Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Does anyone think Chevy keeps Trouba all the way to UFA as our own "rental"?

Not sure. But given what's in the horizon I think next year should be a quick retool year. Get more youth into the lineup and look towards the post Seattle draft year to go for it again.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I think it's a real possibility and completely depends on 1) How the team does in playoffs, 2) what the offers look like at the draft and 3) how much of a message they want to send that when they draft you, you owe us at least 7 years and we'll trade you when we want to, not when you want us to. Play good and get us an offer we can't refuse.

The team stood up to him when he tried to pull a Nylander. The Leafs weren't able/willing to do the same. I could for sure see a scenario where they keep him as an own rental and then make an offer to him as a UFA. Maybe he'll find that the big money isn't there from the teams he "wants" to play for.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
NHL won't let teams use Golden Knights to circumvent Seattle draft process

The Vegas Golden Knights won't participate in Seattle's expansion draft, raising concerns that other teams could make deals with Vegas in order to work around the protection-list process.

A team could theoretically trade a player to the Golden Knights and recoup some value instead of losing that player to Seattle for nothing or, in a more drastic move, come to an agreement in which Vegas would trade a player back after the expansion draft.

Unlikely to be an issue as the NHL has to approve all transactions.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm starting to lean towards drafting a forward with that 2nd rounder. Defencemen are pretty light in this draft and there are a lot of solid forwards that could be available in that 55-62 range.

Harrison Blaisdale
Nikita Alexandrov
Kyle Topping
Henri Nikkanen
and Mikhail Abramov

Are all centers I wouldn't mind having in the system.

Reactions: snowkiddin

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm starting to lean towards drafting a forward with that 2nd rounder. Defencemen are pretty light in this draft and there are a lot of solid forwards that could be available in that 55-62 range.

Harrison Blaisdale
Nikita Alexandrov
Kyle Topping
Henri Nikkanen
and Mikhail Abramov

Are all centers I wouldn't mind having in the system.
what do you think of Henry Thrun?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
NHL won't let teams use Golden Knights to circumvent Seattle draft process

The Vegas Golden Knights won't participate in Seattle's expansion draft, raising concerns that other teams could make deals with Vegas in order to work around the protection-list process.

A team could theoretically trade a player to the Golden Knights and recoup some value instead of losing that player to Seattle for nothing or, in a more drastic move, come to an agreement in which Vegas would trade a player back after the expansion draft.

Unlikely to be an issue as the NHL has to approve all transactions.

Probably expecting too much but I hope 30 GM's agree...

Let Seattle have the 12th best player on our rosters and enjoy the years of mediocrity that will come from picking them.

All these damn side deals did was make Vegas stronger and it will be the same story all over again. :soap:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
what do you think of Henry Thrun?

Really polarizing player for me. A solid skater but he can go from doing every little thing right to completely blowing plays within a period. He can play physical and step up at the right times and keep plays alive or force opponents to back track and then other times he can completely misread plays and guys blow right by him. He can lead the puck up ice with crisp tape to tape passes and then he can just give the puck away on glaringly bad passes.

Has a lot to like about his game but fights with consistency issues quite a bit. Also plays his offside frequently on the USDP squad which could be why he sometimes has issues with reads and breakouts.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Probably expecting too much but I hope 30 GM's agree...

Let Seattle have the 12th best player on our rosters and enjoy the years of mediocrity that will come from picking them.

All these damn side deals did was make Vegas stronger and it will be the same story all over again. :soap:

This will actually make Seattle potentially better than Vegas IMO. What the GM's are saying is they can't use Vegas to stash players away. That doesn't benefit everyone else. That benefits Seattle. There will still be a tonne of side deals with every other team and based on the surge of young talent currently in the NHL. Teams stand to lose some very very good players. I do wonder if Seattle will try and collect more futures though.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Really polarizing player for me. A solid skater but he can go from doing every little thing right to completely blowing plays within a period. He can play physical and step up at the right times and keep plays alive or force opponents to back track and then other times he can completely misread plays and guys blow right by him. He can lead the puck up ice with crisp tape to tape passes and then he can just give the puck away on glaringly bad passes.

Has a lot to like about his game but fights with consistency issues quite a bit. Also plays his offside frequently on the USDP squad which could be why he sometimes has issues with reads and breakouts.
buddy of mine who follows drafts closely has him around the Jets 2nd rounder. The Jets seem to be heavily invested in the US prospects so he might be a candidate when the Jets select. Helleson is another guy

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
buddy of mine who follows drafts closely has him around the Jets 2nd rounder. The Jets seem to be heavily invested in the US prospects so he might be a candidate when the Jets select. Helleson is another guy

Helleson is more of a shutdown type. Makes good defensive reads and breaks up plays, good at turning the puck up ice. A strong player that likes to play physical. Not an overly great skater but not horrible either. He's not in my top 100 but I wouldn't be opposed to picking him in the late rounds. Not a high round pick for me.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Helleson is more of a shutdown type. Makes good defensive reads and breaks up plays, good at turning the puck up ice. A strong player that likes to play physical. Not an overly great skater but not horrible either. He's not in my top 100 but I wouldn't be opposed to picking him in the late rounds. Not a high round pick for me.

do you rank prospects more on upside (so a projected ceiling and high skill - i think this is more of Pronman's approach) or expected outcome (more of a conventional approach i suppose)?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
do you rank prospects more on upside (so a projected ceiling and high skill - i think this is more of Pronman's approach) or expected outcome?

Mostly upside. The more sure bet guys usually at the top, then the risk/reward types, then the role players. I rank role player types pretty low, unless they are elite in that role, because they can be found in a myriad of different ways that doesn't include using a draft pick on them. In many cases I'd rather take a risk/reward type that has potential to be a top 9 F or top 4 D over a guy who has a strong chance of being a solid depth player. It's not that I wouldn't want them but those types of guys aren't rare.

Reactions: DRW204

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stone got Brannstrom and a 2nd. A D is more valuable.

Trade deadline prices are inflated. They are not a good guideline for market value at any other time. Vegas also had a deal worked out for him ahead of time. No guarantee we can do that with Trouba. OTOH, draft picks tend to be valued highly at draft time, further reducing the value of the return if it is pick(s).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Trade deadline prices are inflated. They are not a good guideline for market value at any other time. Vegas also had a deal worked out for him ahead of time. No guarantee we can do that with Trouba. OTOH, draft picks tend to be valued highly at draft time, further reducing the value of the return if it is pick(s).
I would think the fact you have more teams you can trade to in off-season would increase value. It's interesting teams suggested he'd extend with aren't going to be buyers at TDL. Florida Detroit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would think the fact you have more teams you can trade to in off-season would increase value. It's interesting teams suggested he'd extend with aren't going to be buyers at TDL. Florida Detroit.

The TD has a lot of desperation in it. Teams way overbid - all the time.

There is interest in trades leading up to the draft, but high draft picks have suddenly gained value because the draft is right around the corner. Teams are matching actual player names up with picks. After the draft, it is Free Agent Frenzy time. Attention shifts to the FA's. After that dies down, most teams have made the moves they wanted. Now they are waiting to see what they look like in TC. The trade market is continually shifting, influenced by big events and deadlines.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yup. I wouldn't bet the farm on it. But I think Chevy has demonstrated that he wants to win a Cup before he loses Trouba. He also has been willing to keep trying to negotiate right up to the last minute. Maybe he is hoping that hoisting a Cup in Wpg will push Trouba over the hump to sign here.

Entirely possible, IMO.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Reactions: lanky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad