Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You are asking a lot of Smith to hold down a top pairing as a rookie. I’d prefer they find someone that can play top pair minutes with Vats to allow Smith to play third pair while he acclimates. It likely won’t be a legit first pair guy but someone borderline in the role would be fine for a season. The team could really use a legit first pair big bodied defender at LD1. That would dramatically change the team for the better, probably more than a 2C.

That's a great point.

Seeing as the best UFA LDs do not exactly fill this mold, I would find it likely that the Devils will seek a trade for such a player. Last season many of you might recall that I was all-in on the hope that the Devils would sign Calvin De Haan. The guy I really want this season is Tyler Myers, who I find would give the NJ D the size/strength/defensive acumen it sorely lacks while not taking away from the mobility/puck-moving which Shero covets.

This still wouldn't solve the LD problem, but I still feel that the Devils need to deal Greene at the deadline (as much as I personally love the guy). Calgary might add a prospect to a second-rounder if the Devils would retain some salary, they are really looking for a dependable bottom-pairing D like Greene.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We're probably going to end up with a high pick. And whoever that player ends up being he has to end up as a elite player and a superstar.

We blew it with Zacha and McLeod and that's one of the major reasons we're in this mess today's still.

Philadelphia ended up with Provorov and Konecny in the 1st round back in 2015. And they were both picked after Zacha...

I didn't realize Zacha wasn't an established NHLer and McLeod was already retired...

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
That's a great point.

Seeing as the best UFA LDs do not exactly fill this mold, I would find it likely that the Devils will seek a trade for such a player. Last season many of you might recall that I was all-in on the hope that the Devils would sign Calvin De Haan. The guy I really want this season is Tyler Myers, who I find would give the NJ D the size/strength/defensive acumen it sorely lacks while not taking away from the mobility/puck-moving which Shero covets.

This still wouldn't solve the LD problem, but I still feel that the Devils need to deal Greene at the deadline (as much as I personally love the guy). Calgary might add a prospect to a second-rounder if the Devils would retain some salary, they are really looking for a dependable bottom-pairing D like Greene.
I was a big proponent of signing De Haan last year. I'm wondering how he's doing with Carolina.(I have no idea). I'm not a big fan of Myers this year. My wish is to somehow trade for Brodin, who has been rumored to be available.

The biggest concern in acquiring a top LHD (via trade or FA) is Greene. If we insist on playing him (which I'm sure we would), we'd have Greene, Butcher and Smith battling for the remaining 2 LHD slots. I'm fine with Greene in a role similar to Lovejoy this year, but Smith isn't AHL eligible, and I don't think he has anything left to gain going back to the WHL. Both Butcher and Smith need to play, so we'd be kind of log-jammed on the left.

I suppose we could play Butcher on the right. I know Smith played mostly RD in juniors, but if we intend to groom him for a 1 or 2 LD position, he should start gaining experience there immediately.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If we move out of the top 5 and don’t win the lotto, I am not opposed to shopping the pick for a top D

...or you can just use the pick to draft Byram, who has PK Subban-like superstar upside. He's fast, smart, courageous, physical and dynamic. Unless the Kings lose their heads and offer us Doughty for the #5 pick, but I don't see that happening.

That being said, if I were Mr. Shero, I would certainly be making a generous offer to Erik Karlssson this summer. I also think that Tyler Myers would be a terrific fit -- he would give the size and strength the Devils blueline sorely lacks, while also offering the mobility and puck-distributing which Shero covets. It feels like Myers has been around forever, but I'm pretty sure he's not even 30 years old yet.

Reactions: Darkauron

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Realty is the first 6 ranked players will not all become stars. In fact odds are most of them won’t. Simply how it works.

So who is most likely to flame out or only be an average player at best?
Pavel Zacha.

Sorry, I'll show my self the door now....

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Ronnie Attard breaks modern-day USHL record for most goals by a defenseman

Maybe a name to remember for the middle rounds: Defenseman Ronnie Attard. Passed over a couple times but has absolutely exploded for 20 goals and 22 assists in 33 games for Tri-City of the USHL. Back in the day, Blake Coleman went undrafted before winning the USHL scoring title.

Attard is a fun player to watch - not flashy, but a big-bodied aggressive guy who shoots from the point. Not a natural puck-handler but mitigates that well with his quick passes and whatnot. His instincts are good. He makes you work for every inch of ice and definitely fits into a larger culture of "difficult to play against", so yes, I think a team will take a mid/late round flyer on the kid.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
...or you can just use the pick to draft Byram, who has PK Subban-like superstar upside. He's fast, smart, courageous, physical and dynamic. Unless the Kings lose their heads and offer us Doughty for the #5 pick, but I don't see that happening.

That being said, if I were Mr. Shero, I would certainly be making a generous offer to Erik Karlssson this summer. I also think that Tyler Myers would be a terrific fit -- he would give the size and strength the Devils blueline sorely lacks, while also offering the mobility and puck-distributing which Shero covets. It feels like Myers has been around forever, but I'm pretty sure he's not even 30 years old yet.

If he's around sure, but I don't think he'll be available outside of the top 5

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I didn't realize Zacha wasn't an established NHLer and McLeod was already retired...
Plus I always know who has not watched the Flyers this year if they talk about Provy like he is some great player. He turns the puck over so much if we drafted him everyone would be posting about Werenski or Rantanen.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Be all over him if we got that lucky, but I agree. I can’t see him lasting that long.

Man we could really get pushed back hard. So many just god awful teams in the west on top of Ottawa and Detroit. Hell even the Rags and Panthers are a losing streak away from joining the fun. Panthers potentially shipping Hoffman out will help their tank.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Be all over him if we got that lucky, but I agree. I can’t see him lasting that long.

Man we could really get pushed back hard. So many just god awful teams in the west on top of Ottawa and Detroit. Hell even the Rags and Panthers are a losing streak away from joining the fun. Panthers potentially shipping Hoffman out will help their tank.

Just remember, @StevenToddIves has Byram ranked higher than most of the top writers out there. Hockey also isn’t like football where you see 3 teams every year trying to trade up for the top QBs. Definitely a chance the top ranked D is sitting there at or around 5. A lot of it is going to depend on where these teams have him ranked.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Just remember, @StevenToddIves has Byram ranked higher than most of the top writers out there. Hockey also isn’t like football where you see 3 teams every year trying to trade up for the top QBs. Definitely a chance the top ranked D is sitting there at or around 5. A lot of it is going to depend on where these teams have him ranked.
I'm afraid the lack of D in this draft works against us. Even if they have Byram ranked later, it may cause one of them to "reach" and draft him higher. I felt a similar thing happened last year when the D crop was deep, but the Centers weren't. Montreal picked a center that most considered to be a reach.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I'm afraid the lack of D in this draft works against us. Even if they have Byram ranked later, it may cause one of them to "reach" and draft him higher. I felt a similar thing happened last year when the D crop was deep, but the Centers weren't. Montreal picked a center that most considered to be a reach.

If Detroit ends up with a pick before us then he's 100% gone. Colorado if they aren't top 2 makes sense too since they are weak on the left side.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If Detroit ends up with a pick before us then he's 100% gone. Colorado if they aren't top 2 makes sense too since they are weak on the left side.
Definite possibility, but Detroit was in desperate need of D last year too, and they ended up picking a forward which proves to me they're disciplined enough to go BPA. They MAY have Byron rated higher than the forward tier, but they may not.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Definite possibility, but Detroit was in desperate need of D last year too, and they ended up picking a forward which proves to me they're disciplined enough to go BPA. They MAY have Byron rated higher than the forward tier, but they may not.

That's fair, I feel like last year they had a couple of odd circumstances happen to not choose D. I don't think any players this year are that much ahead of each other outside of hughes/kakko so they may lean need since there isn't a discernible difference between players 3-10 . Zadina was right near Svechnikov and tkachuk and then there was a drop off in talent to most people. I would think Detroit would aim for Byram, but maybe they will just forever go BPA and never have a good D core.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm still convinced that even if they finish last ottawa wont win the lotto. just my guessing thats all dont think it will look good at all if they did and had to give the pick away

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

As long as NJ doesn't reach it will be fine. I trust STI (who knew a cool rally car could also scout hockey) when he says that there are several building block forwards available in the top ten. He's had a pretty good feel for the draft, as I see it, since I've started reading his material. If NJ misses Byram but comes away from the draft with a center who is a core piece going forward it will be hard to complain about that. To me, it doesn't look like Byram is going to step in at 18 and be a number one right away (look at the growing pains Provorov is having in PHI this year for example) so the impact on the team may be several years away regardless of who is picked. Watching Nico and Bratt last night I'll trust Castron and Shero to be intellectually honest and make the correct call.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I think it depends on who picks. Byram is not universally ranked in the top 5 -- I have him ranked higher than anyone I've seen, at #3 overall. The teams which concern me the most are Vancouver and Detroit. Detroit has virtually the same record the Devils do and is desperate for a future top-pairing D. Vancouver is also deep in young forwards and organizationally a bit needy on the blueline (outside of Quinton Hughes, of course), and could be a trade-up candidate.

Let's say the Devils, as suggested, draft 6th. Whomever gets the top two picks are taking Hughes and Kakko, I think we can all agree on that. It is very likely that the next three picks (if NJ, DET, VAN draft later on) are some combination of Podkolzin/Cozens/Dach, all generally ranked above Byram. Also, several teams are likely to have players like Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy and Krebs higher on their draft boards than Byram.

There is a ton of fluidity and all I'm doing is subjectively speculating. That being said, if I'm the Devils, I hang onto a top 7 pick no matter what. Let's face it, Drew Doughty and Seth Jones are not going to be available in trades. I think the Devils should hope Byram falls, but if not I would be thrilled to get a kid like Turcotte or Zegras -- both of whom have dynamic 1C upside.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As long as NJ doesn't reach it will be fine. I trust STI (who knew a cool rally car could also scout hockey) when he says that there are several building block forwards available in the top ten. He's had a pretty good feel for the draft, as I see it, since I've started reading his material. If NJ misses Byram but comes away from the draft with a center who is a core piece going forward it will be hard to complain about that. To me, it doesn't look like Byram is going to step in at 18 and be a number one right away (look at the growing pains Provorov is having in PHI this year for example) so the impact on the team may be several years away regardless of who is picked. Watching Nico and Bratt last night I'll trust Castron and Shero to be intellectually honest and make the correct call.

Thanks for the kind words, and I agree with all of your sentiment about the draft. I will say (since someone will certainly ask) that I like Byram better at this point than I liked either Provorov or Werenski in their draft year. Although I was high on both Werenski (I ranked him 8 OA) and Provorov (9 OA), I feel Byram is more physical and plays with just an off-the-charts compete level. It's as if he is determined to be the best player on the ice every moment he is on the ice. This is not even mentioning his plus-plus tools across the board, the kid just doesn't have a weakness to me.

Again, I suggest people read more than just what I say. I have Byram ranked #3, but scouts/writers who are far more established than myself generally rank him in the 5 to 8 range. I'm pretty confident in my ranking though, and for now I'm sticking with it.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Thanks for the kind words, and I agree with all of your sentiment about the draft. I will say (since someone will certainly ask) that I like Byram better at this point than I liked either Provorov or Werenski in their draft year. Although I was high on both Werenski (I ranked him 8 OA) and Provorov (9 OA), I feel Byram is more physical and plays with just an off-the-charts compete level. It's as if he is determined to be the best player on the ice every moment he is on the ice. This is not even mentioning his plus-plus tools across the board, the kid just doesn't have a weakness to me.

Again, I suggest people read more than just what I say. I have Byram ranked #3, but scouts/writers who are far more established than myself generally rank him in the 5 to 8 range. I'm pretty confident in my ranking though, and for now I'm sticking with it.

But do you agree with the rally car stuff?

My3Sons

Sponsor
It would be ironic if he drove an Evo :)

I had a first generation WRX hatch. Loved that car. Even tweaked it a bit which is not my normal routine. I was disappointed when the WRC changed and Subaru stopped offering an official entry. Somewhere, I actually have a Petter Sollberg autograph. I remember explaining to my kids about the STI/Evo rivalry when they played Grand Turismo.

P.S. BPA

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I had a first generation WRX hatch. Loved that car. Even tweaked it a bit which is not my normal routine. I was disappointed when the WRC changed and Subaru stopped offering an official entry. Somewhere, I actually have a Petter Sollberg autograph. I remember explaining to my kids about the STI/Evo rivalry when they played Grand Turismo.

P.S. BPA
I'd take you on in my MazdaSpeed 6 that I've tweaked but it's getting old, I'M getting old, and I'm a bad driver :)

My3Sons

Sponsor

Where would Byram compare to a Heiskanen? I ask because he needed a year of seasoning and as good as he is I don’t think he’s ready to be a true first pairing guy yet. If Byram is as good as that, I think fans will have to temper expectations for an immediate impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad