Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gud
Juolevi-Tryamkin??

If we can do some smart depth signings to add to the group.
That’s a alright defence that can make the playoffs next season with solid goaltending and fire power upfront.
Unless Edler suddenly fall off the cliff, it’s totally manageable.

My example is always Toronto, they have one top 2 D (Reilly), two top 4 (Gardiner and Dermott), two bottom D ( Zaitzev and that Russian dude) and Hainsey who should not be a regular.

Hutton is merging as a top 4 D, Stecher is solid bottom pair guy who can play on 2nd pair if necessary. Tanev is a occasional top 2 D with no offence.
If Hughes can put up 40+ pts each season, then we are absolutely fine until Tanev fall off the cliff. Which you would hope this team will have Tanev’s replacement by the time.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Every fan base over estimates its prospects for the most part. But we also underestimate some. Tanev, Edler and Hutton were probably underrated on here as prospects.
Dare I say even Pettersson. I mean I knew he was going to be pretty good. But this good as a rookie? Same with Horvat and to an extent Boeser.
So there’s a definite tendency overall to overrate but there’s always a few guys who come out of nowhere to surprise like Tanev, Edler and Hutton.
Who will be the next one? It’s hard to predict.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Quinn Hughes just said in an interview that his plan is to sign w. The Canucks as soon as the Michigan season is over.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Planning to see him play in a couple of days. This is one guy we are not overrating.

Absolutely he’s getting overrated, especially in terms of initial impact and overall play.

I would not be surprised at all to see him come in and excel on the PP and score 40 points as a rookie.

I would be extremely surprised if a 5-9 160 lb rookie defender (who will be the smallest defender in the NHL) who is bleeding goals defensively in the NCAA comes in and doesn’t have to be sheltered massively as a rookie. I’d look at Sergachev’s 17-18 season as a reasonable expectation.

I’ve also seen a lot of ‘future Norris winner/superstar’ posts when really he most likely projects more along the lines of Tyson Barrie as a high-scoring 2nd pairing defender.

And Tyson Barrie is a very good player, don’t get me wrong, and a player like that would be a great asset we’ve needed here for as long as anyone can remember. But I’ll believe a guy his size can play top pairing minutes when I actually see it.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Every fan base over estimates its prospects for the most part. But we also underestimate some. Tanev, Edler and Hutton were probably underrated on here as prospects.
Dare I say even Pettersson. I mean I knew he was going to be pretty good. But this good as a rookie? Same with Horvat and to an extent Boeser.
So there’s a definite tendency overall to overrate but there’s always a few guys who come out of nowhere to surprise like Tanev, Edler and Hutton.
Who will be the next one? It’s hard to predict.

Tanev and Hutton were both surprises for the general fanbase for sure, but for those who followed prospects it wasn't a surprise they became NHL'ers.

I remember Tanev had the ridiculous stat where he wasn't on for an even strength goal against for all or most of a season in college. He has always been sublime defensively. Hutton was hyped in these threads as well for his offensive play in college and we had a semi-revolt when he got benched for the AHL playoffs (only to make the NHL the next fall). Edler had a very strong season in the Dub before seamlessly moving to the pro ranks. He was immediately hyped on HF once we saw him in Kelowna.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gud
Juolevi-Tryamkin??

That’s a alright defence that can make the playoffs next season with solid goaltending and fire power upfront.

My example is always Toronto, they have one top 2 D (Reilly), two top 4 (Gardiner and Dermott), two bottom D ( Zaitzev and that Russian dude) and Hainsey who should not be a regular.

Hutton is merging as a top 4 D, Stecher is solid bottom pair guy who can play on 2nd pair if necessary. Tanev is a occasional top 2 D with no offence.
If Hughes can put up 40+ pts each season, then we are absolutely fine until Tanev fall off the cliff. Which you would hope this team will have Tanev’s replacement by the time.
Edler probably won't be back next season. It's doubtful that the contract that Edler gets offered in the summer will make sense for the team. If he waives his NTC and they can get assets at the deadline, great. But I suspect he won't waive and the only way he's back is if he takes a very large hometown discount, which I think is unlikely. That will make for a very young and unproven left side D. Hutton is solid, Hughes will be (but the "when" depends on his development), and Juolevi is in the yet to be determined category.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tanev and Hutton were both surprises for the general fanbase for sure, but for those who followed prospects it wasn't a surprise they became NHL'ers.

I remember Tanev had the ridiculous stat where he wasn't on for an even strength goal against for all or most of a season in college. He has always been sublime defensively. Hutton was hyped in these threads as well for his offensive play in college and we had a semi-revolt when he got benched for the AHL playoffs (only to make the NHL the next fall). Edler had a very strong season in the Dub before seamlessly moving to the pro ranks. He was immediately hyped on HF once we saw him in Kelowna.
Agreed. My main point though is that no one should be too surprised if prospects like Madden and Woo follow a similar path. Both have improved since their draft year.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Edler probably won't be back next season. It's doubtful that the contract that Edler gets offered in the summer will make sense for the team. If he waives his NTC and they can get assets at the deadline, great. But I suspect he won't waive and the only way he's back is if he takes a very large hometown discount, which I think is unlikely. That will make for a very young and unproven left side D. Hutton is solid, Hughes will be (but the "when" depends on his development), and Juolevi is in the yet to be determined category.
I disagree. somewhat. Edler has stated that he is not interested in relocating, and I think he will agree to a mild discount. He gets $5M/yr right now, and I think he would consider $3.5 M on a year to year basis. He has done well financially, and I don't think he really gives a damn about making out like a bandit. I agree with the rest of your statement, though I think Juolevi will at worst be a decent 5 - 6, and most likely a 3 -4 in a couple of years. Can always hope he fills out and becomes a steady top pairing, but that's pretty optimistic.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Absolutely he’s getting overrated, especially in terms of initial impact and overall play.

I would not be surprised at all to see him come in and excel on the PP and score 40 points as a rookie.

I would be extremely surprised if a 5-9 160 lb rookie defender (who will be the smallest defender in the NHL) who is bleeding goals defensively in the NCAA comes in and doesn’t have to be sheltered massively as a rookie. I’d look at Sergachev’s 17-18 season as a reasonable expectation.

I’ve also seen a lot of ‘future Norris winner/superstar’ posts when really he most likely projects more along the lines of Tyson Barrie as a high-scoring 2nd pairing defender.

And Tyson Barrie is a very good player, don’t get me wrong, and a player like that would be a great asset we’ve needed here for as long as anyone can remember. But I’ll believe a guy his size can play top pairing minutes when I actually see it.

I’m so glad to see someone else not get all this Norris/ beat dman ever hype, ive gone on saying I project him as a Ryan Ellis type dman man but Barrie is a great comp also

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

Not that I don't agree with the premise of your post but basically everywhere I've looked indicates that he's around 5'10" 175 which is a somewhat substantial difference and is comparable to Ellis and Spurgeon who are probably the two best all-around "manlet" defenders in the game

But yeah, I have no idea why a 7th overall non-consensus pick, who's basically doing no more or no less than what's expected of him in the NCAA, is considered this home run anchor to the Blueline.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not that I don't agree with the premise of your post but basically everywhere I've looked indicates that he's around 5'10" 175 which is a somewhat substantial difference and is comparable to Ellis and Spurgeon who are probably the two best all-around "manlet" defenders in the game

But yeah, I have no idea why a 7th overall non-consensus pick, who's basically doing no more or no less than what's expected of him in the NCAA, is considered this home run anchor to the Blueline.

Hughes refused to partake in combine testing which would have given a more accurate measurement so I’m taking these 5-10 175 measurements with a grain of salt.

Agreed on the 2nd point. He projects as a Barrie/Krug, and his performance since being drafted has done nothing to change that.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Gud
Juolevi-Tryamkin??

The biggest thing Toronto has that the Canucks dont have is that Reilly is a no 1 d-man. He can carry a guy like Hainsey (who by the way is better Gudbranson & Stetcher) and still make that an effective pair. Hughes might be as good as Reilly one day but he won't be next season. Gardiner is like a better version of Hutton, good underlying stats but makes misstakes that makes people thinks he can't defend, the biggest difference is Gardiner score about 20 pts more / year

Also Toronto has one of the best of not the best forward depths in the league and a goalie in Andersen that can cover up some of their defensive misstakes. The Canucks doesn't have forward depth even close TML which means our defense can't be as bad as theirs. The only reason Toronto isn't a cup favorite is that their defense isnt as good as the other top teams. Teams like Nashville, Tampa, Washington have much better defenses and Im going to guess that that will show this year in the playoffs once again.

Then again Las Vegas went to the cup finals with a bunch of 2nd pair d-men, but they had depth and was playing over their head (and Fleury was fantastic).

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006

do I need to put a sarcasm emoji explicitly on everything??

He will be a better Barrie, a much better Barrie down the line, there would be no immediate impact the likes of which our board anticipates, thats why I am entertaining actually signing Karlsson as bridge and mentor to him. ... otherwise I am against these big ticket signings...

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
If Hughes can become a Krug/Gostisbehere type player that's a great asset for the Canucks to have with how barren this defense corps is at the moment.

But his size and defensive ability is what will hold him back from being a hard minutes top pairing defenseman. So in that sense, he is being overrated by many Canucks fans who are penciling him in as a future Norris winner based on Twitter gifs of him whizzing around the ice.

He's a good prospect, but projecting him to become the savior who will carry the Canucks blue line for the next decade is unrealistic.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
If Hughes can become a Krug/Gostisbehere type player that's a great asset for the Canucks to have with how barren this defense corps is at the moment.

But his size and defensive ability is what will hold him back from being a hard minutes top pairing defenseman. So in that sense, he is being overrated by many Canucks fans who are penciling him in as a future Norris winner based on Twitter gifs of him whizzing around the ice.

He's a good prospect, but projecting him to become the savior who will carry the Canucks blue line for the next decade is unrealistic.

You have absolutely no idea how Hughes will perform at the NHL level, he may very well turn into a 25 min defenceman that plays all situations. So far, Hughes is projecting to do very well offensively and already posseses high level IQ and skating. This is the same type of criticism Pettersson was receiving due to his size and playing wing.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I disagree. somewhat. Edler has stated that he is not interested in relocating, and I think he will agree to a mild discount. He gets $5M/yr right now, and I think he would consider $3.5 M on a year to year basis. He has done well financially, and I don't think he really gives a damn about making out like a bandit. I agree with the rest of your statement, though I think Juolevi will at worst be a decent 5 - 6, and most likely a 3 -4 in a couple of years. Can always hope he fills out and becomes a steady top pairing, but that's pretty optimistic.
I'm more concerned about term for Edler than annual salary. Though a $3.5M cap hit could justify a longer term. That said, it's very low and I would be quite shocked if he signed for that. A 5 or 6 year term is probably what he'll be looking for and, as was discussed at length with the Beagle and Roussel signings, that blocks development of youth. If Hutton (bottom 4) and Hughes (top 4) lock in left side D spots (assuming Hughes doesn't play Right D except on the powerplay) where does that leave Juolevi if Edler is signed for 5 years (with an NTC because of the cut rate)? It means one of the younger D will be traded.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'm more concerned about term for Edler than annual salary. Though a $3.5M cap hit could justify a longer term. That said, it's very low and I would be quite shocked if he signed for that. A 5 or 6 year term is probably what he'll be looking for and, as was discussed at length with the Beagle and Roussel signings, that blocks development of youth. If Hutton (bottom 4) and Hughes (top 4) lock in left side D spots (assuming Hughes doesn't play Right D except on the powerplay) where does that leave Juolevi if Edler is signed for 5 years (with an NTC because of the cut rate)? It means one of the younger D will be traded.

Once again - I disagree. A player who says I won't be traded is saying I want to stay put. I will be annoyed (again) if JB gives Edler a lengthy contract. If he doesn't want to move, give him 1 or 2 years. At a reduced salary, tell him we will do this as long as you want and can play. He's already had his decent payday, he's past his prime.

And this is coming from an Elder fan.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
do I need to put a sarcasm emoji explicitly on everything??

He will be a better Barrie, a much better Barrie down the line, there would be no immediate impact the likes of which our board anticipates, thats why I am entertaining actually signing Karlsson as bridge and mentor to him. ... otherwise I am against these big ticket signings...

A 7 year bridge?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Once again - I disagree. A player who says I won't be traded is saying I want to stay put. I will be annoyed (again) if JB gives Edler a lengthy contract. If he doesn't want to move, give him 1 or 2 years. At a reduced salary, tell him we will do this as long as you want and can play. He's already had his decent payday, he's past his prime.

And this is coming from an Elder fan.
I guess we'll see. But I think Elder would get some significant offers from other teams both in dollar amount and term. I just don't think it would be wise for the Canucks to make such an offer. If you're right, he won't make it to free agency.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I guess we'll see. But I think Elder would get some significant offers from other teams both in dollar amount and term. I just don't think it would be wise for the Canucks to make such an offer. If you're right, he won't make it to free agency.

I suppose he might go test the waters, and come back to the Canucks and say, here's what others are offering, here's what I'll sign for. Maybe someone will throw a 6 yr $6M contract at him. He's a decent steady defenseman. If I were the canucks I'd offer an annual $3.5 M contract with NMC. Tell him they will keep offering them pretty much as long as he wants. He has stated that he does not want to move. He'd be a bargain at $3.5 M I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad