Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Playoffs Round 1: (1) Tampa Bay swept 0-4 by (WC2) Columbus

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Boston fan wondering what is going on with Tampa. They were a tough team last year and seemed better this year. What has happened? I watched the first 3 games and they looked like they are struggling with confidence. How is that possible after the regular season they had? Lack of intestinal fortitude?

Hoping you guys can get back in this one, I hate Torts.

1st game = Bolts were too lazy to play hard all 60 minutes after 3-0 in the 1st period. This is mostly on players.

2nd and 3rd game = mostly on the coach. Bolts has been playing fast offensive game for several years. There was no need to change this style and sit in defense, just because one game was lost. That's not how Tampa played and won 95% of games before. We have fast and skilled team. If we want to play defense we need another roster and we have to play defensively all season long to be used to it. Some people saying Cooper did not make enough adjustments. Well, I think he did too much and lost the way that made him a successful coach in the 1st place.

Last edited:

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Forgot Coburn was on that team. Lead the way!

Ride the wave...gotcha.

aHR0cHM6Ly9pLnBpbmltZy5jb20vb3JpZ2luYWxzLzE4Lzg3LzViLzE4ODc1YjFlM2Y2NjVlNzE3ZjAzMDVlMjBjNWI2OGVhLmdpZg==.gif

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't think this team has a win in them to be honest. Only way I see them pulling it out is if Columbus falls asleep at the wheel, which I would only expect to last one game.

Columbus is extremely aware of what happened last year and will want to avoid a similar collapse this year. The building is going to be on fire expecting them to close it out at home.

Just don't see it happening.

Reactions: DaBolts

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think this team has a win in them to be honest. Only way I see them pulling it out is if Columbus falls asleep at the wheel, which I would only expect to last one game.

Columbus is extremely aware of what happened last year and will want to avoid a similar collapse this year. The building is going to be on fire expecting them to close it out at home.

Just don't see it happening.

I'm with you, but could you imagine yourself telling the "before the playoffs" you this. I'm still in disbelief.

Reactions: berlin

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
This season will be remarked on every year forever until some other team ties or breaks the nhl regular season wins record.

The 18/19 Bolts have claimed the presidents trophy curse forever. They may as well call it the Lightning Trophy or the Tampa Bay Curse.

Doug Williams has exclusive rights on that one.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
If we have any chance of coming back, we've gotta see the same level of hunger from Lightning players, that other teams are showing these playoffs. It's night and day difference between these efforts......

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Doug Williams has exclusive rights on that one.
I mean we did break the curse in 04... We need heart and soul players like MSL that fight for every puck and are warriors on the rink. The legend didn't have the size, but he sure did have the heart and will.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Do we win game 1 or maybe even game 3 with a healthy Hedman and Stralman?
It probably helps, but this team is completely lost, and that starts with Cooper. He very, very, very clearly does not have a gameplan outside of "We just gotta keep playing our game". He says that cause he doesn't know what TF "our game" actually is.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Do we win game 1 or maybe even game 3 with a healthy Hedman and Stralman?

Yes.

Maybe not both games and nothing was going to save Game 2, but probably Game 1. If both were fully healthy, Rutta would have been back in the AHL, the Bolts would have their Norris winning #1Dman rampaging through the Blue Jackets' forwards and a healthy Strålman beats out Girardi by a country mile as a better partner for Heddy and puts Sergachev back with Coburn who seemed to manage him pretty well.

It still would have been difficult because CBJ has been outstanding at executing their plan and structure, but I think our Bolts would have had more stability on the blueline.

Just my very humble and probably biased opinion. ;)

Reactions: berlin

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yes.

Maybe not both games and nothing was going to save Game 2, but probably Game 1. If both were fully healthy, Rutta would have been back in the AHL, the Bolts would have their Norris winning #1Dman rampaging through the Blue Jackets' forwards and a healthy Strålman beats out Girardi by a country mile as a better partner for Heddy and puts Sergachev back with Coburn who seemed to manage him pretty well.

It still would have been difficult because CBJ has been outstanding at executing their plan and structure, but I think our Bolts would have had more stability on the blueline.

Just my very humble and probably biased opinion. ;)

Rutta was a net positive first game, Hedman sucked ass when he was in the lineup so... doesn't matter who's in or who's out they're not winning anything with this compete level.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Rutta was a net positive first game, Hedman sucked ass when he was in the lineup so... doesn't matter who's in or who's out they're not winning anything with this compete level.

Ah, but the original hypothetical specified a "healthy Hedman" and he was certainly NOT healthy in that first or second game. Again, just mho. You are correct in that Rutta wasn't bad the first game, but the last two he was not. It's interesting (in a rather depressing way) to me that Sergachev had some nice moments offensively but just did not do well defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->