Speculation: 2019 Offseason Roster Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
No. Colorado got heavy discounts in order to push for a Cup. This would be like the 4th of July when Minnesota paid top dollar for Parise and Suter, the two premier UFAs of that summer.

Yeah....maybe just one or the other is enough.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The more I look at the cap, I don’t think we can do both Duchene and Karlsson. Even on 9.5 mil deals I was coming out around 85 mil with those two added, plus Crouse, and minus Goligoski, KConn, and Hossa. We’d have to cut another midrange salary to make it all work. Seems like too many moves to be likely.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yep. I'd rather double it (6x6 = 36) and go for Duchene (7x10 = 70).
I'd rather take Hayes at $6M and use the extra four million a year to chase another scorer. Kessel and Hayes is just a $3M more next year and $2M more the next two than Duchene would be at $10M.
Zucker and Hayes fluctuates between $2M and $800k more over the next four years.
Or depending on our budget/cap, it may be closer to Duchene and KConn vs Hayes and Goligoski.

Duchene would be great, but I'd rather fill out our roster to be honest.

Vinnie- Duchene- Galchenyuk
Crouse - Stepan- Schmaltz
Hayton- Dvo- Keller
Grabner- Richardson - Garland
Cousins, Archibald

VS

Zucker -Hayes- Schmaltz
Vinnie - Stepan- Galchenyuk
Crouse - Dvo- Keller
Grabner- Richardson - Garland
Hayton, Cousins, Archibald

Etc

ETA: either would be better than anything we have iced in recent memory

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ottawa seems like the perfect dumping ground for Connauton. Right now they have 5 defensemen under contract for a total of 4.4 mil. He'd actually be their highest paid defenseman at 1.4 mil (until they re-sign Ceci).

So Hossa plus Connauton plus something of mid-range value for nothing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Connauton+Hossa+3rd(76)+6th(174)
to OTT for 5th(125)?

EDIT: we can bury 900k of Connauton’s 1.375 cap-hit in Tucson. If we’re suddenly a cap team, and aren’t concerned with salary any longer.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Getting some more talent here will also finally give us a chance to create some mismatches on the ice. Usually its pretty easy to defend our best skill players cause frankly they are few and far between. If we can afford to go get another higher end player or dare i say two, it'll open up a lot for the other guys.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
In the entire last season everybody seemed to talk about how bad the West was. And how random it was who made it to the post-season.

Coyotes barely missed, after a bad start. Blues had an even worse start, and then became just a little bit better, but not by that much IMHO. And they won it all.

My take is, this team is not as far away as some people will claim it is.

Just need some more goalscoring... ;)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In the entire last season everybody seemed to talk about how bad the West was. And how random it was who made it to the post-season.

Coyotes barely missed, after a bad start. Blues had an even worse start, and then became just a little bit better, but not by that much IMHO. And they won it all.

My take is, this team is not as far away as some people will claim it is.

Just need some more goalscoring... ;)
I'd challenge that take. I'm not sure we have more than a couple players who could make the Blues lineup when considering comparable position. We are moving forward but still have a long ways to go.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Morgan's latest piece basically summarizes all the player rumors surrounding the team right now. Nothing we haven't already heard, although Morgan suggesting Connor Brown as a 'sweetener' for taking on Patrick Marleau made me laugh. If Chayka did that he should be fired on the spot.

Morgan is also still pedaling this "silly season" narrative that invented the Jim Irsay story even though he's the one who started it all. Such a knob.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Was expecting 5 x 5. A little steep I'd think. Now they need to re-sign Anders Lee. The rumor I saw there was 6 years at 7 mil.
I was kinda thinking that a 2nd line winger coming off a 37 point year might not be worth North of $5 million but to be real honest I can't say I have any idea anymore what a contract should be???

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think it's a more goals thing with Eberle. Historically he's a safe bet for 20-25 goals. Also had a helluva playoffs this year.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Morgan is also still pedaling this "silly season" narrative that invented the Jim Irsay story even though he's the one who started it all. Such a knob.

All Morgan did was ask people to caption the picture. He was having some fun, like any other Twitterhead would have had.

It was some NJ Devils blogger that started all the "Irsay is buying the Coyotes" crap.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Disagree. Morgan knew what he was doing there. Surprising move considering all the angst over the ownership stuff since 2009. I'd add too that he is a reporter (at least on that account), not a Twitterhead like everybody else.

The good news is we're not about to be owned by that drunken fool.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
On Eberle - only 7% of the deal is signing bonus money. Wow. It's also a 500k annual pay cut from his last deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->