2019 QMJHL Entry draft

IslandScouter

Nov 22, 2011
Prince Edward Island
Zac Biggar continues to impress, could he find himself in the top 10? As for other island stand outs Matthew McQuaid and Alex Graham stood out to me and are probably climbing the ranks

SWRekker

Oct 8, 2009
I'd pick Yargeau in the top 3 rounds from Triolet. He's probably the only one though. I'd have maybe put Cardona in the discussion but he's up with Lac St-Louis now that Legault is officially done for the year and maybe beyond that.

Loved Biggar with the puck on his stick, very poised defender with solid puck moving abilities.

Campbell is a tenacious and annoying player to play against, was impressed by him.

Evan Nause looks like he has everything you want in a defenseman but his team wasn't good enough. I think he's a top 5 guy.

Cameron Whynot has very good tools, I think he's a first round lock but I personally didn't think he was top 5 good.

I also loved Kidney, the guy is a very nice playmaker.

Drew Elliott has speed and works very hard, he's another guy I'd consider with a late first or second round pick (like Kidney).

Overall I'd say the Trois-Rivieres guys improved their draft stock big time. Bolduc looks like a top 5 guy, Guevin has taken strides to get into the first round and Pellerin and Bedard were outstanding as well.

I absolutely loved Charles Boutin from SSF, always did but man did he breakout now that he finally has more ice-time. Looked like a solid first round talent to me.

Was a fun tournament, still think it would be nice to see more equal divisions. Magog, Trois-Rivieres and Gatineau in the same division is pretty tough.

Looks like Yargeau is already playing for Magog.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Cameron MacDonald is supposed to be a Top 5 pick in the QMJHL Draft but he’s still undecided where he wants to go yet. He’s already ranked Eligible for the 2021 NHL Draft I’ve seen the kid he’s good.

ya his family is 50/50...Halifax of course is pursuing him local kid with size and amazing talent...I think he will look at coming QMJHL when all is said and done.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Looks like Yargeau is already playing for Magog.

Saw Magog play on Friday when they stopped Levis' 34 games winning streak. Yargeau wasn't the guy they chose to play the rest of the year after Lessard graduated to the Q, but Yargeau has been playing some games when injuries occur.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Legault's supposed to play again next year, his injury is a neck injury or something because he grew too fast and his body is hurting all over. Not a concussion. Don't know where he gets drafted. If I'm a team I take a flyer in the late first round but I expect him to drop further.

atlanticcanadaproud

Feb 21, 2019
It seems to me that most here have little idea about the qmjhl draft it is not just a quebec draft it also covers the atlantic provinces. I see no mention of Zach Dean on here anywhere and he may be the best of the bunch, he is lighting up the gthl minor minor midget league, much better than Mcdonald, he has proven that tournament after tournament.

Reactions: Saggy

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It seems to me that most here have little idea about the qmjhl draft it is not just a quebec draft it also covers the atlantic provinces. I see no mention of Zach Dean on here anywhere and he may be the best of the bunch, he is lighting up the gthl minor minor midget league, much better than Mcdonald, he has proven that tournament after tournament.

People based in Quebec are more likely to see the QC boys whereas people based in the Maritimes are more likely to see Atlantic boys... that's normal. You can't expect Quebec people to rank Maritimes players if they havn't seen them enough.

The only guy on these boards who can actually produce a decent mixed ranking is scoutman and he usually goes heavy on the Maritimes players so... you can't really complain!

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
I have not seen alot of the 03 players from Quebec, From what I saw at Red Deer, It is a very good group of hockey sense players. From all sides, Goalies,Def and forwards. I only saw one period where they were out played. But the level of talent is very amazing. No one looked out of place or lost. Not sure if its the coaching , but the players were amazing. Ontario also was very good, but not at the same level. You never know what or who the coach selects for this event. Some political, some kids play in levels, to get more points, etc. Alberta has talented players but did gell like Ont or Quebec.
Manitoba has a some bright spots, as did Nova Scotia. BC was a mess, Only the goalies really stood out. It will be fun to watch the players from Quebec to see how they do the rest of the season and draft day.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Zac Biggar continues to impress, could he find himself in the top 10? As for other island stand outs Matthew McQuaid and Alex Graham stood out to me and are probably climbing the ranks

Top 10 a little bit of a stretch for Zach, think he will fall anywhere in the 50-60 region, last time i checked neither McQuaid or Graham were ranked in the top 100.... that was as of 2 weeks ago. Obviously could change but only 3 islanders were in the top 100 (D-biggar, D-Squires and G-J.Smith )

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019

Atlantic Stock is as high this year as i have seen it in the last 5 or so years. A lot of very talented players will not only get drafted but will go on to be impact players at the next level. Whynot and Macdonald are very high picks both in top 5 i'd say, Dean is extremely crafty and his speed alone is exceptional, not sure on if he is a 1st round talent yet but most definitely top 3 rounds.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Atlantic Stock is as high this year as i have seen it in the last 5 or so years. A lot of very talented players will not only get drafted but will go on to be impact players at the next level. Whynot and Macdonald are very high picks both in top 5 i'd say, Dean is extremely crafty and his speed alone is exceptional, not sure on if he is a 1st round talent yet but most definitely top 3 rounds.
So, Cam MacDonald is a top 5 pick BUT Zach Dean should go in the first three rounds? Not quite sure how much of Dean you’ve actually seen. Take out Shane Wright and he’s the best forward in the GTHL. A projected top 5 pick for the OHL draft if was eligible.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks

So, Cam MacDonald is a top 5 pick BUT Zach Dean should go in the first three rounds? Not quite sure how much of Dean you’ve actually seen. Take out Shane Wright and he’s the best forward in the GTHL. A projected top 5 pick for the OHL draft if was eligible.

Seems like you two either havent seen Macdonakd enough or dont have the ability to watch without bias. Dean is good no doubt, but to say he is way better then Macdonald is absurd.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019

Cam MacDonald is a top 5 pick as is Cam Whynot.... I did hear from a number of scouts that Zach Dean has pushed himself up the rankings not only over the last week in red deer but also since the start of the year. I have heard him being ranked as high as 7th for the draft but also as low as 30th... I am actually a big Dean fan and ive seen him play quite a bit over the last 3 seasons. In MY opinion he is a top 15 player come the draft.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Seems like you two either havent seen Macdonakd enough or dont have the ability to watch without bias. Dean is good no doubt, but to say he is way better then Macdonald is absurd.
Don’t know what you think you read but I don’t know where in my post I said Dean is WAY better than MacDonald. My point was, to say Cam MacDonald is a top 5 pick while Dean could go in the third round is a little crazy. That would infer that MacDonald is clearly WAY better than Dean. To be fair, I’ve only seen MacDonald and Dean go head to head in one tournament but in that tournament Dean was named tournament MVP and was better than MacDonald in the two games they played against each other.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Don’t know what you think you read but I don’t know where in my post I said Dean is WAY better than MacDonald. My point was, to say Cam MacDonald is a top 5 pick while Dean could go in the third round is a little crazy. That would infer that MacDonald is clearly WAY better than Dean. To be fair, I’ve only seen MacDonald and Dean go head to head in one tournament but in that tournament Dean was named tournament MVP and was better than MacDonald in the two games they played against each other.

Other quote in my post said Dean is much better.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Other quote in my post said Dean is much better.
Then why reference my post and direct your resonse at “you two”. My post was not meant to show any disrespect to MacDonald in any way shape or form - he’s an excellent hockey player. My point is, even if you think MacDonald is better than Dean, he’s not that much better where he’d go top 5 and Zach Dean would go in the third round.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
MacDonald was a bit of a disappointment at the Canada Games but you could still see that he has great upside. First round lock. Dean is probably better in my opinion, but I'm also biased by the fact that he plays the type of game I like. Dean is probably up there with Nause, Whynot, Reynolds, and some other top guys. Think Roy is number 1 though.

IslandScouter

Nov 22, 2011
Prince Edward Island
Top 10 a little bit of a stretch for Zach, think he will fall anywhere in the 50-60 region, last time i checked neither McQuaid or Graham were ranked in the top 100.... that was as of 2 weeks ago. Obviously could change but only 3 islanders were in the top 100 (D-biggar, D-Squires and G-J.Smith )

Have to disagree with this. but I am high on Biggar McQuaid Graham and you can add Jack Campbell to the list. Exciting year for island prospects all around!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad