Ice Center in Antioch, Tennessee. The team will report for testing and physicals on Thursday, September 5. They will conduct open practices at the Brandon Ice Sports Forum at 2 p.m. on Thursday and 10:45 a.m. on Friday, September 6.

All Lightning games will be streamed live on www.TampaBayLightning.com.

Lightning Game Schedule:

Saturday, Sept 7 vs. Nashville Predators 4 p.m.
Sunday, Sept 8 vs. Carolina Hurricanes 4 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept 10 vs. Washington Capitals 10 a.m.

Roster:

16 TAYLOR RADDYSH
36 ALEXEY LIPANOV
39 RYAN LOHIN
40 NOLAN FOOTE
41 BORIS KATCHOUK
42 OTTO SOMPPI
47 JIMMY HUNTINGTON
51 MAXIM CAJKOVIC
60 ALEX BARRE-BOULET
72 MIKHAIL SHALAGIN
82 GABRIEL FORTIER
83 PETER ABBANDONATO
92 ROSS COLTON
93 ELI ZUMMACK*

34 LOUIS CREVIER*
50 QUINN SCHMIEMANN
52 CAL FOOTE
64 MATT SPENCER
65 ALEXANDER DERSCH*
76 OLEG SOSUNOV
78 CODY DONAGHEY*

30 MATT GREENFIELD*
80 CLINT WINDSOR*

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Solid group of forwards... but that D... ...

We should think about how to get better at drafting D.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Solid group of forwards... but that D... ...

We should think about how to get better at drafting D.

Well we have 4 drafted D playing in the NCAA who can't be there, one in Russia and one in the Czech republic. So the D would look a little better with those kids there, still not great, better than the goalie pool for sure.

Reactions: DFC

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Is there any hope for Spencer to become a decent prospect?

No. He's not even too good for the ECHL. He most likely plays out his ELC this year and isn't qualified next year unless he really improves this season. Dylan Blujus was a fellow 2nd rounder but he was able to stick in the AHL and was pretty good in his time there but wasn't qualified after his ELC ended. I can't see Spencer being anything more than a guy who gets an AHL deal but ends up playing most of it in the ECHL.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Yay! Looking forward to seeing all our Baby Bolts!!

I know there might be some bigger names, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of Somppi and Sosunov. Sosunov made HUGE strides in his skating, working hard with Barb at Dev Camp. And I just like how Somppi plays. I'm also interested in seeing if Cal Foote has improved his skating any.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Anyone care to guess the line combinations? Or suggested or hopeful?

Foote - Huntington - Barre-Boulet
Katchouk - Colton - Raddysh
Shalagin - Lipanov - Cajkovic
Fortier - Somppi - Lohin

For the 1st line I tried to put Barre-Boulet with Nolan Foote to add some size to his line. Jimmy Huntington is probably the best playmaking center of this group, so I put him between ABB and Foote who are talented goal scorers. I think that works well as a scoring line.

For the 2nd line I kept Colton and Raddysh together who iirc played a lot on the same line in Syracuse. This is also the only line I have made up of 3 Crunch players.

3rd line I have the 2 Russians together. Shalagin doesn't speak english, so I figure having Lipanov next to him in games, on the bench, and in practice will help. Cajkovic is pretty speedy too, so that should make up for Shalagins skating ability.

On the 4th line I have Fortier. The LW depth on this team with Foote, Katchouk, and Shalagin is pretty good, but I have Fortier on the 4th line because he can probably play that role the best. Same kinda think with Somppi, who played a lot of 4th line last year when he was in Syracuse.

As for the Defense, I have no idea. Sosunov and Schmiemann are leftys and Foote and Spencer are rightys, but I'm not crazy about any combination there. I'd like to see the most ice time from Sosunov and Foote, but a pairing of the 2 doesn't sound like a good idea.

Reactions: NatoGhost

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Somehow I'm most excited to see Shalagin. I feel like this is a boom or bust prospect who could make a big difference for us if he booms.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Somehow I'm most excited to see Shalagin. I feel like this is a boom or bust prospect who could make a big difference for us if he booms.
I feel the same way about Cajkovic too. Having both of them pop up at the same time would be crazy.

So is it confirmed Shalagin is staying stateside from now on?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel the same way about Cajkovic too. Having both of them pop up at the same time would be crazy.

So is it confirmed Shalagin is staying stateside from now on?

The Seadogs are my local junior team so I'm hoping to get out and see Cajkovic a few times this year. I love when we draft Seadogs. :)

I haven't heard/read anything on Shalagin coming over. I assume we'll want to do that sooner rather than later though. Seems to be our M.O. Anyone else know?

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
There were strong rumors out of Russia after development camp that Shalagin was going to be coming over this year. It was up in the air whether that meant an AHL only deal or his entry level deal. I'd assume with us being close to the contract limit and still having to sign point that they are still trying to figure that part out.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Foote - Huntington - Barre-Boulet
Katchouk - Colton - Raddysh
Shalagin - Lipanov - Cajkovic
Fortier - Somppi - Lohin

For the 1st line I tried to put Barre-Boulet with Nolan Foote to add some size to his line. Jimmy Huntington is probably the best playmaking center of this group, so I put him between ABB and Foote who are talented goal scorers. I think that works well as a scoring line.

For the 2nd line I kept Colton and Raddysh together who iirc played a lot on the same line in Syracuse. This is also the only line I have made up of 3 Crunch players.

