OT: 2019 NHL Playoff Discussion

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I think that you mean: "Got ****ed Vegas".
The refs clearly tilted the ice to San Jose.

What? Guy took a cheap shot, got busted, team choked (and let's face it - 4 goals against in 5 minutes? That's Toronto v Boston level choking from a few years back right there, arguably worse), they go home. Finally, a thumb this season in the eye of the "you can't win playoffs without 'that kind of toughness'" people. San Jose finally figured out they needed to not play Vegas's game in game 5, only took 7 penalties in 11-12 periods, won 3 times.

Ironically, the team with the fewest PIM/gm this round was Boston.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
5 min major against Vegas was sketchy, but when you're up 3-1 in a 7 games series and you lose then you can't possibly blame the refs. Feel free to maybe win game 5 when the Sharks were on the ropes, or win game 6 at home, or maybe not allow the most goals in the history of the NHL on a single powerplay.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It'll be amusing if Sportsnet sees a viewership decline, especially after Sunbelt fans were told you could relocate their teams to anywhere from Flin Flon, Manitoba to Dildo, Newfoundland and the "real" fans would come out in droves.

edit: if you really want to know what it censored out just google it :laugh:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
5 min major against Vegas was sketchy, but when you're up 3-1 in a 7 games series and you lose then you can't possibly blame the refs. Feel free to maybe win game 5 when the Sharks were on the ropes, or win game 6 at home, or maybe not allow the most goals in the history of the NHL on a single powerplay.
Saw Ray Ferraro tweet this morning that he gave up 4 on one penalty to the Blues when he was with the Kings. I would have thought a record was set last night??

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Saw Ray Ferraro tweet this morning that he gave up 4 on one penalty to the Blues when he was with the Kings. I would have thought a record was set last night??
Yea as far as I know nobody has scored 5 on a single PP, so SJS/VGK tied the all time record for most goals scored/allowed on a single PP.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Still thinking that Sharks wanted to embellish on the first little cross-check, and then he got more than he asked for when Stastny came and pushed him to the ice.

Reactions: MIG

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Seems kinda odd to poke fun of finances for the Leaf's from a Coyote's site no??? But in fairness I don't watch Rogers unless there is no other choice.
Incorrect. I did not link the Leafs finances to anything. I don't appreciate Leafs nation - but insert any Canadian team's playoff failings with the same meaning. Most Canadians stop watching hockey when their team is eliminated. To the disdain of the massive profits of Rogers.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It'll be amusing if Sportsnet sees a viewership decline, especially after Sunbelt fans were told you could relocate their teams to anywhere from Flin Flon, Manitoba to *****, Newfoundland and the "real" fans would come out in droves.

edit: if you really want to know what it censored out just google it :laugh:
Hometown of Shannon Tweed for a little trivia. Not to far from Come By Chance!!!!

Reactions: Mosby

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Man the first round couldn't have gone much better IMO. Feel a little bad for Tampa and Nashville but they lost to fellow non-traditional markets so I'm totally cool with it. I'm pulling for Washington tomorrow because when the Coyotes are not involved I simply cannot route against Ovy but I wouldn't be upset if Canes pulled off the win.

The only truly unfortunate part of how the first round has gone is that because Toronto and Boston played each other, that one of them therefore had to win.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think the 5 minute major was a bad call but giving up 4 power play goals and blowing a 3-1 series lead...that's on the Golden Knights. They didn't have the series taken from them by the refs, they gave it away.
Maybe a little karma too. Vegas was very fortunate last year to have the cinderella season and make it to the finals, this year up 3-1, 4 pp goals and they are gone. Opposite finishes to their seasons.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I'm hoping the Canes come back and take it. That last Caps goal certainly makes it a little bit harder though.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Sharks are my team for the playoffs. Glad to see Vegas get knocked out and in great fashion. I'm glad their fans got to experience a little heartbreak. They can't make it to the Final every year.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Seedings are meaningless. So too is home ice. Just get in. Anything can happen. Hope it's us next year.

Man I don't know. Nassau seems deafening loud right now, I was hoping for a NYI/TOR series just to hear how the crowd berating Tavares. I've read how the Columbus cannon is really intimidating (never really bought into this one, but I've seen tweets, and pre-game write ups that mention it). But to me home ice boils down to what happened last night, I don't think SJ gets four goals in a major penalty if that isn't at home. I don't think it matters game to game, but in crucial moments it can. The more often you play at home, the more often you may get this benefit.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Seedings are meaningless. So too is home ice. Just get in. Anything can happen. Hope it's us next year.

Well, winning the division is a curse, obviously.

And getting in on a wild-card is a splendid idea.

Hasn't watched Canes-Caps. Been asleep. Will it be worth it in the evening when I know how it ends?

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I've read how the Columbus cannon is really intimidating (never really bought into this one, but I've seen tweets, and pre-game write ups that mention it).

I bet that cannon can get under a player's skin. Your team gives up a goal and mentally you're thinking "oh great now time for that f'ing cannon to top things off."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad