Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Because he's doing it the right way. There were certainly ways to speed this process up, but they would've resulted in the Devils being one of the worst teams again in a few years. Having a 1st round pick in 2019 sure helps things.

And that first round pick is a guarantee? The Devils can speed up the process without ending up one of the worst teams again in a few years. Or even a bad team.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
And that first round pick is a guarantee? The Devils can speed up the process without ending up one of the worst teams again in a few years. Or even a bad team.

It's not a guarantee. It's a better bet than going forward without it. Look, obviously if Schneider (or Kinkaid) were a .920 goalie the Devils wouldn't be in this position. There's a lot of nice pieces in the Devils' system, but organizationally we're not screaming 'future Cup contender' as much as 'future pretty good team'. A top pick would help a lot, and it would make up for 2016, when the Devils should've had a high pick and didn't (and McLeod doesn't look like he is going to be an impact player).

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
It's not a guarantee. It's a better bet than going forward without it. Look, obviously if Schneider (or Kinkaid) were a .920 goalie the Devils wouldn't be in this position. There's a lot of nice pieces in the Devils' system, but organizationally we're not screaming 'future Cup contender' as much as 'future pretty good team'. A top pick would help a lot, and it would make up for 2016, when the Devils should've had a high pick and didn't (and McLeod doesn't look like he is going to be an impact player).

I understand what you're saying, but you can also screw up a rebuild by being too slow, too deliberate, and too conservative in your approach. Shero not improving the team this off season in any way was not a good strategy. And we can keep this years 1 but what if we end up taking Olli Juolevi instead of Clayton Keller. Hall is 27, those prime years will be over before you know it.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Think of Bratt as the first rounder and ANDERSON as the second rounder. It makes anything else from that draft a nice bonus.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I understand what you're saying, but you can also screw up a rebuild by being too slow, too deliberate, and too conservative in your approach. Shero not improving the team this off season in any way was not a good strategy. And we can keep this years 1 but what if we end up taking Olli Juolevi instead of Clayton Keller. Hall is 27, those prime years will be over before you know it.
A team will never be a cup contender if they do not draft well. Stating that teams miss on picks makes little sense to me. You can miss on FA's and trades as well. The difference is missed draft picks do not end up costing a team on their salary cap. It does not affect the Devils now, but think how upset we would be Cory's contract if we actually had enough talent to be spending up to the cap.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
how can anyone watch these games and say goaltending is the biggest problem?

It is though, because the lack of structure/effort etc is all on coaching and that's much less of a problem to fix than goaltending. We have a below average starter in KK and a guy who should voluntarily retire due to his disgraceful play in Cory.

For all the crying and screaming about Ray sitting pat, what the hell could he have done to change things? With Hynes behind the bench and Cory in the locker room we'd be screwed even if he had traded futures for Erik Karlsson. This offseason is key. I think we need to see 3 things by next year. a) Coaching change; b) High Draft pick that could make an impact soon as well as Ty Smith coming in; and c) At least one big off-season move to improve the team (something like trading for Trouba, signing Stone or Duchene, etc).

Hell, for all we know Ray surprises us and makes a couple big moves. I don't think that's a realistic expectation, but this is an off-season that is presenting a lot of opportunities.
1- There are some great UFA fish.
2- Tampa and WPG will be in cap hell and will likely have to move some good assets. Toronto will likely have issues as well.
3- Besides being in a lottery position for the draft there's an opportunity to pick up a double over-ager who could step into NHL play and make an instant impact in Brett Leason with an early 2nd/late 1st.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you guys want a draft thread keep it to 2019 draft talk otherwise this thing's getting locked till Spring.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Having a full compliment of picks this season will absolutely help, and we should get one or two more for Mojo at the deadline.

I wouldn’t be holding my breath for a top 3 pick though. Between the unpredictable nature of the lotto plus the fact the team is going to level out and most likely end up in the latter half of the top 10. Maybe they get lucky, but you can’t depend on that.

I would research the hell out of 5-10 and pick a few names to follow from there.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm just dying for us to trade up and land another 1st round pick like the Flyers did with Konecny or the Ducks with Perry in 2003.

If we do add more picks by moving MoJo, or anyone else for that matter, I would try and move up in order to add quality over quantity... especially with all the picks we've had over the past couple of years.

If someone like Alex Turcotte were to fall because of recent injuries, he's the type of of player I'd target.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Kakko, Hughes if in the top 2 slots, 3-10 I like Byram, Turcotte, Krebs, Cozens, Broberg, Podkolzin, Zegras. no orfer, but Byram as my 3 love his game and think he is exactly who the devils need.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I like Dach, but his skating worries me a bit.

Interesting....the few reports I’ve read puts it as less than elite but the clips I’ve seen look like he’d be fine playing here.

Full disclosure, I really like Cozens, I think he’d be a great ‘modern’ power forward for the team, RH shot, scoring ability, passing ability, fast, can play in dirty areas, etc. I think he’ll transition to RW full time as a pro. But, I could be happy with a number of the forwards. I haven’t given much attention to Hughes or Kakko because I don’t expect the Devils to pick 1 or 2.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm just dying for us to trade up and land another 1st round pick like the Flyers did with Konecny or the Ducks with Perry in 2003.

That's how we got Gomez in 1998 as well. It's interesting to me as a draft geek that the analytics say it's better to trade down and accumulate more picks but historically the team trading up tends to do a lot better.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Man there are a lot of good players to choose from :0

Some players I like: hughes/kakko (obviously), Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Lavoie, Newhook, Cozens.

I also like caufield, honka, and dorofeyev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad