Prospect Info: 2019 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Brendan Gunce?? Really

The time he scored 1 goal in a span of 82 games wasn't enough of a player assessment for people?

He is a fine AHL player but so is Reid Boucher.

He Is simply too slow and not skilled enough to be anything in the NHL.

As much as we rag on someone even like Schaller, Schaller Is 10x a better NHLer than Gaunce.

To say that we should trade Sutter/Beagle and Gaunce can take over that spot and we wouldn't miss a beat is just being clueless about the difference in level of play between AHLers and NHLers.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Brendan Gunce?? Really

The time he scored 1 goal in a span of 82 games wasn't enough of a player assessment for people?

As much as we rag on someone even like Schaller, Schaller Is 10x a better NHLer than Gaunce.

To say that we should trade Sutter/Beagle and Gaunce can take over that spot and we wouldn't miss a beat is just being clueless about the difference in level of play between AHLers and NHLers.

Gaunce has 3 pts in the 2 games the Canucks gave him this year and looked fine.

Schaller is not 10x better, just a ridiculous statement. Schaller has brought absolutey nothing to this team, even being given an extended run with Horvat to start the season. Most of us never want to see him on the ice here again.

Another really poor signing chalked up to Benning and his pro scouting.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Schaller is not 10x better, just a ridiculous statement. Schaller has brought absolutey nothing to this team, even being given an extended run with Horvat to start the season. Most of us never want to see him on the ice here again.

Schaller is a better bottom 6 player than Gaunce ...which isn't saying much because Gaunce is terrible but I think we under estimate some of our lower players in the NHL....but tend to overestimate some of lower players in the AHL.

Schaller sucks yes... but he can skate ..plays gritty and has had a double digit goal season. Gaunce Is non of those things and will never ever be one of those things.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Brendan Gunce?? Really

Clueless

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Schaller is a better bottom 6 player than Gaunce ...which isn't saying much because Gaunce is terrible but I think we under estimate some of our lower players in the NHL....but tend to overestimate some of lower players in the AHL.

Schaller sucks yes... but he can skate ..plays gritty and has had a double digit goal season. Gaunce Is non of those things and will never ever be one of those things.

Lol when have you seen Schaller play “gritty” ?

He is always behind the play. MacEwen is already better in that role with better skating, hands and upside.

There is no place for Schaller on this team when healthy. Good thing is that Green is realizing it even if you don’t.

Reactions: Zephyrr

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lol when have you seen Schaller play “gritty” ?

He is always behind the play. MacEwen is already better in that role with better skating, hands and upside.

There is no place for Schaller on this team when healthy. Good thing is that Green is realizing it even if you don’t.

I'm fully on the Schaller sucks train. I just think Gaunce is just as bad even worse.

Gaunce skates like he left his skate guards on.

How many coaches has he had a fresh start with and has had an opportunity to force himself in the lineup?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I just think Gaunce is the very definition of a tweener.

Nowhere near skilled enough to be in a top 6 role...

But also too slow and not physical to be in a bottom 6 role.

Not to say he can't improve on those things but at 24 I still haven't seen it.

If you want him to be called up and take over Schallers spot on the press box then I'm totally fine w that.

But to say he can play Sutter Gaudette or Beagles role is 100% wrong

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

He was benched in his 2nd game with give away at blue line that led to opposition goal. After he was sent to minors. So yes he has points but coach even with that benched him. That said I would not mind him as replacement below MacEwan. MacEwan is better suited as energy guy and has shown progression which Gaunce has not.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
None of these guys (Gaunce, Schaller, Granlund) are NHL players on a good team.

Gaunce will be 25 in a few weeks and been exposed to waivers & an expansion draft. His claim to fame in the NHL was as a defensively responsible winger which isn't enough to keep you in the league, like it would be for a defensively responsible center. He was noticeably outplayed by a career AHLer in Archibald last year when Archibald was given the exact same role.

If you want to say he's better than Schaller, Granlund or Eriksson.. I'm not arguing that. They are all in the same basket for me and won't be around if/when this team is good.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Will be difficult to understand if MacEwen continues to be stapled to the bench (or is sent down) and not given a reasonable chance while fellow RW Motte is effectively guaranteed a lineup spot and 15 minutes. I'm struck by how much less frequently Motte's name comes up compared to several others when discussing low performing forwards-- he is quite arguably the worst of those who are regularly in the lineup. By almost every measurement the team is getting buried when he is on the ice. Fast skater but otherwise unskilled and also poor in terms of positioning and awareness.

Reactions: wetcoast

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I would love to see Brendan Gaunce given another opportunity this year. His camp sucked, but it seems like he's had a good season.
Maybe it's just because he's playing in the AHL but he seems to have gained a step this year...looks a little leaner too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm fully on the Schaller sucks train. I just think Gaunce is just as bad even worse.

Gaunce skates like he left his skate guards on.

How many coaches has he had a fresh start with and has had an opportunity to force himself in the lineup?

Gaunce is probably the best skater in Utica right now and is getting 1-2 breakaways/breaks down the wing around the defender in every game.

His skating has improved *a ton* and he’s a better skater than guys like Schaller and Granlund and just comically better by a ridiculous margin than Schaller at every aspect of playing hockey.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
None of these guys (Gaunce, Schaller, Granlund) are NHL players on a good team.

Gaunce will be 25 in a few weeks and been exposed to waivers & an expansion draft. His claim to fame in the NHL was as a defensively responsible winger which isn't enough to keep you in the league, like it would be for a defensively responsible center. He was noticeably outplayed by a career AHLer in Archibald last year when Archibald was given the exact same role.

If you want to say he's better than Schaller, Granlund or Eriksson.. I'm not arguing that. They are all in the same basket for me and won't be around if/when this team is good.
Agreed,..best case scenario would be to have home grown role players such as Gaudette,Madden,Lockwood,McEwan take the next step.

Probably time to move Gaunce to another organization,or groom him to have a bigger leadership role on the Comets..I dont think that Granlund will be re-signed (will most likely sign on for minimum wage with another NHL club thats really up against the cap).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Dahlen is not playing to the potential he was supposed to have..

Pettersson was the toast of the SHL, Sweden's top league. He came to North America and is the toast of the NHL, North America's top league.

Dahlen was the toast of the Allsvenskan, Sweden's version of the AHL. He came to North America and is not comparably a figment of that previous player. He is far from the toast of the AHL. He was expected to be one of the AHL's top rookies and he is not. Yes, he has points, but he has recorded most of his points on the backs of other players' labor and has failed to respond in kind. feeding a pass back to the open point or across to an open Boucher and getting a point from the goal that ensues is not stellar play. One on one he loses practically ever battle.

Orcatown's opinions vary widely with Comets posters and how about MS? Dahlen shows a flash of good hockey stuff and then disappears until the next period or you even have to wait until the next period after that and sometimes it's the next game. He shows less perimeter play, but when he senses physicality he tosses away the puck or shies away from the possible collision. You already have Goldobin who put up much better numbers in Utica, 35/Pts/33 GP to Dahlen's 31Pts in 52GP. However, Goldy played that same type of perimeter game and only went into the hard areas when the chances were good he could avoid contact. That's a complaint I still hear about him in the NHL. Both are weak defensively with an occasional very good backcheck, but not so good at playing their check when he has the puck in their end and often weak following through on passes to them on the sideboards. Green would go nuts on this kid if he played the same way up there.

At the end of all this opinions are like rectal openings, everyone has one. I like to think ours are factual eyesight observations. Take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: wetcoast

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Brendan Gunce?? Really

You had me until you mentioned Schaller. Honestly this guy is the biggest waste of a roster spot as he does absolutely NOTHING.

Gaunce isn’t more than a 4th or 3rd liner at best, but he at least brings something, like being dependable in his own zone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I was OK with your analysis until you got to the part that Schaller "can skate, and plays gritty". He might be one of the worst skaters I've seen plying his trade in the NHL. And gritty? Just not seeing it. Of course you can't hit what you can't catch up to. So maybe that's why the guy is so ineffective on the forecheck.

He can't even get into the lineup with the Canucks decimated by injury. They'd rather go with rookie MacEwen and a pickup like Spooner. How this guy scored 12 goals in Boston last year is one of the mysteries of the hockey universe.

And Gaunce is far more versatile. Can play either wing and slide into center to take faceoffs. I really hope he gets another serious shot in VanCity.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Dahlen is not playing to the potential he was supposed to have..

Pettersson was the toast of the SHL, Sweden's top league. He came to North America and is the toast of the NHL, North America's top league.

Dahlen was the toast of the Allsvenskan, Sweden's version of the AHL. He came to North America and is not comparably a figment of that previous player. He is far from the toast of the AHL. He was expected to be one of the AHL's top rookies and he is not. Yes, he has points, but he has recorded most of his points on the backs of other players' labor and has failed to respond in kind. feeding a pass back to the open point or across to an open Boucher and getting a point from the goal that ensues is not stellar play. One on one he loses practically ever battle.

