Music: 2019 Rock & Roll HOF: Embrace recycling

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Radiohead - I suppose. They're kind of a flash in the pan relative to some artists though...no clue what modern acts they inspired, though, short of Muse.
:eek::doh: What a strange claim to make. Radiohead's "flash in the pan" has been happening for a quarter of a century now and still going strong with no end remotely in sight.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh, sorry - missed the "current" because I don't think of Radiohead as a "current" band. Muse, and by the same consideration of Radiohead as a current band, Depeche Mode, Pearl Jam, and the Rolling Stones.
Green Day , Red Hot Chili Peppers , Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam

They are still technically "Current bands" since they are active and tour/record
You think the current iteration of these bands are still as critically successful as Radiohead?

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Kobayashi Maru
Dec 10, 2007
Radiohead is not a flash in the pan. Just their digital album sales alone are 12.3 million+.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I still can't believe Iron Maiden hasn't been inducted. They check off most of the boxes.

Influential - check...ie. Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold
Innovative - check
Popular - check; still sell out stadiums to this day
Critical acclaimed albums - check, kinda...they never did have that one album that was universally acclaimed but several were very well received by critics
One of the most popular of all-time in their genre..probably top-3 or top-4.
Charismatic lead singer with distinctive voice -check...not really one of the boxes that needs to checked I would think, but it doesn't hurt!

Only factor that could possibly count against them are the lack of popular singles, but really, everyone knows several of their songs...and it's not their fault radio stations and MTV wouldn't play their music on a regular basis if at all due to them being satanic, don't you know.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Until The Guess Who are inducted, I just can't take this Hall of Fame seriously

Totally agree with you. I just can't figure why they get overlooked year after year especially when the music of some inductees does not even have any semblance to rock music. Another band that should have been inducted years ago is BTO.

:jets

Reactions: peate

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I will never understand why Journey and Foreigner are always ignored

They had huge influence even if people for some reason hate them for it
They have zero influence. Nobody goes around saying they were influenced by Journey. You may as well put Bread in if you're going to put loser groups like Journey and Foreigner in. Journey is literally only in the hall because of Glee. LetsLlet that sink in.

Reactions: kihei

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
:eek::doh: What a strange claim to make. Radiohead's "flash in the pan" has been happening for a quarter of a century now and still going strong with no end remotely in sight.
Well, y'see, it's the "still going strong" I disagree with. They've got a large fanbase, but I think it's only that fanbase that thinks they're still going strong. See if anyone who isn't a dedicated Radiohead fan can name a single song they've had in the last 18 years. Depeche Mode's fanbase probably thinks the same. They still pack stadiums too, but I'm fairly confident their days of influencing people are gone by. Radiohead's in that same category.

Reactions: Jussi

Ceremony

Very Online Guy... perusing the forums
Jun 8, 2012
Well, y'see, it's the "still going strong" I disagree with. They've got a large fanbase, but I think it's only that fanbase that thinks they're still going strong. See if anyone who isn't a dedicated Radiohead fan can name a single song they've had in the last 18 years. Depeche Mode's fanbase probably thinks the same. They still pack stadiums too, but I'm fairly confident their days of influencing people are gone by. Radiohead's in that same category.
You really don't have a clue what you're talking about. Radiohead have released at least three seminal albums in that time and their reputation has solidified to the point where, rightfully, everything they do warrants attention. If you think they faded into obscurity or unpopularity after Pablo Honey then you can't really comment on them at all, sorry.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I realize this isn't the greatest source but both Kid A and In Rainbows are in the top 15 rated albums of all time on RateYourMusic.com (Kid A being #3). Kid A is frequently named one of the best albums of the 2000's. People obviously still care about and listen to Radiohead.

I also found it strange that you claim Radiohead is a flash in the pan but didn't mention that The Zombies only released two records in a span of three years before breaking up.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I realize this isn't the greatest source but both Kid A and In Rainbows are in the top 15 rated albums of all time on RateYourMusic.com (Kid A being #3). Kid A is frequently named one of the best albums of the 2000's. People obviously still care about and listen to Radiohead.

