Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I want Kessel but am thinking if the Wild offer something around Zucker that's better than what we can offer up. I think Kessel would waive for Minnesota too.

Damn. Looks like this may be the case according to The Athletic:

The Penguins and Minnesota Wild have a trade proposal on the table with Phil Kessel as the centerpiece, numerous sources confirmed to The Athletic.

It is believed Jason Zucker, the speedy Wild forward who scored 76 goals the past three seasons, would be part of the deal. Minnesota made it clear to other franchises that Zucker, 27, is available.

The Penguins and Wild also discussed a couple of players with long-term contracts in Jack Johnson and Victor Rask.

However, numerous sources confirmed that Kessel is unsure if he wants to play in Minnesota. He did research on Minnesota and the Wild during the past week, the sources said. Kessel is very close friends with Ryan Suter. Both are natives of Madison, Wisconsin, and played internationally together for Team USA.

Another potential team in this mix is the Arizona Coyotes. Kessel would be welcome to playing there under coach Rick Tocchet, who had a strong working relationship during Tocchet’s time as an assistant coach with the Penguins. However, the ownership situation in Arizona is currently holding the Coyotes out of making an offer.

Penguins, Wild in trade talks revolving around Phil Kessel

Don't do it, Phil. Don't waive for Minny :)

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Really hope Chayka can find a deal for Bracco somehow. Kids a bit of a d**k apparently (haven't heard anything about him as a teammate though) but there is no denying his playmaking, puck skills and skating ability and he should be ready to make the jump to the NHL next year. Might be tough to get him considering Toronto is going to likely want his entry level deal next year though.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Pierre LeBrun with the extinguisher on twitter:

"What I'm hearing: Kessel at the moment is not leaning towards waiving his NTC to go to Minnesota but that doesn't mean it ultimately couldn't happen eventually. However, there are a few clubs on his 8-team YES list that have contacted Pittsburgh so we'll see where that goes..."

Antonche

Jan 13, 2015
Russia, Siberia.
My plan.
Trade Dvorak+Fischer for Zucker
Trade 14ov+future considerations for Kessel
Trade Chychrun for Zaytsev

Zucker - Schmaltz - Keller
Galchenyuk - Hayton - Kessel
Grabner - Stepan - Hinostroza
Crouse - Richardson - Garland/Archibald/Cousins

OEL - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski/Capobianco - Zaytsev
Oesterle/Connauton - Demers

Raanta
Kuemper

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My plan.

Zucker - Schmaltz - Keller
Galchenyuk - Hayton - Kessel
Grabner - Stepan - Hinostroza
Crouse - Richardson - Garland/Archibald/Cousins

OEL - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski/Capobianco - Zaytsev
Oesterle/Connauton - Demers

Raanta
Kuemper
Holy mother of god. No. No. No.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My plan.
:help: That is a 1 for 3 for me (the Kessel deal has been talked about a lot and that is less payment than generally agreed on) but the 2 deals are really bad IMO.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
This is the second summer in a row where Minny has been connected to Dvorak. I have no interest in moving Dvorak. Zero.

He's a Maloney draft pick and we still haven't seen enough (because of his age and the injury) to know what he's going to be. He's also the only young center we have in the organization ready to play. I think that means he's as good as gone in Chayka analytics speak. Good thing he got hurt or he wouldn't have the fat contract.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Dvorak should be 100% untouchable.

I watched him prior to his draft year and thought he was fantastic. A 1st round sleeper. Then in his draft year instead of breaking out offensively, he broke his knee. His pre-draft year was impressive enough that he still got selected in the 2nd rounder despite missing the season with injury.

Then he exploded. Set the OHL on fire. He put up 41g and 68a for 109pts in just 61gp. The next season, as captain of the Knights, he reduced the OHL to ashes with 52g 69a 121pts in just 59gp and leading his team to the Memorial Cup championship. Also took home bronze for team USA at the WJC that year, not a big deal.

His pro career starts with a god awful NHL team, coached by a hard assed coach in Dave Tippett who is infamous for his disdain for younger players. Dvorak immediately became one of the most reliable centers on the team. The next season, with a brand new coach and new system, he had no sophomore slump, didn’t take a step back and managed to continue to be a pivotal part of the forward group, as one of the most responsible and dependable of the squad.

This year, just when we all thought he was poised to break out, he tore his pectoral muscle and missed the whole season.

The Coyotes suck at drafting and developing. They almost never get lucky. Christian Dvorak has the makings of being a 2nd round steal. I see him as a discount Toews. I see a perennial 55pt center who’s the best defensive forward on his team. That’s largely projection as he’s only 23 years old. But I think he can do it.

A team like the Coyotes who have never had any decent centers and have always sucked at drafting and have basically been a crap team their entire existence can’t trade Dvorak. They just can’t.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Dvorak should be 100% untouchable.

I watched him prior to his draft year and thought he was fantastic. A 1st round sleeper. Then in his draft year instead of breaking out offensively, he broke his knee. His pre-draft year was impressive enough that he still got selected in the 2nd rounder despite missing the season with injury.

Then he exploded. Set the OHL on fire. He put up 41g and 68a for 109pts in just 61gp. The next season, as captain of the Knights, he reduced the OHL to ashes with 52g 69a 121pts in just 59gp and leading his team to the Memorial Cup championship. Also took home bronze for team USA at the WJC that year, not a big deal.

His pro career starts with a god awful NHL team, coached by a hard assed coach in Dave Tippett who is infamous for his disdain for younger players. Dvorak immediately became one of the most reliable centers on the team. The next season, with a brand new coach and new system, he had no sophomore slump, didn’t take a step back and managed to continue to be a pivotal part of the forward group, as one of the most responsible and dependable of the squad.

This year, just when we all thought he was poised to break out, he tore his pectoral muscle and missed the whole season.

The Coyotes suck at drafting and developing. They almost never get lucky. Christian Dvorak has the makings of being a 2nd round steal. I see him as a discount Toews. I see a perennial 55pt center who’s the best defensive forward on his team. That’s largely projection as he’s only 23 years old. But I think he can do it.

A team like the Coyotes who have never had any decent centers and have always sucked at drafting and have basically been a crap team their entire existence can’t trade Dvorak. They just can’t.
Sounds like the only reasonable thing to do is trade him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So how much of. A further discount does Pitts have to take on Kessel when Phil doesn't waive his NTC. I'd be offering a swap of picks (14 for 21), partially retained Goligoski and a prospect. Lowball city.

Dvorak may be my favourite player on this team. Last year was awful. He's ready to take a step up and make Stepan expendable by deadline.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Dvorak is my breakout player for next season. 20+ goals and 30+ assists and being that integral 200 foot player. I have tempered my expectations for him offensively since he graduated from the OHL. There he anchored one of the most dominant lines in Canadian Junior history - turns out he was the third best player on that line. Still, a super smart hockey player that will keep getting better (needs to avoid the injury prone label now).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So how much of. A further discount does Pitts have to take on Kessel when Phil doesn't waive his NTC. I'd be offering a swap of picks (14 for 21), partially retained Goligoski and a prospect. Lowball city.

Dvorak may be my favourite player on this team. Last year was awful. He's ready to take a step up and make Stepan expendable by deadline.
Do you really think Stepan gets traded with RT as coach? Stepan is RT's fav. I hope Stepan can bounce back AND we trade him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Do you really think Stepan gets traded with RT as coach? Stepan is RT's fav. I hope Stepan can bounce back AND we trade him.
The thought intrigues me.

I think Chayka has a philosophy that is pretty rigid in terms of not being afraid to walk away from forwards at x age so I’m very curious how this plays out.

I actually really like Stepan as a player though and I think he is a leader in the locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->