Orcatown's opinions vary widely with Comets posters and how about MS? Dahlen shows a flash of good hockey stuff and then disappears until the next period or you even have to wait until the next period after that and sometimes it's the next game. He shows less perimeter play, but when he senses physicality he tosses away the puck or shies away from the possible collision. You already have Goldobin who put up much better numbers in Utica, 35/Pts/33 GP to Dahlen's 31Pts in 52GP. However, Goldy played that same type of perimeter game and only went into the hard areas when the chances were good he could avoid contact. That's a complaint I still hear about him in the NHL. Both are weak defensively with an occasional very good backcheck, but not so good at playing their check when he has the puck in their end and often weak following through on passes to them on the sideboards. Green would go nuts on this kid if he played the same way up there.

At the end of all this opinions are like rectal openings, everyone has one. I like to think ours are factual eyesight observations. Take it for what it's worth.

Yes but sometimes players have a different development curve and if you look at Dahlen the last few weeks he has 6 points in his last 7 games and is really starting to pick it up.

Dahlen will have a solid NHL Career as a 50-60 point player anything more than that will be an absolute bonus. I’m sure we all want Dahlen to be tearing it up right now but the NHL and North American Ice surfaces are very different and unless your Rasmus Dahlin , Elias Pettersson , Patrik Laine etc adjusting to the North American game takes time and Dahlen is starting to come along very nicely and he has played with Elias Pettersson so that’s only going to benefit him In the NHL, and even if he doesn’t put up the most spectacular AHL numbers Dahlen is still going to have a spectacular NHL Career

Look at Jake Debrusk for example, he only had 49 points in 70 games in his one and only AHL season and he turned out to be ok . Alex Tuch only had 37 points in 57 AHL games in his only AHL season and both of them have turned out to be and Dahlen can skate better then both of them.

I am very excited to see Dahlen play with us next season

Reactions: Nomobo

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Both , I still wouldn’t recall him this season except for the final 4 games of the season or something like that . He needs to spend the entire season in the minors and keep improving his game and go through a playoff run with the comets then next season we can recall him and keep him up here for good .

But yes from a point standpoint he is really starting to put it together

In order to play in the AHL playoffs he would have to be on an emergency call-up. At least that's how I read it.
Is it your preference to have him inVancouver for 4 games and be ineligible for the AHL playoffs?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yes but sometimes players have a different development curve and if you look at Dahlen the last few weeks he has 6 points in his last 7 games and is really starting to pick it up.

Dahlen will have a solid NHL Career as a 50-60 point player anything more than that will be an absolute bonus. I’m sure we all want Dahlen to be tearing it up right now but the NHL and North American Ice surfaces are very different and unless your Rasmus Dahlin , Elias Pettersson , Patrik Laine etc adjusting to the North American game takes time and Dahlen is starting to come along very nicely and he has played with Elias Pettersson so that’s only going to benefit him In the NHL, and even if he doesn’t put up the most spectacular AHL numbers Dahlen is still going to have a spectacular NHL Career

Look at Jake Debrusk for example, he only had 49 points in 70 games in his one and only AHL season and he turned out to be ok . Alex Tuch only had 37 points in 57 AHL games in his only AHL season and both of them have turned out to be and Dahlen can skate better then both of them.

It's not the ice that's holding him back it's nerve. He still will not vigorously engage in any board battles or even avoids mid ice contact. His idea of a fore check, back check, or playing his man in the D-zone is to poke or wave his stick on the ice a couple feet away from the guy. He will kind of bump into a board battle if one of his guys is also in on it and doing the most physical work. Again his assists are when he is all alone and has the time to see the ice most often on a PP or odd man rushes when no one can come at him. He will now go one on one vs a defender, but does not try to beat him , but just shoots around him. He charges the net in the same kind of situations again usually on the PP. Green will not deal with his timidity no matter how he tries to disguise it.

I am all in on this guy making it in the NHL as I am with any player who dons a Comets jersey, but I also see the flaws that will hinder any player's process and sadly those that show the talent just isn't there. Dahlen has the innate talent, but his will to fix what holds him back is only slowly evolving. The hit that caused his concussion has hindered his will to get involved. He can't have a career playing on the perimeter and fringes of the action. He either learns how to avoid physicality while in tight situations and how to navigate through traffic or he's not going to make it. He can only play top 6 and that will get him the toughest matchups.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Dahlen is a far, far worse skater than those guys. Like not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad