Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hughes refused to partake in combine testing which would have given a more accurate measurement so I’m taking these 5-10 175 measurements with a grain of salt.

Agreed on the 2nd point. He projects as a Barrie/Krug, and his performance since being drafted has done nothing to change that.

You are right a player like Hughes projects to be most likely a Krug level player. The thing is that he could be much more or less than that. He is still improving so no one knows what he will be. Kane says he could be a future Noris winner. Cory P. had him ranked above Petterson. Not just Canuck fans are hyping him. I have no idea what he will be but I do not think anyone else knows either. Your position is the safe one and I personally would be fairly happy with a Krug level dman.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hughes is Phil Housley 2.0 in todays era. Looks like Pat Kane playing defense with the puck on his stick. Will take some adjusting to reduce his tendency to freelance. Way ahead of Krug and Barrie at the same age he just toys with opponents

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I feel like people never give Torrey Krug enough credit - saying that's Hughes' upside certainly isn't an insult. Other than Karlsson (.85) and Letang (0.73), Krug's 127 points in 177 games over the past three years, or 0.72 points-per-game, is the best among NHL Defenders 6'1 and under over the past three years.

That's a damn good asset, and despite his shortcomings defensively, Krug absolutely produces like a #1. I would be thrilled if Hughes hit those numbers, especially if his otherworldly skating gives him a bit of an advantage over Krug on the defensive side of the puck.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For all his points, Hughes is getting ventilated defensively in the NCAA and will be the tiniest defender in the NHL.

Unless something changes drastically, the notion that he’ll be a 25+ minute all-situations #1 defender is pie in the sky.

In today’s game, smallish players with his sort of skillset pretty much always plateau as 50-60 point 2nd pairing, high o-zone start guys with big PP numbers. And that is far and away the most likely outcome for Hughes as well.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
For all his points, Hughes is getting ventilated defensively in the NCAA and will be the tiniest defender in the NHL.

Unless something changes drastically, the notion that he’ll be a 25+ minute all-situations #1 defender is pie in the sky.

In today’s game, smallish players with his sort of skillset pretty much always plateau as 50-60 point 2nd pairing, high o-zone start guys with big PP numbers. And that is far and away the most likely outcome for Hughes as well.

Yeah, I'm hoping we get updated measurements for him from the World Juniors - I'd like to see exactly how small he really is. And I know it's ridiculously unlikely, but he's still so damn babyfaced that I can't help but wonder if he's got a late growth spurt coming. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Why aren't Palmu and Gadjovich playing instead of Utica career ahlers over 24 year olds. When they do play, do they get more than 12 minutes a game at least? Do they play with linemates who aren't useless? Are they only playing on a third/fourth line defensive role? What good are prospects if they are not put in a position to succeed. If Palmu isn't even playing in half the games at least loan him to his Liiga team.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why aren't Palmu and Gadjovich playing instead of Utica career ahlers over 24 year olds. When they do play, do they get more than 12 minutes a game at least? Do they play with linemates who aren't useless? Are they only playing on a third/fourth line defensive role? What good are prospects if they are not put in a position to succeed. If Palmu isn't even playing in half the games at least loan him to his Liiga team.

Palmu back with TPS for rest of the season. I wonder if this is a loan of some sorts or just contract termination?

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Wed Dec 12

AHL

Providence 2 Utica 5
Demko 31 saves on 33 shots

Colton Saucerman (1) ASST: Jagger Dirk (1), Brendan Gaunce (2)
Reid Boucher (13) ASST: Jaime Sifers (4), Jesse Graham (6)
Reid Boucher (14) ASST: Lukas Jasek (7)
Zack MacEwen (12) ASST: Jaime Sifers (5), Brendan Gaunce (3)
Darren Archibald (7) ASST: Reid Boucher (10) (EN)

I don't know about you, but I expected Saucerman to be more of a passer...

ECHL

Kalamazoo 4 Brampton 2
Kulbakov 30 saves on 32 shots

S_C

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I don't like that move for Palmus chances of making the NHL. He needs to become accustomed to the NA game.

Going from 0% to 0% means nothing was lost. His AHL play showed he will never get there. It was the right idea to sign him, but it was always a long shot, and you'd have hoped the shot would have lasted longer than it did.

Reactions: lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

They (and Lind) aren’t playing because they suck, can’t skate, and are liabilities. Based on merit, all would be in the ECHL. The organization is already doing them a favour by dressing them at all.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
They (and Lind) aren’t playing because they suck, can’t skate, and are liabilities. Based on merit, all would be in the ECHL. The organization is already doing them a favour by dressing them at all.

they've only played 12. Give them some f*** ing time for crying out loud. Not all 20 year olds will burst out of the gate on fire guns a blazin.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

I think where you're making a mistake is that there is no one in the NHL with his "sort of skillset". He needs to improve his shot (maybe by a lot), but no one else can do some of the things he can do on his skates.

Also he isn't getting ventilated defensively, he's their best defender and dominates possession by taking the puck away from the other team. What he does do is take risks and get burned once in a while. In the NHL I think he'd benefit from not having to do so much on his own; Michigan really only has 1 line that can generate anything.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Honestly they should have just sent all three of Lind, Gadjovich, and Palmu back to the leagues they played in last year when it became evident they weren't ready at the start of the year. Instead they got dragged along playing inconsistent minutes and having their confidence crushed

Reactions: PM

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Honestly they should have just sent all three of Lind, Gadjovich, and Palmu back to the leagues they played in last year when it became evident they weren't ready at the start of the year. Instead they got dragged along playing inconsistent minutes and having their confidence crushed

Prospects also need to take that next step. A guy like Gadjovich does not need more time in the OHL. That would not help his development at all. He is a man amongst boys there and just uses his size for goals. If he is ever going to be a player he needs to progress in the AHL. You can't baby every prospect even though people think that's how it should work

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
they've only played 12. Give them some **** ing time for crying out loud. Not all 20 year olds will burst out of the gate on fire guns a blazin.

The ones that don’t generally never make it.

Lind has literally been the worst player on the ice in his last few games. He simply can’t keep up to the speed of the play and is a liability whenever he’s out there. The notion that he should be playing higher up in the lineup is frankly absurd.

Gadjovich is barely getting by as a 4th liner.

Palmu at 5-6 needed to come in and blow the doors off. He didn’t and was awful. He’s finished as a prospect.

I think where you're making a mistake is that there is no one in the NHL with his "sort of skillset". He needs to improve his shot (maybe by a lot), but no one else can do some of the things he can do on his skates.

Also he isn't getting ventilated defensively, he's their best defender and dominates possession by taking the puck away from the other team. What he does do is take risks and get burned once in a while. In the NHL I think he'd benefit from not having to do so much on his own; Michigan really only has 1 line that can generate anything.

He’s on the ice for a ton of goals against. There are literally zero signs at this point that this tiny player will somehow turn into a defensive beast.

Hughes carries the puck blueline to blueline incredibly well but otherwise his passing/shooting ability isn’t unique.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hope GM Johnson and JB have something up their sleeves. While Palmu was improving slightly he wasn't AHL material, but his absence will leave the Comets even more shorthanded. This has been Benning's MO since Henning left 4 years ago. He removes players permanently from the roster and returns none. We are not talking about call-ups. We are talking about erasing them from existence. This kind of move should indicate a need for replacing said players. He has not done such.

Last season Dahlen and Rodin returned home after assignment to the Comets and Subban and Holm were traded. 4 players lost, no one acquired by the Canucks to replace them.

28 games into this season and Carcone is traded and Palmu returned to Finland. No indication of replacing them has been mentioned.

Last night the Comets played with no extra D-men and Gadjovich was the only extra forward.

Looks like the 2018-19 PTO parade is about to get underway once again just like last season. It's the shopping season anyways so time for Pat Conacher to put on his Santa gear.

So far:
Tony Cameranesi
Colton Saucerman
Alex Kile
Connor LaCouvee

and the Zoo stashes:
Ivan Kulbakov
Reid Gardiner
Brandon Anselmini
Jagger Dirk

This number should grow quickly if the current injured list doesn't shrink. Blujus is the only day to day D-man and Woods is the only day to day forward.

Don't know how long Cull can afford to carry just 7 defenders (# when Blujus returns) and 13 forwards, 14 when Woods comes back. This isn't the NHL where a call-up is a phone call away. You need a group of ready to go reserves that have been practicing with the team and getting to know the systems and familiarizing themselves with the players they will be asked to play with.

Last edited:

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

I know we are all excited, but I have questions too.

I love QH skill set, but I want to see him try and defend in this league and find out just how much he has to be sheltered before I will be convinced we have a star on defence. Like there was with EP (he answered them), there are significant questions with QH; which is why, with his IQ, skating, and skill he wasn't a top 3 pick. If he was 6' + and capable of playing all types of minutes, with his tools, he could have been number 2 in the draft.

I actually agree with your questions and I don't think it is being negative- just realistic. We can be excited and hopeful, but still know we have to wait to find out how he will adapt. He will need to be protected, in my view, but I thought the same of EP.

One problem with even your description is that he can't shoot the puck. A skilled PP guy who has to skate or pass the puck and can't be a threat with his shot might be interesting but may not be dominant on the PP. He will help entries and the set up for sure, but producing from there might not be what we all hope.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I suppose he might go test the waters, and come back to the Canucks and say, here's what others are offering, here's what I'll sign for. Maybe someone will throw a 6 yr $6M contract at him. He's a decent steady defenseman. If I were the canucks I'd offer an annual $3.5 M contract with NMC. Tell him they will keep offering them pretty much as long as he wants. He has stated that he does not want to move. He'd be a bargain at $3.5 M I believe.

I think Hamhuis' 2016 signing with Dallas is a good indicator. Was the same age then as Edler will be next summer, and a comparable player. Hamhuis got a two-year deal at $3.75M per season. Allowing for three years of cap growth, signing Edler at $4M-$4.2M per for two years seems fair.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

They did the right thing by returning Palmu. Sending overagers such as Lind and Gadjovich back to junior after they've already signed ELC's and played, not going to happen.

Kole Lind, ouch. Kole Kassels so far. I didn't see that coming. Thought he would probably land in the Shinkaruk-Boucher range but with a genuine chance to be a legit NHLer if he could improve his skating and defensive play. Instead he has been almost totally overwhelmed to-date at the AHL level.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
they've only played 12. Give them some **** ing time for crying out loud. Not all 20 year olds will burst out of the gate on fire guns a blazin.
No f***ing kidding. Like, there's being objective and critical, and then there's going way over the top for the sake of being miserable about anything associated with this organization.

Admittedly, it's been a pretty miserable start at the pro level for some of these kids but still, give them time.

Reactions: Nomobo

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
They did the right thing by returning Palmu. Sending overagers such as Lind and Gadjovich back to junior after they've already signed ELC's and played, not going to happen.

Kole Lind, ouch. Kole Kassels so far. I didn't see that coming. Thought he would probably land in the Shinkaruk-Boucher range but with a genuine chance to be a legit NHLer if he could improve his skating and defensive play. Instead he has been almost totally overwhelmed to-date at the AHL level.
He's been injured....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad