2019 Post Lottery Mock part 2

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
1. New Jersey Devils: Jack Hughes

After the U18's and the way the Devils to appear to be high on Hughes, it seems like the correct pick. He will be a fantastic player down the road for the stacked Devils.

2. New York Rangers: Kaapo Kakko

New York has the easiest pick aside of the draft.

3. Chicago Black Hawks: Bowen Byram

Chicago gets the best defenseman in the draft and gets the perfect partner for Boqvist for years to come.

4. Colorado Avalanche: Dylan Cozens

Colorado gets the perfect player to play behind Mackinnon. He plays a fast, up tempo game while still maintaining a solid two way game that will translate well to the next level

5. Los Angeles Kings: Trevor Zegras

Kings take a fast, highly skilled center/winger that will fit well with their core and the direction they are going in.

6. Detroit Red Wings: Victor Söderström

Wings take a Swedish RHD that can cement himself as a strong #1 or 2 defenseman if he hits his ceiling. Personally would choose Dach or Turcotte, but it seems like a Red Wings pick and I want to make this mock realistic and have a few logical surprises like the real draft (i.e. Hayton going 5 or Forsberg dropping.)

7. Buffalo Sabres: Alex Turcotte

Sabres Select Turcotte, who will be a terrific #2 center behind Eichel. He plays a strong two way game and will be very reliable to the Sabres for many years to come.

8. Edmonton Oilers: Kirby Dach

Edmonton takes the hometown kid who will be a perfect #2 behind McDavid. They are familiar with the dub as they took Yamamoto a few years back.

9. Anaheim Ducks: Peyton Krebs

Ducks select a high tempo, skilled center and winger in Krebs. He will play very well with Jones and Steel for many years to come.

10. Vancouver Canucks: Alex Newhook

They are familiar with the BCHL, as they are next door to the Nucks. He will be a terrific addition to an already future solid top 6.

11. Philadelphia Flyers: Vasili Podkolzin

Philly takes a Russian, as they have in the past, (Rubstov). The only reason Vasili falls is because of him not coming over until 2 years, which is non issue for the Flyers as they already have a plethora of prospects coming up, so taking a flyer from one and waiting a little bit shouldn’t be a huge issue.

12. Minnesota Wild: Bobby Brink

Minny takes the hometown kid who is putting up impressive numbers in the USHL. He will fit well with their current group of prospects.

13. Florida Panthers: Matthew Boldy

Florida takes the free falling Boldy, Boldy falling will make many teams look dumb down the road looking back in redrafts.

14. Arizona Coyotes: Cole Caulfield

Arizona takes a pure sniper to compliment their centers coming up. Arizona drafter Hayton and he plays for Soo in the OHL, who holds Caufield’s rights. Maybe Cole leaves, and plays with Hayton in his D+1. Arizona will look back at the DeBrincat pick as an indicator that selecting smaller scoring wingers can be rewarding.

15. Montreal Canadiens: Ville Heinola

My favorite pick of the mock. Is a rising Finn like Kotka and Heiskenen in their draft years, although Heinola won’t go third, although he will in redrafts in the upcoming years. He is a terrific LHD Finn that fits perfectly for the habs. I could also see Montreal going with York or Harley at this spot.

16. Colorado Avalanche: Philip Broberg

Colorado gets a very good LHD to play with Makar moving forward. Will fit well with Colorado's already fantastic prospect pool.

17. Vegas Golden Knights: Spencer Knight

Vegas gets a Fluery replacement, and Knight going to the Knights is a match made in heaven.

18. Dallas Stars: Raphael Lavoie

Almost had him going top 15 due to his performance in the Q playoffs, but teams will overlook that and he falls to Dallas who can use a good scoring forward for the future, he will fit real nicely playing in the West with his size and will have a good job transitioning to profesional.

19. Ottawa Senators: Moritz Seider

After a very strong U18's, Seider makes a case for top ten, but ultimately gets selected 19th. He will be a good fit for Ottawa in the near future.

20. New York Rangers: Cam York

New York grabs a slight faller in York, him and Harley are interchangable in my opinion for 16 and 20. I see York falling ultimately due to not being defensively responsible. New Yorks walks out of the 1st very happy with Kakko and York in the first round.

21. Pittsburgh Penguins: Thomas Harley

Pens have seem to need a LHD and could use a D man like Harley. Will be a nice addition to a dry prospect pool. Could look like a homerun pick down the road.

22. Los Angles Kings: Matthew Robertson

Kings take a very solid, defensively responsible and sneaky good offensive two way d man. Could compliment Doughty extremely well and seems like a fairly safe pick.

23. New York Islanders: John Beecher

Isles take a very, very safe pick in the big, fast skating Beecher. He will be a perfect center for the Isles contending in the future.

24. Nashville Predators: Ryan Suzuki

Very good pick with lots of value at 24, almost had him going to the pens at 21 and 12 to minny. Solid pick and will help the center depth very much. Hoglander and Grewe also seemed tempting at this spot.

25. Washington Capitals: Pavel Dorofeyev

Could see Washington take a very good Russian that could learn a lot from Ovie and eventually play with Kuz. All the Russians could also help persuade him to come over earlier to North America.

26. Calgary Flames: Brett Leason

Calgary gets the double overager that could be a huge a boom pick. Calgary probably watched him a lot since he played in the Dub, he should be a solid pick for them moving forward. I could also see them take Kalyiev.

27. Tampa Bay Lighting: Arthur Kalyiev

Tampa goes for a huge boom or bust pick. He fell slightly, but should be a tremendous pick for the Bolts.

28. Carolina Hurricanes: Jakob Pelletier

Carolina stated they will be selecting forwards in the next few first rounds, and they have picked from the Q a few times, could also see Tomasino and McMichael.

29. Anaheim Ducks: Tobias Bjornfot

A somewhat surprise, but the Ducks aren't afraid to reach, especially for Dman. I feel he is a first round talent and i could see the ducks being extremely interested. I want Grewe or Hoglander and they seem like Ducks picks, but they could be available at 40 for Anaheim, but the same could be said for Bjornfot. Former Jr. Duck Ryan Johnson from the Ushow could also be a possibly here.

30. Boston Bruins: Albin Grewe

Boston likes Swedes and he plays a good, fast, tenacious Boston style. Terrific pick at 30. Could be considered a safe pick by some.

31. Buffalo Sabres: Philip Tomasino

Plays for Niagra, which is fairly close to Buffalo, I feel Buffalo needs Dman, but goes BPA here.

As always, feedback is appreciated!

edit: typo

Last edited:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
From Isles perspective, cant go wrong with Beecher or Suzuki here....I'd probably go with Suzuki since I think hes the more dynamic of the two.

Nice mock overall

Reactions: Sam Steel

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Good work, here!
I like that you go off the beaten path, like the draft itself does every year, and don't just follow the public consensus :thumbu: That will likely make a few fans disagree highly with "their" pick, but that's also like the draft itself.

PS. Really dislike Cozens at #4. Sheesh. In this scenario; Turcotte all the way. Ok with Zegras/Dach and maybe even Krebs.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Nice work I always like seeing mocks that are a bit different from the consensus. I’ve seen Lavoie go to Dallas in a few mocks which is a pick that I personally love, but Dallas never selects out of the Q so I don’t see it happening.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Good work, here!
I like that you go off the beaten path, like the draft itself does every year, and don't just follow the public consensus :thumbu: That will likely make a few fans disagree highly with "their" pick, but that's also like the draft itself.

PS. Really dislike Cozens at #4. Sheesh. In this scenario; Turcotte all the way. Ok with Zegras/Dach and maybe even Krebs.
Thanks, it seems like every mock is just rankings put into picks rather than logic like the real draft, but like you said, it happens in the real draft as well (like Kotka going #3 over Zadina and some fans going crazy)

I’m more of a Turcotte fan myself, and could easily see Colorado taking them there, although I feel Colorado would want more size and speed for a #2 centerman behind Mackinnon.

Reactions: VikingAv

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Nice work I always like seeing mocks that are a bit different from the consensus. I’ve seen Lavoie go to Dallas in a few mocks which is a pick that I personally love, but Dallas never selects out of the Q so I don’t see it happening.
Lavoie would be a tremendous pick for Dallas! I could see him going as high as 9 to Anaheim or as low as mid 20’s. It’ll be fun to see where he ends up.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Thanks, it seems like every mock is just rankings put into picks rather than logic like the real draft, but like you said, it happens in the real draft as well (like Kotka going #3 over Zadina and some fans going crazy)

I’m more of a Turcotte fan myself, and could easily see Colorado taking them there, although I feel Colorado would want more size and speed for a #2 centerman behind Mackinnon.

That's my problem with Cozens. I'm one of those who think he won't be effective as a centre in the NHL and should be a RW instead.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
You don't think Broberg goes first round??
fixed that, as my post says above, I thought he was taken top 15, but I edited it and moved a few picks around. It really just was the LHD, as I see them as interchangeable. I ultimately put Broberg 16, as I already had Harley, another LHD going there. I moved a few things around and still seem very logical.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Broberg will be the 1st D off the board after Byram. Not a snowball's chance he falls to the 2nd round
I agree, I thought I had him gone already, as I did my top 15 earlier in April, so I copied and pasted that and did the 2nd half and posted it.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
The Kings have been said to like Turcotte a bunch but that is just talk. While some of my brethren may not like it too much I would take the money and run with Zegras. Solid two way center who can snipe with most everyone? Yep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad