Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #5 - OR - The Everlasting GobStromer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He didn’t mention Arizona, but I was listening to Brian Burke on Sportsnet radio yesterday and he is 100% convinced that Auston Matthews is leaving Toronto when his contract is up in five years. He’s even willing to wager a significant amount of money on it.
I agree with Burke. I don't think Matthews is comfortable there and I have said it from the start. He does seem to get more comfortable each year though so maybe after 5 years he might not feel the same. I still would bet highly that he will not be in Toronto after this contract.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He didn’t mention Arizona, but I was listening to Brian Burke on Sportsnet radio yesterday and he is 100% convinced that Auston Matthews is leaving Toronto when his contract is up in five years. He’s even willing to wager a significant amount of money on it.
Five years is so long to wait. But PLEASE come home Auston. He’s got to right? With Meruelo here, you have to think we’d do whatever it takes.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Five years is so long to wait. But PLEASE come home Auston. He’s got to right? With Meruelo here, you have to think we’d do whatever it takes.
I don't think it will get to 5 years if my thoughts are correct . No way the Leaf's wait it out and let him walk for nothing. But then again why pay at 3 or 4 years rather than wait for him to be free??

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Many one dimensional players are top six, but some can be on the third and fourth line. Look at the Coyotes roster and probably the top three forwards this coming year are really one dimensional.

Many in the top 6 are one-dimensional?

You are arguing for the sake of arguing and not realizing what you are even saying. Pick a random team and their top 6:

Edmonton - I had no idea that McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Neal, Gagner, and Granlund are mostly one-dimensional?

Carolina - Teravainen, Svechnikov, Staal, Aho, and Neiderreiter are all one-dimensional?

Philly - JVR, Voracek, Giroux, Hayes, Couturier, Patrick/Konecny are all one-dimensional?

Even for us, Stepan (whether you want him in top 6), Kessel, Keller, Schmaltz, Soderberg, and Dvorak are all one-dimensional? I can see maybe one or two being considered one-dimensional, but by your statement that MANY players in the top 6 are one-dimensional, I don't see that at all.

I see most top 6 players as having well-rounded attributes (will Kessel ever be the best defensive player? No, but he is well-rounded enough that you don't have to shelter him defensively). The one-dimensional players are the ones in the bottom 6 who may carve out nice careers, but not elite careers. The Jordan Nolans, Boyd Gordon's, and others are these types of one-dimensional players that have roles, but are not players who you build around, as they are dependent on others in the top 6 and can be replaced much more easily.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Interesting quote here (do yourselves a favor and skip the awful analysis and just listen to the quote):

Mathews will be playing in AZ in 5 years or less. He badly wants to play here, loves AZ, this comes from good sources. TML will likely keep him the next 3 years and then think about trading him to AZ to get some value. i don't see Mathews changing his mind from what I know.

Reactions: Antonche

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I will enjoy immensely tormenting Leaf fans with this information.

Reactions: Jakey53

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

I will enjoy immensely tormenting Leaf fans with this information.

Right around the 2:38 mark

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I agree with Burke but he's out to lunch with the tax part. COL is correct in regards to Toronto vs Scottsdale but unless Matthew's has a moron for a tax advisor he will be paying the same taxes roughly in each place.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Won't work. We aren't allowed to draft a generational player. If there are two we'd draft third. It's in the NHL bylaws I think.

Sadly, seems right. Not even a particual good season to ask for a tank?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Latest Morgan piece on the Athletic re: Chychrun is really good. Cliff’s Notes: the entire Coyotes organization and his friends and family all begged him to show more dedication and more commitment this off-season.

They wanted him to dedicate himself to resting and commit to taking the summer off. He got the message and had his first summer pain-free and rehab free. He’s seems to be a very happy guy right now.

Also, He and his dad and Rick Tocchet are very excited for him to work with Housley and to start getting PP mins.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Latest Morgan piece on the Athletic re: Chychrun is really good. Cliff’s Notes: the entire Coyotes organization and his friends and family all begged him to show more dedication and more commitment this off-season.

They wanted him to dedicate himself to resting and commit to taking the summer off. He got the message and had his first summer pain-free and rehab free. He’s seems to be a very happy guy right now.

Also, He and his dad and Rick Tocchet are very excited for him to work with Housley and to start getting PP mins.
I think this is the first summer for DVO and Merkley rehab free. I think Merkley could be a surprise this camp.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Capfriendly lists the contract total as 47 - I count 48 with anywhere from 1 to 3 potential sliders.
Should it not be either 48 or the total net of potential sliders? :dunno:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Capfriendly lists the contract total as 47 - I count 48 with anywhere from 1 to 3 potential sliders.
Should it not be either 48 or the total net of potential sliders? :dunno:

I count 12 + 7 + 2 + 1 (Hossa) = 22 in the NHL section, and 13 +10 +4 = 27 in the AHL section. That's 49. Of these, Hayton and Bahl are possible contract sliders.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
That's where it goes offside - Soderstrom not being listed as a potential slider.
I think I was missing Hossa in my count so it was making the different permutations not add up.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman was on Sportsnet again and mentioned Arizona (again) in connection with Jake Gardiner. Also mentioned Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Carolina, Winnipeg.

My own speculation but I wonder if a guy like Phil Housley can be a pretty interesting carrot to somebody like Gardiner. Housley may be able to help take his game to the next level. Both offensive defensemen. Both Minnesota guys.

Reactions: Foggy1097
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad