Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-9-9_19-7-39.png

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The biggest mystery is why Larry Lucchino is still around ( in exile in Pawtucket/Worcester )

View attachment 253679

40 years ago the Yankees were a complete gong show BUT you knew who was in charge - that is not the case with this team

He actually posed for this ( poor horse )

0002638_george-steinbrenner-of-the-yankees.jpeg

Lucchino's whole team is working on the Worcester project you mentioned a few weeks ago that Gordon wanted to bring back Lucchino. If he gained majority ownership of the team maybe there is a power move in the work's by Gordon, Tom Werner and Lucchino to take power away from Linda and Henry.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think I'm ok with trying to get Linda out of the picture but I'm all set with Lucchino running the team again.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
When people suggest that they can't afford JD and Mookie now because they gave Eovaldi and Sale contracts, I just get annoyed. John Henry owns the f***ing New York Times, a stake in the Premier League, and a ton of other holdings. Dude's essentially printing money. But they act like a 25% luxury tax is the end of the world.

He's going to let Mookie walk so he can buy one more ivory backscratcher.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
When people suggest that they can't afford JD and Mookie now because they gave Eovaldi and Sale contracts, I just get annoyed. John Henry owns the ****ing New York Times, a stake in the Premier League, and a ton of other holdings. Dude's essentially printing money. But they act like a 25% luxury tax is the end of the world.

Sam Kennedy i think said on toucher and rich that it is a huge cost to keep preserving fenway and its factored into their budget.

Last edited:

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
The biggest mystery is why Larry Lucchino is still around ( in exile in Pawtucket/Worcester )

View attachment 253679

40 years ago the Yankees were a complete gong show BUT you knew who was in charge - that is not the case with this team

He actually posed for this ( poor horse )

0002638_george-steinbrenner-of-the-yankees.jpeg

That horse is adorable- looks like they're modeling, haha. Cute horse.

That's all.......

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
When people suggest that they can't afford JD and Mookie now because they gave Eovaldi and Sale contracts, I just get annoyed. John Henry owns the ****ing New York Times, a stake in the Premier League, and a ton of other holdings. Dude's essentially printing money. But they act like a 25% luxury tax is the end of the world.

Violating the luxury tax is a bad idea from a team building standpoint too (impacts your draft pick and subsequently your draft pool among other things)

But like seidenbergy brought up earlier they have Sandoval and Porcello coming off the books so they can f*** right off if they say they have no money for mookie. That’s without mentioning Rusney and Pedroia too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seidenbergy and BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
While the way they went about everything has been completely spineless I do want to reiterate that I’m very excited to see Romero featured prominently in the front office....hopefully he gets the official GM title.

System is already trending up as is. I think they’re preparing to build around Devers and Bogaerts. These reports coming out about Mookie seem like they’re Trying to cushion the blow and I hate them for it

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Sam Kennedy i think said on toucher and rich that it a huge cost to keep preserving fenway and its factored into their budget.

He owns the Boston Globe not the NYT and he has shrewdly gotten the paper for nothing by selling off the Worcester paper and the land in Dorchester where the Globe was printed for 60 years.

In the Fenway Sports Group empire, the Red Sox do lose money and Liverpool FC is the crown jewel.

NESN is at a crossroads - based on the recent sale of YES, NESN is most likely worth at least $1.5 BILLION on the open market.

Here is where they need to be careful - NESN is only valuable as long as cable/satellite companies pay hefty subscriber fees that they then pass on to anybody who has service. A nonsports fan has to pay for NESN ( and NBC Sports Boston ) even if they never watch.

Look at your bill

upload_2019-9-10_0-38-9.png

But people ARE cord-cutting so will revenue continue to flow into NESN :dunno:

Werner screwed up when he fired Orsillo for Dave O'Brien as he had no comprehension that fans would endure a 3 or 4 hour game on NESN in the hope that Orsillo and Remy would get into a giggle fit.

How many years does Fenway Park have left? That has to be factored in and when the time comes where could they build a new park???

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’d also venture to say the fact that they own multiple entities (sports clubs, papers, etc) is the exact reason why they won’t empty their pockets on the Red Sox, it’s not a reason why they should.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I’d also venture to say the fact that they own multiple entities (sports clubs, papers, etc) is the exact reason why they won’t empty their pockets on the Red Sox, it’s not a reason why they should.
I feel like a hypocrite when I defended Jeremy Jacobs in the other thread for not being as reckless as Dolan and Illitch and threatening to bankrupt the entire NHL with salary structures, yet bash John Henry for not going over the luxury tax to win every World Series.

Yeah, very few billionaires are going to let their holdings just run a multimillion dollar deficit every year out of vanity. Especially when they have won four championships already.

It just feels cheap when they're going to let a talent like Mookie go because of a couple million a year plus tax when Henry and Werner probably have a Scrooge McDuck swimming pool full of coins at home.

Reactions: CDJ

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Violating the luxury tax is a bad idea from a team building standpoint too (impacts your draft pick and subsequently your draft pool among other things)

But like seidenbergy brought up earlier they have Sandoval and Porcello coming off the books so they can **** right off if they say they have no money for mookie. That’s without mentioning Rusney and Pedroia too.

Pedroia has 2 years left after this year, and Bogaerts bumps to $20m after this year from $12m. Castillo’s $12m does go away after the 2020 season.

Price and Eovaldi eat up about $47m combined for next 3 years. Sale close to $30m for 4 more years.

So the coming “savings” aren’t as huge as perceived by some and they’ve got $75m tied up in 3 pitchers who’s futures are very very uncertain. Not a good place to be.

So they’re laying groundwork for what could be the moving of some key players. I’d just prefer if they are going to do it, shut up and do it when the time is right. Don’t massage things in advance to set the stage, it’s embarrassing and it is insulting to fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad