Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Rays won, A's up in the 9th on the Yanks. This weekend has pretty much sucked all the life out of us.

Pretty much nothing interesting out of September callups either. Some guy named Gorkys Hernandez is up and starting in CF. Is Jackie injured or is Alex just done with him?

Jhoulys Chacin called up too. Hell, at least it gives us another starter so we don't have to have any more bullpen days.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
Rays won, A's up in the 9th on the Yanks. This weekend has pretty much sucked all the life out of us.

Pretty much nothing interesting out of September callups either. Some guy named Gorkys Hernandez is up and starting in CF. Is Jackie injured or is Alex just done with him?

Jhoulys Chacin called up too. Hell, at least it gives us another starter so we don't have to have any more bullpen days.
A's just had a nice choke job.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Good thing they didn’t pay Kimbrel after all, sheesh

Center cut a 3-2 curveball to Yelich. That’s not gonna work out for ya 10 times out of 10

If you told me at the start of the season that Weber would be picking up the win and Workman would be getting the save in a September game I would’ve told you we were 20 games below .500

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Good thing they didn’t pay Kimbrel after all, sheesh

Center cut a 3-2 curveball to Yelich. That’s not gonna work out for ya 10 times out of 10

If you told me at the start of the season that Weber would be picking up the win and Workman would be getting the save in a September game I would’ve told you we were 20 games below .500
There's no way to know where the Sox would be if they had Kimbrel for a full season. Hard to judge his performance after jumping in midseason and then the knee issue. He had a 1.17 ERA with 6 saves in his last 8 appearances before today.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There's no way to know where the Sox would be if they had Kimbrel for a full season. Hard to judge his performance after jumping in midseason and then the knee issue. He had a 1.17 ERA with 6 saves in his last 8 appearances before today.

I don’t think the bullpens been an issue, I think the starters have failed them. Across the league bullpen ERA’s are up a half a run due to the new ball so quite literally every fan base complains about their bullpen

I honestly don’t think they’d be much better off with Kimbrel. Maybe a win or two better. Workman has had an all time year when it comes to suppressing hits. I’d probably take him over Kimbrel at this point.

And yeah it’s true, Kimbrel has pitched well when he’s pitched well! Unfortunately his bad outings still count, his ERA is 5.68, he’s walking even more guys than he did last year when his control was trash, his strikeouts are down, and he’s allowing home runs at a ridiculous rate (I think he’s at 6 in about 20 innings). One away from tying his personal high, set last year

He’s trending in an awful direction. It began with the playoffs last year imo

Last edited:

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
I don’t think the bullpens been an issue, I think the starters have failed them. Across the league bullpen ERA’s are up a half a run due to the new ball so quite literally every fan base complains about their bullpen

I honestly don’t think they’d be much better off with Kimbrel. Maybe a win or two better. Workman has had an all time year when it comes to suppressing hits. I’d probably take him over Kimbrel at this point.

And yeah it’s true, Kimbrel has pitched well when he’s pitched well! Unfortunately his bad outings still count, his ERA is 5.68, he’s walking even more guys than he did last year when his control was trash, his strikeouts are down, and he’s allowing home runs at a ridiculous rate (I think he’s at 6 in about 20 innings). One away from tying his personal high, set last year

He’s trending in an awful direction. It began with the playoffs last year imo
Two wins better right now would be huge.

Say what you will about modern bullpen construction, but Kimbrel has always been a pure closer. He's 13/15 for saves this season and his ERA is 8 runs better in save situations than in non-saves, I'm not saying he's been good or that his career isn't on a downtrend or even that the Sox should have signed him. And I know the pen has seemed to round into form after the season has basically been over for a month. All I know is that in a season where the Sox lead the league in blown saves and have by far the worst save % in baseball, "thank god they didn't sign Kimbrel" never once crossed my mind.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Two wins better right now would be huge.

Say what you will about modern bullpen construction, but Kimbrel has always been a pure closer. He's 13/15 for saves this season and his ERA is 8 runs better in save situations than in non-saves, I'm not saying he's been good or that his career isn't on a downtrend or even that the Sox should have signed him. And I know the pen has seemed to round into form after the season has basically been over for a month. All I know is that in a season where the Sox lead the league in blown saves and have by far the worst save % in baseball, "thank god they didn't sign Kimbrel" never once crossed my mind.

Here’s the thing about leading the league in blown saves- you have to have a lot of leads to do it and I think teams with legitimately great bullpens are immediately behind us in those rankings like the Yankees. Bullpens across baseball have seen their ERA’s go up a half a run so most fan bases feel the same way we do. We aren’t used to seeing this kind of “failure” out of those arms. It all comes down to the ball really. AAA saw 2100 more home runs this year since the introduction of the MLB ball. Not a typo.

I agree with most of what you’re saying though- 2 games better would be a much better outlook right now, that’s for sure. There’s a chance he could’ve helped that. It just was never in the cards due to the luxury tax threshold I would imagine. I’m glad they didn’t commit to him even if it did cost them A little in the standings this year. Would’ve put them in a tougher spot moving forward

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Here’s the thing about leading the league in blown saves- you have to have a lot of leads to do it and I think teams with legitimately great bullpens are immediately behind us in those rankings like the Yankees.
That's why I also mentioned save %. ;) Yanks are 9th in most blown saves but also 9th in overall save %.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->