3rd line I have the 2 Russians together. Shalagin doesn't speak english, so I figure having Lipanov next to him in games, on the bench, and in practice will help. Cajkovic is pretty speedy too, so that should make up for Shalagins skating ability.

On the 4th line I have Fortier. The LW depth on this team with Foote, Katchouk, and Shalagin is pretty good, but I have Fortier on the 4th line because he can probably play that role the best. Same kinda think with Somppi, who played a lot of 4th line last year when he was in Syracuse.

As for the Defense, I have no idea. Sosunov and Schmiemann are leftys and Foote and Spencer are rightys, but I'm not crazy about any combination there. I'd like to see the most ice time from Sosunov and Foote, but a pairing of the 2 doesn't sound like a good idea.

Think your reasoning is sound but id be surprised to see Foote and huntington on line 1 ahead of guys with an AHL year under their belt. But the AHL line has chemistry so makes sense. Could be our #1 line but ABB on line 2?

Didnt ABB play more center?

Also is fortier a C normally?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The Seadogs are my local junior team so I'm hoping to get out and see Cajkovic a few times this year. I love when we draft Seadogs. :)

I haven't heard/read anything on Shalagin coming over. I assume we'll want to do that sooner rather than later though. Seems to be our M.O. Anyone else know?
If you check the Shalagin thread he said over the summer his intentions were to leave Russia and cross the pond. The only thing was there was no clear confirmation where he'd play exactly in 2019-20.

Players playing in European leagues normally don't come to this tournament. The only reason he's allowed to be here (I believe) is because he didn't resign with Spartak Moscow and remains without a contract tying him to the KHL/VHL/MHL. He's here, so he'll also be at the main TBL training camp afterwards too so we'll have to wait to see where he ends up. As GoBoltz said, we are a little tight on contracts, but I guess as a last resort if we can't find a team for him, he could always go back to Russia for the year.
Think your reasoning is sound but id be surprised to see Foote and huntington on line 1 ahead of guys with an AHL year under their belt. But the AHL line has chemistry so makes sense. Could be our #1 line but ABB on line 2?
Yeah I'm never sure how teams view a tournament like this. On the one hand, you want to win, sure, but on the other hand you want to see your prospects play. Not sure how the Bolts will look to balance those 2 things. I have a feeling guys like Nolan Foote will get a strong look now before he goes back to Kelowna, while some of the older guys who are going to Syracuse or Orlando will get there chance in the main camp and NHL preseason.
Didnt ABB play more center?

Also is fortier a C normally?
ABB was a center in juniors, but I believe he played wing in Syracuse. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. As for Fortier, he plays center for Baie-Comeau but when he was drafted by the Bolts he was a LW, so I think he's a natural winger. During Canada's summer camp this month, they had him play both positions.

Reactions: DFC

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If you check the Shalagin thread he said over the summer his intentions were to leave Russia and cross the pond. The only thing was there was no clear confirmation where he'd play exactly in 2019-20.

Players playing in European leagues normally don't come to this tournament. The only reason he's allowed to be here (I believe) is because he didn't resign with Spartak Moscow and remains without a contract tying him to the KHL/VHL/MHL. He's here, so he'll also be at the main TBL training camp afterwards too so we'll have to wait to see where he ends up. As GoBoltz said, we are a little tight on contracts, but I guess as a last resort if we can't find a team for him, he could always go back to Russia for the year.

Can't Syracuse sign him to an AHL contract and then we can sign him next season when we have some spots open up?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Can't Syracuse sign him to an AHL contract and then we can sign him next season when we have some spots open up?
I don't know. I've never seen a draft pick sign an AHL deal with the team that drafted them instead of a NHL contract. I'm not sure if the CBA protects draft picks and you can only sign them to ELCs.

We've seen undrafted free agents like Abbandonato or previously like Cory Conacher and Yanni Gourde go on AHL deals first, and players like J.P. Cote who was drafted by Toronto, but never received a qualifying offer and then became a FA go on AHL deals, but not with a current draftee.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Baby Bolts will practice at the Ice Sports Forum later this afternoon.

Stacy Roest on some of the prospects:

Barre-Boulet
"He's smart," Roest said. "You give him the puck down low below the top of the circles and he makes plays and he puts the puck in the net."
"He had a great season, but he's not satisfied," Roest said. "He wants to go to the next level, and we want him at the next level. He had a good offseason. He worked. He showed up every day and worked hard. Looks like he's stronger. We're excited to see him in camp."
Huntington
"He got the opportunity last year to play with good players and he put up great numbers," Roest said. "But if you went and watched him play, he was always the center of it. He drove the line. He had the puck. He made plays. He worked. He backchecked. He won face-offs. Complete player, so we signed him as an overager and we're excited to add him to our prospect depth."
Shalagin
"It's all going to be new to him a little bit," Roest said. "He came to development camp, impressed us with how he can shoot the puck and how he can handle the puck. He's getting stronger…Obviously, learning the language is going to be a little bit of a challenge for him because he doesn't know English that well. We're excited. He's big, strong, tall; a guy that can shoot the puck and make plays."

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm so freaking stoked. Hungtington, Foote, Shalagin and Cajkovic are the ones I have my eyes on the most. I'm pretty sure all 4 of them are going to be equally impressive. @DistantThunderRep I think I saw somewhere that Shalagin is going to stay in NA. He might start his season in somewhere like Orlando but I think both player and organization understand that his development is going to be focused on doing everything effectively as opposed to quickly.

Reactions: Zwui21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->