Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #5 - OR - The Everlasting GobStromer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Coyotes are near the cap. They have a young defenseman, Capo, on the verge of making the club. They have only one top 3 pair RHD and a 4th pair RHD. Gardiner is a LHD. Toronto would like nothing more to get some value out of a trade of Gardiner to the Coyotes, so they use a network guy to impart some momentum.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No. I need you for that. Because I suspect you’re talking out of the wrong hole.
Perhaps you are looking for a disclaimer.

"For the purposes of HFboards discussion, any and all posts of mine are pure speculation, based upon my incredible deductive reasoning, impeccable taste in clothing, and lovely breath."

Reactions: Yandover

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Coyotes are near the cap. They have a young defenseman, Capo, on the verge of making the club. They have only one top 3 pair RHD and a 4th pair RHD. Gardiner is a LHD. Toronto would like nothing more to get some value out of a trade of Gardiner to the Coyotes, so they use a network guy to impart some momentum.

He’s a free agent...Toronto isn’t negotiating with anyone.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Just say no to Gardiner. The only thing this team needs is a forward that can score goals. We still have a roster full of pass first guys. I doubt we get anyone else that can do that at this point. Maybe Merkley can take someone's spot. He and Hayton are really the only young players that have a shot to earn a place on the team. The team is still void a young offensive star and that's not changing any time soon.

Reactions: Yandover

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Perhaps you are looking for a disclaimer.

"For the purposes of HFboards discussion, any and all posts of mine are pure speculation, based upon my incredible deductive reasoning, impeccable taste in clothing, and lovely breath."
I see. So you just fancy yourself as having a better sense for bullshit than the premiere insider in the hockey world. Got it. Good to know.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
And also a big swings and a miss on the cap bit. The Coyotes are hard against the cap only until they LTIR Hossa in a bit. They could have a handshake with Gardiner until then.

I heard a rumor that he had some sort of handshake agreement in place waiting for a team to open up some cap space, so it’s definitely plausible it could be waiting for Hossa to hit LTIR. Heard multiple different teams mentioned so I don’t think anyone actually knows for sure who the mystery team is...

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
And also a big swings and a miss on the cap bit. The Coyotes are hard against the cap only until they LTIR Hossa in a bit. They could have a handshake with Gardiner until then.

When can they officially dump Hossas cap to LTIR?

rt

May 13, 2004
When can they officially dump Hossas cap to LTIR?
I don’t know. We can technically spend his hit over the cap now, and LTIR later but that makes things more difficult. I believe when he’s LTIR, if we were compliant at the time, it’s like we just have that cap space more or less.

Reactions: SR

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Gardiner was rumored at 7M around July 1. I'd love him at 4x4. 40 point dman who's been a victim of the Toronto media. He's like the current day version Kessel. I think he would love playing here, and would do well. Definitely not a shutdown dman but I think the turnovers are a bit overblown. Toronto Syndrome.

Ditch Goligoski for a pick or a forward on contract with one year left. Pageau?Frolik?

rt

May 13, 2004
Gardiner was rumored at 7M around July 1. I'd love him at 4x4. 40 point dman who's been a victim of the Toronto media. He's like the current day version Kessel. I think he would love playing here, and would do well. Definitely not a shutdown dman but I think the turnovers are a bit overblown. Toronto Syndrome.

Ditch Goligoski for a pick or a forward on contract with one year left. Pageau?Frolik?
I would say yes to that but doubt Goligoski waives for Calgary or Ottawa. Maybe Calgary. They’re competitive and near-ish (Er) to Minny (not a factor) haha.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My biggest takeaway from the Friedman comment is that he expressed our interest in Gardiner as in the past tense. So are we still interested or was it before we did some other stuff?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
An opinion is just that, an opinion. I think you're being a little too insistent on having facts to back it up. I think Chayka gave Schmaltz that big contract even though he was coming off an injury because he felt he had to go all in to keep from looking any more stupid for dumping Strome. I don't know that as a fact. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are posters who think I'm a moron for thinking that.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Friedman is historically pretty good on matters involving the Coyotes. I wrote a post about it a while back.
He was dead on about Domi being moved at or before the draft and the majority dismissed it for months; including a certain Coyotes beat writer who wrote a lengthy piece dismissing the idea even though he probably knew the whole time the relationship had deteriorated.

He reported first that the Coyotes were eyeing Tocchet as their #1 candidate, that they were sending Strome back to the OHL when everyone though he was staying, looking at trading Mike Smith, and reported trading for Crouse first.

That doesn't mean he can't be passed a bum rumor from time to time from someone looking to get a narrative out there, but I think Friedman is the best informed-speculator in the business. I consider that a different role from a guy like McKenzie who is more a straight reporter.

rt

May 13, 2004
Friedman is historically pretty good on matters involving the Coyotes. I wrote a post about it a while back.
He was dead on about Domi being moved at or before the draft and the majority dismissed it for months; including a certain Coyotes beat writer who wrote a lengthy piece dismissing the idea even though he probably knew the whole time the relationship had deteriorated.

He reported first that the Coyotes were eyeing Tocchet as their #1 candidate, that they were sending Strome back to the OHL when everyone though he was staying, looking at trading Mike Smith, and reported trading for Crouse first.

That doesn't mean he can't be passed a bum rumor from time to time from someone looking to get a narrative out there, but I think Friedman is the best informed-speculator in the business. I consider that a different role from a guy like McKenzie who is more a straight reporter.
McKenzie is 60% retired anyway. The torch has been passed. Nobody has noticed yet is all.

Reactions: Mosby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad