Confirmed Signing with Link: 2019 Prospect Thread

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
My best interpretation is that it is a unique case.

Loewen's first draft year was 2016 but he went undrafted.
He was then eligible for 2017, but again went undrafted.
Then, in what should have been his last year of eligibility, he was drafted.

DAL held his rights for two years as a NA draftee, but chose not to give him a bona fide offer after one year, effectively releasing their rights, and leading us into the 2019 draft, and initiating a weird situation of what I think is a very rare 21 year old North American draft prospect. (This is very rare already; most (read, pretty much all) players get their bona fide offer and it's very rare a player is released the year after being drafted.)

Now the CBA reads a few things, but nothing direct on this matter.
The CBA (8.4) reads that literally anyone is eligible for the draft, by default, unless they hit the few following marks:

a. A team holds their rights - Well, Dallas just released their rights, so this does not apply.
b. The player has been claimed twice already - Loewen, despite sitting through three drafts now, has only been claimed once, so does not apply.
c. They are 21 or older and have played in NA, but not been claimed - Loewen is 21 and played in NA, but was claimed previously, so does not apply.
d. They are 22 or older and have not been claimed - Loewen is not 22, does not apply.

CBA 8.9 then elaborates on who is eligible to play in the League.
A player is allowed to play in the League (ie. forego the upcoming draft and sign an SPC) if:

a. They were drafted in the most recent draft or were ineligible to be drafted, as per 8.4 above - well, again, as per 8.4 Loewen cannot seemingly be ruled ineligible for draft, so we can ignore that second part, but there may be a little grey here on the first part... Loewen was drafted last draft, but no team has restricted rights to him, since DAL apparently released them... That may mean any other team can sign him between June 1 and the draft as a free agent... I'm not sure....

b. They were eligible for claim in the most recent draft but went unclaimed (and were 20 or older, playing in NA/22 not in NA) - At this point Loewen does not meet this yet, because he was drafted in the last draft.

SO... my best interpretation is that Loewen does not meet eligibility to sit out the draft, nor eligibility to forego the draft and sign (except for maybe that grey window I mentioned).
IF he gets drafted again this year, he will be eligible to sign and play, like any other draftee, and if he doesn't then he will trigger 8.9b, finally releasing him from a very unique draft limbo.

With all that said... I may be way wrong, and/or the tweet could be wrong to begin with :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Jones

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Hawks' prospect Jake Massie is leaving college to turn pro. Massie was drafted in 2015 (by Carolina) and played 3 years of hockey at the University of Vermont.

I'm not exactly sure how this move affects his NHL rights. However, former Sabres prospect' Cal Petersen was in the same situation two years ago and he was signed as a UFA on July 1st 2017 by LA.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Hawks' prospect Jake Massie is leaving college to turn pro. Massie was drafted in 2015 (by Carolina) and played 3 years of hockey at the University of Vermont.

I'm not exactly sure how this move affects his NHL rights. However, former Sabres prospect' Cal Petersen was in the same situation two years ago and he was signed as a UFA on July 1st 2017 by LA.

So, are you saying Booba that the Blackhawks lose Massie's rights on July 1, 2019?

Stryker78

Jul 5, 2009
Montreal
What's happening with those players ?

ARI|Kudla, Patrick|LHD|Nove Zamky (Slovakia)|2016|6|158|
BUF|Hurley, Connor|LW|Norfolk (ECHL)|2013|2|38|
FLA|Fidler, Miguel|LW|Ohio State (NCAA)|2014|5|143|
NYI|Song, Andong|LHD|Cornell (NCAA)|2015|6|172|
NYR|Nanne, Tyler|F|Minnesota (NCAA)|2014|5|142|

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
What's happening with those players ?

ARI|Kudla, Patrick|LHD|Nove Zamky (Slovakia)|2016|6|158|
BUF|Hurley, Connor|LW|Norfolk (ECHL)|2013|2|38|
FLA|Fidler, Miguel|LW|Ohio State (NCAA)|2014|5|143|
NYI|Song, Andong|LHD|Cornell (NCAA)|2015|6|172|
NYR|Nanne, Tyler|F|Minnesota (NCAA)|2014|5|142|

Here is my guess:
NHL clubs hold the rights of college players as long as the players remain in college. If the player ceases to be a college student, then other parts of the CBA kick in. Miguel Fidler didn't play in the 2017-18 season so he should have one more year of eligibility. If he returns to college in the fall, then the Panthers hold his rights until 8/15/2020.
By the way, after the rules about college players and if they were drafted at age 18 or 29, etc., there is a paragraph that says, "As a general matter, the above provisions [in the CBA] were not intended to cut off, and shall not have the effect of cutting off, a Club's exclusive negotiating rights during the period that a Player remains in college". This brings us to Tyler Nanne. He was drafted in 2014 but didn't start playing college until the fall of 2017. Given that the date of NHL teams to sign college players can't be before they graduate, his rights should be held by the Rangers until 8/15/2021 or after he graduates. That, of course, unless he attended college but didn't play or leaves college before then.
If AnDong Song plays for Cornell University this fall, CapFriendly has his rights going to 8/15/2022 so maybe he was a non-playing college student this past year and will graduate in 2022.
The Sabres lost the rights to Connor Hurley when he no longer was a bona fide college player and signed with Norfolk of the ECHL.
Not sure of Patrick Kudla. He may be considered a defected player since he signed with a European club as the Coyotes held his rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad