Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm pretty shocked he won't go to Minny but he's open to coming here.

He's basically from there (Wisconsin) and played there in college, so the lifestyle wouldn't be much of an adjustment, especially compared to Pittsburgh. He and Boudreau could have hotdog eating contests after practice. And it's not like the Wild are in any worse of position than us right now. We're pretty similar.

Tocchet must be a helluva guy to play for. Some serious pull here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What's the value in moving down from 14th to 21st? Is that worth roughly a 2nd rounder, or thereabouts? The Penguins don't currently have a 2nd rounder. So maybe we offer to switch 1sts with them, which represents one 2nd rounder worth of value. Then maybe we offer them our 2nd rounder. Bringing the price for Kessel now to the value of roughly two 2nd round picks. Does Christian Fischer put it over the top? He's worth roughly a 2nd, I would think. So somewhere around three 2nd round picks for Kessel? Looking something like this:

To PIT:
14th overall
45th overall
Christian Fischer

To ARI:
21st overall
Phil Kessel

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If we can get him cheap I hope Barroway realizes that it would be incredibly stupid not to aquire him due to budget resistants. He would probably get a good chunk of his salary back if we make the playoffs and increase ticket sales, which goes hand in hand with selling the team.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Interesting. Maybe the small number of suitors that are actually on Phil's list will drop the acquisition cost a bit.
Most of the time when a player must submit a list it is actually teams that would not trade for them essentially making their no trade lust the whole League. As an example let's say Kessel puts Toronto, Philly, Boston, Winnipeg, Tampa, Chicago, Vegas, and San Jose on his list. That kinda means he gets to decide where he goes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Most of the time when a player must submit a list it is actually teams that would not trade for them essentially making their no trade lust the whole League. As an example let's say Kessel puts Toronto, Philly, Boston, Winnipeg, Tampa, Chicago, Vegas, and San Jose on his list. That kinda means he gets to decide where he goes.
Right. I meant his actual go list. Like the one in his head.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Right. I meant his actual go list. Like the one in his head.
In theory but if you are the player that a team tells the world they don't want his list will expand. And if he made a critical error and he can go somewhere he might not actually want to go to....he has an incentive to accept others. I don't see Phil wanting to be any team's centerpiece.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
With the Isle signing Nelson and Lee my new aquisition list in order of preference looks like:
Kessel
Zucker
Eberle
Hoffman

Zucker and Eberle are close. The ability to get Eberle without giving up assets makes him very appealing. Zucker's contract and overall skillset wins though.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Blowing this thread up apparently haha.

What does a three way deal with Minnesota and Pittsburgh look like for Kessel?

To AZ:
Phil the thrill

To Pitt:
Zucker

To Wild:
Fischer
AZ 2nd
Pitt 2nd

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Blowing this thread up apparently haha.

What does a three way deal with Minnesota and Pittsburgh look like for Kessel?

To AZ:
Phil the thrill

To Pitt:
Zucker

To Wild:
Fischer
AZ 2nd
Pitt 2nd
So Pitt saves just over a million and gets worse??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Minnesota would absolutely trade Zucker for Fischer and two 2nds. No doubt.
Minnesota needs scoring, why would they give up a guy who gets twice as many points for a couple of maybe draft picks??

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minnesota needs scoring, why would they give up a guy who gets twice as many points for a couple of maybe draft picks??
Minnesota's got tons of left-shot forwards and one righty (Kunin), and the players Fenton's rumored to have targeted in a Zucker deal are all either RW's or centers. My guess is he'd like someone more proven than Fischer, but it'd be similar to the bets he's already made with Fiala and Donato: a young guy that's shown an ability to score goals in the NHL and may take a step forward with a new team.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Minnesota's got tons of left-shot forwards and one righty (Kunin), and the players Fenton's rumored to have targeted in a Zucker deal are all either RW's or centers. My guess is he'd like someone more proven than Fischer, but it'd be similar to the bets he's already made with Fiala and Donato: a young guy that's shown an ability to score goals in the NHL and may take a step forward with a new team.
Fiala is Significantly better than Fischer right now. And Donato was a low risk try for a pending UFA.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
And Pitt makes the trade because of the cap dump and receiving an adequate top 6 forward in return that they likely wouldn't be receiving outside of this deal
No chance Pitt downgrades for a $1.3 savings and just over half the production. They would be a worse team with little money to improve.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fiala is Significantly better than Fischer right now. And Donato was a low risk try for a pending UFA.
Coyle has a year left on his deal and there seemed to be pretty broad interest in him.

Fiala's better than Fischer, but Granlund's better than Zucker. Granlund having a year left vs Zucker's four muddies things a little, but the adds from Arizona would be to close whatever gap is left.

Bottom line though: we were within a hair's breadth of trading Zucker for Frolik+#26 at the deadline. I don't think Fischer+ is far off from that, though I guess a lot depends on one's thoughts on Fischer. Y'all would know better than me on that one.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Pitt gives up an 80 pt player and a 2nd for a 50 pt player to save $1.3 million, I doubt it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Pitt gives up an 80 pt player and a 2nd for a 50 pt player to save $1.3 million, I doubt it.

Dude, just because you are still upset that the Leafs didn't get the 80-90 point-cup winning Kessel for the return TOR got doesn't mean you need to get so jealous that AZ may be able to get him for less than his market value. You understand that Pittsburgh wants to move on from Kessel but also wants a now player in return right? They aren't in a retool, Minnesota is.

The GM's have already agreed to Zucker and Rask for Kessel and Johnson. The hold-up is Kessel, not the Penguins.

I feel like this is the back up plan for Phil. So if JJ/Rask needs to be involved I wonder if in a three way deal those two pieces can still move to the corresponding teams. Otherwise maybe KConn can be added to help balance out cap/contract issues.

I worry that Zucker's cap is too close to Kessel's to make enough of a difference. Remember, Toronto is retaining.

Pittsburgh needs to move Kessel's salary/cap to have the room to add another top six winger. They are doing that in this situation, they move Kessel, save some money and add a younger player who has a similar game to Hornqvist. This seems ideal for them. They can then try to move JJ or Maata if they want to improve in other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->