Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I don't think Hughes is going to stick at center. He's undersized, not great defensively, and his skating and offensive talent seems better suited to the wing.

I'm not sure what pedigree Kakko has long term at C, but we shouldn't be sleeping on him. Hughes vs. Kakko is debatable -- if we have a top-2 pick, we can't just sleep on him.

Reactions: Doothpick

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
if you get the 1st overall pick you are not passing on a potential offensive creater like Jack Hughes. Even if he moves to wing, he’ll be a Gaudreau or a Patrick Kane

I’d compare Kakko to Alex Radulov(which I say as a huge compliment to him)

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
if you get the 1st overall pick you are not passing on a potential offensive creater like Jack Hughes. Even if he moves to wing, he’ll be a Gaudreau or a Patrick Kane

You're selling Kakko a bit short here. Hughes is no slouch -- Patrick Kane is a good comparison -- but Kakko's projection lies a bit above Radulov. For one, he's a much better two-way player, and his play off the puck projects to be better as well. But more basely, Kakko is a fantastic skater, especially for his size, and his overall offensive game is amazingly rounded out considering how young he is. He's not a one-dimensional scorer -- there are a lot of gamebreaking facets to his game. The best part is that he's an incredibly intelligent player.

Hughes gets a lot of rep for his offensive talent, and it's definitely deserved. Compared to Kakko, his skating and dynamic offensive ability is better. He's got a decent shot, fantastic puck skills, and is very intelligent as well. He's not as good defensively, nor is he as versatile, but as much as Patrick Kane is a stylistic comparison, it's a talent projection, too.

All I want is for Kakko to not be slept on. I'd honestly prefer him over Hughes -- and I'm probably in the minority there -- but I'd definitely be overjoyed with either. I just think that the two aren't as far apart as people are making them out to be.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Crosby & Duchene are also Undersized Centers. So was Andy Mac.
Crosby is 200 lbs. and hardly undersized. He is lightyears stronger than Hughes on the puck and has the strength to outmuscle competitors. Andy McDonald (185 lbs.) and Matt Duchene (195) aren't (or weren't) as physical, but still have 20+ lbs. on Hughes. Claude Giroux, another smaller center -- he also weighs 185.

Height isn't really the issue here, because Hughes really isn't all that short, and there are quite a few centers around the league coming below 6 feet. But 165 lbs. is really light for a center. Compare him to someone like Mitch Marner (who HF had as a center in their 2015 draft review) and it's really hard to see Hughes sticking at center unless he seriously bulks up and refines his defensive game.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Crosby is 200 lbs. and hardly undersized. He is lightyears stronger than Hughes on the puck and has the strength to outmuscle competitors. Andy McDonald (185 lbs.) and Matt Duchene (195) aren't as physical, but still have 20+ lbs. on Hughes. Claude Giroux, another smaller center -- he also weighs 185.

Height isn't really the issue here, because Hughes really isn't all that short, and there are quite a few centers around the league coming below 6 feet. But 165 lbs. is really light for a center. Compare him to someone like Mitch Marner (who HF had as a center in their 2015 draft review) and it's really hard to see Hughes sticking at center unless he seriously bulks up and refines his defensive game.
You don't think he'll put on muscle/weight eventually ? Andy McDonald is listed as 175 pounds, i can only imagine he weighed less in his draft year.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
You don't think he'll put on muscle/weight eventually ? Andy McDonald is listed as 175 pounds, i can only imagine he weighed less in his draft year.
EP has him at 187.

In any case, it's a tad ambitious to expect that he'll simply put on 30 pounds of muscle without adversely affecting his offensive game. He'll put on more weight, for sure, but is he going to strengthen up enough to handle the physical rigor of the center position? I just don't think so.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You're selling Kakko a bit short here. Hughes is no slouch -- Patrick Kane is a good comparison -- but Kakko's projection lies a bit above Radulov. For one, he's a much better two-way player, and his play off the puck projects to be better as well. But more basely, Kakko is a fantastic skater, especially for his size, and his overall offensive game is amazingly rounded out considering how young he is. He's not a one-dimensional scorer -- there are a lot of gamebreaking facets to his game. The best part is that he's an incredibly intelligent player.

Hughes gets a lot of rep for his offensive talent, and it's definitely deserved. Compared to Kakko, his skating and dynamic offensive ability is better. He's got a decent shot, fantastic puck skills, and is very intelligent as well. He's not as good defensively, nor is he as versatile, but as much as Patrick Kane is a stylistic comparison, it's a talent projection, too.

All I want is for Kakko to not be slept on. I'd honestly prefer him over Hughes -- and I'm probably in the minority there -- but I'd definitely be overjoyed with either. I just think that the two aren't as far apart as people are making them out to be.
Fair enough.

I personally do not see the skills you’re talking about with Kakko. I could very well be wrong

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

This list is proof that we need to get another 1st rounder in this year's draft. Turcotte at 11, Kaliyev at 13, Newhook at 20, Pelletier at 31...

Nathan Legare not ranked in the first round, despite having a 1.3 PPG scoring pace on his draft year. :whatever:

Last edited:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think Hughes sticks at center. Most top centers arent his size, but most of them don't have his skill level either. He does nothing but generate scoring chances from the middle of the ice, even against older college competition.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Sebastian Aho is playing center full time now, right? I’d say that would be a good comparable for Hughes if he sticks at center.

Sebastian Aho vs Kaapo Kakko in their respective D years = night and day. What became of Aho is a whole another story though. Aho is incredibly strong even if he's got a smallish stature and that added with (current) elite skating keeps him on his feet most of the times.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Sebastian Aho vs Kaapo Kakko in their respective D years = night and day. What became of Aho is a whole another story though. Aho is incredibly strong even if he's got a smallish stature and that added with (current) elite skating keeps him on his feet most of the times.

What does Kakko have to do with my post?

paine

Jun 4, 2007

Hughes isn’t a goal scorer. He’s an elite playmaker. I wouldn’t compare him to Kane or Gaudreau.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
What does Kakko have to do with my post?

Just pointed out that Aho probably doesn't make a very good comparison (unless Hughes can develop as much muscle/core strength). Followed by trying to elaborate where the two (Aho/Kakko) where at while being compared to one another at same age.

In a theoretical scenario where Hughes turned into Aho clone, that'd be amazing outcome for whoever got him. Even still, knowing what I know now I would probably still take a gamble with Kakko.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Just pointed out that Aho probably doesn't make a very good comparison (unless Hughes can develop as much muscle/core strength). Followed by trying to elaborate where the two (Aho/Kakko) where at while being compared to one another at same age.

In a theoretical scenario where Hughes turned into Aho clone, that'd be amazing outcome for whoever got him. Even still, knowing what I know now I would probably still take a gamble with Kakko.

My point being if Hughes hits his immense upside, which I think he has a good chance of, he can still be an effective center despite his size.

Hughes has plenty of time to develop his core strength and his elite skating ability will already make it difficult for people to knock him off the puck.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
My point being if Hughes hits his immense upside, which I think he has a good chance of, he can still be an effective center despite his size.

Hughes has plenty of time to develop his core strength and his elite skating ability will already make it difficult for people to knock him off the puck.

This is also a good time.

Just imagine a guy like Paul Kariya in the league today. He would tear it up, even if he was undersized. The dude managed to be elite in a league where undersized players were at a huge advantage. It’s far more friendly to smaller players now, as long as you have the talent and the work ethic.

A guy like Crosby isn’t really undersized. He’s just not tall. He’s also a freak, and has a work ethic and a commitment that is second to none. No one should be compared to that. A guy like St. Louis might be a better comparison, in terms of what a small player can accomplish if they commit to the strength aspect, but again... that’s unusual. There are other smallish players who aren’t like that and have success. You don’t need tree trunks for legs, and to be comically strong for your size to be successful in the league.

Hughes is a talent. He’ll be fine, as a center or a winger. Injury concerns are a risk, but they’d be a risk if he were 6’3 too. Some players are just more prone to injury, and that’s something you typically find out after. The question is whether he’s talented enough to be an elite player in the NHL, and I think the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
Seems like everyone here is itching at the bit for a top 2 pick but what if this team didn't get the pick? Who would you take? If go for Dylan Cozens. I think he has the 3 S' necessary for success. Size, Speed, and Skill.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Dach shouldn't be breezed over... his vision and hockey IQ are something special -- almost Getzlafian. With that being said, if we miss out on a top two pick, I'd honestly rather reach for Turcotte. He's criminally underrated.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Turcotte small stick/super low stance puck possession reminds me kinda of Barzal, he uses a super short twig haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad