Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Absolutely possible. What makes me think wasn't only a manager's decision is that he mentioned Kelley throwing well and only throwing 10 pitches the inning before. If the manager likes the stuff of the pitcher, he's going to go with him regardless of the number of pitches (provided he's not well over 100 or something crazy like that). Mentioning the low number of pitches is something a stat crunching asshat would use to justify their logic for a move that's outside the box, imo.

But either way, Roberts and the front office have shown they're all in on analytics and are in agreement, which makes Roberts eschewing them to go with his gut in the biggest moment of the year something I just don't see being accurate. It makes zero sense.
I watch MLB Now with Brian Kenny and the panel discussion that included Al Leiter & John Hart long time GM said Kershaw coming in was agreed that day hours before the game

they got into a long discussion on Kenley Jansen non usage

What was outstanding was they brought back the previous days Leiter & Hart takes and both said do not pitch Kershaw early and play the way you won 106 games

I think Smoltz was the one who said if it goes to extra innings you can use a starter

both provided reasoning why you don’t pitch Kershaw and go with the lefty kid they brought up if they need a lefty on lefty

they said ideally if you get 6 or 7 out of Buehler you go with Baez & Jansen to close out

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I watch MLB Now with Brian Kenny and the panel discussion that included Al Leiter & John Hart long time GM said Kershaw coming in was agreed that day hours before the game

they got into a long discussion on Kenley Jansen non usage

What was outstanding was they brought back the previous days Leiter & Hart takes and both said do not pitch Kershaw early and play the way you won 106 games

I think Smoltz was the one who said if it goes to extra innings you can use a starter

both provided reasoning why you don’t pitch Kershaw and go with the lefty kid they brought up if they need a lefty on lefty

they said ideally if you get 6 or 7 out of Buehler you go with Baez & Jansen to close out

Like I said, anything is possible. Well, except that Roberts went rogue in the last game of the year. That much I know is BS. Did he have lattitude to make a move or two? Probably. Does that change my belief that the pro analytics crowd is being unreasonable hanging everything on Roberts? Nope. Using analytics is basically playing the percentages. And even when you do that really well, sometimes you still lose. It's just fact.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Anyone wanna copy the Nats and not pay our unreasonable future HOF OF and sign the best starter on the market instead?

Bumgarner or Cole work for me.

Sale or Price to the pen maybe.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Anyone wanna copy the Nats and not pay our unreasonable future HOF OF and sign the best starter on the market instead?

Cole at the price of what, Brad, the entire Red Sox organization including Fenway South, that's why you dropped 10 slots in the draft, because of the Tax, which is where they're at now, who else is gullible to take Sale or Price like we did with Hanley or when the Dodgers got coerced into a trade years back

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DC_WP.jpg

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Cole at the price of what, Brad, the entire Red Sox organization including Fenway South, that's why you dropped 10 slots in the draft, because of the Tax, which is where they're at now, who else is gullible to take Sale or Price like we did with Hanley or when the Dodgers got coerced into a trade years back

JDM and Mookie.

I know Mookie is headed for the HOF but hes not a big guy I don't see the way he has the power 10 years from now to make 30 mil/year look good. Think it would be another Pedroia but Pedroia gave us a below market deal. JDM who knows I doubt he finds a team before spring training. Just get the feeling both guys might be doing us a favor we got there best and let someone else pay them.

Thats 50mil off the books next year.

Mookie to LA for Pollock and Ryu
Sign Gerrit Cole
Trade JBJ for a prospect
Sign Puig

Puig-Benny-Pollock OF

Rotation is something like Cole-Ryu-Sale-Price-Erod

Eovaldi to close.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
JDM and Mookie.

I know Mookie is headed for the HOF but hes not a big guy I don't see the way he has the power 10 years from now to make 30 mil/year look good. Think it would be another Pedroia but Pedroia gave us a below market deal. JDM who knows I doubt he finds a team before spring training. Just get the feeling both guys might be doing us a favor we got there best and let someone else pay them.

Sign Gerrit Cole
Trade JBJ for a prospect
Sign Puig

Puig-Benny-Pollock OF

Eovaldi to close.

Ryu is a free agent, but I get the overall stance and it isn’t a bad idea.

I have gone back and forth on the idea of what I would want Mookie traded for. If he was gonna go to the Dodgers, why not for something like Lux and May and move Lux to 2b?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Who said he's being unreasonable? Is it unreasonable as a player to want fair market value given your career is literally a very short period of your life? If the Sox don't pay Betts and he walks, where does that extra money go? They're certainly not going to give the fans a rebate for their already sky high ticket prices now are they? Do you as a fan really give a flying f*** if billionaire John Henry doesn't make as much profit as he could because he has to actually pay market value for a player?

I honestly don't get fans that side with management regarding player pay. What kind of corporate lackeys are you people?

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
JDM and Mookie.

Sign Gerrit Cole
Trade JBJ for a prospect
Sign Puig

Puig-Benny-Pollock OF

Eovaldi to close.
then you can deal Bennitendi as well, Brad and then where you going to get a caliber outfield and there goes your Gold Glove defense

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Bumgarner arm on back nine

If the Sox have $30 M around I want it going to Betts

all we need is another 30 M pitcher one curve ball away from TJ surgery

0.0 they are repeating this mistake again

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Nats better get Arenado $33.5 AVV for Rendon

Soto ain’t taking Acuña deal

he should take arbitration all the way thru before grabbing $30-40 M per in 6 yrs

Robles also could be a monster contract

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd rather keep Betts and JDM and move Benny to fill another hole.
I’m not trading him
Cheap
Talented

had 39 doubles and hitting 291 when sprained wrist

I see him as 300/20/90 next season

If I’m another GM I try and swoop in and hope new GM is one of those dummies on twitter that thinks they know it all

Reactions: CDJ

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Nats better get Arenado $33.5 AVV for Rendon

Soto ain’t taking Acuña deal

he should take arbitration all the way thru before grabbing $30-40 M per in 6 yrs

Robles also could be a monster contract

Soto is 20 and under control and Rendon just had his first 30 HR season.

I think you can't sign Rendon without letting him see there is no monster offer there in free agency and then making a bid. If you lose him you replace him with a guy that makes 10 mil and can give you 20 and 80.

Long 30+ mil contracts are scary I'd stay away all together. Put too much pressure on the player honestly. Lots of talented bats out there.

They spent their money on pitching and have been rewarded. A year ago it was us in that position. Its hard to be optimistic about this staff at this moment but I don't think any of Sale/Eovaldi/Price are finished. Adding an ace to the mix is the best way to beat NYY as I don't think keeping Mook and JDM is enough to have the better lineup next year.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It looks like Mother Nature has temporarily solved the Astros' dilemma over a fourth starter. Today's game is postponed and apparently Hinch will use Greinke and Verlander in games 4 & 5.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The rainout screws up both rotations if it goes 7.

Houston will have to choose between Cole on short rest or a bullpen game in game 6. The Yanks will have to throw JA Happ or CC Sabathia in game 7 (a de facto all hands on deck bullpen game).

Of course, it's moot because this one should be done in 5.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There's a really good chance that tonight was the last appearance in CC Sabathia's career. Hurt himself in relief and walked off the mound to an ovation.

3000 Ks, 250 wins, 10 years in New York with a title, one career Cy Young (should've won two but got traded between leagues in the middle of a season). His peak from about 2006 to 2011/12 was tremendous. I think he's likely headed to the Hall of Fame.

Looking at his career trajectory too, he went from great to bad for three years, which culminated in his trip to rehab, after which he had three pretty good years at the end of his career, and flagged again this year since his body gave out. You can never really know, but I think if he didn't run into a drinking problem and waste his 2013, 2014, and 2015 seasons, he would be a shoe-in first-ballot HOFer. He's still probably getting in regardless. Good career, he was the active leader in wins and strikeouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad