Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-9-18_0-3-9.png

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
For Yaz, ‘it’s definitely going to be emotional’ seeing his grandson at Fenway
By Dan Shaughnessy

In the old days, it would have been Sherm Feller, Fenway’s voice of God, making the majestic announcement from upstairs in the PA booth.

Now batting . . . Number 8, Carl Yastrzemski. Left field. Yastrzemski.

Tuesday night at Fenway Park, Henry Mahegan will do the honors when Giants outfielder Mike Yastrzemski (No. 5 in your program) steps into the same batter’s box where his grandfather, Carl, stood all those years ago.

“It will be the first time since 1983 that the name ‘Yastrzemski’ will be announced,’’ says Grandpa Yaz, now 80. “It’s definitely going to be emotional. To see him come into Fenway Park where I played for 23 years, to have his name announced, that will be a great thrill for me.’’

The Red Sox are all about history. They play in a 107-year-old baseball museum that has essentially become part of the Freedom Trail. The Sox provide daily conversation and connect generations. We may be a Patriots town today, but nobody is ever going to wax poetic about holding their dad’s hand and stepping around pools of vomit the first time they walked up the stands at old Foxboro Stadium. With the old Boston Garden long gone, Fenway stands as our last local sports cathedral.
I'm so happy for him he gets to do that. I'm loving watching him play.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was there for Bonds 1st Homer at Fenway. I believe it was the last stadium he homered in. Off of Wakefield. Boos were LOUD, that’s when he was a much more hated figure due to people pretending to care about steroids

Only thing I know about SF-BOS

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I was there for Bonds 1st Homer at Fenway. I believe it was the last stadium he homered in. Off of Wakefield. Boos were LOUD, that’s when he was a much more hated figure due to people pretending to care about steroids

The Bonds hatred was such a weird thing in retrospect. If he played today, it'd be much different.

He was a cheater, he lied about it frequently, he had a generally dislikable attitude. But part of me thinks that he got more shit than he deserved and that we had an all-time elite pure power hitter, a second-generation athlete who even without the gas would've been a perennial all-star, and we didn't appreciate it at all when he played. Everyone rooted for him to fail.

Reactions: dabid and CDJ

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The Bonds hatred was such a weird thing in retrospect. If he played today, it'd be much different.

He was a cheater, he lied about it frequently, he had a generally dislikable attitude. But part of me thinks that he got more **** than he deserved and that we had an all-time elite pure power hitter, a second-generation athlete who even without the gas would've been a perennial all-star, and we didn't appreciate it at all when he played. Everyone rooted for him to fail.

No real difference between him and Ortiz and Piazza, yet he took the fall, being the poster child for that era.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I went to Yaz last game in 1983 still have the program and poster from that game

The world was so different then

I was at game early in the season and it was known Yastrzemski last season

I bought 2 tickets in right field not far from where Evans made that great catch in game 6 of the WS

Johnny Bench the same day was also last game in Cincinnati

Bench to me greatest catcher ever

Yaz 1967 season as good as I’ve ever seen

I was 8 that year and he introduced me to the sport

Phenomenal

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Always felt Dombrowski was one of the top mlb men. Didn't really read the why but hard to understand why they fired him.
All the sox did was win the ws
Last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad