Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Having 3 points in 3 games after making the team out of camp is not "taking the bull by the horns" now?

I don't really get what more they wanted to see.

He has more goals in 3 games than Schaller has all season (36 games). He isn't the same player he was 3 years ago when he first got NHL ice, not even close. Just the exact same as Jay Beagle was a nothing bum at 23/24 and carved out 500+ games because the team he was understood the value in homegrown cheap depth. This regime doesn't get that.

That line of Eriksson-Beagle-Schaller last night is an $11m 4th line.

I'm hopeful for Gaunce, maybe not this year, but next year, after this really good season in Utica they'll see the need for a player of this ilk and he'll be cheap which hopefully will be important because the hopefully the team will choose to invest bigger $$ on the real difference makers in the lineup not the 4th line or bottom 6 of whatever label you want to use.

Schaller is a press box tenant. Why do people bring him up ? You really want Gaunce to take his spot and play once a month ?

Gaunce is exactly where he needs to be in the AHL. He needs to improve alot of things in his game. He needs more explosion and pace.

Playing in the 4th line here isn't going to develop anything for him.

Even Zack Macewan has surpassed Gaince.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Schaller is a press box tenant. Why do people bring him up ? You really want Gaunce to take his spot and play once a month ?

Gaunce is exactly where he needs to be in the AHL. He needs to improve alot of things in his game. He needs more explosion and pace.

Playing in the 4th line here isn't going to develop anything for him.

Even Zack Macewan has surpassed Gaince.
MacEwan isn't better at hockey than Gaunce at the end of the day. The team is giving him a look because they don't value what Gaunce does anymore, but read the Utica threads, Gaunce is a more impactful player down there.

My team next year has spots for both of these guys anyways.

Put them both on the 4th line with Beagle, like Chiasson and Smith-Pelly. Let them work the puck down low and grind. That would be a sub $5m 4th line as opposed to an $11m 4th line.

People bring up Schaller because he's gotten into 36 games this season and has had tons of opportunity when he's a considerably less talented player, isn't any more physical.

Again, Gaunce scored 3 points in 23 minutes this season and then he got banished to the pressbox and then Utica. He wasn't afforded the same opportunity. That's why Schaller is mentioned. I think Gaunce would have easily doubled Schaller's point totals in 36 games, hell all he'd have needed was 2 more points over 33 games to tie him.

A player like Motte isn't really effective when you look at the numbers, but people see 7 goals (only 5 on goalies) and think he's miles better because he looks like he's giving max effort. He's not good. I'd prefer Gaunce over him too. I think Gaunce's totals would be similar, but I'd imagine the goals for would be much closer to 50% with BG over TM.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
MacEwan isn't better at hockey than Gaunce at the end of the day. The team is giving him a look because they don't value what Gaunce does anymore, but read the Utica threads, Gaunce is a more impactful player down there.

Put them both on the 4th line with Beagle, like Chiasson and Smith-Pelly. Let them work the puck down low and grind. That would be a sub $5m 4th line as opposed to an $11m 4th line.

People bring up Schaller because he's gotten into 36 games this season and has had tons of opportunity when he's a considerably less talented player, isn't any more physical.

Again, Gaunce scored 3 points in 23 minutes this season and then he got banished to the pressbox and then Utica. He wasn't afforded the same opportunity. That's why Schaller is mentioned. I think Gaunce would have easily doubled Schaller's point totals in 36 games, hell all he'd have needed was 2 more points over 33 games to tie him.

A player like Motte isn't really effective when you look at the numbers, but people see 7 goals (only 5 on goalies) and think he's miles better because he looks like he's giving max effort. He's not good. I'd prefer Gaunce over him too. I think Gaunce's totals would be similar, but I'd imagine the goals for would be much closer to 50% with BG over TM.

Why do you continue to hide behind this veil of evaluating players based on perception.

"Motte looks like he is skating fast so everyone thinks he's productive "..

You insult the intelligence of someone like Green when you say they can't tell the difference.

Gaunce had a MASSIVE giveaway early on. Any coach would bench him and lose trust in him.

When Gaunce was cut by Sutter at WJC, Sutter gave a very candid evaluation of Gaunce.... and how did Gaunce reply...

' I dont waste energy and skate around hitting people to make it look like I'm hitting people' ..

What kind of response is that ??

And it shows...he's done nothing. He doesn't want to change his game and adapt so he can make a living as a bottom 6 player.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gaunce-Beagle-MacEwen would be a cool fourth line to have.

There's lots of report going around that Gadjovich is dealing with an Injury all season long that has hindered him.

If Gaunce isn't careful, Gadjovich will also surpass him on the depth chart

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Why do you continue to hide behind this veil of evaluating players based on perception.

"Motte looks like he is skating fast so everyone thinks he's productive "..

You insult the intelligence of someone like Green when you say they can't tell the difference.

Gaunce had a MASSIVE giveaway early on. Any coach would bench him and lose trust in him.

When Gaunce was cut by Sutter at WJC, Sutter gave a very candid evaluation of Gaunce.... and how did Gaunce reply...

' I dont waste energy and skate around hitting people to make it look like I'm hitting people' ..

What kind of response is that ??

And it shows...he's done nothing. He doesn't want to change his game and adapt so he can make a living as a bottom 6 player.
What veil am I hiding behind. Green isn't infallible, everyone who supports this team knew 2 years ago Hutton was good, but playing him with Guddy tanked his game, yet good old TG put them together for half this season to dreadful results. So sorry if you think this is thinly veiled criticism, but I'm not appealing to Travis' authority. Coaches make stupid decisions all the time.

You and I just won't see eye to eye, especially if you're going to bring up a singular giveaway or make mention of a world junior camp from 6/7 years ago.

Content to move on. You and I just see the game differently, nothing wrong with that. Cheers.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There's lots of report going around that Gadjovich is dealing with an Injury all season long that has hindered him.

If Gaunce isn't careful, Gadjovich will also surpass him on the depth chart
Now I know you're not paying attention to anything and pulling stuff from you butt, but keep on keepin' on.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gadjovich is nowhere close to the NHL lmao do you even follow our prospects?

Where did I say Gadjo is close ?

All I said is if Gaunce doesn't improve Gadjo will surpass him in a bottom 6 role as he is more suitable than Gaunce. This could be in 2-3 yrs

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Gaunce-Beagle-MacEwen would be a cool fourth line to have.

I'd rather see MacEwen in a position to put up points. I think this would be a pretty interesting starting lineup next season, with MacEwen and one other young winger taking up the 2RW and 3RW. (See what kind of deals you could get for Joseph/Tanev/ZAR/Donskoi/Johnsson/Hyman/Vrana).

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Roussel-Horvat-x
Eriksson-Gaudette-x
Gaunce-Beagle-Virtanen (Kinda concerned about his development here but give him a shit ton of 3on3 and 4on4 time)

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I'd rather see MacEwen in a position to put up points. I think this would be a pretty interesting starting lineup next season, with MacEwen and one other young winger taking up the 2RW and 3RW. (See what kind of deals you could get for Joseph/Tanev/ZAR/Donskoi/Johnsson/Hyman/Vrana).

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Roussel-Horvat-x
Eriksson-Gaudette-x
Gaunce-Beagle-Virtanen (Kinda concerned about his development here but give him a **** ton of 3on3 and 4on4 time)

What happened to Baertschi Spooner Sutter Granlund

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
What happened to Baertschi Spooner Sutter Granlund

Granlund is terrible, Baertschi will never play again, Spooner is most likely terrible.

I don't "hate" Sutter per se but I'm not sure he really fits in with this team in the future and I'd definitely gauge the market for him.

With the way the league is going, having both Beagle and Sutter is very redundant and makes your team structure questionable.

Reactions: Canadian Club

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Granlund is terrible, Baertschi will never play again, Spooner is most likely terrible.

I don't "hate" Sutter per se but I'm not sure he really fits in with this team in the future and I'd definitely gauge the market for him.

With the way the league is going, having both Beagle and Sutter is very redundant and makes your team structure questionable.

Yep not a fan of any of those players as well but I think its unrealistic to get rid of them all in 1 summer.

My 4 Cs are Ep40 Horvat Gaudette Beagle

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Roussel-Horvat-x
Eriksson-Gaudette-x
Gaunce-Beagle-Virtanen (Kinda concerned about his development here but give him a **** ton of 3on3 and 4on4 time)
MacEwan doesn't really project beyond 3rd liner at his peak, there is no problem with using him on a 4th line in his first full season.

He's not Todd Bertuzzi.

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
MacEwan doesn't really project beyond 3rd liner at his peak, there is no problem with using him on a 4th line in his first full season.

He's not Todd Bertuzzi.

He's the most offensively gifted player in Utica and in terms of sheer talent he might be one of the best players in the entire organization. Playing him with >60% d-zone starts with Jay f***ing Beagle as his center isn't putting a prospect in a position to succeed.

Yep not a fan of any of those players as well but I think its unrealistic to get rid of them all in 1 summer.

My 4 Cs are Ep40 Horvat Gaudette Beagle

Why? Spooner has already been waived in the past year. There was noted interest in Sutter last season and Granlund is just a generic 13th forward.

Reactions: MS

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Agree to disagree on MacEwen, the team plans on being better next year, you're not doing that with MacEwen elevated in your lineup. Players break into the league on 4th lines all the time.

I don't see this massive amount of sheer talent either, he's raw with some skill and speed, god, we're desperate for nice things aren't we.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Artyom Manukyan had an assist today in Avangard's 7-3 victory. That's his first point in what seems like forever.

His state line to date: 63 games played, 3/12/15. Interestingly, he had over fifteen minutes of ice-time today, about triple what Coach Bob Hartley has been giving him in recent weeks.

Tryamkin had two assists in a 5-1 Avtomobilist win. He led the team in ice-time with about 23 minutes, and in shots with 6.

Season stats: 41 gp: 3/8/11

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seriously. If Beagle, Schaller and Sutter were swapped out for MacEwen, Gaunce and Gaudette, would the Canucks really be any worse? Well for one, thing they'd be saving close to $8m in cap space.

And I for one, think the team might actually be 'better' in both the short and long term. Normally swapping out veterans for younger, cheaper guys would be good thing. It proves your younger players are developing.

Unfortunately, thanks to the ridiculous contracts doled by Jimbo, none of these veterans are tradeable.

Reactions: wetcoast

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Seriously. If Beagle, Schaller and Sutter were swapped out for MacEwen, Gaunce and Gaudette, would the Canucks really be any worse? Well for one, thing they'd be saving close to $8m in cap space.

And I for one, think the team might actually be 'better' in both the short and long term. Normally swapping out veterans for younger, cheaper guys would be good thing. It proves your younger players are developing.

Unfortunately, thanks to the ridiculous contracts doled by Jimbo, none of these veterans are tradeable.
We would be a lot worse unless Gaudette and Gaunce can kill penalties and be trusted nursing a 1 goal lead. I"m not sure i want Gaudette doing this until he bulks up a bit too....At 175-180 lbs he needs to get some more meat on those bones

I can see the argument though....Sutter is always hurt or recovering from being hurt. Beagle has already missed a bunch and Schaller is the worst Canuck since Victor Oreskovich. and like you say bad contracts.

People need to slow the roll on MacEwen....kid is horrible positionally.....he needs some time. With those hands speed and size he will make an impact of some sort though....patience

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

The other side of the coin is if Guadette and McEwan start the season with the Canucks, do they still get to work on developing their 2 way game? Not if they are getting Beagle/Sutter deployment.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004

They would be categorically better. Why? Because even if they are marginally worse on the bottom half of the roster, 8 million in cap space means another first or second line player (or high-end defenceman) in free agency and that difference more than offsets what’s happening on the fourth line. Realistically, those dollars add a player that bumps guys like Virtanen and Leivo down the lineup where they get more favourable matchups. 8 million is more than the difference in salary between replacing an injured Sven Baertschi with a Mark Stone, which then means Virtanen slides down and replaces a guy like Motte or Granlund.

I’d say it’s a no-brainer, but, well...

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I think you might be underestimating how much Stone is going to be paid and think they’d use that KL eye on the second tier of Free agents which I would want signed to a long term contract. But I get the premise though.

I think if you swap out those three for MacEwan, Gaunce and Gaudette you’ll have to deal with a lot more mistakes on defensive details and on the pk, the sort where you sit there and wonder how the hell the guy was all alone in the slot. But you would gain on some excitement and maybe offensive upside. Gaudette and MacEwan have a ways to go before they are considered reliable in pressure situations.

Also, I don’t really see MacEwan as hugely offensively gifted, certainly not one of the most talented players in the organisation at this point. I think realistically he’s a bottom 6 winger with some upside to maybe be a top 6 winger if his rate of improvement continues as it has the last 2 years.

Anyway, I think he’s exactly the sort of player on cheap contracts they should be churning out of Utica from lower round picks and FA signings to round out the bottom of the roster. And perhaps he does prove he is more, a la Ferland, Brouwer or even a Lucic type if I’m wrong.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
He's the most offensively gifted player in Utica and in terms of sheer talent he might be one of the best players in the entire organization. ...

What is the basis for calling him the most offensively gifted player in Utica? I'm guessing it is a subjective impression.

I'd have thought him clearly behind Boucher, not only now but when Boucher was the same age. I also would have said that right now his offensive abilities are more in the Kero/Gaunce range.

MacEwen is averaging 0.857 ppg in the AHL at the age of 22. Boucher at age 22 averaged 0.941 ppg in 34 games in the AHL almost .5 ppg in the NHL. When he was aged 21 (so younger than MacEwen is now) Gaunce averaged 0.826 ppg in Utica, though the team was better that season. You can't really compare MacEwen to Gaunce's age 22 season as Gaunce spent that season in the NHL except for a 4 game stint.

MacEwen is well ahead of where Kero was at age 22, but his scoring in ppg is a little lower than Kero's this season.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Feb 22

AHL

Rochester 4 Utica 3 (OT)
Kulbakov 32 saves on 36 shots

Tanner Kero (21) ASST: Reid Boucher (26)
Reid Gardiner (1) ASST: None
Guillaume Brisebois (3) ASST: Kyle Thomas (1), Vincent Arseneau (1)

USHL

Cedar Rapids 4 Dubuque 3
Thiessen 3 saves on 6 shots (pulled after the 1st period)

NCAA

Ohio State 2 Michigan 4
Hughes 1 goal (5th), 1 assist, even
Lockwood 1 assist, even

Northeastern 6 New Hampshire 3
Madden 1 assist, even

Brown 2 Harvard 4
Rathbone 1 assist, +2

OHL

Ottawa 2 Kingston 3
DiPietro 10 saves on 13 shots

North Bay 2 Sarnia 6
Eliot 0 points, +2

WHL

Moose Jaw 4 Swift Current 2
Woo 1 assist, +1

S_C

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

MacEwen has absolutely more upside and skill than Gaunce. Bigger, tougher, better skater, better stick handler, more skill, more compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad