Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I see Hinostroza is missing fro a lot of the projected lines .. I wouldn't want to lose him , he is money in shootouts.

He is great in every way.

Do we know if the RFAs have been given qualifying offers?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Disagree. Morgan knew what he was doing there. Surprising move considering all the angst over the ownership stuff since 2009. I'd add too that he is a reporter (at least on that account), not a Twitterhead like everybody else.

The good news is we're not about to be owned by that drunken fool.

And reporters aren't allowed to have fun??? Hate to disappoint you but I follow several and they all pull the occasional prank. There's a running joke about Coyotes news always happening when Morgan goes on vacation. Craig gets hit with it all the time and takes it in stride so he's entitled to have some fun of his own.

Mos.... you're taking this way way too seriously. Without that "drunken fool" this franchise would probably be playing somewhere else right now.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Ottawa seems like the perfect dumping ground for Connauton. Right now they have 5 defensemen under contract for a total of 4.4 mil. He'd actually be their highest paid defenseman at 1.4 mil (until they re-sign Ceci).

So Hossa plus Connauton plus something of mid-range value for nothing.
Ottawa won't have an interest in Connauton. As LD, Ottawa has: Chabot; Brannstrom; Boro; Harpur; Lajoie; Wolannin. Chabot and Brannstrom will be elite players and Wolanin would be a top 4 PMD. Lajoie played the majority of the year, until injury, in the NHL.

Ottawa has a lot of 2nd, 3rd line prospects so we wouldn't be looking at B prospects or worse to take on Hossa's cap hit.

14OA + Hossa for 19OA
or
Hossa + 2019 2nd + 2020 3rd

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ohhh. No. Rubber stamp the rebuild, clean out the garbage, and actually find a billionaire partner? Barroway has been great. Only issue is he needs two more zeroes at the end of his net worth. Glad he will get to stay on as a minority owner and make a little on his investment hopefully.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ohhh. No. Rubber stamp the rebuild, clean out the garbage, and actually find a billionaire partner? Barroway has been great. Only issue is he needs two more zeroes at the end of his net worth. Glad he will get to stay on as a minority owner and make a little on his investment hopefully.

I mean, if Meruelo ends up panning out for us, Barroway will have done exactly what a lot of people expected he was brought in to do - housecleaning, station keeping, and then flipping the team when the right guy got found. You could almost look at Barroway as Bettman's "fixer" - he came in right when IceArizona started proving themselves to be the lackadaisical pretenders they were rumored to be, carved them off the franchise's back like a dermatologist lasering off a skin tag, and set things up for someone new to take the reins.

The good news for us is that we've all seen what Tom Dundon did for Carolina, under very similar circumstances - an outsider with tons of wealth who shouldn't have any organic interest in a particular franchise, coming in and taking over and leading the team not only to its best season in a while, but also establishing a Don-Cherry-infuriating new identity that became the darling of the league. Maybe Meruelo can do that for us; if he does, we have Barroway to thank for it being possible.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
This works. Probably have to send back an AHL body our way so it passes the smell test. An RFA minor leaguer like Adam Tambellini would be even better so we're not necessarily locked into a contract.
not sure about Tambellini, as he provides depth for the AHL team. Pretty sure Jim O'Brien is not on their radar anymore.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The speculation is gonna be nuts here if Chayka clears the 6 mil in Hossa cap before making another move.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's no secret that I am a lifelong Leaf's fan but most of my watching these days are the Coyotes. The talk out of Toronto all year is upgrading D, getting Cap relief, and lately the need to upgrade the backup to someone who can play roughly 30 games. No matter how they want to approach it Toronto will have to give up some assets to continue forward. They have a few players that are engines in the new NHL so I find myself wondering how the Coyotes can be the beneficiary of a move??? Players probably available in Toronto in some combination are Marleau, Zaitsev, Kadri, Brown, Hyman, Kapanen, Sparks, and Johnsson.

I'm very comfortable with our goalies as is but would you consider doing Keumper, a 2nd pairing D, and a cost controlled winger for some combination of the Leaf's suggested available players? I think Marleau at minimum must be included. Personally I think Zaitsev is actually going to earn his money in his next destination but It's ok to disagree. Kadri is the piece I want in a deal but what else??

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's no secret that I am a lifelong Leaf's fan but most of my watching these days are the Coyotes. The talk out of Toronto all year is upgrading D, getting Cap relief, and lately the need to upgrade the backup to someone who can play roughly 30 games. No matter how they want to approach it Toronto will have to give up some assets to continue forward. They have a few players that are engines in the new NHL so I find myself wondering how the Coyotes can be the beneficiary of a move??? Players probably available in Toronto in some combination are Marleau, Zaitsev, Kadri, Brown, Hyman, Kapanen, Sparks, and Johnsson.

I'm very comfortable with our goalies as is but would you consider doing Keumper, a 2nd pairing D, and a cost controlled winger for some combination of the Leaf's suggested available players? I think Marleau at minimum must be included. Personally I think Zaitsev is actually going to earn his money in his next destination but It's ok to disagree. Kadri is the piece I want in a deal but what else??
Absolutely not.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd give up Goligoski and take Marleau if Kadri was coming this way. Otherwise none of the other "sweetners" rumoured would convince me to take Marleau and move something of value.
We are a terrible fit for Zaitsev.

Marleau and Johnsson/Kapanen
And we ship out KConn, who the Leafs might use.

Marleau and Kadri
Goligoski

If you want Kuemper, Goligoski, and Fischer,
I'd want Kadri and Johnsson/Kapanen+ if we're taking back Marleau.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'd give up Goligoski and take Marleau if Kadri was coming this way. Otherwise none of the other "sweetners" rumoured would convince me to take Marleau and move something of value.
We are a terrible fit for Zaitsev.

Marleau and Johnsson/Kapanen
And we ship out KConn, who the Leafs might use.

Marleau and Kadri
Goligoski

If you want Kuemper, Goligoski, and Fischer,
I'd want Kadri and Johnsson/Kapanen+ if we're taking back Marleau.
That's the kinda fit both ways I was thinking. In my mind taking Marleau gets you Johnsson or Kapanen. I'm spittballing if Keumper and Goligoski could return a Kadri. And then the possibility of getting a slightly overpaid on Leafs Hyman or Brown for an entry level Fischer type. I think the Coyotes could win big if they have the Cap room?? Or budget??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->