2019 Off-Season Evaluation

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The dude just won the Vezina. Hes probably the most athletic goalie I've ever watched, personall . The way he stretches and is always in control is unreal.

And literally every goalie in the league has worse puck handling than Bishop. Bishop was probably the most fun goalie I've ever seen play.

But to discount the most recent Vezina winner because he's a worse puck handler than the best puck handler in the league is silly. But I will admit, it is Vasy's biggest weakness.

This. I still believe Bishop is the better goalie today, and you see what he can do with a defense in front of him, guy was ridiculous in the WCF. But we made a longer term investment and I don't think the slight difference between Vasi and Bishop will be a cup deciding one.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, but... those are pretty much the only hits he threw in the playoffs. I'm not trying to hate on the guy. Just, in my opinion, he was the odd man out. He had some big moments of physicality, but he never really made it the norm.

Also: He has 3 playoff goals, LIFETIME. 61 games.

I haven't looked into the numbers, but how many of those points at the first of the year were 5v5? Because Miller scored a big chunk of his points this year on the PP.

He also played a huge chunk of the season on the 4th line making it extremely effective without scoring. Can't say the same for Palat whos supposed to be a "gritty" player and produces less while given better opportunities.

If we could've helped it either Palat or Johnson should've been shipped off this year in Miller's place, you can slot Miller anywhere in the lineup you would put Palat and he's an upgrade.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This. I still believe Bishop is the better goalie today, and you see what he can do with a defense in front of him, guy was ridiculous in the WCF. But we made a longer term investment and I don't think the slight difference between Vasi and Bishop will be a cup deciding one.

Youre right about this. But the true difference between the men is that Bishop has yet to prove he can stay healthy for 4 series. Last year he was fine but who is to say he doesn't get hurt somehow if the Stars advance?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Youre right about this. But the true difference between the men is that Bishop has yet to prove he can stay healthy for 4 series. Last year he was fine but who is to say he doesn't get hurt somehow if the Stars advance?

By that logic Vasilevski has also not proven he can stay healthy through 4 series either.... An "injured" Bishop posted 2.2GAA and a .923 save% in the cup finals, that's sufficient enough goaltending to win, we had no offense.

The difference is Bishop has never had a poor playoff run, Vasi's lack of experience and weak mental game killed us year among other things.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
By that logic Vasilevski has also not proven he can stay healthy through 4 series either....

Yeah, but he also didn't get hurt prior to Montreal, during the CHI series and during the PIT series either. Call it bad luck or anything else we want to but through his entire tenure, he was hurt during the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Ben Bishop but I'd be the least surprised person in the world if I tuned into game 2 of Dallas vs division team in round 2 and I saw Bishop go down with a groin injury. Once he got hurt again last year for however long that stretch was prior to the playoffs I had that "Broken clock is right twice a day" phrase pop up and make me think about a "Broken Bishop happens once a year like clockwork" I never find myself worrying about Vasy getting hurt at the end of the day like I did with Bishop

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
By that logic Vasilevski has also not proven he can stay healthy through 4 series either.... An "injured" Bishop posted 2.2GAA and a .923 save% in the cup finals, that's sufficient enough goaltending to win, we had no offense.

The difference is Bishop has never had a poor playoff run, Vasi's lack of experience and weak mental game killed us year among other things.
It wasn't sufficient at all? Do none of you remember him not being able to push laterally and giving up a couple of really soft backhands?

Reactions: DFC

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It wasn't sufficient at all? Do none of you remember him not being able to push laterally and giving up a couple of really soft backhands?

A soft backhand or a top shelf snipe, what does it matter? If your goalie is only giving up 2 goals a game and your forward group is averaging 1.6goals through 6 games, that's on the forwards.

Binnington just won a cup posting 2.29GAA and .912 save % in the finals.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
A soft backhand or a top shelf snipe, what does it matter? If your goalie is only giving up 2 goals a game and your forward group is averaging 1.6goals through 6 games, that's on the forwards.

Binnington just won a cup posting 2.29GAA and .912 save % in the finals.
That is not what we were debating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad