2019 OHL Draft Prospects

Jockularity

Jan 17, 2019
Having watched most of the young men playing in the GTHL, I find this list extremely biased towards the top 5-6 teams. I see many players who would easily be listed inside the top 50 skaters if they played for Don Mills or the Marlboros etc.. there’s a few kids on the HM list that should and will get drafted way above their ranking. Without mentioning any specific players, I see 3-4 who could get drafted in rounds 3-5 easily and be extremely talented players at the next level, especially a few of the D on that list. Good luck to all these young players as they continue to chase their dreams and I hope the scouts are watching some of these bottom feeders cause that’s where you’ll find the real talent. These are the kids that are playing without the “superstar” and making their teams better.
Well said, ot! I think it's easier for all of the scouting/ranking services (and there's a number of them) to gravitate towards teams in the greater Toronto area as well as the major tournaments. Players on teams in other areas just don't get the same number of viewings.

But like you said I do believe team scouting staff does view these teams and that's often where those hidden gems are. Peruse any OHL roster and it's revealing to see the rookies/picks that are on the roster. Usually, Round 1 is represented; however there will inevitably be a mid and late round pick. This talent just seems to rise to the surface when the opportunity presents itself...and those players grab it.

Jockularity

Jan 17, 2019
I wonder too how resources influence player development. Natural talent will always shine but do the teams with paid coaches/staff and that have more financial resources at their disposal have benefits with regards to the development of players?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
As promised, here is our OHL Prospect Profile for Dylan Gratton of the T1EHL's North Jersey Avalanche.

One of the most lethal two-way defenders in the 2003-born class, Gratton is an exceptional skater who is consistently deadly at both ends of the ice. Although he's committed to Penn State and will need at bolster his 6-foot, 160-pound frame, Gratton should hear his name called by an OHL team come the 2019 OHL Priority Selection regardless owing to his sky-high potential and devastating puck-skills.

Great work and thanks for sharing all this great info. I've read thru the whole thread quite a few times already.

otwinner

Jun 30, 2006
Toronto
I wonder too how resources influence player development. Natural talent will always shine but do the teams with paid coaches/staff and that have more financial resources at their disposal have benefits with regards to the development of players?

Not sure about development but I can guarantee you a team coached by Paul Coffee vs a team coached by John Smith will get all the attention and scouts.

It’s a corrupt system for sure and many of the real talents are overlooked. There has to be a better way but money talks .

GloryDays

Feb 15, 2019
Not sure about development but I can guarantee you a team coached by Paul Coffee vs a team coached by John Smith will get all the attention and scouts.

It’s a corrupt system for sure and many of the real talents are overlooked. There has to be a better way but money talks .
Not sure it's "corrupt" as maybe tilted. Affluent families that can afford the exhorbitant fees will do what they can for their kids.

Reactions: dirty12

otwinner

Jun 30, 2006
Toronto
Not sure it's "corrupt" as maybe tilted. Affluent families that can afford the exhorbitant fees will do what they can for their kids.

My point exactly, so is it about talent or is it about money?! It’s corrupt! You don’t think some of these coaches and scouts are making a little extra on the side?! I promise you, it’s happening.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I was reading about Brandt Clarke, defenseman for the Don Mills 2003 squad. Sounds like a great prospect? Does his style of play compare to any current defensemen out of curiosity? Also what exactly is his size? I've seen listings for 5'9 141 pounds but eliteprospects says 6'2 185. Obviously that's a huge difference.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
I was reading about Brandt Clarke, defenseman for the Don Mills 2003 squad. Sounds like a great prospect? Does his style of play compare to any current defensemen out of curiosity? Also what exactly is his size? I've seen listings for 5'9 141 pounds but eliteprospects says 6'2 185. Obviously that's a huge difference.

Without ever seeing him I always lean towards smaller of two ‘quotes ‘. Always amusing when central scouting releases midterm NHL draft rankings -where they actually go and measure prospects themselves- and almost every single kid is smaller than what is listed on OHL rosters. ..lol. Anyways size isn’t as important in today’s game as it used to...I’m more interested in Brandt Clarke’s wheels. His brother -while highly skilled in several areas-came into league with those very questions around skating and almost two seasons in, skating probably remains his most significant challenge heading into the NHL draft .

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Our 2019 OHL Cup Ranking for the month of February is now published!

With league playoffs in full swing, the Canada Games underway, and the OHL Cup now less than a month away, we've ranked the top-10 clubs set to compete for the 2018-19 season's most prestigious tournament. Included within February's ranking are five teams from the GTHL, three from the ETA, and one from each of Alliance and the SCTA. In terms of changes to the top-10, our list features one newcomer in the Halton Hurricanes -- a team whose consistent success this season must not go unnoticed.

We'll have a full-length preview of the 2019 OHL Cup before it gets underway on March 12th.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Clarke is a stellar prospect, he'll undoubtedly be made a top-five pick at the upcoming 2019 OHL Priority Selection barring any unforeseen changes to his future plans. In terms of a comparison to a current NHL player, we see similarities between Clarke and John Carlson of the Washington Capitals. However, Clarke is also similar in some respects to Morgan Reilly of the Toronto Maple Leafs -- like Reilly, Clarke is a fantastic skater who loves to rush the puck and generate offence from the blue line. As far as his size goes, we believe the 6-foot-2, 185-pound measurement to be accurate. Having seen Clarke play on numerous occasions this season, we have confidence in saying that his size will be no issue at the next-level.

Reactions: Gavin Chiasson

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

There's no way he's 6'2, 185. I would guess he's somewhere around 5'10/5'11 and 160

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Today, we've taken a moment to profile Isaac Enright of the Pembroke Lumber Kings.

One of the top defencemen eligible for the 2019 OHL Priority Selection, Enright plays a solid two-way game and is defined by his smooth skating stride and natural instincts while in possession of the puck. Of solid size, Enright plays with an edge and isn't afraid to mix things up physically when necessary. In short, Enright is a defender who should draw a whack of attention come this year's OHL Draft.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Landon Cato of the GTHL's Toronto Young Nationals is a sizeable two-way defender who plays with a competitive edge. Although committed to UMass Amherst of the NCAA, Cato's strength and skating abilities will make him a highly sought after prospect come the 2019 OHL Priority Selection.

Read Cato's full prospect profile, below:

Reactions: Gavin Chiasson

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
With the 2019 OHL Priority Selection looming, we've profiled one of the most promising defenders competing within the ETA this season. Jacob Holmes -- a standout two-way defender for the York Simcoe Express -- has garnered the attention of scouts throughout the GTA owing to his stellar intelligence and composure with the puck. Boasting a growing offensive game alongside natural defensive instincts, Holmes could prove to be a steal in the 2019 OHL Draft if selected outside of the third round.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
My point exactly, so is it about talent or is it about money?! It’s corrupt! You don’t think some of these coaches and scouts are making a little extra on the side?! I promise you, it’s happening.

OHL teams don’t follow a rankings list when they draft. If a player is good enough, they will be noticed and it doesn’t matter where they play. Scouts may only need to see them play once.

GloryDays

Feb 15, 2019
Not sure I agree, cag. That may be the case for upper echelon players but there are always some that get overlooked, "late bloomers", have an "off" draft year, etc.... That's why I started that other "Undrafted thread". For those kids to get a second chance at being noticed what level is best to play? Again, does say midget draw more attention/recognition than junior c?

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Not sure I agree, cag. That may be the case for upper echelon players but there are always some that get overlooked, "late bloomers", have an "off" draft year, etc.... That's why I started that other "Undrafted thread". For those kids to get a second chance at being noticed what level is best to play? Again, does say midget draw more attention/recognition than junior c?

We’re talking about the draft here. If a player has an off year than they clearly aren’t ready for the draft. Late bloomers will be noticed wherever they play. That is if they actually become a late bloomer. If you think your son isn’t ready then don’t become fixated on the draft and focus on NCAA. OHL isn’t the end all be all and isn’t for everyone. It’s for current superstars like you’re saying.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
What is the likelihood of Wright reporting to Flint?

My understanding of the exceptional status rule is that the player has to agree to report to the team that drafts him. I may have that wrong but I thought it was stated when the rule was first put into effect.

Reactions: dirty12

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
My understanding of the exceptional status rule is that the player has to agree to report to the team that drafts him. I may have that wrong but I thought it was stated when the rule was first put into effect.
How can they make him report? Couldn’t he just tell the team to not draft him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->