I also found it strange that you claim Radiohead is a flash in the pan but didn't mention that The Zombies only released two records in a span of three years before breaking up.
And yet people are still mentioning them 4 decades later. And I didn't describe Radiohead as a flash in the pan, I described them as a "relative" flash in the pan, compared to some other groups. And yes, RateYourMusic isn't a great source, since it's rate YOUR music...and Radiohead fans, as demonstrated in this thread, are passionate about having their favorite band recognized as great, and as I mentioned they have a large fanbase. So it really isn't indicative of anything. I don't deny Radiohead is influential, I don't deny they should get in the hall someday...but there are other bands and individuals that should get in there first.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It’s a crime that Faith No More are never in the discussion, but at the same time it would be a shame to see Mike Patton associate at all with the HOF at all.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I still can't believe Iron Maiden hasn't been inducted. They check off most of the boxes.

Influential - check...ie. Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold
Innovative - check
Popular - check; still sell out stadiums to this day
Critical acclaimed albums - check, kinda...they never did have that one album that was universally acclaimed but several were very well received by critics
One of the most popular of all-time in their genre..probably top-3 or top-4.
Charismatic lead singer with distinctive voice -check...not really one of the boxes that needs to checked I would think, but it doesn't hurt!

Only factor that could possibly count against them are the lack of popular singles, but really, everyone knows several of their songs...and it's not their fault radio stations and MTV wouldn't play their music on a regular basis if at all due to them being satanic, don't you know.

Only thing against them is Jan Wenner hates them, that is the only reason they are not in

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
You really don't have a clue what you're talking about. Radiohead have released at least three seminal albums in that time and their reputation has solidified to the point where, rightfully, everything they do warrants attention. If you think they faded into obscurity or unpopularity after Pablo Honey then you can't really comment on them at all, sorry.
Who the hell said "after Pablo Honey"?!? Setting up straw man arguments much? Their 3 biggest (well, most important) albums came after that...but in succession (Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows I don't include, though I'm sure diehard fans would). But Pablo was 1994...and In Rainbows was 2007, so at best Radiohead's biggest period spanned 13 years, and I'd argue it really ended with Kid A, when they really started shedding anything other than core fans, which was released in 2000 and thus their biggest period was only 6 years long, one short of The Beatles (who all continued individually through the 70s and MacCartney and Harrison continued hitting the charts well into the 80s). Hence my "relative flash in the pan" reference. So I have to reflect that "you don't know what you're talking about" comment back at you. Hard to get perspective on the world when you're trapped in the room, but I'm sure you don't get what I mean by that.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I think Radiohead is pretty damn good although I'm not a die-hard fan but this has got to be one of the stupidest comments I've read concerning music on the entertainment board. Just hopelessly dumb.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Who the hell said "after Pablo Honey"?!? Setting up straw man arguments much? Their 3 biggest (well, most important) albums came after that...but in succession (Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows I don't include, though I'm sure diehard fans would). But Pablo was 1994...and In Rainbows was 2007, so at best Radiohead's biggest period spanned 13 years, and I'd argue it really ended with Kid A, when they really started shedding anything other than core fans, which was released in 2000 and thus their biggest period was only 6 years long, one short of The Beatles (who all continued individually through the 70s and MacCartney and Harrison continued hitting the charts well into the 80s). Hence my "relative flash in the pan" reference. So I have to reflect that "you don't know what you're talking about" comment back at you. Hard to get perspective on the world when you're trapped in the room, but I'm sure you don't get what I mean by that.
At this point, you should just lay down your peashooter and leave the field.

Ceremony

Very Online Guy... perusing the forums
Jun 8, 2012

I took this to mean post-Pablo Honey:

. The meandering style of music they eventually developed alienated their early fanbase (honestly, even The Bends alienated some fans of Pablo Honey, though I really couldn't understand that from a personal perspective) and I'd argue really limited the number of artists they ended up influencing.

If it wasn't, my fault.

I've never heard of the music hall of fame outside of HFBoards and don't get why people would get really worked up about it or who's in it, but as one of the most commercially and critically successful bands of the 25 years of their career who've been able to reinvent themselves musically multiple times (mostly successfully, anyone who tells you The King of Limbs is good is lying) I don't see how you could reject Radiohead unless you had minimal knowledge of all music released this century.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They have zero influence. Nobody goes around saying they were influenced by Journey. You may as well put Bread in if you're going to put loser groups like Journey and Foreigner in. Journey is literally only in the hall because of Glee. LetsLlet that sink in.

Foreigner is better than Journey. Not as influential as Hall and Oates.

Juke Box Hero, Waiting for a Girl Like You, Urgent, these are solid songs.

Don't know if they belong in the hall, but "loser group"?

Please.

Maybe I'm just old.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

If Influence is what is holding them back how do you explain the Monkees then?

Surely the Monkees are one of the most influential groups of era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->