2019 QMJHL Entry draft

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
its a ways away... but this is my early ranking for the 2019 Q draft, quick top 5, based on who I have seen. There's going to be glaring omissions, because I haven't seen many of the guys out east.

#1 Dovar Tinling F LSL Lions South BTAAA
He's a skilled player, he can score and set up plays, hard accurate wrist shot, good skating, keeps it simple, makes others around him better. Not the most physical player, would like to see him use his body more to create chances.

#2 Isarael Miancusum F Abitibi Citadelles ME
He's playing a year up in Midget Espoir, and is abosoloutely lighting it up, reminds me of a young Rick Nash, average skater, strong, good hands, and hard shot, goes to the net, he's physical. I've only seen him once but wow.

#3 Zachary L'Heureux F LSL Grenadiers ME
Hasn't played much but wow this kid has an unreal compete level, always working, goes in the corners, battles, goes to the net, hits, plays a complete game, he's skilled and has a good shot, overall a complete player who does it all.

#4 Charles Emile Duciaume D Sag-Lac Espoirs, BT AAA

Absolute monster, I think he's already 6:3, he's naturally strong, physically punishing D-M, smooth skater, good hands, calm with the puck, tries to do too much at times, and not sure about his Hockey IQ, has a hell of a shot though. Very good 1v1, powerful hitter.

#5 Charles Alexis Legault D LSL Lions North BTAAA

Another monster, hes 6'0 I believe, only reason I have him below Duciaume is because he's a tad smaller, and hasn't played yet this year. He's a great skater, big shot, calm with the puck, makes good decisions with it, doesn't shy away from the physical play, rarely gets beat 1 on 1. Discipline is an issue.

These are just a few of the 03's, should be one of the best crops from QC in awhile.

I haven't seen Tristan or Joshua Roy, but a lot of people have them in the top 5, Bobby Orr, James Malatesta, Alexeï Van Houte Cachero, Anakin Guay Tessier, Thomas Lachapelle, Alexis Brisson, Frederic Dutil, Xavier Martine, Nicola LaCourse Dion, Jonathan Delorme, Hugo Audette and Mathis Cloutier are all names to watch and that's only from the West.

Justin Robidas, Dylan Champagne are amongst guys from the east, I don't see the eastern teams play so hard to comment.

Goalie wise, Shingarov, James, Sauve and Duteau are also supposed to be very good.

Feel free to comment !

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
Good idea to start this thread. Unfortunately I havent had time to do a lot of scouting this year, but here are my thoughts based on last year + a few games this season.

I have to agree with you that #1 is Tinling. Just too much skills to ignore. He's a natural. Looks like one of those offensive Russians out there. Compete level a question mark though.

My #2 would be L'Heureux, based on what I've seen last year + 1 game this year in Espoir, he's really awesome. You described him perfectly.

#3 I would go with Legault, he has all the tools, great skater, offensive skills and nice hockey sense.

Overall you really nailed it with most of the names, of course everyone will have different rankings especially this early. Joshua Roy I think has huge potential, and should be on everyone's radar.

I tend to ignore size at this point, and not get too carried away with bigger guys dominating in Bantam, because they have an obvious advantage. Duciaume I will put a question mark next to for this reason (he hasnt shown enough pure skills so far to be considered a top guy, he dominates with his size and physical maturity. Although I do like his instincts.)

As far as Mianscum go, he's a wildcard. Very physical player with a ton of tools, he is a budding power forward but still a lot of work to be done. Hopefully he finishes the season in Midget AAA with Amos, that would be good for his development not too stay in Espoir too long. I've seen him score some pretty awesome goals, he has a very high compete level, very strong shot and a mean streak.

Gotta keep an eye on dman Thomas Lachapelle, has tremendous skating skills, offensive instincts and feel for the game. I like his potential going forward.

Anyone know where Zack Morissette (Dave's son) is playing this year? He was a solid D with Antoine Girouard last season, but I can't find him on any roster this season. I think he could be considered near the top-10 for this age group, he has a lot of tools, strong on his skates, surprising skating skills and good two-way abilities. He improved a lot during the year.

2003 goalie Samuel Germain is now playing in LHPS after being with Basses-Laurentides BAAA last year, although I wouldnt consider him a among the top prospects at this point. Just wanted to mention it.

Last edited:

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
As far as the 2004 year goes, The Lions Sud have an unbeliveable crop of recruits at forward with Jake Rozzi, Markus Vidicek, Joey Vetrano and Michal Lastarza. Boy oh boy can they ever play. Ton of skills to add to the #1 guy Dovar Tinling in that line-up. That team should win most of the tournaments at this level for the next 2 years.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Good idea to start this thread. Unfortunately I havent had time to do a lot of scouting this year, but here are my thoughts based on last year + a few games this season.

I have to agree with you that #1 is Tinling. Just too much skills to ignore. He's a natural. Looks like one of those offensive Russians out there. Compete level a question mark though.

My #2 would be L'Heureux, based on what I've seen last year + 1 game this year in Espoir, he's really awesome. You described him perfectly.

#3 I would go with Legault, he has all the tools, great skater, offensive skills and nice hockey sense.

Overall you really nailed it with most of the names, of course everyone will have different rankings especially this early. Joshua Roy I think has huge potential, and should be on everyone's radar.

I tend to ignore size at this point, and not get too carried away with bigger guys dominating in Bantam, because they have an obvious advantage. Duciaume I will put a question mark next to for this reason (he hasnt shown enough pure skills so far to be considered a top guy, he dominates with his size and physical maturity. Although I do like his instincts.)

As far as Mianscum go, he's a wildcard. Very physical player with a ton of tools, he is a budding power forward but still a lot of work to be done. Hopefully he finishes the season in Midget AAA with Amos, that would be good for his development not too stay in Espoir too long. I've seen him score some pretty awesome goals, he has a very high compete level, very strong shot and a mean streak.

Gotta keep an eye on dman Thomas Lachapelle, has tremendous skating skills, offensive instincts and feel for the game. I like his potential going forward.

Anyone know where Zack Morissette (Dave's son) is playing this year? He was a solid D with Antoine Girouard last season, but I can't find him on any roster this season. I think he could be considered near the top-10 for this age group, he has a lot of tools, strong on his skates, surprising skating skills and good two-way abilities. He improved a lot during the year.

2003 goalie Samuel Germain is now playing in LHPS after being with Basses-Laurentides BAAA last year, although I wouldnt consider him a among the top prospects at this point. Just wanted to mention it.

I didn't rank Roy cause I haven't seen him but he's got to be in the Top 5.

Only reason I have Israel #2 is cause he's played more and he's a bit bigger. It will be interesting to see if he's this good in MAAA.

Duciaume is still raw skill wise, but then again Legault is raw physically compared to Duciaume.. hard debate.

Personally I've never found Germain that good, hes been surpassed by a lot of goalies, and going to LHPS is going to make it worse.

Re Lions South:

Very beatable team, but lots of talent, the D is unreal, but they have so few patterns that they rely on. Next year they should dominate however.

AlBundy

Jun 9, 2015
Morissette is at Bishops, playing with older kids.

There was a lot of talk about the Lions 2003 crop as being exceptional - their 2004 crop seems to be already ahead of their 03s. Rozzi, Vidicek, Vetrano, Swan and Lastarza are lighting it up as underagers in Bantam AAA.

The best player in the Dodge Cup last year in Bantam AAA was James Malatesta - He missed games due to injury so far, not sure he is 100%. He is the top 2003 in my view - he was the top scorer at the HQ U15 camp in the summer.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
im going to come in on this one.....
from Maritimes I would have Peter Reynolds as my 1st overall for the whole draft....though I think he could be going NCAA as he is dominating Shattuck right now

Cameron Whynot is going to be in talks for 1st overall as well, a 6'00/200 pound defender player Major Midget this year and is one of the top defenders on his team right now, strong, excellent passing, great on the rush, sparks the offense but is physical and smart in his own end. Reminds me of Jared McIsaac.

Cameron MacDonald from Nova Scotia is a scary offensive talent, he is going to be one of the best goal scorers next year in Midget, he is light years ahead of everyone in Bantam this year.

Jacob Melanson is from Nova Scotia and is probably 2nd best bantam to MacDonald, he has great offensive instincts and a great work ethic, he will be a top pick in the QMJHL draft if everything keeps going as is.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Are there any goalies better then Jake Goobie right now? Some growth wouldn’t hurt but he has all the makings to be elite

AlBundy

Jun 9, 2015
Or is it a strategy to get trafted in his home town - Moncton ?

Cole Huckins is much bigger and at least as good. He also left NB and is playing with the varsity team at Stanstead College

D to D

Aug 21, 2013
2003's Equipe Bleu I thought looked very good in the Drummondville Espoir tourney this past week. Impressed with Legault, Malatesta, Audette and a few others.

AlBundy

Jun 9, 2015
2003's Equipe Bleu I thought looked very good in the Drummondville Espoir tourney this past week. Impressed with Legault, Malatesta, Audette and a few others.

It was a very strong team, hard working, big, skilled and fast. I thought their top player was their goalie (Darveau) who finished the tournament with 4 Wins and a GAA < 1

AlBundy

Jun 9, 2015
Reynolds is #1 out of NB
Doucet is not far from that group - the kid can score - he is playing with the Hounds in Sask.
Top goalie, Guignard, is aslo at Notre Dame - could be a top prospect as well if he grows a bit more.

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
Unfortunately havn't been able to scout this year aside from a couple of games here and there. Was just wondering if anyone could update us on the top Quebec born 2003 ? Just judging from what I have seen last season and stats, I'm guessing the rankings would look something like this at this point? People who are more in the know, how would you critique this ranking:

1. Dovar Tinling
2. Joshua Roy
3. Israel Mianscum
4. Zachary L'Heureux
5. Charles-Alexis Legault
6. James Malatesta
7. Charles-Emile Duciaume
8. Mathis Cloutier
9. Jonathan Delorme
10. Nathan Gaucher
11. Hugo Audette
12. Olivier Nadeau
13. Charles Savoie
14. Tristan Roy
15. Justin Robidas
16. Samuel Chabot
17. Robert Orr
18. Samuel Champagne
19. Andrew Belchamber
20. Dylan Champagne

Order is probably skewed and missing a bunch of Ds and goalies.

And also, who are the standouts among first-year players? (born 2004)

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Unfortunately havn't been able to scout this year aside from a couple of games here and there. Was just wondering if anyone could update us on the top Quebec born 2003 ? Just judging from what I have seen last season and stats, I'm guessing the rankings would look something like this at this point? People who are more in the know, how would you critique this ranking:

1. Dovar Tinling
2. Joshua Roy
3. Israel Mianscum
4. Zachary L'Heureux
6. James Malatesta
8. Mathis Cloutier
9. Jonathan Delorme
10. Nathan Gaucher
11. Hugo Audette
12. Olivier Nadeau
13. Charles Savoie
14. Tristan Roy
15. Justin Robidas
16. Samuel Chabot
17. Robert Orr
18. Samuel Champagne
19. Andrew Belchamber
20. Dylan Champagne

I'd say Legault, J. Roy, Malatesta, Orr, Gaucher, L'Heureux, Mianscum and Tinling are probably the clear top 8 guys to me with Roy, Legault and Malatesta separating themselves at the top from maybe Tinling at 4. I'd say Duciaume probably is more in the 15-25 range, and Cloutier just doesn't have the skating right now to be a top 25-30 guy despite great stats. Savoie is the driving force on that team, though Chabot is quite good as well. I think Tristan Roy deserves to be top 10, and as far as I'm concerned, Delorme, Audette, Robidas, both Champagnes and Belchamber are not in the top 20 for sure.

Some guys I'm pretty high on include Lachapelle, Turp-Tremblay, Pavan, Trudel, Bedard and Truchon. It's still early though but this class looks absolutely stacked compared to the 2018 class.

Among the 2004s, there's Warren at CCL, Luneau in Mauricie, P-O Roy in Beauce, Swan, Vetreno, Lastarza, Rozzi in LSL, Barry in Mortagne who have caught my eye so far.

AlBundy

Jun 9, 2015
Thank you Wintersun,

Warren is a monster 6'3, 190lbs at 13 years old. He is tough and has surprisingly agile hands and feet for such a big boy. At this point, he is likely the forerunner for 1st overall in 2020.
To your list, I would add Gravel with Lévis in nets as my top 2004 goalie and Vidicek with LSL who is not too far behind Swan as the top froward in Quebec.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Thank you Wintersun,

Warren is a monster 6'3, 190lbs at 13 years old. He is tough and has surprisingly agile hands and feet for such a big boy. At this point, he is likely the forerunner for 1st overall in 2020.
To your list, I would add Gravel with Lévis in nets as my top 2004 goalie and Vidicek with LSL who is not too far behind Swan as the top froward in Quebec.

Yes, Gravel is no doubt the top goalie. I'd say Swan is the front runner for #1 for me given that he's already leading Malatesta and Orr at times on the ice. Luneau has that Karlsson feeling to him also, might be a candidate. Vidicek is very good, saw him a couple times last weekend, but I like the other 2004s on that team better, personally. Warren is a monster for sure, potential is limitless, could very well be the top dog.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
My opinion based on who we saw and played against.

Mianscum
L'Heureux
Malatesta
Orr
J.Roy
Legault
Tinling
Delorme
Savoie
Lachapelle

Goalies
Sauve
Pace
James
Shingarov
Pelletier
Darveau

Cloutier too slow, he didn't do much against us. I like Audette and Roy, quite a bit., Pilotte is also good.

Warren is nasty, hes a monster and so is Charbonneau, dominant first years on CCL, I can see Luneau's qualities but he was quiet when we played them at U-14, but in BTR kid was flying so there's that.

04's, Swan is easily the best forward, simple game and insane release, hes fast and strong. I like Rozzi a lot too but he never pays but man can he score, he's the best scorer of the bunch. Could end up being the best, Vetrano works hard, but he's not up there with the rest of them, if you like his work ethic better than the other South 03's I'll give you that but he's not on that level. Vidicek and Lastarza are also standouts.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018

1. Dovar Tinling
2. Joshua Roy
3. Israel Mianscum
4. Zachary L'Heureux
6. James Malatesta
8. Mathis Cloutier
9. Jonathan Delorme
10. Nathan Gaucher
11. Hugo Audette
12. Olivier Nadeau
13. Charles Savoie
14. Tristan Roy
15. Justin Robidas
16. Samuel Chabot
17. Robert Orr
18. Samuel Champagne
19. Andrew Belchamber
20. Dylan Champagne

I really liked what I saw from Olivier Nadeau. Big and strong. He always get out of a board battle with the puck. He's such a good playmaker and powerfoward. Him and Joshua Roy played really well together.

Last edited:

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
I'd say Legault, J. Roy, Malatesta, Orr, Gaucher, L'Heureux, Mianscum and Tinling are probably the clear top 8 guys to me with Roy, Legault and Malatesta separating themselves at the top from maybe Tinling at 4. I'd say Duciaume probably is more in the 15-25 range, and Cloutier just doesn't have the skating right now to be a top 25-30 guy despite great stats. Savoie is the driving force on that team, though Chabot is quite good as well. I think Tristan Roy deserves to be top 10, and as far as I'm concerned, Delorme, Audette, Robidas, both Champagnes and Belchamber are not in the top 20 for sure.

Some guys I'm pretty high on include Lachapelle, Turp-Tremblay, Pavan, Trudel, Bedard and Truchon. It's still early though but this class looks absolutely stacked compared to the 2018 class.

Among the 2004s, there's Warren at CCL, Luneau in Mauricie, P-O Roy in Beauce, Swan, Vetreno, Lastarza, Rozzi in LSL, Barry in Mortagne who have caught my eye so far.

Last edited:

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
My Top 20 right now :
1. Joshua Roy
2. Dovar Tinling
3. Israel Mianscum
4. Zachary L'Heureux
5. James Malatesta
6. Charles-Alexis Legault
7. Nathan Gaucher
8. Mathis Cloutier