Speculation: 2019 Off Season Roster Discussion #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I’m actually hoping someone offer sheets Crouse at $4.5M per. I’d take the first and 3rd.

Assuming no offer sheet (99.9% probability) I’m hoping we can extend him at 5 years and $3Mish AAV. I would think Crouse wants a 1 or 2 year deal. That number comes in closer to $2-$2.25MAAV. I’m close.

I don't know if it goes above $2.0 M, to be honest. Martinook, Ritchie, and Armia all appear to be comparables, and they are all below $2.0 M AAV, with similar, if not better production. I guess that Crouse may get something over that due to standard increase and maybe because he is our only "protector" of sorts?

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The only reason not to do the Kessel deal is Penguins actually want a reasonable return. If they were willing to give him away we’d have interest.

I think RTs proposal would get it done honestly.

It kind of checks the box on things they need now, plus gives them a future first to restock their cupboards for when the Crosby Malkin era is drawing to a close.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't know if it goes above $2.0 M, to be honest. Martinook, Ritchie, and Armia all appear to be comparables, and they are all below $2.0 M AAV, with similar, if not better production. I guess that Crouse may get something over that due to standard increase and maybe because he is our only "protector" of sorts?
If Crouse was a heavyweight we’d have teams lining up to sign him to get the next “Wilson” without the suspensions for head shots.

Reactions: _Del_

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Crouse was a heavyweight we’d have teams lining up to sign him to get the next “Wilson” without the suspensions for head shots.
I don't see Crouse as anywhere near Wilson as a player now. No idea if he gets there.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Do you mean Goligoski? If not then we're in much better shape than I thought.

No, I should have said, move Capobianco to the AHL. We currently have about $3.6 M in space. Sending Capobianco to the AHL and putting Hossa on LTIR gets us to just about $9 M in space before any RFA or UFA signings.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I keep hoping that next year will be the year of the big free agent splash. I’m now worried that the Coyotes are consigned to be the KC Royals of the NHL.

I wish we were the Royals :biglaugh:.

The Royals were the Astros before the Astros were the new hotness. Built up an insane prospect pool under the radar and won a WS (and lost one the year before). And yes are still not terribly attractive a destination :laugh:. Some of their own homegrown talent left too.

It's a better place than we're in though.

Didn’t we dismiss Archibald and Cousins?

We thought Richardson was gonna be gone at one point then they traded Kruger and brought him back. I think Archibald is probably gone but I wouldn't rule out Cousins just yet.

Reactions: _Del_

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
It's gotta be Kessel. Marchessault and Zucker might come in and put up 20 goals. My guess is they'll be at about 15/40. Fischer could do that. Merkley could do that.

What nobody on our team can do is come in and potentially put up 30 goals and 70 points. Zucker won't do that, Marchessault won't do that, no one on our team can do that.

Marchessault and Zucker are good "settling" options if we don't land Kessel. But he's got to be the target out of those three guys. But I hesitate giving up Fischer for one of those two guys. It is only his third season, and he could figure it out. The entire team slumped offensively. Fischer could prove to be just as productive as those guys.

If Fischer has to go to get Kessel I don't hesitate as much. Kessel easily doubles Fischer's point production. The other two might not.

Reactions: Mosby

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Oddly, even though Pittsburgh publicly stated they had changed their mind about Phil, and even though Minnesota hasn't publicly addressed the two completed but nixed trades involving Zucker, I somehow find myself believing that Pittsburgh 100% wants to deal Phil, and that Minnesota has completely changed their minds on Zucker and plan to keep him.

Either way, we need Pittsburgh to capitulate and agree to Chayka's bargain bin offer. Maybe it'll happen at like 11:30pm EST on Sunday night.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Wilson signed a 2 year bridge deal before the 16-17 season for a $2 M AAV. He had 52 points in 160 games over the next two years, which he was able to parlay into the 6 year deal.

Crouse would be signing a bridge deal at a similar age to when Wilson signed his bridge. At the time, Wilson had 50 points in 231 games. Crouse has 38 points in 164 games. But Crouse also has about 1/3rd of the penalty minutes.

Crouse is 0.23 ppg, Wilson was 0.21 ppg when the bridge was signed, so was Wilson's original bridge based upon his ability to be a scorer, or as the guy to instill fear in the other team? I don't see Crouse doing that at the same level, and the scoring touch is about the same. If the idea is to have him on a deal with a higher AAV than Wilson, shouldn't we see some sort of large difference in either total points or game-changing ability from the "protector" role?

I am not quite seeing the $2 M ask based on performance only. If anything, it seems like it could only tie out to the general cost of contract increases as inflation.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Oddly, even though Pittsburgh publicly stated they had changed their mind about Phil, and even though Minnesota hasn't publicly addressed the two completed but nixed trades involving Zucker, I somehow find myself believing that Pittsburgh 100% wants to deal Phil, and that Minnesota has completely changed their minds on Zucker and plan to keep him.

Either way, we need Pittsburgh to capitulate and agree to Chayka's bargain bin offer. Maybe it'll happen at like 11:30pm EST on Sunday night.
I'm being told Kessel is still in the works and that you are 100% correct in your assessment that Pittsburgh is holding out for more from us. Time will tell.

Reactions: che and Grimes

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Rutherford was just on NHL Network yesterday talking abiut his induction to the HoF and he specifically said some players have become too comfortable and that he will be making some changes.

I think that sounds pretty Kessel-ish

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Rutherford was just on NHL Network yesterday talking abiut his induction to the HoF and he specifically said some players have become too comfortable and that he will be making some changes.

I think that sounds pretty Kessel-ish
I saw that too and had same thought.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sniper said:
We thought Richardson was gonna be gone at one point then they traded Kruger and brought him back. I think Archibald is probably gone but I wouldn't rule out Cousins just yet.
I wouldn't write off either yet. Depends on how everything else goes. I'm sure if they'd take a two-way deal, they'd be resigned in a second. I think they both have inflated stats because we were so depleted last year and RT loves them. That made arbitration risky (can't walk away-- same reason Dallas let Hartman go unqualified), so Chayka rightly walked. Also gives them a hint of what their real value is out on the market (probably not great-- most teams have plenty of filler already).
Bit of reality check for their agents who probably smelled blood after Tocc overused them and they both put up great (for AHL or 4th liners). Sends the right message, I think. "We like you, but this is a business. And you're the definition of replaceable"
I like both guys, but I wouldn't offer them anything until I figure out what the rest of the roster looks like. Those guys are not guys we need to keep a roster space open for (unless its in Tucson). If someone needs a role player, then maybe one or both get scooped up early before we set our roster. Cousins playing minutes at C helps him. No big loss.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also now have the option to sign Cousins and Archibald for below their qualifier, if they’re willing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I now solidly have my hopes up for Kessel. The one hockey question I want to know the answer to more than anything right now, is how low has Chayka got Rutherford to go on Kessel? I just want to know what JR's last offer was. I'm sure it's way less than I'm willing to pay. I'd probably lose my mind if I knew the answer. If Chayka manages to get Kessel without giving up pieces I'm very attached to, he's going to make up for a lot of what I'm holding against him from that Domi trade.

What if it ends up being something like Merkley and a conditional pick (1st if playoffs, 2nd if not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->