Rod Brind'Amour - Steve Yzerman - Jarome Iginla
Rick Nash - Mike Modano - Marian Hossa
Marian Gaborik - Steven Stamkos - Owen Nolan

Ray Bourque - Chris Chelios
Larry Murphy - Teppo Numminen
Kimmo Timonen - Eric Desjardins

Turk Broda
Mike Liut

Any changes to the line-up: make them in the posts.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Special teams would be listed here if both teams provide them.

Otherwise, do so in your post.

(Likewise, indicate captaincy in your posts. If both teams do, then the standardized line-up op will be so updated.)

Note: The GM is not the coach. Imagine what the coach would do.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
an anecdote to show joel quenneville’s character and the impact he has on his players—

At the very end of the first period, Theo had gotten into a scrum with Blues tough guy Tyson Nash, and words were exchanged. Theo skated up to me after everything got broken up, and he was very emotional. You almost never see guys get emotional on the ice, but this was different.

“Kerry, he was talking about my drug problems,” Theo said. “He can’t talk to me like that. I’m really trying to clean up my life, Kerry. Honestly.”

He told me he hadn’t had a drink in X days, hadn’t done drugs in X days. I could tell that he was sincerely wounded. In that moment, I didn’t see the guy who threw his helmet at me and called me every name in the book over the years. I just saw a human being who was in a lot of pain, and I wanted to take his pain away.

But what was I supposed to do? I didn’t actually hear what was said. Do I kick Nash out for something I didn’t witness? How am I supposed to explain that in my game report? It was a gray area.

So as everyone was skating off the ice, I asked Theo, “What about an apology?”

Theo said, “An apology?”

“Yeah, an apology. If I get Tyson back here to apologize, promise me you won’t break a stick over his head.”

“O.K., deal.”

“Alright, come back and meet me at this spot before the next period.”

I went right to the visiting team’s coaches room to talk to Joel Quenneville, who was coaching the Blues at the time. I told him we had a little problem. I told him what was said. And I’ll never forget Joel’s face. He’s such a solid guy.

He said, “Do you want me to have Tyson take his gear off?”

I said, “No, I want him to apologize.”

Joel said, “Great idea,” and he went right into the locker room to talk to Tyson.

I skated out at the start of the second period. Theo came out of the tunnel and met me at the prearranged spot. Tyson entered the ice at the Zamboni entrance and skated around a bit. He was reluctant to come over. So I had to wave him over to join the party.

When Tyson got to us, his lip was actually quivering. You could tell he was deeply affected, perhaps even ashamed. He tapped Theo on the shin pad and gave a terrific apology.

“I want to wish you all the best in everything you have ahead of you,” he said.

Theo and Tyson shook hands.

I said, “Let’s play some hockey.”

And we played some hockey.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
To me, one of the big rescue moments of this League is @Johnny Engine taking over the Quebec GM duties- and playing out the "back game" well enough to leave me wondering what he could have done from a 50/50 position.

Forward lines for Quebec set up like 1/2/2a/3, which should make them easier to "roll" and keep everyone fresh, not least Béliveau, who happens to be the best player under the roof of the arena for either team.

My "favorite" Brampton line is Brind'Amour/Yzerman/Iginla, mostly because I think Iginla is undervalued, big-time. I am NOT a fan of Gilbert, out-of-position, on line 1.

Brampton has (among others) Messier and Chelios... so I think the discipline edge goes to Quebec. Don't know which Wingers will be tapped- but I see Quebec's PP1 including Karlsson, Kelly, and Béliveau. Damn.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'm going with these for my special teams:
PP1:
Beliveau
Karlamov - Cowley - Kelly
Karlsson

PP2:
Nedomansky
Boucher - Sedin - Kovalchuk
Patrick

PK1:
Lehtinen - Smith
Suter - Howe

PK2:
Boucher - Gustafsson
Brewer - Kelly

Beliveau is the captain (surprise!) Patrick and Getzlaf wear letters.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Imagine:

Coach Lemaire ignores the GM and shortens the bench to roll three lines and gets near 30-min. from each of four dmen in the series:

Brind'amour - Yzerman (A) - Lafleur
Messier (A) - Modano - Iginla
Nash - Stamkos - Hossa

Bourque (C) - Chelios
Murphy - Desjardins

Broda​

Bench for all but 5 min./game: Gilbert, Nolan, Gaborik, Numinem, Timonen.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
These are two of my favorite top pairings (outside of my own). I would take Bourque-Chelios, but Kelly-Howe is so good as well.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Imagine:

Coach Lemaire ignores the GM and shortens the bench to roll three lines and gets near 30-min. from each of four dmen in the series:

Brind'amour - Yzerman (A) - Lafleur
Messier (A) - Modano - Iginla
Nash - Stamkos - Hossa

Bourque (C) - Chelios
Murphy - Desjardins

Broda​

Bench for all but 5 min./game: Gilbert, Nolan, Gaborik, Numinem, Timonen.

I see what you're going for, but that's not really Lemaire's style though. He was definitely a coach who liked to use his entire bench, and often mixed and matched lines throughout the game.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Jere Lehtinen - Ryan Getzlaf - Bengt-Ake Gustafson

Ryan Suter - Erik Karlsson

re: bottom of the lineup, i'm not sure i love getzlaf with his footspeed on a checking line, but that third pair is magnificent. if i had to pair karlsson with one contemporary of his, it would 100% be ryan suter.

Marian Gaborik - Steven Stamkos - Owen Nolan

seems like three guys who all need someone to put the puck on their sticks. not sure which of them would be up to the task of distributing.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
seems like three guys who all need someone to put the puck on their sticks. not sure which of them would be up to the task of distributing.
Stamkos' playmaking has improved in recent years, but he's still primarily more of a trigger-man with a good pass rather than a playmaker that can shoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->