Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #5 - OR - The Everlasting GobStromer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
An opinion is just that, an opinion. I think you're being a little too insistent on having facts to back it up. I think Chayka gave Schmaltz that big contract even though he was coming off an injury because he felt he had to go all in to keep from looking any more stupid for dumping Strome. I don't know that as a fact. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are posters who think I'm a moron for thinking that.
Friedman is the top insider in hockey. Accusing him of being a shill for the Maple Leafs and claiming that he’s easy to manipulate is absurd. There’s nothing to it.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
An opinion is just that, an opinion. I think you're being a little too insistent on having facts to back it up. I think Chayka gave Schmaltz that big contract even though he was coming off an injury because he felt he had to go all in to keep from looking any more stupid for dumping Strome. I don't know that as a fact. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are posters who think I'm a moron for thinking that.

Not likely. Chayka largely doesn't care about perception. If Strome goes on to be a PPG center and Schmaltz is just an inconsistent 40-50 pt guy, it doesn't magically look better because Schmaltz is signed. Signing him actually upped the pressure quite a bit.

The reason he signed Schmaltz to that deal is simple: it's unlikely Schmaltz becomes a total ablatross, and there's a good chance he punches well above his weight contractually over the span of that deal due to the reasonable AAV. Players that have suffered injuries are open to deals that put a ton of money on the table because NHL contracts are guaranteed.

Friedman is beyond reproach though, he's basically the NHL's version of Schefter or Woj.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Interest in Gardiner?
Must have a trade on the table or I just don't see any sense to it.
I expect Schmaltz to be paired with Keller. If Keller becomes the player we hope he will be and develops chemistry with Schmaltz, then this fan is happy with the trade.
Can Dvorak and Hinostroza make a good pairing?
Hayton is the wild card. Can he be an effective every day player by January?
If you guys want to argue, what about the way the Coyotes dashed the Roadrunners chance at the Calder cup by promoting Capobianco, their best player, and he getting hurt. They should have left him there and make the playoffs!!! Keep hearing about sending players back to juniors to experience being "the guy", but never about the AHL.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Saw a video on IG with Hayton doing some work outs and dude has def put in some size, you guys were right haha.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
@Jakey53
I would happily sign Gardiner and ditch Goligoski. I think they’re similar but Goose is half a decade older. Five years to the month. I think the bottom is going to fall off of Goligoski very soon. Sign Gardiner to a 4x4 (if he’s desperate) and avoid the decline. But I don’t know that we have to move Goligoski to add Gardiner.

Every vet D on the team besides OEL is UFA in two seasons. You’re right, that’s two seasons and not right now. So where does he fit? In the top four. Other guys move down the line up or out of the lineup. Likely Oesterle and Lyubushkin. That is until injuries inevitably hit (and they will).

We all know that Goligoski and Demers are never prepared to start the season and treat the summer as a vacation and camp as a joke. Neither gets up to 100% until Thanksgiving. I’d love to have the resources available to scratch them when they play poorly in September and October and November.

Yeah, it’s sucks for Capobianco. But we saw how long it took for Chychrun to get to 100% (he never did) and he’s an absolute mutant freak of nature. Capo is not. Plus, we don’t even know whether he’s an NHL player anyway. He can scratch and claw his way back into the NHL like everyone else.
I think you are dreaming if you think you can get Gardiner at 4x4.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think you are dreaming if you think you can get Gardiner at 4x4.
I would have agreed eight weeks ago when free agency opened. I was surprised how reasonable a bunch of contracts were this summer. Almost no one post-July 1st got what they thought they were going to get. Very level-headed summer. Now here’s Gardiner who seems to be playing chicken with the entire market. That’s never worked once.

I don’t actually know this, and I’m not going to look it up, but I suspect a 4x4 would be the largest contract ever signed by a UFA in September.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maybe it’s Gardiner on a 1 year. Who knows? For this to work Goligoski would have to move and that may have depended upon the teams on his no trade list. Regardless it’s likely a futures/cap space deal return mainly to free up cap space for next season to sign Hinostroza, Keller, and Fischer.

rt

May 13, 2004
Maybe it’s Gardiner on a 1 year. Who knows? For this to work Goligoski would have to move and that may have depended upon the teams on his no trade list. Regardless it’s likely a futures/cap space deal return mainly to free up cap space for next season to sign Hinostroza, Keller, and Fischer.
Why would Goligoski have to move?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Chayka is too worried about Hayton having to win a spot. He won’t add a forward and give Tocchet a reason to think.

Apparently we are being linked to Riley Sheahan as well...wouldn’t mind that. If we added him and Gardiner I would be ecstatic. We need the depth if we are serious about making a run this season...adding Gardiner would allow us to have two legitimate PP units instead of one and a half.

rt

May 13, 2004
Apparently we are being linked to Riley Sheahan as well...wouldn’t mind that. If we added him and Gardiner I would be ecstatic. We need the depth if we are serious about making a run this season...adding Gardiner would allow us to have two legitimate PP units instead of one and a half.
Having a hard time finding this rumor online. Found a Matheson tidbit more or less saying we wouldn’t be interested. Where did you pick this rumor up?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Having a hard time finding this rumor online. Found a Matheson tidbit more or less saying we wouldn’t be interested. Where did you pick this rumor up?

Probably not the most reliable rumor...some “Yotes Trade Central blog” or something. They probably picked it up from somewhere else and threw it out there, I dunno. Seems believable enough though...I was surprised we didn’t have interest in him earlier on. C/W versatility, another good PK guy, depth in the bottom half of the lineup in case of injuries. Tocchet might be familiar with him from PIT? Given the other deals we’ve seen we could get him super cheap I would imagine...

rt

May 13, 2004
Probably not the most reliable rumor...some “Yotes Trade Central blog” or something. They probably picked it up from somewhere else and threw it out there, I dunno. Seems believable enough though...I was surprised we didn’t have interest in him earlier on. C/W versatility, another good PK guy, depth in the bottom half of the lineup in case of injuries. Tocchet might be familiar with him from PIT? Given the other deals we’ve seen we could get him super cheap I would imagine...
That’s true, but everything he can do, Brian Boyle can do better.

rt

May 13, 2004
Pat Maroon to Tampa, 1yr 900k. They’re now at the 50 contract limit and have less than 9m in space for Point. They literally can’t sign Point without making a trade. Unfortunately, all of the guys that I like and could be available I’ve NTC or NMC.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
THN projections:

Raanta - 20 wins, 2.31, .925, 3 SO
Kuemper - 22 wins, 2.40, .921, 3 SO

If that's how it turns out, which one do you pick to keep? Assuming we're moving one.

Keep in mind that after 19-20, Kuemper is a UFA and Raanta has 1 year left at 4.25.

I see every reason to re-sign Kuemper and try and deal Raanta or keep him on the roster to expose him as a UFA to Seattle after the 20-21 season.

At that point, Kuemper would be younger, less injury prone, and might(??) even cost less.

Should these predictions play out, I think this will be one of the more difficult decisions next offseason, but I think we wind up with Kuemper and Raanta through 20-21, with Kuemper signing a 4 or 5 year deal at a $4.5 M AAV. Once Raanta is done with his deal in 20-21 or traded at the deadline of 20-21 season, Hill becomes our backup for 21-22. That means Kuemper is our starter for roughly another 3-4 years, or until Hill/Prosvetov prove that they are ahead of him. Then, come the 23-24 season, Hill is the starter with Prosvetov as backup. Prosvetov would be near finishing his RFA deals at age 24/25 ish and Hill would be 27/28 ish. That seems like the right ages to transition into starter/backup roles (totally understanding that someone could become a starter at a younger age, provided they prove their worth and ability).

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Yeah, I don't see the outcome of Strome having any reflection as to why we extended Schmaltz. Maybe Chicago simply wasn't interested in anything more than a bridge deal, and we looked at Schmaltz's production and value and found a good contract.

If the Coyotes had offered Strome the same contract as Schmaltz instead of trading for Schmaltz on that very day, we'd be asking the same questions, since Strome hadn't necessarily proven he was worth that contract in the first place.

Opinions are opinions, but every so often, you can read between the lines. Chayka's comment about the "hope" for Strome was because he didn't see someone who was consistent enough in his time here. That wasn't a parting shot meant to be an ass - it was meant to say that we needed someone who would be consistent for us at a needed position. Since we weren't getting that now or in the past, it was hard to see that developing in the future. That's how people were able to form opinions that something wasn't working that went beyond who Strome was or wasn't playing with.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
:huh: Capfriendly shows them at 48 contracts with Maroon in.

I think people are counting their burried contracts twice.

But about Yotes... Who did you hope for in the draft. Caufield? Ok, it's a bit moot. But I just have to ask for no reason.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Pat Maroon to Tampa, 1yr 900k. They’re now at the 50 contract limit and have less than 9m in space for Point. They literally can’t sign Point without making a trade. Unfortunately, all of the guys that I like and could be available I’ve NTC or NMC.

Hope Chyaka sees how valuable these types of players are for playoff teams and grabs Boyle. Great pick up by Tampa.

Much prefer Boyle or Gradnier.

Reactions: Lilhoody
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->