Red Sox/MLB 2019 Playoffs V - Lowell Spinners would lose Red Sox connection under radical MLB plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Porcello and Sandoval is almost 40 mill by themselves

One is a pure savings. The other is an arm that needs to be replaced. You can say they’ll do it for less or you can say that Porcello wasn’t good this year anyway, but fact is it’s one of your starters and those innings need to be filled, Mookie’s gotta be dealt with, etc.

Looked at another way, the FO was ok carrying a $236m payroll IF they are winning titles or at least going deep. They’re not ok now having a, what, maybe a $215M payroll and sucking.

A lot going on, many moving parts including over all depth of the organization. So things are going to change. Just hope they don’t eff it up and revert to the “also rans” we experienced formtoo many years.

Reactions: CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If the Sox pass on Mookie and JD, the yankees will be right there to pay them im sure.
0.0 they will

This ain’t George Steinbrenner Yankees

The penalties for going over the cap from the tax, to the lost International money, to draft picks lost or positional penalties

Yankees have to sign a boat load of young stars over the next few years

Good luck getting rid of Stanton, paying Judge and Betts- they reupped Hicks and mushroom head and have Tauchman and other cost effective players to offset the $55-60 M they will be paying Stanton and Judge soon enough

JD is 32 plays the OF like a matador now and makes over $20 M

You name the team - any team that will sign him I can build a great case why they won’t

Martinez & Boston are logical

My advice if I’m Boras is don’t opt out

As for Betts the one team that makes all the sense from so many levels are the Cardinals

The Red Sox need to go all in on him - they are acting like a bunch of p***yes

My objective in 2019 was sign Betts & Bogearts and promote Romero if they move from DD. I thought all along if they stumble he’s gone and been hearing for years about Romero brilliance

The silver lining to the botched firing is the chaos created

The Red Sox owns the Globe & NESN but they are getting hammered everywhere

They are reactionary and have rabbit ears over there

Very likely they will realize they are taking a monster publicity hit

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
0.0 they will

This ain’t George Steinbrenner Yankees

The penalties for going over the cap from the tax, to the lost International money, to draft picks lost or positional penalties

Yankees have to sign a boat load of young stars over the next few years

Good luck getting rid of Stanton, paying Judge and Betts- they reupped Hicks and mushroom head and have Tauchman and other cost effective players to offset the $55-60 M they will be paying Stanton and Judge soon enough

JD is 32 plays the OF like a matador now and makes over $20 M

You name the team - any team that will sign him I can build a great case why they won’t

Martinez & Boston are logical

My advice if I’m Boras is don’t opt out

As for Betts the one team that makes all the sense from so many levels are the Cardinals

The Red Sox need to go all in on him - they are acting like a bunch of *****es

My objective in 2019 was sign Betts & Bogearts and promote Romero if they move from DD. I thought all along if they stumble he’s gone and been hearing for years about Romero brilliance

The silver lining to the botched firing is the chaos created

The Red Sox owns the Globe & NESN but they are getting hammered everywhere

They are reactionary and have rabbit ears over there

Very likely they will realize they are taking a monster publicity hit

Betts I could perhaps seeing making sense for NY. insert him bt Stanton and Judge he could put up some big numbers and you're hurting the sox as well.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Betts I could perhaps seeing making sense for NY. insert him bt Stanton and Judge he could put up some big numbers and you're hurting the sox as well.
Yankees are paying Stanton thru 2028 basically $32 M per

Judge if he averages 40 homers

$25-30 M

They have Hicks 7/$70

0.0 they are paying Betts $30 M. The Red Sox will win the 2019 WS before the Yankees sign Betts

Gleyber Torres
Gary Sanchez

Yankees will be in trouble to stay under cap with an OF of Gardner/Tachman- Hicks - Stanton- Judge

Reactions: KrejciMVP

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm so torn on Betts.

My opinion he's a top 5 player and the idea of having to move him as a big market team makes me angry. The Red Sox should be able to give him a blank check and be okay with it. On the other hand, his insistence that he test the market makes me think it might be best to get max value for him asap. If he would truly turn down a Trout like offer between now and UFA status, I think I'd have to move him rather than risk that he simply doesn't want to be here and will take less to go elsewhere. As Betts says, it's a business. And as a business, I think the Sox should cut ties with players who seem to not care if they're here or not.

Of course there are a million issues involved in any Betts deal, including trade value, roster effect, etc. But I don't see the wisdom in letting him play out his contract and go to free agency. If you can't sign him by the end of the winter, move him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm so torn on Betts.

My opinion he's a top 5 player and the idea of having to move him as a big market team makes me angry. The Red Sox should be able to give him a blank check and be okay with it. On the other hand, his insistence that he test the market makes me think it might be best to get max value for him asap. If he would truly turn down a Trout like offer between now and UFA status, I think I'd have to move him rather than risk that he simply doesn't want to be here and will take less to go elsewhere. As Betts says, it's a business. And as a business, I think the Sox should cut ties with players who seem to not care if they're here or not.

Of course there are a million issues involved in any Betts deal, including trade value, roster effect, etc. But I don't see the wisdom in letting him play out his contract and go to free agency. If you can't sign him by the end of the winter, move him.
We know what Betts is

We can only speculate what comes back ?

The odds of winning a Betts deal are slim to none

These are the Boston freaking Red Sox

They need to stop acting like a bunch of p***yes

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m still expecting Betts signed here

They got the money and if the Yankees should ever when they have a decision to make

1. Be a sackless also ran to the Yankees charging the highest ticket prices in the league while getting crushed daily in the non Henry owned media

2. Grow a pair have some leadership - sign Betts or atleast offer him
90 % of Trout

Reactions: BMC

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
They should offer him the same deal as Trout. Shows faith that you think he’s the best player in the league, but ideally with inflation down the line it will end up manageable. If they’re going to cry poor here I’ll lose my mind.

Reactions: DKH and CDJ

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
They should offer him the same deal as Trout. Shows faith that you think he’s the best player in the league, but ideally with inflation down the line it will end up manageable. If they’re going to cry poor here I’ll lose my mind.

Maybe they can have a bake sale to raise some cash.

Henry not having a press conference after firing the GM and now floating the 'we can't keep both' stuff is typical Red Sox...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
In 2003 if you told me this ownership group would win 4 World Series but would be the most disliked ownership group of the main 4 teams in the area I would’ve thought you were crazy

But here we are. And it’s not without justification either, fans are being rational here which isn’t often the case in this market

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
In 2003 if you told me this ownership group would win 4 World Series but would be the most disliked ownership group of the main 4 teams in the area I would’ve thought you were crazy

But here we are. And it’s not without justification either, fans are being rational here which isn’t often the case in this market

I defend this ownership a lot, but they have been cowardly this week. Pretty disgraceful stuff. And I'll never get over what they did to Francona after firing him. Never gonna forgive them for that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I defend this ownership a lot, but they have been cowardly this week. Pretty disgraceful stuff. And I'll never get over what they did to Francona after firing him. Never gonna forgive them for that.

Gutless move to not have a press conference. Fired the guy and didn't want to stand in front and face the music. Even better is that Drellich tidbit that they fired him over extending Chris Sale instead of waiting to see how his shoulder was going to hold up. Maybe I'm crazy, but wouldn't Sox ownership ultimately have to approve a deal that large? Now that Sale is hurt, they hang it on Dembrowski? Yeah, not buying it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Johnny Venters is gonna try to come back from a major shoulder surgery now

3 tommy johns and another elbow procedure already. It’s gotta be rubber bands and chewed gum holding his arm together at this point, i don’t even know where they would find the ligament for a 3rd ulnar ligament replacement but they did it. Maybe a cadaver?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Gutless move to not have a press conference. Fired the guy and didn't want to stand in front and face the music. Even better is that Drellich tidbit that they fired him over extending Chris Sale instead of waiting to see how his shoulder was going to hold up. Maybe I'm crazy, but wouldn't Sox ownership ultimately have to approve a deal that large? Now that Sale is hurt, they hang it on Dembrowski? Yeah, not buying it.

The Sale extension is a fire-able offense. Not facing the media is too.

Reactions: Mathews28 and DKH

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Sale extension is a fire-able offense. Not facing the media is too.

If DD did that extension all on his own, sure. But that's not the case here. Henry signs off on all major deals like this so hanging it on DD is ridiculous. And it shows me that the smear campaign is in full swing...

Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad