Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Besides the scouting reports that are out there, does anyone have any info on Thomas Harley? Big LHD and should be in the range of any additional 1st the Devils acquire (if they decide to keep it).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Heart and hustle guys are important cogs (Coleman and Zajac and Palms come to mind) but I think your first round pick should have enough skill to transcend the limits of heart and hustle (Hall amd Nico seem to fit in this category). I hope the team can balance the multiple elements as well as hey did with the Nico and Smith picks the past two seasons. I don’t see NJ in the top five picks this season. Too many truly putrid teams this season and MBW will win some more games than Schneider would have.

I think Ray and Castron have a good feel for the draft now after a hit and miss first one (McLeod and Bratt).

Edited to note that I don’t see McLeod as a miss yet. It’s his first pro season and the jury is still out on him. I was speaking in my post more about my perception of the approach to the draft Ray and Castron took that season.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Between him and Tedenby.

I wish there was a gif of this glare that Elias gave Tedenby. Elias was behind the net and sent a blind centering pass into the slot but nobody was there. Then he takes a look to his right and sees Tedenby right next to him. Give him this glare as if to say "Why are you here?"

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
If we end up picking 10 or later I want Arthur Kaliyev.

Character concerns be damned, the man can flat out play. If you buy into NHLe he's scoring at a higher rate than Nico did in his draft year.

He's not a center, but someone like him lining up behind Hall for the next five, six, seven years sounds pretty awesome.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
do we really have that much LW depth? and we seem to have LD options with smith, bernard, and davies

here are the guys we have in the organization that can or have played LW

Hall
Johansson
Bratt
Wood
Coleman
Zacha
Seney
Boyle
Boqvist
Quenneville
Talvitie
Studenic

I'm sure I am forgetting some

Reactions: OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
here are the guys we have in the organization that can or have played LW

Hall
Johansson
Bratt
Wood
Coleman
Zacha
Seney
Boyle
Boqvist
Quenneville
Talvitie
Studenic

I'm sure I am forgetting some
oof lol, guess it's not so immediate. though idk if our LW prospect pool is that filled. it's nice that talvitie played LW at the WJCs, but idk if studenic is really a LW

i totally can see the boqvist argument though

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Why is RD so low on people's list? Next year we have:
Vatanen
Severson
Santini
????

I mean... I guess we can play Butcher, Smith, or Mueller on their off side? Or count on Walsh signing and jumping right into the NHL? Or re-sign Lovejoy? Or hope Josh Jacobs can make the leap? What happens the year after that if we can't re-sign Vatanen?

Compared to the left side (Smith, Butcher, Mueller, Greene, maybe Yakovlev, and later on Davies and Sissions) we seem awfully thin on the right after our starters.

Considering what we have in the LD pipeline, I would put C as our top need. Our entire system has 3 players with an outside chance at 2C - Zacha, McLeod, and Seney, and none of them look probable (although I'm actually pulling for McLeod).

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
The player people are sleeping on in this draft is Peyton Krebs, he’s an absolutely phenomenal player.

He has the same misfortune as Ty Dellandrea in that he’s overlooked because he plays on a dumpster fire of a team. He’s more or less the only good player on Kootenay, his already impressive statline would likely be incredible if he had more talent to work with.

While LW isn’t an organizational need so to speak, he’s too good to pass up if he’s available when we pick. I have him as the BPA after Hughes/Kakko are off the board, although Cozens isn’t far behind and fits our positional needs a little more. Cozens is a hell of a player too, but he has an infinitely better supporting cast in Lethbridge, it makes a considerable difference.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Why is RD so low on people's list? Next year we have:
Vatanen
Severson
Santini
????

I mean... I guess we can play Butcher, Smith, or Mueller on their off side? Or count on Walsh signing and jumping right into the NHL? Or re-sign Lovejoy? Or hope Josh Jacobs can make the leap? What happens the year after that if we can't re-sign Vatanen?

Compared to the left side (Smith, Butcher, Mueller, Greene, maybe Yakovlev, and later on Davies and Sissions) we seem awfully thin on the right after our starters.

Considering what we have in the LD pipeline, I would put C as our top need. Our entire system has 3 players with an outside chance at 2C - Zacha, McLeod, and Seney, and none of them look probable (although I'm actually pulling for McLeod).

Because Vatanen and Severson are both solid NHL defenseman, both probably top 4 type of players and on the left side you could argue in the NHL right now we have 0 true top 4 D men with Butcher being a borderline second/third pair guy. Santini is someone who could play the bottom pair well, and we have reilly wlash as the second best D prospect we have. Yak isnt an NHL defenseman and I think that's pretty clear, Mueller is someone who is struggling to find a role but can probably be a bottom pair guy just like Santini. Greene is a year away from retiring and Smith can be a stud, but looking at the big picture you need 2 stud LHD to pair with Severson and vatanen and Im not sure if we have 2 right now. Butcher to me is better off being a bottom pair stud who gets PP opportunities.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Because Vatanen and Severson are both solid NHL defenseman, both probably top 4 type of players and on the left side you could argue in the NHL right now we have 0 true top 4 D men with Butcher being a borderline second/third pair guy. Santini is someone who could play the bottom pair well, and we have reilly wlash as the second best D prospect we have. Yak isnt an NHL defenseman and I think that's pretty clear, Mueller is someone who is struggling to find a role but can probably be a bottom pair guy just like Santini. Greene is a year away from retiring and Smith can be a stud, but looking at the big picture you need 2 stud LHD to pair with Severson and vatanen and Im not sure if we have 2 right now. Butcher to me is better off being a bottom pair stud who gets PP opportunities.
Agreed. We have quantity on the left and quality on the right.

However, I think when you're talking about the draft, you have to think more about the future than the present. Anyone we draft will probably be a couple years away from the NHL and a year or two more to be a Top 4. In that time we already have players with potential in the pipeline. Besides Walsh, I don't really see anyone viable in the pipeline on the right.

Because of this, I feel that Ignoring the right D is probably short-sighted.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
The player people are sleeping on in this draft is Peyton Krebs, he’s an absolutely phenomenal player.

He has the same misfortune as Ty Dellandrea in that he’s overlooked because he plays on a dumpster fire of a team. He’s more or less the only good player on Kootenay, his already impressive statline would likely be incredible if he had more talent to work with.

While LW isn’t an organizational need so to speak, he’s too good to pass up if he’s available when we pick. I have him as the BPA after Hughes/Kakko are off the board, although Cozens isn’t far behind and fits our positional needs a little more. Cozens is a hell of a player too, but he has an infinitely better supporting cast in Lethbridge, it makes a considerable difference.

But can Krebs cycle?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Agreed. We have quantity on the left and quality on the right.

However, I think when you're talking about the draft, you have to think more about the future than the present. Anyone we draft will probably be a couple years away from the NHL and a year or two more to be a Top 4. In that time we already have players with potential in the pipeline. Besides Walsh, I don't really see anyone viable in the pipeline on the right.

Because of this, I feel that Ignoring the right D is probably short-sighted.

If we draft Bowen Byram that is not true IMO. Also theoretically we have 3 RHD for the next few years at a minimum and assuming Vatanen signs an extension the top 4 RHD are slotted for 5+ years. Whereas on the left we have butcher, maybe mueller and smith. A pressing need is LHD and I dont think anyone says we dont need any RHD in the draft it was just listing the needs by position.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
okay rephrasing my question

IGNORING who we have in the NHL already, what is our priority list, PROSPECT wise

Ok. Let's look at the pipeline and potential NHL players worth noting (i.e. I'm not bothering including guys like Rooney and Pietila).

C: Seney (if you still count him as a prospect), McLeod, Gignac, Quenneville, Sharangovich.
Seney looks more like a winger at his size. McLeod and Gignac have a shot at being top 6 centers. I've written off JQ (perhaps prematurely).

LW: Boqvist, Talvitie
Boqvist is hopefully a top 6 winger. Talvite looks to be a good middle 6.

RW: Anderson, Studenic, Zetterlund, Lappin, Bastian
We've been drafting pretty heavy on the RW, so I feel like we have a lot of potential mid 6 wingers here. Maybe even top 6.

LD: Smith, Davies, Sissions, Davies
Potential 1st pairing D in Smith. I'd hope that at least 1 of the the other 3 become top 2 pairing material.

RD: Walsh, Jacobs
Walsh hopefully develops into 1st or 2nd pairing. I feel Jacobs has an outside shot at 3rd pairing.

G: Umm... err... uhh....
I agree with Jim. Goalies are so unpredictable that it's probably not a good idea to spend a high draft pick on one.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Ok. Let's look at the pipeline and potential NHL players worth noting (i.e. I'm not bothering including guys like Rooney and Pietila).

C: Seney (if you still count him as a prospect), McLeod, Gignac, Quenneville, Sharangovich.
Seney looks more like a winger at his size. McLeod and Gignac have a shot at being top 6 centers. I've written off JQ (perhaps prematurely).

LW: Boqvist, Talvitie, Pietila
Boqvist is hopefully a top 6 winger. Talvite looks to be a good middle 6.

RW: Anderson, Studenic, Zetterlund, Lappin, Bastian
We've been drafting pretty heavy on the RW, so I feel like we have a lot of potential mid 6 wingers here. Maybe even top 6.

LD: Smith, Davies, Sissions, Davies
Potential 1st pairing D in Smith. I'd hope that at least 1 of the the other 3 become top 2 pairing material.

RD: Walsh, Jacobs
Walsh hopefully develops into 1st or 2nd pairing. I feel Jacobs has an outside shot at 3rd pairing.

G: Umm... err... uhh....
I agree with Jim. Goalies are so unpredictable that it's probably not a good idea to spend a high draft pick on one.
so funnily enough, our RD side is really light, as is our left side. logically speaking, we should be going after LH centers who can pivot to LW

also add bernard to LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad