Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
When it comes to pitching, preparation, studying...never been an issue for him. Unless we're worried he's gonna start talking politics on his mound visits. Regardless, not gonna happen. But I don't think his social media stuff would prevent him from being a good pitching coach.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
When it comes to pitching, preparation, studying...never been an issue for him. Unless we're worried he's gonna start talking politics on his mound visits. Regardless, not gonna happen. But I don't think his social media stuff would prevent him from being a good pitching coach.

Curt's work ethic and baseball IQ has never been in question.

However, the other major part of being a coach is fostering positive relationships with your players, having their trust, communication, etc. And even going back to the early days of his playing career, there are countless stories of teammates claiming they hated him. And this is well before any political soapbox or social media. Dude is just unlikable. Regardless of whether he is a pitching genius or not, are guys of this millennial generation going to trust a word that comes out of his mouth and feel comfortable with him? Like, imagine Curt Schilling as pitching coach for David Price. Good God.

Because of his personality, I don't see him thriving in any type of coaching position. That doesn't even factor in the PR nightmare that comes with hiring him.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Curt's work ethic and baseball IQ has never been in question.

However, the other major part of being a coach is fostering positive relationships with your players, having their trust, communication, etc. And even going back to the early days of his playing career, there are countless stories of teammates claiming they hated him. And this is well before any political soapbox or social media. Dude is just unlikable. Regardless of whether he is a pitching genius or not, are guys of this millennial generation going to trust a word that comes out of his mouth and feel comfortable with him? Like, imagine Curt Schilling as pitching coach for David Price. Good God.

Because of his personality, I don't see him thriving in any type of coaching position. That doesn't even factor in the PR nightmare that comes with hiring him.

Exactly 10 years ago I learned firsthand how shallow and clueless Shilling could be.

I was living in Chicago as my truck company was training camera ops to televise Blackhawks home games and I became a regular at a full-blown Boston sports bar less than a mile from Wrigley Field. I convinced the owner to get Center Ice which at the time was more expensive than MLB Extra Innings for a bar and it worked out well.

Curt's wife was running in the Chicago Marathon and one of the bartenders who was from Quincy convinced the owner to do a fundraiser for Shonda's charity - The Shade Foundation - and Curt would do a meet and greet for 2 hours with fans willing to spend $100 for a ticket. It was a huge success.

36405_1468005972843_6712623_n.jpg

1915911_1468023933292_1567681_n.jpg

36345_1468065894341_2087375_n.jpg

We had the Bruins game on and that annoyed Curt who asked if we could put on the FLYERS game because he said 'I HATE THE BRUINS'

34216_1468044493806_426534_n.jpg

The owner refused his request and he left the fundraiser early. This happened 10 years ago this weekend, long before he moved his company to Rhode Island.

BTW that was a GREAT Boston bar 1,000 miles from home

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Scherzer and anibal being lights out in the same playoff rotation....shades of dombrowski’s 2013 tigers

Hopefully they have the bullpen/lineup support this time

Reactions: smithformeragent

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bregman is a great player. I've really never been a fan of him because of his whole frat boy personality, but you can't deny he's elite. Also, seems like he's mellowed out a bit since the last couple years.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Jeez, this Kay guy needs to face some responsibility for this. The Angels organization is going to have to pay for allowing this to happen under their watch too.
Angels know nothing about it, though, why should they be held accountable, were they held accountable in the Adenhart tragedy?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Angels know nothing about it, though, why should they be held accountable, were they held accountable in the Adenhart tragedy?
There's a pretty big difference between one of their players being hit by a drunk driver while driving home and one of their players being supplied with opiates by a team employee and overdosing, CHRDAN.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
There's a pretty big difference between one of their players being hit by a drunk driver while driving home and one of their players being supplied with opiates by a team employee and overdosing, CHRDAN.
but you're implying the Angels or MLB knew that it was going on, which that was denied, or a culture perpetuated, how can they be held accountable

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
And you brought up the “culture” thing. You said the Angels were not made aware which they very clearly were.

But since you brought it up, if you have five players out of 25 using, I’d say you have a pretty major issue.
Angels flatout denied there's an issue, care to explain how are they culpable or why wasn't this caught by MLB, THEN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad