2019 OHL Draft Prospects

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Today, take a moment to meet Ryan Gillespie of the GTHL's Toronto Red Wings.

Although overshadowed by both Francesco Pinelli and Adam Fantilli, Gillespie is quietly evolving into a sound, two-way forward who can impact the game at both ends of the ice. With speed to burn and natural playmaking abilities in-hand, Gillespie could prove to be a mid-round steal come the 2019 OHL Draft.

Reactions: three dog night

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
For those of you with a particular interest in the GTHL's crop of OHL Draft eligible players, here were our top-five performers from the recent GTHL Top Prospects Game. Shane Wright of the Don Mills Flyers took home MVP honours for his team, while Ryan Del Monte of the Toronto Nationals secured the distinction for his club.

listro

Dec 12, 2018
For those of you with a particular interest in the GTHL's crop of OHL Draft eligible players, here were our top-five performers from the recent GTHL Top Prospects Game. Shane Wright of the Don Mills Flyers took home MVP honours for his team, while Ryan Del Monte of the Toronto Nationals secured the distinction for his club.

I'm actually shocked you don't have Sam Moncada higher than just Honourable mention. His big saves in the 3rd were the only reason the DMF line hadn't tied it before the last minute. No chance on Team Clark-W-C 2nd goal and a relentless effort on the 3rd where if he had simply been 4 inches taller (he's a very small goalie), he'd have stopped it. You're at a GTHL Prospects game, and get a standing ovation for stellar goaltending... Del Monte wouldn't have had the chance to score the winner, had Moncada not saved the shot that even the shooter thought went in. I do agree with most of your picks otherwise though, Wright was his everyday self wasn't the best player on the ice (doesn't happen very often). I love Arnsby, but I think everyone should have moved down a slot and Moncada should have been top performer. My two cents.

Also, thanks for getting me in the second picture. Top left corner, "Dart Guy" up there too.

Reactions: Prospect Pipeline

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Get to know Kaleb Nelson, a dynamic centre for the York Simcoe Express who consistently produces offence as both a sniper and a playmaker. One of the top scorers in the ETA, Nelson displays high-end hockey sense at both ends of the ice and is a quick and agile skater. Despite a modest frame, he is able to control the puck against larger opponents with confidence and is able to slip back into soft spots in order to make himself a dangerous passing option. With an accurate and lightning-quick release to his snap shot, Nelson is able to beat goaltenders with clean looks and has been moving up the rankings of late as a result.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Today we're taking a moment to learn more about Don Mills Flyers defenceman Paul Christopoulos.

Although somewhat overlooked given his presence within arguably the best minor midget roster in the world, Christopoulos' booming shot, impressive strength, and offensive upside combine to make him one of the most promising blueliners eligible for the 2019 OHL Priority Selection.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
It's time to unveil our 2019 OHL Cup Ranking for the month of December.

In this month's edition, two new teams have cracked the top-10 overall owing to their superb and consistent play over the past month, while two tireless competitors have slipped slightly out of the top-10. Once again, the GTHL is well represented within the top-10, as the league's five best teams have claimed places within our latest ranking. Meanwhile, each of Alliance and ETA hockey boast two representatives who could prove to be fierce competition come the OHL Cup, while the SCTA is represented by a single team in the Niagara North Stars (10).

See below for the full ranking, which features in-depth coverage of each team's past month of play.

Reactions: ohloutsider

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Today's OHL Prospect Profile delves into the abilities of Toronto Marlboros forward Jack Beck.

Of solid size, Beck is a tremendous skater whose shifty and agile nature allows him to navigate the ice with ease. Further, owing to his impressive vision, Beck is a deadly playmaker who can set up his equally talented teammates for tap-in goals.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Our latest prospect profile revolves around Huron-Perth Lakers forward Camden Daigle, a diminutive yet shifty winger competing in Alliance who boasts stellar vision and a devastating shot. As consistent and creative as they come, Daigle could be one of the most overlooked offensive players come the 2019 OHL Priority Selection.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
The third of what could be the NHL's next great trio of brothers, Luke Hughes is a smooth skating, puck moving defenceman who displays excellent sense of the ice and intelligence through his decision-making. With a high ceiling of offensive potential, Luke projects as two-way defender who can benefit his team at both ends of the ice. Of course, all likelihood points to Luke following in Quinn and Jack's footsteps by joining the US National Development Program next year en route to an NCAA career. In any case, he remains a top-tier defenceman for the 2019 OHL Draft.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
The 2018 Toronto Marlboros Holiday Classic Tournament begins today, and will feature a jaw-dropping 60 of North America's top minor midget teams. As one of the 2018-19 season's most significant tournaments, the Marlboros Holiday Classic will afford scouts with the opportunity to view the vast majority of the 2019 OHL Draft's top prospects in three related venues.

To begin our coverage of the tournament, here is a lengthy preview which not only highlights the event's top-five challengers but 10 honourable mentions as well.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
The 2018 Toronto Marlboros Holiday Classic Tournament begins today, and will feature a jaw-dropping 60 of North America's top minor midget teams. As one of the 2018-19 season's most significant tournaments, the Marlboros Holiday Classic will afford scouts with the opportunity to view the vast majority of the 2019 OHL Draft's top prospects in three related venues.

To begin our coverage of the tournament, here is a lengthy preview which not only highlights the event's top-five challengers but 10 honourable mentions as well.

You don't have the 2 Ottawa teams ranked but I think they could surprise a few teams....

otwinner

Jun 30, 2006
Toronto
Watched a few games yesterday. 2 standout players for me played for the North York Rangers #22 big power forward, who uses his body well and has a lethal shot and DMan #3,Extremely smart player, never out of position, great vision from the back line and smooth skater. Both these guys stand well over 6’ and should be on the radar of many scouts.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

How did you not include Gentry? They’ve beaten The Chicago Mission 3 times, lost only one game this season, and are ranked as the top U-15 team in the U.S. Either way, they’re running through the tourney. They should beat Don Mills tomorrow and win it in the afternoon.

Last edited:

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
The 2018 Toronto Marlboros Holiday Classic is in the books, and the Don Mills Flyers are this year's champion. However, it wasn't easy for the Flyers, who were forced into overtime by the Toronto Nationals before a goal by Shane Wright secured Don Mills' third tournament victory of the 2018-19 campaign.

For a full recap of the championship game as well as select video highlights, click here:

Reactions: Garyboy

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Kudos to the Don Mills Flyers. I thought Gentry’s slippery forwardsand transition game would be too much for the Flyers, but the Flyers showed tremendous composure after the Galaxy jumped out to the early 2-0 lead. Great game between the two best u-15 teams in North America.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Kudos to the Don Mills Flyers. I thought Gentry’s slippery forwardsand transition game would be too much for the Flyers, but the Flyers showed tremendous composure after the Galaxy jumped out to the early 2-0 lead. Great game between the two best u-15 teams in North America.
We couldn't agree more. From start to finish, the Holiday Classic was an exceptional event which provided scouts and fans alike ample opportunity to view the best young talent in the hockey world.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
The Toronto Marlboros Holiday Classic was a spectacular tournament, and featured a wealth of highly touted OHL Draft eligible prospects. Whether they came from Canada or the United States, each and every team present put on an incredible display of ability while showcasing their unique individual skill-sets in the process.

Here are, in alphabetical order, the top-20 performers from the annual Toronto Marlboros Holiday Classic Tournament.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The Toronto Marlboros Holiday Classic was a spectacular tournament, and featured a wealth of highly touted OHL Draft eligible prospects. Whether they came from Canada or the United States, each and every team present put on an incredible display of ability while showcasing their unique individual skill-sets in the process.

Here are, in alphabetical order, the top-20 performers from the annual Toronto Marlboros Holiday Classic Tournament.

I've only mildly followed this thread and your posts so far this year but in a few months your input is going to help make this the most valuable draft thread I've seen in the last 5 years. Probably the OHL thread I check on the most too. Thanks. Your addition to posters like Danuerism and others really helps out those of us that can't really follow MM. Out of curiosity, has anybody got a decent chance to see Honeybaked this year? I was wondering about opinions on their D core.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
2019 OHL Draft Ranking

Today, we released our January OHL Draft Ranking.

In this month's edition, we feature the Top-160 prospects eligible for the 2019 OHL Priority Selection, as well as 15 honourable mentions. Further, there are over 40 Prospect Profiles linked to play names within the ranking.

2019 OHL Draft Ranking: January’s Top-160

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
I've only mildly followed this thread and your posts so far this year but in a few months your input is going to help make this the most valuable draft thread I've seen in the last 5 years. Probably the OHL thread I check on the most too. Thanks. Your addition to posters like Danuerism and others really helps out those of us that can't really follow MM. Out of curiosity, has anybody got a decent chance to see Honeybaked this year? I was wondering about opinions on their D core.
Thanks so much for the kind words, they're always appreciated! Everyone is better off when there is open conversation and debates on prospects, to be able to get the most information and opinions out there. On Honeybaked's D, we really like Trevor Mitchell and Austin Clark from the 16U team. On the 15U squad, we liked the play of Carson Beattie and Jake Mullins, two guys who can play a solid shutdown role but also move the puck effectively.

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
2019 OHL Draft Ranking

In this month's edition, we feature the Top-160 prospects eligible for the 2019 OHL Priority Selection, as well as 15 honourable mentions. Further, there are over 40 Prospect Profiles linked to play names within the ranking.

I'm curious if you've ever witnessed so many prospects from the same team in the top 20?

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
2012 Priority Selection - Toronto Marlboros (96's)

3 in Top 5
4 Top 10
5 in Top 12

1. McDavid
2 McKeown
5. Ho Sang
9 Bennett
12 Addison

Reactions: nofriendsinhockey

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Today, we take a closer look at one of the premier defenceman available for the 2019 OHL Draft. Wil Murphy of the Kingston Jr. Frontenacs is a dynamic, 2-way D-man with tremendous offensive upside. An intelligent player, Murphy is an excellent decision-maker at both ends of the ice. He can be relied upon in all situations and consistently makes a difference on offence and defence. Playing at over a point-per-game rate in the ETA, Murphy has all the tools to become an effective player at the OHL level.

otwinner

Jun 30, 2006
Toronto
2019 OHL Draft Ranking

Great to see these rankings after an exceptional tournament. Congrats to Don Mills on another Title.

I’ve previously posted about 2 young players that were exceptional and neither made this list.

North York Rangers
#22 Big strong Russian forward. Skates well. Unbelievable release. And easily the strongest kid on the ice most games.

#3 Extremely smart, stay at home DMan, with great vision, skates very well and moves the puck well. Instinctive and as reliable as any on the back end.

Keep on eye on these 2. Both big boys and both are sleepers and overlooked by many. Spoke with one scout during their 2nd game of the tournament and he was also extremely impressed by both and had several positive things to say. I’d be shocked if these 2 don’t go somewhere or slowly make their way in to the top 150.

Good luck to all these young men as they chase their dreams and kudos to all the parents that make it happen.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Took in the Tier 1 Elite League showcase here in Cleveland this weekend and some standouts from the 03 birth year were very noticeable. For many of these players it isn't my first time viewing them.

Saw scouts from the Erie Otters/Spitfires/Knights/ and Kitchener Rangers.

North Jersey Avalanche U16:
This was the best team here. The way they play and move the puck was great to watch. Being a Flint fan it was nice to see Brandon Chabrier who is a Flint pick. Very very smooth with the puck and sends lasers of a pass through the neutral zone. Very good one on one defensively too. But more importantly is who he played D with...
D - Dylan Gratton (Penn State) - I don't think this kid gets talked about on here but he's easily one of the best D men south of the border in the 03 birth year. First noticed him at the Select 15's and he's done nothing to change my mind that if he wanted to go the OHL route he'd be in the top 10 conversation. Makes great outlet passes, great active stick, can get up and go and use head fakes to get around the opposition. Can be agressive and close the gap on people too. Just so solid and reliable in every facet.
F Jeremy Wilmer (BU) - Had 10 pts in 4 games here. Think he's from NJ so OHL Draft eligible. Put up 73 pts in 21 games as a bantam last year and he was better than Colby Saganiuk here. Wasn't my first viewing of either of them also. Colby might be a tad better in his own end, but WIlmer was electrifying all weekend and did strip some pucks defensively. Had a play where at full speed he passed the puck between his own legs to his team mate on a 2 on 1. Always has his head up and flies through the neutral zone, anyone can receive a pass from him at any time and his vision cross ice is very very good. Put up points every game and no one was able to shut him down. Very dangerous player.
F Devin Kaplan (BU) (2004 birth year) - I know Seamus Casey and Tyler Duke of Compuware are very good from the 04's but I had to mention him on here as he might be the best 04 in the country. He and Jeremy Wilmer were the best forwards here and when I saw he was an 04 I was shocked. He has great size/speed/hands/ and a very good shot. Able to keep up with the pace of Wilmer and pretty creative offensively too. Had a few plays where he received the puck along the half wall, picked his head up and made a great area pass into the neutral zone for a breakout. Lots of scouts were talking about him.
Buffalo Jr Sabres
D Michael Bevilacqua (Northeastern) -
He has a great shot from the point, can walk the line and let a wrister go that beats traffic. Gaps very nicely on the opposition and can poke pucks free and get the game going north. Intercepts passes in the neutral zone and can be a key player on the back end in junior hockey. Not as good as Gratton but was good here.
D Tyler Procious - Wanted to see a more complete game from him after the Select 15's and he has improved. He gets pucks going north, holds the line well and shows more confidence with the puck on his stick. Challenged a few guys and deked around one of them. Can slip into open areas on the offensive zone and generate scoring chances. Will need some seasoning but someone that shouldn't be passed on after the 2nd or 3rd round being an American.
Anthony Agostinelli - Sees the ice well and distributes the puck quickly. Want to see him shoot the puck more but he had a few good setups for his team mates. Able to escape with the puck along the half wall and in the corners and find the open man at the point. Was good here but not great.
Pittsburgh Pens Elite U16
Colby Saganiuk -
Elite speed and hockey IQ. For sure one of the best forwards in the 03 birth year. A threat to score whenever he's on the ice. Was shut down by the North Jersey Avs this morning but I've seen him multiple times and he didn't do anything to hurt himself here. When he gets going he's very tough to keep up with and he protects the puck very well. He has a strong lower body and explodes through guys. Able to take the puck around the zone and find the open guy with a hard crisp pass.
D Carter Schade - I think he's better than Bevilacqua of Buffalo. He holds the line really well and able to walk the line and find the open lane or pass the puck off. Responsible in his own zone and is somebody that is used in important moments of the game.
F Jackson Morehouse - Plays on the 2nd line and has very good vision. Knows when to skate with the puck and when to set his team mates up. I'd like to see him be a bit more selfish and shoot more. But he's a name worth remembering from this birth year.
Philly Jr. Flyers
Two players worth mentioning are forwards Cam Bergeman and Kenny Connors.
Bergeman - Scored a goal vs Buffalo where he chipped it past the D man and took a shot. Got his own rebound and buried. Had a setup from the side of the net on another play later on.
Kenny Connors - Showed a good physical presence, not afraid to go to the dirty areas, has under rated passing ability but needs some work before the next level.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad