Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Game 1 of the World Series is a week from tomorrow. Washington could very well be sitting and waiting for a week while the Astros and Yankees slug it out for 7 games.

Reactions: smithformeragent

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For the Monday crowd who might feel like engaging Lonnie's latest baseball thread troll job.

That's the best part of all, Mike. When I'm telling the truth, it's not a troll job. Dave Roberts is an analytics guy. He works for a GM that is an analytics guy. The GM reports to a President of Baseball Ops that's an analytics guy. They have pregame meetings to go over strategy. They discuss things like in scenario A you do this. In scenario B, you do that. They go over everything in painstaking detail because that's who they are as an organization. They're paint by numbers.

And why do I say this? Is it because I hate analytics and think it has no place in sports??

No. I'm not saying anything close to that. All I've been saying the entire time is that the analytics crowd is pathetic because they're happy to take credit when a manager makes a head scratching move that works out, but when they do something that doesn't work, it's attributed to the manager going rogue and using their gut.

So thank you for continually proving my point, Michael. It's really nice of you to continually offer up articles that back exactly what I'm saying here. They want the credit, but won't accept the blame.

Even better is that you yourself claim Roberts went rogue, yet the team's response was a vote of confidence in the manager despite the fans and articles screaming he has to go. If Dave Roberts truly threw out the analytics and went with his gut, why would the team back him? Makes zero sense. Much like the unwillingness for analytics people to accept that sometimes you can play the odds and still lose.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That's the best part of all, Mike. When I'm telling the truth, it's not a troll job. Dave Roberts is an analytics guy. He works for a GM that is an analytics guy. The GM reports to a President of Baseball Ops that's an analytics guy. They have pregame meetings to go over strategy. They discuss things like in scenario A you do this. In scenario B, you do that. They go over everything in painstaking detail because that's who they are as an organization. They're paint by numbers.

And why do I say this? Is it because I hate analytics and think it has no place in sports??

No. I'm not saying anything close to that. All I've been saying the entire time is that the analytics crowd is pathetic because they're happy to take credit when a manager makes a head scratching move that works out, but when they do something that doesn't work, it's attributed to the manager going rogue and using their gut.

So thank you for continually proving my point, Michael. It's really nice of you to continually offer up articles that back exactly what I'm saying here. They want the credit, but won't accept the blame.

Even better is that you yourself claim Roberts went rogue, yet the team's response was a vote of confidence in the manager despite the fans and articles screaming he has to go. If Dave Roberts truly threw out the analytics and went with his gut, why would the team back him? Makes zero sense. Much like the unwillingness for analytics people to accept that sometimes you can play the odds and still lose.

Not your best work. Worse? Not even good work.

But to give you more credit than you deserve, they just gave him a 4-year extension. It was highly unlikely they were firing him even though he clearly botched Game 5 by going against everything he should have done.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not your best work. Worse? Not even good work.

But to give you more credit than you deserve, they just gave him a 4-year extension. It was highly unlikely they were firing him even though he clearly botched Game 5 by going against everything he should have done.

Maybe. But they still didn't have to give him a vote of confidence, which they did. They could have left him dangling in the breeze longer to feel the pressure and learn his lesson to not go rogue, but they came out immediately and backed him. Why is that? I mean crap, doing that tells me everything I need to know about where the moves originated from, but hey, logic isn't for everyone.

Since you're so hardcore on this though, how do you track which questionable moves are his versus the questionable moves of the number crunchers on their laptops? Well, aside from just picking the ones that worked out, like you've been doing, that is... :naughty:

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Maybe. But they still didn't have to give him a vote of confidence, which they did. They could have left him dangling in the breeze longer to feel the pressure and learn his lesson to not go rogue, but they came out immediately and backed him. Why is that? I mean crap, doing that tells me everything I need to know about where the moves originated from, but hey, logic isn't for everyone.

Since you're so hardcore on this though, how do you track which questionable moves are his versus the questionable moves of the number crunchers on their laptops? Well, aside from just picking the ones that worked out, like you've been doing, that is... :naughty:

Boy that would have been really f***ing stupid and it's obvious why no decently run organization would do something like that. Aside from that though good stuff.

I also love how you continue to ignore how no one from the analytics community said what Roberts did was right. They have all said the complete opposite. It's almost like your entire argument - that Roberts is an unthinking puppet - is wrong.

Molly Knight said that exactly.

SHIT after warning everyone yesterday not to take the bait I took the bait. Well kudos on that. But I'm an idiot so don't feel too much pride.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Boy that would have been really ****ing stupid and it's obvious why no decently run organization would do something like that. Aside from that though good stuff.

I also love how you continue to ignore how no one from the analytics community said what Roberts did was right. They have all said the complete opposite. It's almost like your entire argument - that Roberts is an unthinking puppet - is wrong.

Molly Knight said that exactly.

**** after warning everyone yesterday not to take the bait I took the bait. Well kudos on that. But I'm an idiot so don't feel too much pride.

Ignore it? It's the entire reason I've been posting. They were so quick to hang it all on Roberts for going rogue, which was laughable since that entire organization is predicated on not doing that. The analytics crowd only wants to take credit and are trying like motherf***ers to get out from any possible blame here. And aside from writers like Molly Knight, the team's actions do not match what the claims are.

So again, I'm not ignoring anything. In fact, what you say I'm ignoring is literally the entire premise of my argument, Mike. :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Another plus for watching in 4K is no commercials - just a cover shot between innings

72902623_10218921304036314_6910369020805906432_n.jpg

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
The only plus side of the Yankees in the playoffs is entertainment of the the sea of douchebags they flash to consistently in between pitches

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

On MLB Network Tonight they said ‘they’ all met late morning to discuss the plan for game 5- the front office and coaches. It was a fascinating show as they dug deep I into the move and options

Kershaw was definitely coming in before their regular lefty. Roberts was part of the group and may have internally wanted it but this was no Grady Little about Kershaw
where it could have been a Grady Little decision- manager call was Kelly second inning

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
On MLB Network Tonight they said ‘they’ all met late morning to discuss the plan for game 5- the front office and coaches. It was a fascinating show as they dug deep I into the move and options

Kershaw was definitely coming in before their regular lefty. Roberts was part of the group and may have internally wanted it but this was no Grady Little about Kershaw
where it could have been a Grady Little decision- manager call was Kelly second inning
Whoa , wait a minute.

So Lonnie wasn’t trolling according to @EverettMike because he proved him wrong?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Absolutely possible. What makes me think wasn't only a manager's decision is that he mentioned Kelley throwing well and only throwing 10 pitches the inning before. If the manager likes the stuff of the pitcher, he's going to go with him regardless of the number of pitches (provided he's not well over 100 or something crazy like that). Mentioning the low number of pitches is something a stat crunching asshat would use to justify their logic for a move that's outside the box, imo.

But either way, Roberts and the front office have shown they're all in on analytics and are in agreement, which makes Roberts eschewing them to go with his gut in the biggest moment of the year something I just don't see being accurate. It makes zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->