OT: 2019 Ottawa Festival and Concerts Thread

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Really missing that BIG draw this year
Agreed. I guess Eric Church is a pretty huge name but I'm really not a country fan. I might go if there's a day where the few bands I like are all together, but if that doesn't happen I probably won't bother. Backstreet boys might be fun for the nostalgia but still not worth paying for if there aren't any other acts I like with them.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I can't go and see CHVRCHES because they spelled Churches wrong.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Agreed. I guess Eric Church is a pretty huge name but I'm really not a country fan. I might go if there's a day where the few bands I like are all together, but if that doesn't happen I probably won't bother. Backstreet boys might be fun for the nostalgia but still not worth paying for if there aren't any other acts I like with them.
I guess enough time has passed that Backstreet Boys are considered a legendary vintage group but we're missing a monster band (acdc or gnr type band)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I guess enough time has passed that Backstreet Boys are considered a legendary vintage group but we're missing a monster band (acdc or gnr type band)

I assume more are coming, seems the older crowd (40+) is left wanting here big time but they are shifting their demographics to a much younger audience (under 19 band and under 25 band)...im 34 and feel much to old for most of these shows and artists.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
I assume more are coming, seems the older crowd (40+) is left wanting here big time but they are shifting their demographics to a much younger audience (under 19 band and under 25 band)...im 34 and feel much to old for most of these shows and artists.
It's my 26th birthday and feel out of touch with this lineup big time. I know it's a question of taste but they can't just be bringing in hip hop and country galore and neglect blues-influenced rock music.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
It's my 26th birthday and feel out of touch with this lineup big time. I know it's a question of taste but they can't just be bringing in hip hop and country galore and neglect blues-influenced rock music.
It definitely isn't filled with hip hop galore lol.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
last year was better, they had Dave Grohler and the food fighters. Now they have all these hippity-hop 'bands' and techno nonsense. Real music is dead. Rip 2018

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
1) this lineup is kinda trash

2) probably only buying tickets for the 12th (Alexisonfire)

3) why are America (a legendary folk-rock band) and Backstreet Boys (the poppiest pop that ever popped) on the same night? That has to be possibly the wierdest flavour fail I've ever seen. I guess it's so that the 40-year-old daughters can take their 70-year-old fathers to a concert and they'll both see something they like? LOL.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
As long as Alexisonfire just plays stuff from the S/T and Watch Out I'm game.

I can enjoy all their stuff. I know Crows/Cardinals gets a bad rap from some fans, but I really think it's aged well. I thought it was a good transitional album, and they just never followed up on it. There's a couple of duds on the album, but those usually don't get played live, so it's all good.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I can enjoy all their stuff. I know Crows/Cardinals gets a bad rap from some fans, but I really think it's aged well. I thought it was a good transitional album, and they just never followed up on it. There's a couple of duds on the album, but those usually don't get played live, so it's all good.
Yeah there’s a couple of bangers on there, but the self titled and Watch Out have to be considered the cream of the crop.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Also, does anyone remember seeing them in the early days? I remember seeing them at the Saloon in Kingston right before watchout came out, and at Capital Music Hall later that year IIRC. I think Bluesfest 2005 as well. f*** they were good. I remember skateboarding out front with Dallas Green at the Kingston one.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Also, does anyone remember seeing them in the early days? I remember seeing them at the Saloon in Kingston right before watchout came out, and at Capital Music Hall later that year IIRC. I think Bluesfest 2005 as well. **** they were good. I remember skateboarding out front with Dallas Green at the Kingston one.

I never got a chance to see them in the REALLY early days.

I've seen them three times? Twice or three times, depending on if you count the one time I got sidetracked by non-concert stuff and ended up missing half the set. Also not counting Dallas Green solo shows.

First time was like... 2004? AOF was headliner, and Death From Above was the main opening act (there was some rando 3rd band who opened the whole show and were garbage, can't remember who they were).

Last time I saw AOF was a triple-header with Cancer Bats and Billy Talent. Maybe like 2009-ish? To say it was one of the better shows I've seen in the last 15 years is an understatement. CB and AOF absolutely killed it.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
New acts I've seen here in Montreal I suggest checking out are US Girls and Yonatan Gat.

Sometimes the bands you don't know are the most surprising. I find too many people now go to these fests looking for nostalgic bands from 20 years ago that haven't put anything noteworthy in decades.

Like, try to discover new music!

(Otherwise I agree lineup is weak lol)

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
If you enjoy rock I’d definitely reccomend seeing The Glorious Sons if you didn’t see them last time they were here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hey, quick question for a guy who hasn't been in Ottawa much over the past 9 years... the 27 Club is the old Zaphod's right?

Couple of shows I'll probably check out soon, is it still the same old dingy Zaphods?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hey, quick question for a guy who hasn't been in Ottawa much over the past 9 years... the 27 Club is the old Zaphod's right?

Couple of shows I'll probably check out soon, is it still the same old dingy Zaphods?
Yeah it is. Still the same greasy spot. My GF likes to go there and I get dragged along sometimes. They do an Electric Circus night about once per month and it's pretty fun. They have the big sign up and they play projector vids of episodes.

Reactions: BonkTastic

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

Physically it is, the old Zaphod's owner sold it though. Last I heard sounded like some legal title transfer issues between him and the new owners. Haven't been since it changed to 27 Club though so no idea how it's changed.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad